June 6, 1944 - D-Day

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
Today is the 62nd anniversary of the Allied assault on the beaches of Normandy, codenamed Operation Overlord, in an effort to penetrate the Atlantic Wall and begin the invasion of Europe.

D-Day was a turning point in the war, at the cost of great life.

The Allied forces lost 53,700 lives and had 155,000 wounded men, while Germany had 200,000 dead and wounded, as well as another 200,000 men captured.

A moment of silence for the fallen.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/Rexus1214/57be1519.jpg

Captain REX
As for the discussion...what do you think made Operation Overlord such a success? There's a few rather obvious reasons, but then there's always personal opinion. So, let's have it!

Fire
a lot of luck!

WrathfulDwarf
More like a lot of strategy....is the pic from Omaha beach?

Darth Macabre
A lot of stupidity on the Germans part.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Fire
a lot of luck!

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
More like a lot of strategy

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
A lot of stupidity on the Germans part.

I would have to say a generous portion of all three plus the incredible fortitude of the British, Canadian and American soldiers.

If anyone is interested in the Canadians' efforts at Juno beach (I doubt it's taught outside of Canada) just check out this site.

They landed on the second most defended and difficult beach (Omaha being the first). The 1st Hussars ( of London, Ont.) were the only allied regiment to complete all of their objectives and by the end of the day the 3rd Canadian Division had penetrated farther into France than any other Allied force.

Fire
WD I won't ignore the fact that overlord was a good piece of strategy but there was also quite a lot of luck (from the germans making bad decisions) involved in the victory, certainly on Dday itself

WrathfulDwarf
I'm not such a believer in luck when it comes to military strategy...however, if by luck you mean motivation and determination...then yeah, I agree with that...

Fire
No I mean that if the germans had had their armor on the beach then it would have been a different story. Atleas that's my take on it. other things like the lack of airsupport and lack of backup troops was good planning from the allies.

The lack of armor was just german stupidity and luck for allied command

KharmaDog
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I'm not such a believer in luck when it comes to military strategy...however, if by luck you mean motivation and determination...then yeah, I agree with that...

Although "luck" is a sketchy term to use. Weather, wind and other fudge factors can come into play that can drastically affect military strategies.

WrathfulDwarf
No I mean that if the germans had had their armor on the beach then it would have been a different story. Atleas that's my take on it. other things like the lack of airsupport and lack of backup troops was good planning from the allies.

But in way I think they got a pretty good "heads up! we're coming at you" warning from the allies. Overload included a lot of early air attacks prior to the amphibian attack. Maybe there was lack of communication or carelessness on the part of the germans. I might read more about it. Battles are not my strong on WWII history.

Koenig

The Germans had the armour but it was under Hitler's control and the big mistake here was No one dare wake Hitler up from his sleep. And when the Germans finally acted it was far too late in the day.

Fire
I know, but for the soldiers defending the atlantic wall, it didn't matter for which reason the armor wasn't there.

mattador
*Silence for the fallen heroes* cry

Ushgarak
Preparation. Repeat that word as many times as you can, and that is how it was done. it';s also why the Germas could never have done the reverse; they didn't have the materials to prepare as the Allies did.

Fire
True, good thing The US joined in

WrathfulDwarf
Preparation is good a point. thumb up

Deano
Official history has been tampered with in the most extraordinary way, so that
we continue to see the world in the childlike simplicity of good and evil, heroes and villains. It is rarely like that.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Deano
Official history has been tampered with in the most extraordinary way, so that
we continue to see the world in the childlike simplicity of good and evil, heroes and villains. It is rarely like that.

Go back to your conspiracy thread and stop contaminating good discussions.

systemshock2
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Preparation. Repeat that word as many times as you can, and that is how it was done. it';s also why the Germas could never have done the reverse; they didn't have the materials to prepare as the Allies did.

Amen to that. I read that the US was so savvy when it came for preparation for D-Day, that weeks before the assault they had spies secretly drop by the beach in the dead of night to collect buried sand. Why would the US do this? Because the sand was brought back for scientists to analyze and determine just how much weight the beach could support when it came to tanks, jeeps, and so on. Now that is preparation.

Tangible God
I didn't know you could bury sand in the sand in the first place.

systemshock2
Originally posted by Tangible God
I didn't know you could bury sand in the sand in the first place.

By buried I was inferring to sand that was about 15 to 20 ft deep. If I had just written "sand" it would've made it seem like the spies only collected the topmost sand. stick out tongue

Captain REX
So deeper sand. stick out tongue

But yes, that is a very good point. The Allies prepared for D-Day for months and did things down to the last detail.

Koenig
The Allies learnt a big lesson from the failed Dieppe raid of 1942, the landings in North Africa, Sicily and Italy or so gave the Allies some good pointers. But let us not forget the deception operations went along way to help the D-Day landings.

Deano
Originally posted by KharmaDog

kill yourself smile

Captain REX
Play nice, children. no expression

BlaxicanTroller
Originally posted by KharmaDog

Hes right though.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Deano
kill yourself smile

Intelligent retort.(that was sarcasm) I thought that you didn't insult people never mind wish they were dead.

Originally posted by BlaxicanTroller
Hes right though.

No he's not. A simpleton might look at the conflict of world war 2 and the events and participants with childlike simplicity, but anyone with half a clue could research the many aspects of the conflict with an intelligence and sobriety of thought that the wealth of information, and the wealth of sources provide us on the conflict.

wizzy 123
i like to learn bout this stuf and i think it waz planning of the allies and the stupidity of the germans A.K.A."nazis"

wizzy 123
when the allies landed the first out of the boat were killed (dua!)this battle lasted 10 hrs and around 100,000 americans were killed in this 10 hr period.the german machineguns took out most of the allies who were killed.but the allies killed around 350,000 nazis and took 250,000 prisioners.the aftermath of this battle of omaha their was a total of 750,000 people died.sad isnt it?book

Darth Kreiger
We won because of the Operation where we made fakes tanks/planes on a differant area where we would attack, and because Hitler was a moron, taking control of the Military himself

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.