Water

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wonderer
Go to: http://www.cygnus-books.co.uk/features/hidden-messages-water-masaru-emoto.htm I'm busy reading this book - it's amazing. It's about the effect of words on water - basically positive words cause the water to form beautiful crystals, while negative words form ugly or non-crystals. It really makes you think about the mystery of water, the source and force of life, the thing that's the most common element shared by all creatures. What you think of it?

Jonathan Mark
I wonder what drugs that guy is on...

Wonderer
Originally posted by Jonathan Mark
I wonder what drugs that guy is on...
I don't think he's on drugs, but whether he is or not, the experiments have been scientifically verified and proved and even published in Nature magazine and other American scientific magazines.

There is no theory involved, but pure physically verifiable results.

It's simple - water were poured into a jar, a paper with some word(s) printed on was pasted onto the jar, the water was then frozen and the crystals photographed.

The result is that positive words produced pretty crystals and negative words ugly or no crystals.

Mišt
What about if you wrote down something like "I love you, you turn me on, like a chainsaw to the groin you stupid ass motherf*cker?"ermm

Wonderer

.:Space Opera:.
what, thats the craziest thing ive ever heard. so if you yell obscenities at your glass of iced coke itll taste like snot because of the 'negative energy?"

whatever.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Wonderer
the experiments have been scientifically verified and proved

Have they?

....yeah by the scientists of middle earth.

Wonderer
Originally posted by .messedpace Opera:.
what, thats the craziest thing ive ever heard. so if you yell obscenities at your glass of iced coke itll taste like snot because of the 'negative energy?"

whatever.
Why don't you try it out?

Hundreds of families in Japan and other countries all did the same experiment involving 3 cups of rice and got the exact same results. The experiment was as follows: (You can also try it)

1. Fill 3 cups with cooked rice
2. Every day, for 2 weeks, say to the first cup: "Thank you", for the second cup: "You fool", and just ignore the third cup.
3. The result will be that the rice in the first cup you told: "Thank you" will have fermented, while the rice in the second cup you told "You fool", will have turned black and rotten and the rice in the third cup you ignored would have rotten first before the other cup.

Ushgarak
What if the words you said mean something else in a different language?

Somehow I don't think any of this has been independantly verified.

well that does sound like something the japanese would say...

i just happened to be a christian man, do you think that if i did the same experiment with the cups of rice only i prayed for one of them, and ignored the other, and had a devil worshiper come in and spit in the third cup the same effect would happen?

Mindship
The experiment should be conducted where a vacuum separates the speaker from the water. It should also be set up as a double-blind procedure.

Bloigen
I'll stop smacking my water around then.

Wonderer
The words can be in different languages, whatever. The point is that meaning and intention is something universal as far as positive and negative energy is concerned.

Whatever form or medium of expression, good or bad energy is transfered.

PVS
this has to be the biggest buttload of horseshit i have ever read on this forum. and yes, i am taking into account ALL of deanos threads combined.

Lord Urizen
i just happened to be a christian man, do you think that if i did the same experiment with the cups of rice only i prayed for one of them, and ignored the other, and had a devil worshiper come in and spit in the third cup the same effect would happen?

Sorry bro, but the same way you think of her experiment as myth, I think of Christianity as myth. wink

Pandemoniac
I don't believe that labeling bottles of water with kind or vile words has any effect on the water itself. Water can read?! Gimme a break.

Spoken words maybe, as sonic vibrations do influence the molecular alignment. Nice words have a more steady tone, while bad language is often spoken with some distortion. That might afflict the way the water forms crystals, maybe.

Oh yeah, this stuff has been tested on plants as well, to see which sound improves growth. Guess what, heavy metal made them grow remarkably faster, so there goes your 'sweet sounds do good theory'.

"Sorry bro, but the same way you think of her experiment as myth, I think of Christianity as myth. "

good for you, would you like a cookie for being such a rebel? sounds to me like you just dont want to be held accountable for crap that you do in your life wink

debbiejo
The water thing is true!!!

http://www.wellnessgoods.com/messages.asp

looks like a a tree hugger site...

Lord Urizen
"Sorry bro, but the same way you think of her experiment as myth, I think of Christianity as myth. "

good for you, would you like a cookie for being such a rebel? sounds to me like you just dont want to be held accountable for crap that you do in your life wink

And what makes you jump to these conclusions ? erm

You do not know the first thing about me, and you are already making judgements....ah the typical Christian.....

