Which one of these causes would you be most likely to die for?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Normal Guy
1. Ending world hunger

2. Same sex marriage.

3. Proving the existence of the Christian God.

4. Disproving the existence of Christian God.

5. Proving Evolutionary theory.

6. Bringing about world peace.

7. Finding a cure for all terminal diseases.(aids, cancer, etc)

8. Animal Rights.

9. Your own self interests.

And explain why you would choose the one cause over the others.

Templares
#9. My self-interests however includes the other eight and more.

Black Rob
7 if they find a cure for dying

crazylozer

Robtard

If we had world peace the other 8 points would probably be accomplished in time. Damn, I sound like a Miss Universe contestant. 'World Peace'

WrathfulDwarf
None.

Dying for any cause (no matter how noble it maybe be) is the actions of an extremist...I refuse to become an extremist.

debbiejo
I agree

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
None.

Dying for any cause (no matter how noble it maybe be) is the actions of an extremist...I refuse to become an extremist. Originally posted by debbiejo
I agree

I guess I'd say that too....if I was a coward.

NineCoronas
World Peace.

debbiejo
I'm not a coward!! People need to take responsibility for themselves more....

6 and 7 are good picks ......I don't know if I'd die for it......I don't have a martyr complex...

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Bardock42

You're a brave man....

Bardock42
You're a brave man....

Thank you.

debbiejo
In the other thread you were crying.........cry <-----

WrathfulDwarf
Thank you.

You're not welcome.

Bardock42
You're not welcome.

Pff...whatever...I'm a brave man happy

debbiejo
Pff...whatever...I'm a brave man happy Are you sure??
crybaby <----

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Are you sure??
crybaby <----

Yes

WrathfulDwarf
...I'm a brave man happy

Among other things...

Bardock42
Among other things...

Like?

Mindship
Global tranquility.

Normal Guy
Interesting responses you all have given. For myself, I'd choose number 3. Proving a loving God's existence would logically take care of any other problem.

FunkMaster Flex
I would choose #3. Why is the Theory of Evolution up there? It was pretty much proven by the Hardy-Weinberg Principle. Nobody would die for that.

MR.Grum
id have to go with that

Capt_Fantastic
I'd most likely die on the internet for you to SHUT the HELL up!. Why has no one banned this sock loving tool?

Or, we can go back to you burying your head for 6 thousand years.

I think that would better serve baby Jesus, don't you?

Robtard
Originally posted by Normal Guy
Interesting responses you all have given. For myself, I'd choose number 3. Proving a loving God's existence would logically take care of any other problem.

We'd have religious nut jobs (like we do now) killing each other trying to impose their view on how this loving God should properly be worshipped. Sad, I know...

Robtard
None.

Dying for any cause (no matter how noble it maybe be) is the actions of an extremist...I refuse to become an extremist.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth_Erebus
Originally posted by Normal Guy ]1. Ending world hunger

When you have more people than a planet can support there will always be hunger

2. Same sex marriage.

I don't believe in same sex marriage. But then I don't believe that anymarriage should be recognized by society

What about the Hindu gods, or the pagan gods? I do think Brooke Burke is a goddess. Seriously, man created god(s).

Despite the overwhelming evidence that much of the bible is false over 2 billion people believe it is true meaning no matter what proof is presented some people won't accept it.

See above, though in reverse

Never happen, it's not in our nature

Since micro organisms evolve much faster than macro organisms there will always be terminal diseases. Even if it were possible, which it isn't, to cure most terminal diseases it'll never happen. It's too profitable to "treat" such diseases until the patient dies.

8. Animal Rights.

The most wotrthy cause on this list, but people don't care in the end

The one 90% of people will choose in the end

Since my death would change none of the above, i choose to live as long as I can.

Roulette

Mišt
1. Ending world hunger

Theres more alternatives to fixing this than dying.

2. Same sex marriage.

Im not dying for a cause that I dont care about/doesnt involve me.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Not really, all it takes is one idiot to start a fight and your death is meaningless.

