Fanboys

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Check out the plotline:

"Four guys from the Midwest drive across the country to honor the wish of their dying friend: to watch Star Wars Episode I:The Phantom Menace at George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch before the movie's worldwide release."

Included in the cast of this comedy (yes, this is going to be a comedy) is none other than Ray Park. I like the title but prefer if they've used it in a documentary format. Like Hammil did with Comic Book The Movie.

C-Dic
I hope George Lucas sues the hell out of these assclowns. I couldn't stand another documentary where SW fans furthur solidify stereotypes, making all SW fans look like complete losers.

Wolfie
Actually, Lucas has a big sense of humor about this kind of stuff. I don't see any lawsuits happening.

Anyway, the movie sounds horrible.

WrathfulDwarf
I'm sure the guys aren't doing this in a negative sense directed at the fans. If SW fans can't take a joke then maybe is best not to even acknowledge their fanbase.

C-Dic
Making light of one's geekdom doesn't make it any more acceptable. Only more pathetic, the lengths people went to for a movie. Star Wait, Star Woids, and Triumph at the Episode 2 debut are the best examples.

sithsaber408
I've been reading about this one for a few months, at TF.N and at AICN.

The people behind it have a great idea for a film, methinks.

The fat guy from AICN, Harry Knowles, is in the film, and some actor is playing him.

I think this movie will be more of a celebration of starwars fandom, than a diss to it.

I even sent the guys an e-mail to be an extra for the flick (they were taking requests at TF.N) but I never heard back from them. sad

WrathfulDwarf
I think this will be like Trekkies but with a Star Wars theme and a comedic twist...

sithsaber408
Sam Huntington, who stars as Jimmy Olsen in Warner Bros. Pictures' Superman Returns, gave ComingSoon.net an update on Fanboys, the comedy-drama that Kevin Spacey's Trigger Street is producing for The Weinstein Company. Huntington co-stars with Dan Fogler, Kristen Bell, Jay Baruchel and Chris Marquette as "Star Wars" geeks in Kyle Newman's directorial debut.

"It's fantastic. I got to work with Kevin Spacey again, which was real exciting," said Huntington. "Yeah, it's called 'Fanboys' and it comes out, I think, beginning of next year -- and it's about 'Star Wars' fans. It's about these four friends who drive from Ohio to San Francisco in 1998 to steal a copy of 'Episode I The Phantom Menace' from the Skywalker Ranch and it's really, really funny and it's a very very emotionally powerful, believe it or not, because they're fulfilling the wish of their dying friend. And I know that sounds very cliched, but it's actually very tastefully done."

He says he plays "a car salesman who is kind of like hounding the trip. I play a guy who basically has been segregated from his fanboy friends. They've all continued on after college to remain fanboys and I've kind of gone the corporate road and work for my day at a car dealership and inherit it at the beginning of the movie and then it just kind of goes on after that. That's right. I rediscover my inner fanboy."

Asked how the fanboys in the film will react to Jar Jar Binks, Huntington said, "Jar Jar appears in the movie in a very very funny way that I can't reveal to you, because it's absolutely hysterical. It's one of my favorite moments in the whole movie."

He added that George Lucas does make an appearance. "Needless to say, we kiss his ass for an hour-and-a-half, he kind of had to sign off on it, you know. The extend of his... I should keep that kind of a mystery, the extent of his involvement. It's very cool. It's going to be a fun, fun movie."

SpaceMonkey
When is this coming out?

WrathfulDwarf
No release date yet.

Lucid Shogun
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I think this will be like Trekkies but with a Star Wars theme and a comedic twist...

Trekkies was a documentary.

This looks more like a comedy.

Tptmanno1
Looks fun...
but I'm not holding my breath until I hear more.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
When is this coming out?

First quarter of 2007.

Here's an early review:

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp?aid=2782&tcid=1

forumcrew
kristen bell being in it gives me hope

WrathfulDwarf
Here is the Trailer:

0rQtBmVzS78

smile

sithsaber408
thumb up

Dammit, the review that I'd posted is no longer on there.

Well, it was a positive review, anyways.

I'll be seeing this film. smile

The Core
Looks well made, but will probably be in very limited release.

SpaceMonkey
Well, I wanna see it. Just out of curiousity.

Wolfie
I gotta admit, the lightspeed bit got a slight chuckle out of me. I'm still not expecting anything from this though.

Strangelove
...that looks less like a documentary and more like an actual movie. And maybe that's what it is, but I'd always heard it was a doc.

Kram3r
I thought the trailer looked great. I hope they didn't cram all the funny parts into that trailer. I'll see it when it comes out.

"Are you kidding? I'm Shatner, I can score anything"

laughing out loud

bogen
Sounds funny, strange, awkward and shite all at the same time.