I am PROUD of every mistake I ever made the same way I am proud of all my successes. The WORST thing I think I ever did was slip that damn condom off !!!! ARRRGUUEE !!!!!!!!!!

the mistake that you make is in thinking that christians are some devine people who are holier than holy and make no mistakes. i am a sinner just like you and the rest and we are all equal. the difference is we set higher morals for our lives and strive to be better unlike people like you who, like you said, take pride in their 'mistakes' and sinful decisions. AHH the typical non-believer.

mysticpeach
The first time i have actually heard about this was in the movie "What the Bleep do we really know?" and after i read a bit about it.. I think its very cool too, and its not something thats hard for me to believe. I think our thoughts and what we say has a big effect on ourselves.. just like in the movie, when a person would say "I love you" the water would form into a beautiful crystal shape, and when a person would say "I hate you" the water would become shattered.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm rather incredulous to this, but water has always fascinated me. If you've ever stood on a beach and watched lines of swell march into a bay, you'll have realised that there's something very profound going on. Grasping that it's not the water that is moving, but rather the energy inside it always amazes me when I see it in action.

*Understatement alert*

However, I don't see how water can read a piece of paper. Is Water versed in all the languages of the world? What about if I draw a bunch of squiggles that I have a really warm feeling about, will that make 'prettier' crystals?

*farts*

mysticpeach
Well maybe its not that the water is reading the words, but the energy that you put into saying or writing the words..

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That'd be peachy, but what if I say "Go f*ck a rhino" to it, but in a really sweet and loving way...would that make the oh-so very pretty lovely crystals?

mysticpeach
i really dont know.. the article talked about the vibration from the words..

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Are you saying its picking up the good vibrations? You know, good good good good vibrations?

debbiejo
Ummmmmm yeah..........Well if you look at that we are part of the creation process, that would also make us creators on the visible and the invisible areas........... big grin

Mindship
The experiment is loaded with contaminating variables.

Lord Urizen
the mistake that you make is in thinking that christians are some devine people who are holier than holy and make no mistakes. i am a sinner just like you and the rest and we are all equal. the difference is we set higher morals for our lives and strive to be better unlike people like you who, like you said, take pride in their 'mistakes' and sinful decisions. AHH the typical non-believer.

Dude, i do not think all Christians are like that, i was being sarcastic.

You my freind are adding to your OWN stereotype, so i suggest less talking. You set higher morals and standards...yeah ok....sure buddy. Keep telling yourself that wink

Spreading hate and judgement is not my idea of having "higher morals" or "striving to be better". I have never aimed to hurt a person, so any "mistake" i have ever made i am proud of, since no one was hurt in the process. I keep to myself pretty much, and just try to live in my own life. You have no right to bear any judgement on someone you don't know, get that through ur head.

Point is.....this water experiment MAY be true, and YOU are disregarding it simply because it goes against your Christian beliefs. You pretty much referred to this "Water" thing as a myth, and I am just making you aware that you sound like a hypocrit, because there ARE people who think that Christianity is a myth. Don't go calling someone else's beleif a "myth" (especially when they can back it up), when your OWN Faith leaves a LOT to be question. wink

Magee
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Sorry bro, but the same way you think of her experiment as myth, I think of Christianity as myth. wink Why bait him in to an argument? This is not the thread to argue about it.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Magee
Why bait him in to an argument? This is not the thread to argue about it.

Wasn't trying to. He stated very clearly that he thinks this is all BS because his religion prevents him from being open minded about it. He was referring to this "water" experiment as a practical myth, simply because it contradicts his religion.

He brought up his religion, not me.

Which I have nothing against, he can beleive whatever he wants, but I wanted to let him know that he sounds like a hypocrit, because many people think his religion is a myth.....POINT being.....he shouldn't refer to this water experiment as a myth, and then expect no1 to call his Faith a myth.

That's all.

like i said, i admit i do lash off and get easily irritable about things concerning this alot, but you got to understand that there is alot of pressure on the common christian BECAUSE of the stereotype. they have higher standards to meet, and when a christian makes a mistake its noticed 100x more. its like a guy who has a christian fish on his car makes a mistake on the road, and somebody sees him and says to himself 'damn christian' ive caught myself doing it too.

debbiejo
I've done experiments with water and plants using intentions and words before........ cool

INMYPANTS
you cannot live w/o water. F@CT smile

Lord Urizen
like i said, i admit i do lash off and get easily irritable about things concerning this alot, but you got to understand that there is alot of pressure on the common christian BECAUSE of the stereotype. they have higher standards to meet, and when a christian makes a mistake its noticed 100x more. its like a guy who has a christian fish on his car makes a mistake on the road, and somebody sees him and says to himself 'damn christian' ive caught myself doing it too.

