What are peoples attitudes and oppinions to astral travel? or OOBE?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SaferSephiroth
What are peoples attitudes and oppinions to astral travel (out of body experience)? There are so many references to it in many religions. I can get out my body, but i get pulled back pretty quickly (non-believers please dont mock me, I believe what i want). im intrested in anyones oppinions, so please post.

Alliance
You can believe what you want, as long as you can back it up. I only mock what is unsupported big grin.

I think the OBEs are....how do I say....cr@p?

The best part of this though was that you used the word astral...as in astral microtubules...and that made my day. nerd

debbiejo
I've know people who have done it along with myself 3 times..........Sorry, but it is possible for all you unbelievers....

Mindship
I am open to the possibility. But "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence," and thusfar none has surfaced...and I say this as a practiced lucid dreamer with many OOB-like experiences under his belt.

debbiejo
OBE is also what people experience when on the operating table stating that they looked down and saw what was happening and hearing.....

I've read a lot about it............

Jonathan Mark
The only Astral Plane I know of is the one in D&D...

Alliance
how would you differentiate between an out of body dream and an OBE...alot of crazy sh1t happens when you're hopped up on anesthetics, i would judge the mental capacity of the patient to actually remember if they had an OBE or not.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Alliance
how would you differentiate between an out of body dream and an OBE...alot of crazy sh1t happens when you're hopped up on anesthetics, i would judge the mental capacity of the patient to actually remember if they had an OBE or not. Because, you can still and see what is going on around you........for instance someone in your house is playing a computer game, and you hear and see it though it sounds distorted and slower........

Shakyamunison
There is a way to test this:

Take a desk of cards and pull out of the desk 5 cards without looking at then. Have someone else place the cards face up on the top of a high shelf. Then you astral travel out of your body and look at the cards. Write down your results and then get the cards and see if you are correct.

Alliance
Debbiejo: YOu can have ultrarealistic dreams where you see yourself and other things around you.

I had a dream once where I got up, went through my morning routine, wend to class, went through a 1.5 hr lecture, came back and went to bed to take a nep. I then woke up to my alarm at the normal time, but was rather convinced for a few minutes I had already gone to class. messed It wasn't an OBE.

The Shakya, that might work if it could be duplicated/repeated, but you can't attribute that to only OBEs. The same phenomenon could be contributed to phsycicness or x-ray vision.

Shakyamunison
Debbiejo: YOu can have ultrarealistic dreams where you see yourself and other things around you.

I had a dream once where I got up, went through my morning routine, wend to class, went through a 1.5 hr lecture, came back and went to bed to take a nep. I then woke up to my alarm at the normal time, but was rather convinced for a few minutes I had already gone to class. messed It wasn't an OBE.

The Shakya, that might work if it could be duplicated/repeated, but you can't attribute that to only OBEs. The same phenomenon could be contributed to phsycicness or x-ray vision.

I don't think anyone can do it. It has been tested before. Scientists have done studies with people who claim to be able to leave their body. They put a person in a room with a bed and asked them to OBE. Unknown to these people was a sign on the top of a book case that could only be seen from above. The letters were bright red and if you were floating above the room it would have caught your eye. None of the people, in all of the studies, reported seeing any sign.

debbiejo
Shaky those tests have been done, and they were proven to be true........and Alliance.........I couldn't get out of or past my ceiling....... laughing out loud

I've studied is just for fascination and there are many documented medical stories.........

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Shaky those tests have been done, and they were proven to be true........and Alliance.........I couldn't get out of or past my ceiling....... laughing out loud

I've studied is just for fascination and there are many documented medical stories.........

Well, take my test and put the cards in a place were you can only see them when you OGE.

Alliance
is that in fantasyland?

laughing

Mindship

A surgeon, intrigued over the years of occasional OOBEs reported by some of his patients, set up an electronic message scroll on top of a cabinet in the OR. He figured, if a patient's OOBE was genuine, they would be able to tell him what the scroll said after they came to.

After a year of doing this, no patient ever told him what the scroll said (though it's not clear if any patients had OOBEs during that year). I also feel that if you have an OOBE, you're gonna be so astounded that, looking for/recognizing a test set-up, may not be first on the astral traveler's mind.

(BTW, knowledge of the scroll, as revealed through, say, clairvoyance instead of an OOBE, would IMO be just as compelling. X-ray vision, on the other hand...well, that would come with its own set of questions).

I once had a lucid dream (many years ago) where my dream surroundings matched my physical surroundings. I got out of bed (in my dream) went into my parents' bedroom, saw them sleeping, and said to them, "I'm gonna ask you if you remember me visiting you in a dream."

The next morning, they had no such recollection...but then, one might say they simply did not remember their own dreams.