*edit for spelling

epicadventure
I think the movie looks like fun! Though I think it really helps to have a handle on nerd culture, so you can appreciate the in-jokes, references, and even subject matter.

I'll be seeing it when it comes out and while I do think it'll be good, I'm not expecting it to blow me away.

Lunch_Meat
This movie looks stupid, when i first heard about it i was like "alright!" an ultimate nerd movie. but then i saw the trailer and it was basically an excuse to use the plot line in some stupid teen movie full of jokes about sex, gay.

wuTa
Did I see the kid from Just Friends in that movie, that kid cracks me up

forumcrew
Star Wars.. Check
Kristen Bell.. Check

I'm there!

Impediment
I'm actually giddy like a school girl to go see this!

UBkA3R2Habo

See the Wiki article here.

Supposedly to be released by January of 2008.

ragesRemorse
Movie just looks incredible

WrathfulDwarf
Recent article on Fanboys!

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Wolfie
I gotta admit, the lightspeed bit got a slight chuckle out of me. I'm still not expecting anything from this though.

big grin That and the Star Trek bit.

ragesRemorse
i first saw this trailer during Clerks 2, is this ever going to come out?

Robtard
As the Australian noted, the trailer does look funny. I've also been to Skywalker Ranch, this will be a nostalgic moment for me.

For the record, ST fanboys are silly assclowns, even the venerable grandmaster of the force G. Lucas said this.

ragesRemorse
thats ironic because, Lucas Entertainment and industries have dropped to be about as entertaining as the latest star trek movies and serials.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i first saw this trailer during Clerks 2, is this ever going to come out?

Many were considering this to be a straight to DVD release. But I guess things have change. I really hope this film delivers the goods.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Many were considering this to be a straight to DVD release. But I guess things have change. I really hope this film delivers the goods.

Really, i remember hearing Scott Mosier on Smodcast, last year talking about how he was finishing the editing for the theatrical release. I think it has potential, but these buddy movies usually dont fair to well in the numbers department, eh

WrathfulDwarf
From comic con:

cSAoXeGc7as

S_D_J
how long is it gonna take to release this movie?

I swear I heard about it only when it's comic con, ...or celebration.. erm

ragesRemorse
UBkA3R2Habo

Originally, this movie was about some star wars fans who try to see, The Phantom Menace, before it is released because one of their friends is terminally ill with cancer and there is a good chance he wont live long enough for the premiere. The cancer concept was frowned upon and many many re-edits were ordered by the Weinstein company to tone down the cancer aspect. This explains why the original release date for the winter of 2006 was pushed back, but now in late 2008 the movie has been finished for many months, yet still sits in the can. Why is this movie taking so long to be released?

Considering that George Lucas himself approved of the original cut, including the cancer plot point. Do you think there was any justifiable reason for the Weinsteins to demand so many re-shoots and does this worry you about the quality of the final product?

WrathfulDwarf
Well, it's a ***** to change it. So might as well make the guy have a broken leg or something....damn...this movie is going nowhere. That sucks...

BruceSkywalker
A new trailer..

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=50196

ragesRemorse
The movie still looks just as funny but the longer this movie takes to get released the less appeal it's humor will offer. It has become a cliche to spoof star wars and no longer an inside joke to fans. Two years and it still isn't released, damn.

WrathfulDwarf
They missed the deadline to go together with Clone Wars.

So at this point the movie is becoming a turn off....pity.

S_D_J
I like the trailer... but the movie seems like a moot point by now erm

Impediment
ntzYG9t5zi0

Is this movie ever gonna release?

I really, really want to see this.

Raoul
i really want to see this... sad

Prabhodh
limited release 6 February in the USA... not sure when in Australia.

jinXed by JaNx
after all this time they was no reason to even give it a limited release. It should have been direct to dvd

SergeiSidorov
Come on..."I'm William Shatner, I can score anything." SOLD. I'm there on opening night.

Wolfie
So no one here has seen it yet?

I guess I'm a lucky one then. I found it HILARIOUS! It's strange to look back on my old posts in this thread, thinking it'll be awful. Boy, was I wrong!

I'm glad they put the cancer angle back into the movie. It gave the movie a purpose and makes you hope that they will make it Skywalker Ranch. If the cancer angle wasn't in it, I would be thinking, "Who cares? These are just a few nerds that can't wait six months to see it."

The Star Wars references are plentiful, but not overdone.

steverules_2
Why are the makers being retarded and not releasing it world wide? I really wanna see this film

LDHZenkai
Originally posted by steverules_2
Why are the makers being retarded and not releasing it world wide? I really wanna see this film
Then snatch up utorrent or vuze? Or order from amazon.com when it comes out on dvd!

steverules_2
Originally posted by LDHZenkai
Then snatch up utorrent or vuze? Or order from amazon.com when it comes out on dvd!