Okay sorry, but lets move on. this is not the thread to discuss that.

NineCoronas

whatever. Maybe not the negative energy, but perhaps the sound waves coming from it are more... disruptive than calm ones. *shrug*

debbiejo
I've read plants will be stunted in growth when subjected to constant negativity and harsh words..........

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by debbiejo
I've done experiments with water and plants using intentions and words before........ cool

Are you refering to the plant known as the debbiejo flower? The one with the oh-so-pretty eyes? Did you abuse it? Naughty flower...

leonidas
isn't there some proof as well that if you talk to plants they grow better?

i too am incredulous about the water thing. i'd like to see it replicated scientifically bby 'scientists' rather than 'spiritualists as seems to be the case. has anyone heard or read about the 3 rice cups? seems if you wrap a cup of rice in a 'kind' word (written on paper) and a cup in a 'harsh' word and don't wrap a control cup in any words, the kind cup ferments, the harsh cup blackens and the conrtol blackens even faster! don't shoot the messenger, just saying . . . erm

i wonder though -- what if it IS true? what would the implications suggest and what might it lead to?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Are you refering to the plant known as the debbiejo flower? The one with the oh-so-pretty eyes? Did you abuse it? Naughty flower... Ah haaaaa...yet, no no......It's more special than than wink ...It was a healing flower.........a flower that grew.........also did it with an animal that was wounded.......... wink

Also, did it with a twerp to make him make a fool of himself............... laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

ThePrincessBee
Theres nothing like a nice, clear, clean, cool, glass of water. Nothing beats it.

Wonderer
Originally posted by leonidas
isn't there some proof as well that if you talk to plants they grow better?

i too am incredulous about the water thing. i'd like to see it replicated scientifically bby 'scientists' rather than 'spiritualists as seems to be the case. has anyone heard or read about the 3 rice cups? seems if you wrap a cup of rice in a 'kind' word (written on paper) and a cup in a 'harsh' word and don't wrap a control cup in any words, the kind cup ferments, the harsh cup blackens and the conrtol blackens even faster! don't shoot the messenger, just saying . . . erm

i wonder though -- what if it IS true? what would the implications suggest and what might it lead to?

Ok, so maybe Emoto's water experiments haven't been verified via traditional scientific peer review methods, but his ideas are still noble and good and may even be true. His intentions, I think, are truthful and at least he wants people to create a better, more humane world free of evil and suffering.

One cannot categorically simply reject any claim that has not been scientifically verified, simply because of the fact, because that suggests that science is the one and only absolute of truth. The real truth is not somehing that anyone can truely lay claim to by any means - nobody really knows anyway and we must be humble like the great Socrates said: "The wise man is the one who knows he knows nothing.", right?

leonidas
Ok, so maybe Emoto's water experiments haven't been verified via traditional scientific peer review methods, but his ideas are still noble and good and may even be true. His intentions, I think, are truthful and at least he wants people to create a better, more humane world free of evil and suffering.

One cannot categorically simply reject any claim that has not been scientifically verified, simply because of the fact, because that suggests that science is the one and only absolute of truth. The real truth is not somehing that anyone can truely lay claim to by any means - nobody really knows anyway and we must be humble like the great Socrates said: "The wise man is the one who knows he knows nothing.", right?

are you saying then that we should just accept what he claims blindly? i'm not arguing his intentions. but it is a wild claim that could have enormous implications in many areas. if someone says -- i've cured cancer, take this pill and you'll never get it! should i just take the pill?

intentions have nothing to do with it, i did not reject the notion categorically, and science is not absolute truth but it does attempt to ascertain what the truth is. if these claims ARE truthful, why should they not be subject to more rigorous testing?

Wonderer
Originally posted by leonidas
are you saying then that we should just accept what he claims blindly? i'm not arguing his intentions. but it is a wild claim that could have enormous implications in many areas. if someone says -- i've cured cancer, take this pill and you'll never get it! should i just take the pill?

intentions have nothing to do with it, i did not reject the notion categorically, and science is not absolute truth but it does attempt to ascertain what the truth is. if these claims ARE truthful, why should they not be subject to more rigorous testing?

