Ads on schoolbuses

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Schools finally have an alternative source of much needed funding but at what cost?

Imaginary
... nothing wrong with it. We have it here in Australia (in Sydney at least) and it doesn't make one iota of difference at all.

Imperial_Samura
Not a problem I would have thought, as long as the advertising is not inappropriate I don't see why it shouldn't be up there with bake sales and raffles as a revenue raiser.

Here in Australia public/state school buses are part of the mass transit system, so when they aren't running school kids around they are just normal buses. As a result they carry advertisements, and there is no problem. Of course, since the buses don't belong to the schools the schools don't actually benefit from the ads, but eh. Still no problem.

botankus
I heard Trojan is making a big push to be the main sponsor. I guess, like NASCAR, about 10,000 of the smaller ads will get their sticker on the side. If Budweiser and Marlboro don't step up to the plate, I'm afraid we'll have to settle for Clorox and Nestle Quik as alternatives...be a damn shame. sad

Fire
no problems with ads on schoolbuses

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's a great idea! Next, parents should offer the back's of their new-born for advertising space that can be tattooed on for life!

botankus
I'm not adament about many things (except serving chicken wings that aren't blazing hot), but some of you may remember a few posts I made about advertising in general. I'm against the majority of it, and not because it offers a business a chance to grow. Far from it. I think what advertising has been reduced to in the year 2006 is at a new low.

It patronizes the consumer (i.e. Internet banners saying you won a plasma TV for clicking on Jessica Simpson's legs (that's hers, BTW)), cheapens the world around us (school bus ads outside of metropolitan areas), bombards us with ads (NASCAR cars are about as tacky as you can get...so is their shoving of the primary sponsor into Winner's Circle, if you've ever seen that), shortens our television viewing pleasure (do they really need 3 commercial breaks before they start every damn football game..."Coming up next: The Coin Toss"wink, and takes away from our imagination (Like that Coca-Cola "20" they have before movies...it takes away from conversation time with an onslaught of ads and commercials at the movie theater of all places).

debbiejo
Hmmm adds on school buses..........Hope it's not for cigarettes.......

Marlboro man.........not cool.

botankus
I don't care if it's Gerber or Huggies, I'm still going to moon every bus that crosses my path.

debbiejo
Ohhhhhhh please don't!! eek!

Well who knows, you just might find some followers.....you'll have you're own groopies..........

Mindship
Ads for healthy eating (Not fast food); feeling good about yourself as you are (you don't need to be so thin your thighs and calves are the same diameter); ads emphasizing respect for others (not, "I'm better than you cuz I drive a more expensive car"wink... these are all good ideas. Let's do it!

debbiejo
^^ I agree with that.......More possitive message...............Not "Jesus is God" mkay?

botankus
It's a great idea, but after the idea goes for a while they won't be able to resist the $$$$ of ads for Powerball, Victoria Secrets, or Kelly Clarkston's new CD.

debbiejo
^^ I don't like that..............

How about messages from the 60's "Love not War"

botankus
No one wants to see the Magical Mystery Bus picking their kid up for school. Sorry. You'd have a better chance getting an ad promoting the Paris Hilton Internet tape on it.

debbiejo
No rainbow bus??....... sad

botankus
No Shaggin' Wagon. I'm up for a Maxim ad, however.

PVS
at first glance i though the thread read "aids on schoolbuses" messed

botankus
laughing out loud I wouldn't put it past some people on here to create a thread like that, though.

debbiejo
Well, I thought it said Aids also...........but wouldn't want to be accused of going OT by someone......... wink

PVS
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well, I thought it said Aids also...........but wouldn't want to be accused of going OT by someone......... wink

you just did

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
you just did

And so did you.

debbiejo
I'm closing my eyes and not even looking at you. Look---> schmoll

PVS
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
And so did you.

..and you...and me again...and now we can finally put a cork on that genie

botankus
Come on, guys, enough with the off topic bullsh*t. This is an important issue! Now who here has ever ridden home with someone with Aids on a school bus? Anyone?

PVS
i find it odd that they are more concerned with putting ads on a schoolbus, but no seatbelts.

debbiejo
Great deterrent!!

Bardock42
I don't care, id the companies think it is a good idea to put ads on school buses and the Schools think it is as well, sweet...go for it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't care, id the companies think it is a good idea to put ads on school buses and the Schools think it is as well, sweet...go for it.

So cigarette and boos adds all over the bus. wink laughing

botankus
When they get the seat belts put in, they need to focus on putting more straightjackets on the buses for the unruly brats. That would keep approximately 99% of the kids under wraps to and from school.

Bardock42
So cigarette and boos adds all over the bus. wink laughing

Yes.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yes.

And drug adds.

Drugs could also be the answer to what botankus said. laughing

Boy you don't want me on your school board. laughing

debbiejo
Well it's better than writing on a dirty bus "I wish my wife was this dirty".... embarrasment

Bardock42
And drug adds.

Drugs could also be the answer to what botankus said. laughing

Boy you don't want me on your school board. laughing

If the Drug Companies pay good money. Yes.

botankus
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well it's better than writing on a dirty bus "I wish my wife was this dirty".... embarrasment

I'm not a psychiatrist, but I'll be willing to bet that this quote showed up somewhere, somehow, and at some point in your life.

GCG
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Schools finally have an alternative source of much needed funding but at what cost?

Adverising candy and high sucerose drinks, could undermine years of education on healthy foods. Obviously MacDonalds will pay better than some Good Earth store, and the adverts will look far more attractive.

New Faith
Free enterprise, mate. Gotta love America.

I got no problem with it.

WrathfulDwarf
Great!

GAP ads on school buses..."kids you will look cooler and better in these clothes" thumb down

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Great!

GAP ads on school buses..."kids you will look cooler and better in these clothes" thumb down

They probably would too.

FistOfThe North
yea, i think i'd be for advertisements on school buses so long as the materials aren't explicit.

and as an aside, i heard that school officials were also considering having ads beamed, via satellite, right into school bus radios, as well.

mysticpeach
I think its sickening.. i wish more funds went into the education system without having to sell corporate america.

FistOfThe North
Desperate times call for desperate mesures. Schools, especially inner cities schools need the money desperately.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.