Wonder Woman #1: The All-New, All-Different Wonder Woman!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Blah....Blah...Blah...

Donna Troy is the new Wonder Woman. She arrives to the abandoned Themsycrian embassy to save a hostage from "anti-Amazon" terrorists demanding to see Diana who's been missing for over a year. The stakes are raised however when the hostage turns out to be Steve Trevor, Deputy Secretary of Defense. Donna Troy confidently strides into the building...only to have her ass kicked by the now-human Cheetah and her pet magically-enhanced cheetahs. Giganta (in a MUUUUCH better costume) is in cahoots with Cheetah and persuades Cheetah to keep Troia alive until Diana comes since she is of value to her. Donna Troy manages to escape with Steve Trevor but is again captured by Giganta. Doctor Psycho (What's with the 'Morpheus' hairdo....?) arrives on the scene and psychically mindf***s Donna Troy. Steve Trevor, who's not really Steve Trevor at all but rather a government agent called Nemesis wearing a holographic disguise, joins up with the metahuman control team to meet his new partner: Diana Prince.

Good issue all around. When I read that Donna was the new Wonder Woman, I nearly had a stroke but the last page convinced me otherwise. Art was good. Great character redesigns (except for Dr. Psycho...) and a good beginning.

Anyone else have thoughts?

PS. There was obviously ALOT of retconning involved with Wonder Woman's history....

Validus
My thoughts? Donna is pretty weak and that was a rather embarrassing ass kicking. Why did she let Cheetah just waltz up to her, steal the lasso and start choking her with it? blink

Dodson's artwork is perfect. I hope he stays after Heinberg leaves.

ST0RM SHAD0W
Was the cover shiny like Green Lanterns?

Draco69
Donna's obviously allergic to cats. The cat dander paralyzed her to the ground. Three cats were obviously too much for her.

Hell, the cat even managed to draw blood...

Thank goodness for Donna, Minerva was human again. If she was still in her Zoom-upgrade Cheetah form, Donna would've been raped....

The entire issue was to show that Donna is not nor ever will be Wonder Woman like every other jackass on the Internet thought. She's never going to be Wonder Woman. This issue embarrasses her to show that she's simply not up to par.

I love Dodson's art too. Too bad he'll leave after five issues like everyother sorry-ass artist on Wonder Woman for a "better" project....

By the way, who the hell is "Nemesis." He's certainly not of WW lore. I would know...

ScarletSpider
Nemesis is a spy guy, master of disguise. He's just human, unless they've mucked with him. I think he was part of the Suicide Squad for a bit, I don't remember. I remember he appeared in JLI; he's kind of buds with Batman.

ST0RM SHAD0W
Originally posted by Draco69
Thank goodness for Donna, Minerva was human again. If she was still in her Zoom-upgrade Cheetah form, Donna would've been raped....

When did they take that away?

Thats weak.

Draco69
Ahhh. Thank you very much. I was kinda confused as to who he was. He SHOULD be human since he's obviously going to be the 21st century Steve Trevor for Diana.

Validus
It does seem like the story goes out of its way to show Donna as inept. The already mentioning asskicking plus every single person in the story begging to know where the REAL WW is. Even the solicit for #3 suggests Diana keeps one-upping her.

Draco69
Originally posted by ST0RM SHAD0W
When did they take that away?

Thats weak.

By the looks of the cover of issue 3, she's gonna revet back to her furry form. She may in fact be able to shift back and forth at will. A nice parallel for Diana since she's disguising herself (quite poorly...again with the "Nobody can recognize me if I wear glasses!" tidbit DC?) as Agent Diana Prince.

Seriously, three pet cheetahs isn't going to cut it when you're going up against a girl who can go toe to toe with Superman and Captain Marvel....

Validus
By the looks of the cover of issue 3, she's gonna revet back to her furry form. She may in fact be able to shift back and forth at will. A nice parallel for Diana since she's disguising herself (quite poorly...again with the "Nobody can recognize me if I wear glasses!" tidbit DC?) as Agent Diana Prince.
Don't forget she has her hair up. eek!

Draco69
And her NAME too! Everyone knows the household name "Diana" as Wonder Woman's true name.

BUT, since she added PRINCE to the end of her name, nobody could possibly suspect the truth!