I think Masaru Emoto is not interested in scientific proof or any kind of point that he's trying to make - he doesn't seek recognition like other scientists, which also helps to affirm his pure intentions and spiritual interest. Some things are not about testing and proof, but more for the spiritually enlightened person who knows life is about the simple principles of goodness and happiness, not about theoretical meaninglessness and material gain, vanity, intellectualism, etc.

It's about simple, good, energised vibrations and about what you put in, you'll get out : good in = good out.

With all the scienctific proofs and technological advancements, elaborate scientific theories, etc, humans have not become happier or more mature spiritually and emotionally, that's why it's more important to train your spirit to become more balanced, if happiness and peace is what you're after.

Mindship
There seems to be this idea that science and a spiritual orientation toward life are mutually exclusive. Not so! Many of history's greatest scientists have been very spiritual people; indeed, what they learned through scientific investigation only strengthened their spiritual perspective. Science does not automatically disavow or negate a spiritual POV. What it does do, however, is help people to not fool themselves into believing their own wish-fulfillment.

As I mentioned in prior posts, this water experiment is loaded with contaminating variables. Eg, it should be done where the water is isolated from sound waves and set-up as a blind procedure.

Then again, to paraphrase Lucifer, it would appear that many people prefer to "rule in fantasy than serve in truth."

jerry

leonidas
Originally posted by Mindship
There seems to be this idea that science and a spiritual orientation toward life are mutually exclusive. Not so! Many of history's greatest scientists have been very spiritual people; indeed, what they learned through scientific investigation only strengthened their spiritual perspective. Science does not automatically disavow or negate a spiritual POV. What it does do, however, is help people to not fool themselves into believing their own wish-fulfillment.

As I mentioned in prior posts, this water experiment is loaded with contaminating variables. Eg, it should be done where the water is isolated from sound waves and set-up as a blind procedure.

Then again, to paraphrase Lucifer, it would appear that many people prefer to "rule in fantasy than serve in truth."

jerry

wink

Wonderer
jerry
1. How do you know the experiments wasn't conducted in the absence of sound waves?

2. Even so, why is there a consistency in the test results? - the consistency that all negative words produce ugly crytals or none at all, and all positive words produce beautiful crystals? If the 'contaminating' factors, as you call them really had an influence, then shouldn't the results have been more random?

3. I'm sorry, but your rebuttal doesn't have logical support.

4. Even Einstein (and he was very spiritual and praised Buddhism as the religion of the future) said: .

5. So, are you saying that science is our only probe? Well, my friend, if things are truely spritual and metaphysical, then science won't be able to tell you the truth.

Mindship
1. How do you know the experiments wasn't conducted in the absence of sound waves?
2. Even so, why is there a consistency in the test results? - the consistency that all negative words produce ugly crytals or none at all, and all positive words produce beautiful crystals? If the 'contaminating' factors, as you call them really had an influence, then shouldn't the results have been more random?
3. I'm sorry, but your rebuttal doesn't have logical support.
4. Even Einstein (and he was very spiritual and praised Buddhism as the religion of the future) said: .
5. So, are you saying that science is our only probe? Well, my friend, if things are truely spritual and metaphysical, then science won't be able to tell you the truth.

1. What makes you think they might have been? That aside, an honest experiment states all procedures and factors involved, trying to account for contaminating variables. These experiments fail on that count.

2. I don't know there's that consistency. Just because someone wrote that? Not good enough: experimental fraud happens all the time, especially when someone is looking to make a name for him/herself. Again, the experimental procedures should have been spelled out clearly so that others--especially those with a neutral stance (hence, the reason for a blind set-up)--can replicate the experiment and have the results reviewed by peers. I am not against the results on principle, but I do understand what a powerful influence wish-fulfillment can be.

3. This empty statement is beneath you. This is usually what someone says when They are the ones feeling unsure of their position. It's so overused by so many, it's becoming cliche.
For what it's worth, I've read other posts of yours--intelligently written--in other threads, and like you, I tend to believe there is more to the universe than meets the eye or mind. Apparently, though, I am more judicious about drawing conclusions.

4. I am a big believer in intuition, but clearly, if Einstein felt it was the primary means to acquire reliable (and perhaps valid) knowledge, he would not have bothered with equations and experiments. He did not mean intuition should replace scientific method, but that it is a valuable part of it; indeed, scientific inquiry often begins with a "hunch." It's what got him going on his relativity ideas.