It is interesting stuff, but again, "extraordinary claims..."

debbiejo
is that in fantasyland?

laughing Couldn't get past my damn ceiling...... mad

hahahahahahaha...............and also, I didn't plan on it to happen either, though there is one time where I felt I was given a choice to do so, so I said what the hey............I did leave the house at night.......everything was dark out (cause it was night).........saw all the houses down below with there lights on..........then suddenly I was whipped back like I was attached to a rubber band............and zoom.......back like as quick as lightening...........weird...........haven't been able to do it since.

Alliance
This leads me to observe two things.

1. It was a singular random event. (but this is unfair because if ti was repeated, I'd jsut say you needed psychiatric help laughing no expression)

2. It was late at night, how do you know you didn't just doze off for a sec? Its like when you're falling asleep in class, and as soon as your head starts to fall down you get that rubberband back feeling.

3. If this was a dream, it likely describes what you were thingking about at the time...the night, the little houses outside...its not a huge intellectual jump to attribute this to a quick dozing.

4. You're ceilings there for a reason! big grin

And I agree with mindship...simple "extraordinary" in the most negative of connotations.

debbiejo
Hey, I was very alert with this.....and thought it very strange, but wasn't scared at all...just went with the flow..............It does go with quantum physics ya know..............And it was in the middle of the after noon when I couldn't get past my ceiling and heard my son playin and seeing him play the computer............I only wish I could do it again........it was really neat,.

Do a research study on it............it's been done before....many many times especially in near death situations...........

I did read though, if you are afraid, it will draw fearful experiences to you....(like attracts like).........but I wasn't afraid.........in fact when in my living room, I thought it so cool, cause I kept flowing back into my body, that I make it happen about 6 times that one day, last summer......All in one sitting, or should I say laying..............

was really cool!

I am a person that is curious about things which includes the sciences behind it and then try things..............oh well, you don't have to believe,.........for me it was only a theory, but now I know better.

Oh and BTW, I hate even sharing this cause I know what I sound like in doing so, and coming from a pentecostal upbringing.

debbiejo
Originally posted by debbiejo
Hey, I was very alert with this.....and thought it very strange, but wasn't scared at all...just went with the flow..............It does go with quantum physics ya know..............And it was in the middle of the after noon when I couldn't get past my ceiling and heard my son playin and seeing him play the computer............I only wish I could do it again........it was really neat,.

Do a research study on it............it's been done before....many many times especially in near death situations...........

I did read though, if you are afraid, it will draw fearful experiences to you....(like attracts like).........but I wasn't afraid.........in fact when in my living room, I thought it so cool, cause I kept flowing back into my body, that I make it happen about 6 times that one day, last summer......All in one sitting, or should I say laying..............

was really cool!

I am a person that is curious about things which includes the sciences behind it and then try things..............oh well, you don't have to believe,.........for me it was only a theory, but now I know better.

Oh and BTW, I hate even sharing this cause I know what I sound like in doing so, and coming from a pentecostal upbringing.

Oops

Jonathan Mark
My mother claimed to experience like this once when she nearly died at my birth.

debbiejo
it was 3:00 in the afternoon..............Why did these 3 times happen???..I don't know........................honest...........i can't do it again though.............at least not yet, maybe stress....................hmmm, but there is something we don't know about....................

And mr A.........................please disprove my experience of it, and btw, I don't ususally post things like this.

Alliance
If its so true, why are you so nervous about loosing your credibility? laughing out loud

debbiejo
I'm not, though only to talk about it with Atheist would screw me over...............I'm not good at fighting.

Alliance
laughing out loud how would talk with an athiest perclude the lack of existance of souls?

ok...I'm a wierd athiest. I just don't believe the soul escapes from the body.

debbiejo
Not souls .just energy.

Alliance
Then why is your energy part of your active consciousness?

debbiejo
Why is the invisible not seen by us???? and why is quantum physics proving this?

Alliance
The inability to percieve quantum foam and spontaneous violoations of the Conservation of energy is not a clarion call backing up OBEs and supernatural phenomena.

debbiejo
Do you know all the theories of this fields and the related fields?

Alliance
maybe? confused refresh me stick out tongue

debbiejo
It would take a long long time.........It may be better if I just listed books...... cool

ImOne
There is some evidence that OBE's do occur. It's not possible to know if OBE's are different from other ESP phenomena such as Remote Viewing. One of the reasons we don't know more about these phenomena is because of peoples reluctance to share their experiences and be subjected to ridicule. embarrasment Another reason is these events are sporadic making it difficult to study under controlled conditions.

From Wikipedia:
Approximately one in ten people claim to have had an out-of-body experience at some time in their lives.

debbiejo
Alliance how many times are you gonna bring up that foam???? laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.