Diana Prince as in Princess Diana. Hah! Boy, are those suckers at DC fooled! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Validus
Still not as bad as Nightwing. A guy who's basically famous hiding in what amounts to a pair of sunglasses.

Grimm22
Wait no expression

Is Diana going to be the WW in JLA or what?!?! confused

jumpmann
issue 0 seems to point to yes

Validus
Originally posted by Grimm22
Wait no expression

Is Diana going to be the WW in JLA or what?!?! confused
Diana from the preview. Donna doesn't even wear the new WW costume.

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8215/jla13rc.th.jpg

Lucid Lui
I flipped through it in the store, looks like a good issue. The Dodson team is always great, and their stuff looked better than ever.

Looking forward to reading it.

HellMaster93
Coool... will Donna STAY as Wonder Woman though...?

Draco69
No. Maybe for like three issues. Diana's going to take the reins again just in time to join the new JLA.

HellMaster93
Will there HONESTLY be ANY changes to the JLA or will it be as boring as ever? fter readiung 2 or 3 JLA miniseries, it feele like you've read 'em all...

Draco69
*shrugs* Just about anyone's a candidate for the JLA. The Big Three are on the team. Most likely Flash and Green Lantern too. MM is a must.

Everyone else is up for grabs.

Validus
MM won't be on the team. For one Meltzer doesn't like him and two, they're trying to establish him as a solo character.

I doubt Bart Allen will join right away too.

Draco69
Metzer doesn't like MM?!?!?! Curse him to hell! Oh well...

I like MM's new look though.

I'm still confused as to who the Flash is going to be. Especially with the younger clone of Jay Garrick suddenly appearing in Outsiders...

HellMaster93
So, do we know if anyone new (other than Bats, Supes, GL, WW... the usuals) are in?

Draco69
I'm betting on Elongated Man. He's an obvious new member in my opinion.

Validus
A zooming in on the cover of Flash #3 reveals a gold eye color (Bart Allen). geek

Validus
Originally posted by HellMaster93
So, do we know if anyone new (other than Bats, Supes, GL, WW... the usuals) are in?
Meltzer is a fanboy of the satellite era so expect the team to resemble that one. Firestorm, Hawkman, Zatanna, Red Tornado, Green Arrow, and Elongated Man are pretty good bets. Flash will join eventually. Maybe Captain Marvel will join in place of Martian Manhunter as another powerhouse. Hal Jordan is a shoe-in as the Green Lantern.

Draco69
I would have preferred that Grant Morrison take over the JLA again and actually make it GOOD again. Instead he chose Batman...

The only writer that came close to Morrison's JLA in pure gold was Joe Kelly. And even he was several lightyears behind Grant.

HellMaster93
The JLA hopefuls sound decent then... but I still prefer the JSA... after all, they have Alan scott, Jay Garrick and (at the best times) Captain Marvel, Black Adam and Dr Fate (though maybe 4 magic users is overkill!)

Validus
The JLA hopefuls sound decent then... but I still prefer the JSA... after all, they have Alan scott, Jay Garrick and (at the best times) Captain Marvel, Black Adam and Dr Fate (though maybe 4 magic users is overkill!)
Then you won't like the new JSA lineup. sad

I would have preferred that Grant Morrison take over the JLA again and actually make it GOOD again. Instead he chose Batman...

The only writer that came close to Morrison's JLA in pure gold was Joe Kelly. And even he was several lightyears behind Grant.
The Mark Waid/Bryan Hitch JLA had potential but it seems like Heaven's Ladder burned them out before they got started. I remember a lot of fill-ins for that team.

Draco69
Bryan Hitch is wonderful artist...but he's always late. I couldn't stand having JLA come out every other year like the Ultimates.

Hell, the Ultimates #12 still isn't out...

willRules
Bryan Hitch is wonderful artist...but he's always late. I couldn't stand having JLA come out every other year like the Ultimates.

Hell, the Ultimates #12 still isn't out...

Or ultimates 11 sad

HellMaster93
Originally posted by Validus
Then you won't like the new JSA lineup. sad

The Mark Waid/Bryan Hitch JLA had potential but it seems like Heaven's Ladder burned them out before they got started. I remember a lot of fill-ins for that team. Oh, God save us... who's in it? Or should I ask, who's NOT iun it?