This one, only if the circumstance was that my death somehow cured the world instantly.

8. Animal Rights.

Err..no.

Dont have any to die over, unless it was to keep someone else aliveerm

Not really, what about the millions of others who dont believe in that particular god and follow other religions? Im sure they'll be a bit pissed...plus, whose to say the christian god is the one to be proven to exist?

botankus
Originally posted by Black Rob
7 if they find a cure for dying
laughing out loud

Wonderer
Originally posted by Mindship
Global tranquility.

I agree. I have an obsession with noise pollution and with other people disturbing the peace and not considering whether other people want to listen to their noise or not.

The wise seek tranquility and calm.

I'm not sure if it's worth dying for though. But poeple think with their hearts and not their minds. I think when it comes to my wife or daughter I will die for them.

Blue_Hefner
All except #2,3,4

Originally posted by Mišt

8. Animal Rights.

Err..no.

You do realize humans are animals too right?

Blue_Hefner
double post

Eis
None.

It seems selfish to me someone wouldn't be willing to die for world hunger.

FunkMaster Flex
Not really......... The hunger is natural, do to the overpopulation of humans. If we have an unlimited food supply, then we will reproduce in overdrive, which **** up the whole ecosystem, ultimately ****ing us over in the end.

PVS
dont make me choose between ending world hunger and same sex marriages!!! fear

Mišt
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
You do realize humans are animals too right?

roll eyes (sarcastic) We're talking animals other than humans, or else it would have said Human Rights.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Eis
It seems selfish to me someone wouldn't be willing to die for world hunger.

Well you can always sacrifice yourself if you cared so much...

Eis
Well you can always sacrifice yourself if you cared so much...
How could me sacrificing myself help overcome world hunger?

botankus
It depends on how many people your body will feed.

*edit: Come on, Eis, you walked right into that one. No matter how corny the response, you walked right into it. laughing out loud

WrathfulDwarf
You said it seems selfish for someone wouldn't be willing to die for world hunger....why don't you die for it...that way we all see you in greater way....and I wouldn't think you're selfish either.

Eis
You said it seems selfish for someone wouldn't be willing to die for world hunger....why don't you die for it...that way we all see you in greater way....and I wouldn't think you're selfish either.
Yeah, but I can't die for it. Me dying won't suddenly make every kid not feel hungry for ever.

I don't understand what you mean.

botankus
Pretend the land of endless fruit was guarded by a fierce dragon, and you fall head-first out of a helicopter with a 60-foot sword pointing downwards. You slice the dragon's throat in half and die from the fall. But you have released access to the land of endless fruit for all and have eliminated world hunger.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Eis
Yeah, but I can't die for it. Me dying won't suddenly make every kid not feel hungry for ever.

I don't understand what you mean.

I think we misunderstood each other...see, I thought you meant that it was okay for somebody else to die for the cause of world hunger...as long as that somebody was not you. To which I tried to reply why don't you die for the cause if you're so much concern....we got tangled....

Eis
I think we misunderstood each other...see, I thought you meant that it was okay for somebody else to die for the cause of world hunger...as long as that somebody was not you. To which I tried to reply why don't you die for the cause if you're so much concern....we got tangled....
What the ****? I'm saying I would die for world hunger, meaning that no one would ever be hungry again. You are telling me to do it, exactly how is what I'm asking.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Eis
What the ****? I'm saying I would die for world hunger, meaning that no one would ever be hungry again. You are telling me to do it, exactly how is what I'm asking.

Well if you do it is fine by me...just don't call me selfish for not doing it. Of course if you believe in dying for world hunger I have no objection and when I say "do it"...I don't mean for you to rush and actually do it. Don't take it to the extreme....(strange I mention extremist earlier..oh well)

Eis
Well if you do it is fine by me...just don't call me selfish for not doing it. Of course if you believe in dying for world hunger I have no objection and when I say "do it"...I don't mean for you to rush and actually do it. Don't take it to the extreme....(strange I mention extremist earlier..oh well)
I'm saying I think it would be selfish for someone not to die for world hunger. It's my opinion.
When you say "do it" I did not realize what you meant, is like someone saying "I wish I could fly" and another person responding "Do it". Made no sense.