5. Not at all, at least not empirical science. May I refer you to a thread I started a few months ago, in the Philosophy forum, entitled "Science and God." It asks, among other things, is Science defined by Method or by nature of proof? The bigger question is, can Scientific Method be used to prove the existence of a spiritual/metaphysical dimension to reality? Keeping in mind that Science is "applied common sense," I would argue it can, as long as one is fair about it, ie, operationally defining terms and having the tools used and data collected reflect the domain being studied.
In any event, no one ever said science is perfect, but it is the least imperfect, thus far, of any other approach (again: "applied common sense"wink. It does not necessarily have to negate intuition or any higher faculty of knowing humans may well possess. Higher consciousness does not substitute for lower; it subsumes it, so that more and more of a person's entire being can be engaged in the quest for Truth.

leonidas
I think Masaru Emoto is not interested in scientific proof or any kind of point that he's trying to make - he doesn't seek recognition like other scientists, which also helps to affirm his pure intentions and spiritual interest. Some things are not about testing and proof, but more for the spiritually enlightened person who knows life is about the simple principles of goodness and happiness, not about theoretical meaninglessness and material gain, vanity, intellectualism, etc.

and yet . . . he published a book about his findings and has a website dedicated to them . . .? confused

fact is, if you make the kind of assertions he has made, you had best be ready to answer skepticism. to reply with something like -- i wasn't trying to be scientific because all i was really interested in was purity of intention and a hope of seeing something spiritual -- undermines you own results. regardless of whether you agree, for something to be fully accepted by most, it needs to stand up to testing. and again i ask -- what is he afraid of? if his results are in fact as real as he claims, what harm in submitting them to a more rigorous body of tests?

i would love to think he is correct, but before i believe it, i need to see more proof. to simply accept blindly, and on faith, seems, imo, a little naive.

Wonderer
1. What makes you think they might have been? That aside, an honest experiment states all procedures and factors involved, trying to account for contaminating variables. These experiments fail on that count.

2. I don't know there's that consistency. Just because someone wrote that? Not good enough: experimental fraud happens all the time, especially when someone is looking to make a name for him/herself. Again, the experimental procedures should have been spelled out clearly so that others--especially those with a neutral stance (hence, the reason for a blind set-up)--can replicate the experiment and have the results reviewed by peers. I am not against the results on principle, but I do understand what a powerful influence wish-fulfillment can be.
Ok, I understand where you are coming from and I respect your stance. To me, it really doesn't matter to have scientific proof, because I have made peace with truth (whatever the truth may be). I used to be very obsessed with opinions, theories, argumentation, etc. but luckily I have been cured. smile

Happy water consumption everyone!thumb up And remember: it's not about the truth, but about how you get to it that matters. When you quit looking for the meaning of life, meaning will be self-revealing every living moment.

botankus
Out of sheer boredom rather than anything else, I finally jumped into this thriller of a thread to see what it was about. And I'm done explaining what it was about, although two dudes got into some textbook religious battle about halfway through the thread.

Mindship
Happy water consumption everyone!thumb up And remember: it's not about the truth, but about how you get to it that matters. When you quit looking for the meaning of life, meaning will be self-revealing every living moment.
cheers

Wonderer
Ok, Masaru Emoto was invited to speak at Harvard University, Princeton, etc, etc. and at places and conferences all over the world. I don't think universities of that caliber would invite a quack to speak on scientific discoveries. Other people and other professionals do take his experiments seriously, only you people on this pseudo-forum are sceptic. What's there to be sceptic about? This guy came to some great discoveries and confirmations of water and the need to respect it.

debbiejo
I bought his book..... big grin

Wonderer
Originally posted by debbiejo
I bought his book..... big grin

My mom baught it, and now I'm borrowing it from her - almost done reading it.

SP90
Electric guitars have a sweet sound ! stick out tongue

Wonderer
Originally posted by SP90
Electric guitars have a sweet sound ! stick out tongue
If you play good music on them. But the violin sounds even sweeter.

Mindship
...Masaru Emoto was invited to speak at Harvard University, Princeton, etc, etc. and at places and conferences all over the world.
I will be interested to read their evaluation.

...pseudo-forum...
I thought this was a real forum with mostly pseudo-scientists... wink

Wonderer
I will be interested to read their evaluation.

I thought this was a real forum with mostly pseudo-scientists... wink
Ok, informal forum then. wink

But as Nietzsche or Einstein? once remarked something like: Wisdom and intellectuals are more often found among the uneducated, than among the "knowledgable" academics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.