Socrates, Pericles and John Kennedy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthsith19
"Explain how Socrates, Pericles, and John Kennedy viewed democratic societies differently."

This one of 10 questions I must know for my test tomorrow. We were given 10 questions, two of which my teacher will pick at random tomorrow. We can use any hand-written notes. Our answers must be in 5-paragraph essay format. So most people write outlines for each question. This is one I need help on, the packet we read last fall on this toppic was deadly boring, um, could someone just give me a little about how their views were different? Please, help would be greatly appreciated. smile

Alliance
Oh my. Finals?!?

darthsith19
Unfortunately, yes. Here's another one, if anyone feels like helping.

"Both Marx and Plato said that societies evolve in a certain pattern. Explain whether you agree or disagree using examples from world history. Briefly explain the similarities and differences in your answer."

Here: http://michaelboucher.livejournal.com/

WrathfulDwarf
That's really a tough one and might take quite a lot posts to get it throught. For now I'll just say this...

Both Socrates and Pericles believed in a more outdated version of Democracy...one that included basic and more primitive (wrong word to use here but is the best I can come up with) ideas and a more earlier philosophical thoughts.

Whereas Kennedy is the more modern version of democracy. One which is influneced by many more philosophers such Locke, Rousseou, and Jefferson. It is obvious that Kennedy has the more expanded version of democracy than the previous men. Also, he has experience in applying the idea of democracy...meaning he became a leader. A ruler....which as oppose to the other two...he has a more better understanding of how to apply democracy on the people.

That's all I can think right now.

Alliance
I'd start by Wikipedia. There will certainly be a whole section on the Periclean reforms of athenian democracy. Socratese I'm sure has a section about him. As far as JFK....that stumps me.

darthsith19
Okay, hmm...

FYI I sitll need to do questions 5, 8 and 9. He will roll a die tomorrow to see which two we have to do on our final.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.