Validus
The longer Ultimates 2 gets delayed the longer until Loeb takes over the title. big grin

Oh, God save us... who's in it? Or should I ask, who's NOT iun it?
Alan Scott
Jay Garrick
Power Girl
Starman
Hourman
Damage
Wildcat
Jesse Chambers
Obsidian

Probably more but thats the team based on Geoff's recent comments.

Draco69
That doesn't seem at bad. It's a good lineup.

Validus
Add whoever the new Dr. Fate is and a Marvel family member and it'd be perfect.

grey fox
Is it just me or is the whole 'league tower destroyed , new Justice league' thing seeming VEEEEEEEERY reminiscent of New Avengers : Breakout.

Hell , a large chunk of IC , seemed to be ripping off marvel. From the OMAC's to this 'New league' .

Superboy Prime though seemed pretty original...

Draco69
I hardly see it. (The Identity Crisis came BEFORE New Avengers anyway)

I don't see any comparision unless you specify.

Validus
I hardly see it. (The Identity Crisis came BEFORE New Avengers anyway)

I don't see any comparision unless you specify.
I concur. Super-Hero HQ's being destroyed isn't exactly an innovative idea.

Draco69
Hell, the X-Mansion gets blown up every other day. Warren must be up to his neck in overpaid bills...

HellMaster93
LOL... the JSA line-ups decent... 4 great characters: Jay, Alan, Obsidian and Wildcat... but since nwhen was Obsidian a good guy?

Draco69
He had schizophrenia that made him crazy. He was cured of it although he still has fits. Oh and he was influenced by some crazy demon-god or something and took advantage of him in his irrational state

HellMaster93
That sucks...

DarkCrawler
What is with this Teen Titan writing? First Nightwing's new series was raped and mutilated every way possible, now Donna...

Validus
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
What is with this Teen Titan writing? First Nightwing's new series was raped and mutilated every way possible, now Donna...
You should check out the latest Outsiders. Nightwing and Superman had a little confrontation. big grin

Draco69
Superman: You know...I could just rip your arm off and fling the box of kryptonite into space in a picosecond, right?

Nightwing: Yeah. But I'm BATMAN!

Superman: ......No...no, you're not.

Nightwing: Dammit! It always works for Bruce but never me!

Superman: Just put away the box and I'll forget...

Nightwing: SHAZAAAAAARRRGH!

Superman: Now why would you do something stupid like that?!

Nightwing: My arm....my beautiful, taut arm! I used to jerk--

Superman: Enough! I'll put it back on if you agree to disband the Outsiders. It's a shitty team and nobody likes them.

Validus
Superman: Enough! I'll put it back on if you agree to disband the Outsiders. It's a shitty team and nobody likes them.
weep

The Outsiders need to exist, if only for the fact I need a half decent Nightwing comic every month.

Skeets
Feck Nightwing it's all about Robin now.......jockey

Accel
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Damn, I have crappy timing.

I just started reading Nightwing and NOW his stories are crap?

Validus
Originally posted by Accel
Damn, I have crappy timing.

I just started reading Nightwing and NOW his stories are crap?
Not now. More like the past 2 or so years.

aton_ra
Originally posted by Skeets
Feck Nightwing it's all about Robin now.......jockey

Yup he's batman's true successor and what Nightwing should have been years ago. cool

King_Mungi
Is JLA #0 out now?

olympian
Nightwing as of now its only worth because of JT.

Man does he knows how to steal a show.

ScarletSpider
Yeah, just curious, what are Donna Troy's power levels? I'm not a big DC buff, but I always thought that, as a mystic clone type thing, she was more or less equal to the real Wonder Woman. Is that just not true at all?

Devil Lance
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Yeah, just curious, what are Donna Troy's power levels? I'm not a big DC buff, but I always thought that, as a mystic clone type thing, she was more or less equal to the real Wonder Woman. Is that just not true at all?
no its ture she's just jobbing now wink

non Jobbing Donna is good enough to beat starfire

although validus will probably say something like Donna has always been weak roll eyes (sarcastic)

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Devil Lance
no its ture she's just jobbing now wink

non Jobbing Donna is good enough to beat starfire

although validus will probably say something like Donna has always been weak roll eyes (sarcastic)

jk validus

kinda big grin

Draco69
Originally posted by ScarletSpider

Her history has been retconned...again. So, it's hard to tell.

Previously, as the magical clone of Diana, she was basically Wonder Woman-lite. She had all her powers but to a much lesser extent.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.