Imaginary
Ending world hunger, world peace and curing terminal illness.

Imperial_Samura
I like living, and while not scared of death, am in no hurry to shuffle of the mortal coil. That said I accept that there would be things worth my life, or that are bigger then a single life (theoretically.)

First I am the kind of person who would chuck myself in front of a bus to push someone out of the way. But then that would be more instinctual, so not really a choice.

Second, for a cause. While I don't think martyrdom is a sensible thing in most cases, one would understand that some causes are dangerous, and one might die in the process, or that one might have to sacrifice oneself for the greater good.

Third, to save someone...

Fourth, if something occurred, and there was no way to change it, and I couldn't consciously live with such a thing - or historically speaking a glorious death, standing atop the battlements waving the banner to the last. Doesn't actually change anything, but it runs to the whole - "Better to die on ones feet, then live on ones knees." I'd know I had not sacrificed my integrity or betrayed myself.

That said...

1. Ending world hunger - Not sure how it would work, but if it did, then it would be a worthy sacrifice, a worthy cause.

2. Same sex marriage - I believe same sex marriage should most certainly be allowed, and I would campaign for it - but I wouldn't kill myself. Of course I would accept some crazy conservative bigot might come and kill me for my views

3. Proving the existence of the Christian God. - No, I see no reason to die myself to save God if he can't save himself.

4. Disproving the existence of Christian God. - Plenty of evidence for this already, my death isn't needed.

5. Proving Evolutionary theory - Same as above.

6. Bringing about world peace - If the peace was to be permanent and good, then I believe so.

7. Finding a cure for all terminal diseases.(aids, cancer, etc) - Yes, to end so much suffering, I would be prepared I believe.

8. Animal Rights - How ironic. But no, while I dislike animal cruelty and needless killing and threatening of endangered species, dying for this isn't up there.

9. Your own self interests - I plan to live forever or die trying? Really don't see how my interests would be served, unless it was to save someone else, or to topple some evil government (V for Vendetta style.) But for most part no.

Uneeklyconfused
Originally posted by botankus
It depends on how many people your body will feed.

*edit: Come on, Eis, you walked right into that one. No matter how corny the response, you walked right into it. laughing out loud
laughing....

''i promise(d) i would never die''

debbiejo
My body wouldn't feed many people...................I suppose this is a good thing.............Now KarmaDog, that's Thank giving dinner.......... laughing out loud

allofyousuckkk
people who would die to cure diseases and eventually death are retards.................we dont have resources for all the people who would be alive.

but, i would die if I was guaranteed unlimited knowledge after death....

overlord
I would die for making sure women and men finally completely fill each other up mentally thus making no need for people of the same sex to be interested in each other.
Quite different than option 2 isn't it?

Or I would just dedicate my life trying to make hungry african kids eat very fat american kids. Hey, this includes the cannibal thread doesn't it!
Of course British people are quite tubby too but at least they created the teletubbies.
Woah!! I think it's time for me to shut up again!

DarkC
I'd die for someone I loved to save their own life. It's the ultimate sacrifice though, and if they dishonor that sacrifice I'll go and have a word or ten with them.

TheSpinner

.....Or Intelligent enough to know that you may serve the cause better alive than dead.

Don't confuse stupidity with bravery!

FunkMaster Flex
Originally posted by Eis
What the ****? I'm saying I would die for world hunger, meaning that no one would ever be hungry again. You are telling me to do it, exactly how is what I'm asking. ****in up the ecosystem.

ILoveMyDaniel
1. Ending world hunger

2. Same sex marriage.

8. Animal Rights.

#3!!!

Inspectah Deck
None.

Or a martyr.

allofyousuckkk
it's people like you that totally sicken me

Deano
freedom

ShadowMan223
God does not need to be proven you ether belive or don't. Although I'd rather die the most horrable death then renounce my Faith or Belief in him.

