Steroid Testing in High Schools

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
new jersey has just become the first state to begin testing high school athletes for steroids. tests cost somewhere between $150-$200/test and will cover a few sports -- football, soccer, baseball, swimming and hockey. these were the sports where performance enhancers were used most frequently a study conducted bby the ncaa found.

my question -- do you think all states should adopt this policy? apparently the tests will be random and many will be done on the championship levels. punishment in 1 year loss of eligibility. if you're a senior, you're screwed. if you disagree with this policy, what would you like to see done to decrease the use of performance enhancers? they are killing people and in 40 years we will be shouldering the cost of the illnesses that will have been brought on by use of these drugs.

i realize this might fit in the sports forum, but i think it is enough of a general interest topic to fit here AND, frankly, you get much better and better thought out discussion in THIS forum. wink

Mindship
Use of performance drugs = cheating. Period.
I can't see why testing wouldn't be a good idea.
flex

leonidas
many states are claiming they don't have the funds. and if only one state does it, is it realy fair? kids in jersey are being punished while kids in other states go on cheating. i think the government needs to provide ALL states with funding for the program or it will simply not work in any equitable fashion.

Blanca
I think it's a good idea too. If one state can't cheat, the others shouldn't be able to either. Plus, if they're cheating, they aren't really all that talented then are they? So they don't deserve to be able to go to college on an athletic scholarship.

Soleran
Good, yes test the athletes for steroids and yes I believe the federal govt should help to sponsor this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.