What is Vain.........

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
But became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Many church docterines have used this verse against reading fiction, campfire songs, and anything that is against non-fiction.......

What does this verse mean to you?

Is using your imagination a sin??? Or is it a type of sin.......??

What is meant by imagination, and yet what is meant about 'Vain" imaginations.

Alliance
I think imagination is more towards what you desire...ex: this passage would speak out against " I imagine myself/aspire to be a rich man with a mansion and 31 beautiful wives."

Regret
Originally posted by debbiejo
But became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Many church docterines have used this verse against reading fiction, campfire songs, and anything that is against non-fiction.......

What does this verse mean to you?

Is using your imagination a sin??? Or is it a type of sin.......??

What is meant by imagination, and yet what is meant about 'Vain" imaginations.

If you take the Greek that "became vain in their imaginations" is taken from from, it could also be translated to "became futile in their reasonings" or "became futile in their deliberations"

imaginations translated from the Greek word dialogismos meaning

1. the thinking of a man deliberating with himself; a thought, inward reasoning purpose, design
2. a deliberating, questioning about what is true; hesitation, doubting, disputing, arguing

vain translated from the Greek word mataioo

1. to make empty, vain, foolish

The error is probably in our interpretation of the meanings in the words due to their use in our language today. Using the word dialogismos to describe fiction is laughable if you look at where the word came from. I would seriously question the religious schooling of the preacher/minister/whatever using this to attack reading fiction, campfire songs, and anything that is against non-fiction.

Regret
Also, take the portion of the verse in context with the rest of the verse.

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

They were stating that the Christ was not a God. So the best translation would probably have been that they were foolishly doubting and so their foolish heart was darkened.

debbiejo
Too bad many churches teach against using you imagination......without it we wouldn't have our sciences.........oh wait, now I know why.....

Regret
Too bad many churches teach against using you imagination......without it we wouldn't have our sciences.........oh wait, now I know why.....

wink I stand by the belief that if church and science conflict on fact that there is a problem with the church. Just have to be clear about the distinction between inference and fact. Anyone who denies scientific fact is a fool.

Alliance
Originally posted by Regret
wink I stand by the belief that if church and science conflict on fact that there is a problem with the church. Just have to be clear about the distinction between inference and fact. Anyone who denies scientific fact is a fool.

Historically that has been correct. yes

debbiejo
Many Christians, sad to say, won't study both sides.......ie evolution (study it) and Creationism (study it), then come to your own conclusions...

Funny too, cause most are taught not to look outside the box, but how can a person argue about something if they do not know both sides..OR only get their perspective from a certain resource...If you really want to know a certain position, you must go to the REAL source......NOT the slanted one.....People should be taught HOW to think and not WHAT to think......That's the problem here.

Mindship
"You're so vain...
You probably think this thread is about you..."

Alliance
People should be taught HOW to think and not WHAT to think.

The idea behind a liberal arts education. yes and its excellent point by the way.

debbiejo
Thanks..........one to ya.......

cheers

Alliance
CHEERS!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.