Relatives in wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FunkMaster Flex
Here is where you can talk about your relatives who were in wars.

My great uncle Buster, was in I think Iwo Jima during WWII. He was with a squad, and a grenade was thrown at them. My great uncle, covered the grenade with his body, and saved his comerades. He too, miraculously survived. He recieved a purple heart for his actions, and currently my aunt is trying to get him a Congressional Medal of Honor for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Morgoths_Wrath
my grandfather fought in Korea

Captain REX
My great grandfather on my mother's was in the Navy in World War 1, and my grandfather on my dad's side went to Guam in World War 2, didn't see any action, though.

Way back on my dad's side, I had a Lt. Col. Lawson B. Hovis who fought on the Confederate side of the Civil War.

And then, my dad's good friend's dad stepped on a landmine in either WW2 or Vietnam.

Darth Macabre
My great x9 (or 10) Grand fathers fought in the American Revolution...And one side of the family fought for the North in the Civil war while the other for the South....Then my grandfather fought in Africa during ww2....My Uncle in Korea....And my cousin in the Gulf.

FunkMaster Flex
Whoa. How do you know that about the Revolution?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by FunkMaster Flex
Whoa. How do you know that about the Revolution?

My father's father was obsessed with our heritage...He spent all the money he made researching our family tree....Well, to say the least he suceeded...We have a family tree that can date back to the 1600's (When my family first came to America)

That's why I call him my father's father...He was hadn't the time to be a grand father to me.

Jim Reaper
My Great Grandfather was a dough-boy in WW1. He fought in the trenches, and was shot twice in the stomach. He taught himself to read and write, so he could communicate with home while he was deployed. I have a cool pic of him in uniform, I look much like him.

Captain REX
That's neat, Macabre, I also had a relative fighting in the Revolutionary War, he was wounded at Lexington.

I'm also related to Patrick Henry. eek!

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Captain REX
That's neat, Macabre, I also had a relative fighting in the Revolutionary War, he was wounded at Lexington.

I'm also related to Patrick Henry. eek!

Really? As in the Governor of Virginia?

Bardock42
My Grandfather killed Americans in World War 2....

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Bardock42
My Grandfather killed Americans in World War 2....

It's good to hear people from the other side of the war...Do you know what division or anything he was in?

FunkMaster Flex
My uncle's (by marraige) uncle was in WWII, also in Iwo Jima I think. He was involved in a firefight, and killed a high ranking officer. The high ranking officers have swords that they carry. It turns out, that how he killed the guy was he shot the guy's sword. The bullet went through the metal sheath, shattered the sword, and exited the sheath. He took the sword as a token. My uncle is in possesion of it now. I got to hold what is left of it. It's pretty cool.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
It's good to hear people from the other side of the war...Do you know what division or anything he was in?

Not really, he died when I was really young, I only know what my dead told me that he was on a submarine...and that he at least claimed he had never shot killed somebody in the war...who knows if that's true....

debbiejo
My grandfather fled Italy at the age of 15 between WWI and WWII and came to the US. During WWI, he went back and saw how poor everyone was. He took for himself a wife back in Italy who before WWI was one of the wealthiest families in the area....They didn't like Mussolini at all.
The rest of my relatives there fled to South America....Argentina.

On my mothers side where her grandmother was a Cherokee, was a disturbing time........probably ended up on that "Trail of Tears" my mother told me..............

cking
I had two great uncles on my mom's side that fought for the germans they were both 17 and 19 at the time. the younger one died in austria while the other one is still alive but had a stroke recently but he used to be active in marathons even when he was older. I have family over there but

cking
oops, sorry about that I hit the wrong key. anyway my parents never had the money to send me to Germany. I have other relatives in other wars but I can't think of them right now.

chops
My great great grandad fought in the boer war and in world war 1, and my grandad fought in world war 2.

cking
I had other relatives that fought in the civil war and revolutionary war.

Flamboyant4Life
Originally posted by chops
My great great grandad fought in the boer war and in world war 1, and my grandad fought in world war 2.

The Boer War?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Flamboyant4Life
The Boer War?

Two wars involving England....You might know them as the South African War which was the second one, and the Transvall War (spelling?).

Cerberus
My Grandfather on my Dad's side was in Germany in WWII and my late Grandfather on my Mom's side was an airplane mechanic in the Air Force during WWII.

usaflag

Cerberus
Damn, sorry for the double post. Connection is a bit slow on my computer...

cking
same with me also.

chops
Oh, just found out my great something grandad on my mums dad (forgot) fought in the english civil war against the puritains, my mum got into this family tree stuff.

chops
lol meant side instead of dad

The Black Ghost
My grandfather was a seargent and stormed Kiska in WWII in the Aleutian Islands. In the civil war my great-something or other uncle was Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan (confederacy) who lead a 3000-man insurgency from indiana to ohio called Morgan's raid, and some long lost relative was Leiuntenant Patterson in the revolutionary war.

