Significant Numbers in the Bible

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
Ok, I read some of the 6-6-06 thread. I know of some numerical references in Christian religion, but I'm feeling lazy. I am creating this thread to find numerical reference in in the Bible. (e.g. 666, 3 - trinity, 12 - apostles, etc.) If you have a numeral or mathematical formula derived entirely from the Bible I am interested in what it is, and the references that led you to believe that this numeral or mathematical formula was significant in some way. Preferable numbers should not be quotes from Numbers or Deuteronomy or other books stating that so many led so many, unless there is a deeper pattern you are describing.

I am not interested in comments about your belief in or disbelief of the Bible, Christianity or any other thing. I am interested only in the numbers and their references along with your reasons as stated above and would prefer to not wade through posts that are irrelevant to what I am looking for.

Feel free to cite references for 666 and the others, but try not to duplicate someone else's post.

Jury
The birth of Jesus and the number 111.

JESUS in Greek is 888.

Matthew 1:16 - And Jacob begat Joseph the Husband of Mary,
of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

The whole passage in Greek has numerical value 7326, where 7326 = 111 x 66.

Matthew 1:18

THE BIRTH OF JESUS CHRIST THUS WAS
tou Ihsouv Xristou genesiv outwv hn = 5439

5439 = 111 x 49

SHE WAS FOUND IN WOMB BY
eureje en gastri ek = 1221

1221 = 111 x 11

Matthew 1:20

HER BEGOTTEN OF THE SPIRIT, IS HOLY
auth gennhjen ek pneumatov estin agiou = 3108

3108 = 111 x 28

HER BEGOTTEN
auth gennhjen = 888

111 x 8

etc.. etc... etc... The Bible has a lot of numerical data.

Storm

A highly symbolic number in the Hebrew Bible, being, for example, the day on which God rested in Genesis.
The number of churches of Asia the Book of Revelation is addressed to.
The number of nations God told the Hebrews they would displace when they came to Israel. (Deut. 7:1)"When the LORD thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and shall cast out many nations before thee, the Hittite, and the Girgashite, and the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite, seven nations greater and mightier than thou".
The number of ayat in surat al-Fatiha.
The number of heavens in Islamic tradition.
The number of Earths in Islamic tradition.
The numbers seven, seventy, seventy thousand, etc. are also used in Islamic traditions to denote an infinite or high number. In Arabic seventy, seventy thousand, etc. is used to mean infinite. This is because 1 is the smallest, 2 is just after 1, 5 and 10 are exact, 4 and 6 are just before and after 5, 9 is just before 10. This leaves 3, 7, and 8. 8 is closer to the end although it is larger. 8 is also an even number so divisible by 2. Between 3 and 7, 3 is smaller so 7 is chosen to represent infinite.
The number of the Deadly Sins: lust, avarice, envy, pride, sloth, gluttony and wrath.
The seven terraces of Mount Purgatory (one per deadly sin).
The number of sacraments in the Roman Catholic faith.
The number of palms in an Egyptian Sacred Cubit.
The number of heads of the beast of the book of Revelation, and of some other monsters, like the hydra.
The minor symbol number of yang from the Taoist yin-yang.
The number of times Cain will be avenged upon for the murder of his brother Abel.
The number of ranks in Mithraism.
The number of gateways traversed by Inanna during her descent into the underworld.
The number seven is of particular significance within the Cherokee cosmology.
Reference: Wikipedia

Wonderer
7 - The number of days in a week.

debbiejo
Numerology and such is as old as hell..........Can anyone say "Pagan?"

Regret
Thanks for the posts. If someone has more, keep them coming smile

Originally posted by debbiejo
Numerology and such is as old as hell..........Can anyone say "Pagan?"

As far as the idea that numerology is "Pagan". I think it has been said that mathematics is the universal language. It would follow that any form of language contains mathematical constructs inside it. Even when we attempt to be creative with language (e.g. poetry and music) we end up following a mathematical pattern. Most fiction can be broken into at least 3 distinct portions. I would suspect that if you could quantitatively study a work of fiction that the events leading up to the climax would quantitatively equal the quantitative value of the climax (and we would probably find that the better a piece was the closer to a mathematical formula it would fit.) Man is a mathematical beast, living within a mathematical universe, is it surprising that mathematical and numerological patterns would emerge in any given entity, living or nonliving? "Pagans" may have been an early group to study it in a theological context, but their study doesn't imply causation in its existence elsewhere. Without their numerology, maybe we would not have looked for it in other context without their study, but it does not imply that it exists because of them. Correlation does not mean causation.

debbiejo
Yes numbers are kind of cool

http://goldennumber.net/

http://goldennumber.net/plants.htm

http://goldennumber.net/geometry.htm

Kritish
Threads like these give me a head ache.

Alliance
The golden ratio is phenomenal. Too bad its sicence and not religion.

debbiejo
Told ya there was some sort of intelligence... wink

Alliance
Intelligence? Please.

Its like saying water always crystalizes the same way becuase someone tells it to.

Its a mathematical ratio most likely inherent in the porperties of matter. Its also an arbitraty number that we find applications for. Don't read too much into it.

debbiejo
Define Intelligence then.........I'm not talking about a big man in the sky........

Alliance
Intelligence implies consciousness.

debbiejo
consciousness on some level we don't understand........

Wonderer
An intelligent being is one that thinks that it thinks. How 'bout that?

Alliance
consciousness, intelligent consciousness implies the ability to make arbitrary decisions based on personal preference. Nothing about String Theory presents that idea.

debbiejo
Not necessarily.....an intelligence can be a creative force that is always creating.........No judgement on what it creates either.

Alliance
Then its not intelligent, just productive. Ex: Sol constantly produces stuff, it does not exhibit consciousness or intelligence.

debbiejo
Who says????.......Now who needs to look outside the box? wink

Alliance
Only people inside the box.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Alliance
Only people inside the box.

^^ wink roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
Like us. laughing

debbiejo
OHHHHHh the special people...........

Look! Rainbow bus is coming!!!!!

Run, run.........mac and cheese night

Alliance
messed...hopped up on too much "intelligence"?

debbiejo
Nothing wrong with intelligence........but if you dont like it.......we'll exclude you........ wink

Alliance
laughing Intelligence is a relgion now?

debbiejo
Nooooooo......It's just a property...........IMO

Alliance
Aquired then? or innate.

Or like evrything else and both.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.