Far as I know there aren't any torrents from it, heard there were fake ones...but we're not allowed to talk about torrents on KMC

jinXed by JaNx
I couldn't find one theater in my area that was hosting this movie. I'm sick of always having to wait three years for finished movies to release. Trick r Treat mad

steverules_2
I do not like that this brilliant looking movie not being released here

Robtard
I do not like that this brilliant looking movie not being released here

Tell you what, Steve. Since I greatly approve of your avatar, I'll make you a copy once it gets released to DVD (and I Netflix it) and mail it to you completely free of charge.

Yes, this is a serious offer.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Tell you what, Steve. Since I greatly approve of your avatar, I'll make you a copy once it gets released to DVD (and I Netflix it) and mail it to you completely free of charge.

Yes, this is a serious offer.

What a nice guy. weep

Mairuzu
not till may erm

Robtard
PM me a mailing address sometime in May then, Steve.

(BTW, blank DVD's are about .18 cents and postage for me will be free, word)

steverules_2
I knew this avy would pay off big grin Thanks Rob big grin

Robtard
No worries, just don't forget to PM a mailing address you'd like it sent to.

I'll burn the disk 'region-less', so it should play wherever you are.

Mairuzu
He just wants your address for his penetration across america tour

Robtard
Originally posted by Mairuzu
He just wants your address for his penetration across america tour

Say hello to your mother for me.

Impediment
Is it that hard to use the search function, Steve?

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Robtard
Say hello to your mother for me. ohhh

steverules_2
I live in the UK, one of the many other places that didn't get the film sad

Raoul
Just watched this last night. Loved it. Very funny, yet handled the emotional stuff pretty well.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Raoul
Just watched this last night. Loved it. Very funny, yet handled the emotional stuff pretty well.

Couldnt agree more. This movie was excellent. The cameos were awesome. Specially Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. I loved the ending the most because when I saw Episode I at the midnight showing, it was pretty much as in the movie (the cosplay, people screaming when the movie started. Just awesome.

jinXed by JaNx
Funniest goddamn movie i have seen in years. Love it...,LOVE IT.

Mindset
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Funniest goddamn movie i have seen in years. Love it...,LOVE IT. Is this the only movie you've seen in years?

Robtard
I live in the UK, one of the many other places that didn't get the film sad

Got a copy today. PM me if you want a copy.

Impediment
I just bought Fanboys last night. I loved it. Honestly, to really enjoy this movie, you need to be a fan. That's probably why my wife stopped watching it after the first 15 minutes. The cameos were funny, and the emotional side plot was handled well, in my opinion.

My favorite scene was when the guys crash the Trekkie tour in Iowa and start a bunch of shit and destroy the statue.

forumcrew
Yea I finally saw it myself and it was ok. I dont know maybe because I have been waiting to see it for years it just did not live up to it for me. It was ok but not great had some laughs and had Kirsten Bell.

Neo_Version 7
Kristen Bell didn't look the best but it was still nice to see her.

And as much as I find Seth Rogen hit-or-miss, his turn as a "Trekker" was hilarious.

"Name me a character in Star Trek who suffered from a respiratory disease."

Epic lulz.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Impediment
Is it that hard to use the search function, Steve?

If I said no would you believe me? hmm

darthmaul1
I am a very big star wars fan, and this movie was OK, but it just didn't do it for me. It was funny in places, but it just didn't come across right some how. Maybe because we had been hearing about it for a few years and it built it up too much? The musical queues seemed off and the end could of been better, with them all watching the movie at the ranch instead. and i just didn't feel the emotionality that the guy was dying.
I guess i was expecting more like harlod and kumar type of adventure, but got what looked like something put together by highschool kids.
Watching the trailers was much better.

SnakeEyes
This movie was alright. Like some of you, I was kind of underwhelmed after waiting for such a god damn long time. Some of the Star Wars jokes and cameos were cool; other than that it wasn't that great.

Impediment
It was a good film, but not epic, like I had hoped. Still, for any SW fan, it's a must watch.

Robtard
Exactly, it wasn't great, had a few great 'haha' moments, but for a SW or Trek fan, it's a good watch.

Sadako of Girth
Indeed.
Got to see it this week.
I enjoyed it.

But did that big guy think he was Jack Black or something...?
On the 3rd watch I was ready to kill him lolz.

I agree that there was great moments throughout.
The ST vs SW fight reminded me a little of Anchorman.
The movie definitely observed the ways of the Fanboy and lived well up to its name.

Many thanks to Robtard, for sorting it out.... smile

"But what if it sucks...?" lolz

Impediment
It was definitely worth my money, and was a good watch, and is a good addition to my dvd library. Still, like the Watchmen movie, it had so much wasted potential.

I give it a solid 8.

benythor
it was a wonderful movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.