Tangible God
I would only die AFTER I knew my own interests had been satisfied.

lil bitchiness
None.

So Martin Luther King Jr was an extremist, so was Gandhi?
Black people who died fighting racism were extremists?

I think that is a very simplistic view. If people didnt die for any causes we wouldnt have freedom of speech, democracy or the rights we do today.

PVS
yeah, but neither expected to be shot.
i mean, they both knew that they were putting themselves
at great risk, but they didnt knowingly go to their deaths.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
yeah, but neither expected to be shot.
i mean, they both knew that they were putting themselves
at great risk, but they didnt knowingly go to their deaths.

If they knew they were exposing themselves to a great risk, a risk which could mean death, and they proceeded in doing what they did, then they were ready to die for it.

To think that neither of them were ready to die for what they were preaching is foolish.

PVS
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
If they knew they were exposing themselves to a great risk, a risk which could mean death, and they proceeded in doing what they did, then they were ready to die for it.

people skydive.
knowing very well there is a significant chance they can splatter on
the ground, they still jump...does this mean they are ready to die for it?
i know its an off color analogy, but the point is that there is a big difference
between risking death and willingly going to that death.

lil bitchiness
How can you compare skydiving with what Martin Luther King Jr and Gandhi were doing?!

I think this is such a stupid thing to even put forward as an example.

Neither of them did what they did FOR FUN, they did it for a cause!

To think that neither of them were ready to die for what they were preaching is foolish.

PVS
How can you compare skydiving with what Martin Luther King Jr and Gandhi were doing?!

I think this is such a stupid thing to even put forward as an example.

Neither of them did what they did FOR FUN, they did it for a cause!

dont be deliberate. as i said, there is a difference between risking death and going willingly to that death. mlk and ghandi put their lives at great risk, but they did not sacrifice their own lives. they were assassinated. it was not their choice to die. big difference.

BackFire
If I had to choose, curing all diseases.

PVS
even sexoholism?

BackFire
That's not a disease, that's a blessing.

WrathfulDwarf
So Martin Luther King Jr was an extremist, so was Gandhi?
Black people who died fighting racism were extremists?

I think that is a very simplistic view. If people didnt die for any causes we wouldnt have freedom of speech, democracy or the rights we do today.

I wouldn't confuse apples and oranges lil. MLK and Gandhi were not extremists. They didn't incite people to respond in a violent ways. Rather they promoted a peaceful rejection to violence inflicted to their people. An extremist would distort and confuse people to their will by any means necessary... meaning that they will impose their will on those who would disagree. Remenber that thread I made about Religion and extremeism last year? I'll search it and post the link.

ThePittman
My family and friends, if I died to save the world they would just screw it up a few years down the line. Did that sound bitter?helpsmilie

JacopeX
1. Ending world hunger

2. Same sex marriage.

8. Animal Rights.

Boris
None of them.

lil bitchiness
I wouldn't confuse apples and oranges lil. MLK and Gandhi were not extremists. They didn't incite people to respond in a violent ways. Rather they promoted a peaceful rejection to violence inflicted to their people. An extremist would distort and confuse people to their will by any means necessary... meaning that they will impose their will on those who would disagree. Remenber that thread I made about Religion and extremeism last year? I'll search it and post the link.

I think we misunderstood each other.

I was refering to dying for a cause, rather than promoting a voilent way of doing something, in which one would die.

And the perfect examples, of these are King and Guevara.

They both died for what they believed in, but in complitely different ways...imo.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
dont be deliberate. as i said, there is a difference between risking death and going willingly to that death. mlk and ghandi put their lives at great risk, but they did not sacrifice their own lives. they were assassinated. it was not their choice to die. big difference.

Precisely. Dying as a result of your cause and dying for your cause are two totally different things.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Precisely. Dying as a result of your cause and dying for your cause are two totally different things.

-AC

You are dead afterwards anyways.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.