Captain REX
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Really? As in the Governor of Virginia?

Give me liberty or give me death. That fellow. So yes, Virginia governor. wink

It's on my mom's side, too.

cking
I had relatives that fought on both sides in the civil war but I don't know their names.

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by Flamboyant4Life
My uncle's (by marraige) uncle was in WWII, also in Iwo Jima I think. He was involved in a firefight, and killed a high ranking officer. The high ranking officers have swords that they carry. It turns out, that how he killed the guy was he shot the guy's sword. The bullet went through the metal sheath, shattered the sword, and exited the sheath. He took the sword as a token. My uncle is in possesion of it now. I got to hold what is left of it. It's pretty cool.

Thats a cool keepsake man...

Koenig
My Grandfather served on the home front as a fireman in London during the Blitz and the V1 & V2 attacks.

jaden101
i still have my great grandfather on my fathers side's ration tin from ww1...i think he served in the battle of Ypres or the Battle of Passchendaele (ypres 3)

i also traced back my ancestry to a man who fought in the battle of bannockburn and who was responsible for the invention of caltrops which were used to neutralize the English heavy cavalry and is shown in the film braveheart as being "long spears....twice as long as a man"

he was made and earl and given scone palace as his home in Scotland

so technically this is my ancestral home

http://koti.welho.com/rhurmal1/linnat2004/3-19.jpg

Nogoodnamesleft
My grandfather on my mom's side fought in WW2, but it messed him up and he turned into a drunk. Also, I hear he got metal shrapnel in his head or something. I think I heard that he drove a tank.

WulfganG
gfdg

IHateCaesar
Gramps fought in Korea

apoc001
Well, there's a story that's been passed down the generations in my family about an ancestor who was a wealthy woman in Greece, but wasn't allowed to fight, because she was a woman. So she bought her own ship and fought anyway, and apparently turned the tide of the battle. I would think that something like that would be well-documented, but the only possibility I could find was Artemisia I at the Battle of Salamis. She was Persian, but my family tree extends to Greece and Syria, so who knows. Plus, word-of-mouth stories are very unreliable.

Faceman

Spidervlad
On my mom's side, my great grandfaher was a recon unit on the Soviet Union side. He had many glorious moments and some medals for his job, but unfortunately to this day we are not accurately sure what he did and what he was doing. It was confidential secret information and missions, so it's a pity.

On my dad's side, my grandfather was an eleven year old boy who survived the siege of leningrad. He was sleeping with his brother, his mom and his dad one night, and when he woke up both his dad and his mom were dead. When trying to bring food for his mother the previous day as she was sick, he had to walk. His feet were frostbitten and he couldn't walk, and he had to tie his feet in a sack and crawl.

Darn World War 2 sad

Darth Hord
My grandfather fought in the Korean war and won some type of medal yet he wont talk about it since it is probably is one of those memories you don't want to have.

jaden101
here's a few pics of relatives of mine that were in wars...some of the original pics never had names so i couldn't find out who they were

http://http://file037a.bebo.com/9/large/2007/10/23/21/10993639a5907448183l.jpg

http://file038a.bebo.com/10/large/2007/10/23/21/10993639a5907669163l.jpg
the one on the right is my grandad with his friend dave watt

http://file038a.bebo.com/10/large/2007/10/23/22/10993639a5908324114l.jpg
this one has a wee story on the back...it has "mother's mother's relative" and then "To Annie...we have just had word from Willis(?) that peter went to france 3 weeks ago and very sorry to inform you that he has been wounded in the side and thigh and is in hospital in france. this is his photo sent for you

http://file037a.bebo.com/15/large/2007/10/24/13/10993639a5912598678l.jpg

http://file037a.bebo.com/2/large/2007/10/24/13/10993639a5912655761l.jpg

Mark Question
Originally posted by jaden101

http://file037a.bebo.com/2/large/2007/10/24/13/10993639a5912655761l.jpg

Holy shit! That pic is awesome!

lil bitchiness
My great-granddad was taken to contraindication camp in WWII.

Melcórë
My great-grandfather served in the Netherlands during WWII, although I believe it was after its capture by the Allies....

SelphieT
I don't know much about my grandparents, and other generations, but my father has been overseas twice; once for the Persian Gulf, and was sent overseas about 3 years ago from now, to Iraq.

apoc001
After some research, I found out that the story I mentioned earlier was skewed. The ancestor was actually Laskarina Bouboulina.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.