My review of X-Men: The Last Stand

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS. *Stop now if you haven't seen it*

X-Men: The Last Stand

I recently saw this installment over the weekend and I must say, I was disappointed. I had far more complaints than I thought I would. When you walk out of a theater with more things that you didn't like as opposed to what you did like, you know there's something wrong. Here's what I didn't like Phoenix. She was completely and utterly different from the comics, (I understand it would be hard to pull off the whole cosmic thing, but they could have done a lot better).

Secondly, I didn't like how Magneto, Rogue, and Mystique all lost their powers. It hinted at Magneto having them back or at least starting to get them back at the end of the film, but I just really didn't like the fact that they tampered with so many characters. Cyclops died, which I didn't really like. Some of the most interesting parts of the Phoenix arcs in the comics is the interaction she shares with Scott. All she did was kiss him and then kill him immediately. Lame. I didn't like the fact that Xavier died... If you stay after the credits, you will see that his consciousness lived on and was transported to a different body, but come on, you don't need to kill off 2 main characters to impress an audience.

The scenes with Storm seemed a little forced at times. Halle Berry stated prior to the film that she wanted Storm to have a larger role, otherwise she would quit. This was pretty evident to me when I watched the film. It seemed like the movie revolved around Wolverine and Storm... not the X-Men. Besides the movie not staying true AT ALL to the comics, there is one more major thing I disliked. They shouldn't have tried to have 2 plots in the movie. They should have either focused on either the Phoenix story or the Cure story. One would have been better, if done correctly and in a good enough depth.

This movie had some good action and it was not a bad film. But... it just wasn't all that great. I think this is partly because of the fact that Bryan Singer didn't direct this one. He seemed to know what he wanted to do with the story/characters and he pulled it off really well. X2 is by far my favorite of the series, followed by X-Men, and then The Last Stand. It seemed as though they tried to cram way too many things into this film without proper coordination and planning.

If you haven't seen the film, and want to, then by all means, go for it. Just don't expect a whole lot, like I did.

I give it a 7/10.

Jury
Please use this thread: X-Men: The Last Stand Discussion

Kal875
Dude like I have stated before in previous threads, if they went the way of the comic books it would be kind of boring because you would no what to expect. Making the movies different is a good thing

InnerRise
This thread has been done before because I remember this user poster making a thread and posting this exact review before.

is it comprehensible....

roughrider
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS. *Stop now if you haven't seen it*

X-Men: The Last Stand

I recently saw this installment over the weekend and I must say, I was disappointed. I had far more complaints than I thought I would. When you walk out of a theater with more things that you didn't like as opposed to what you did like, you know there's something wrong. Here's what I didn't like Phoenix. She was completely and utterly different from the comics, (I understand it would be hard to pull off the whole cosmic thing, but they could have done a lot better).

Secondly, I didn't like how Magneto, Rogue, and Mystique all lost their powers. It hinted at Magneto having them back or at least starting to get them back at the end of the film, but I just really didn't like the fact that they tampered with so many characters. Cyclops died, which I didn't really like. Some of the most interesting parts of the Phoenix arcs in the comics is the interaction she shares with Scott. All she did was kiss him and then kill him immediately. Lame. I didn't like the fact that Xavier died... If you stay after the credits, you will see that his consciousness lived on and was transported to a different body, but come on, you don't need to kill off 2 main characters to impress an audience.

The scenes with Storm seemed a little forced at times. Halle Berry stated prior to the film that she wanted Storm to have a larger role, otherwise she would quit. This was pretty evident to me when I watched the film. It seemed like the movie revolved around Wolverine and Storm... not the X-Men. Besides the movie not staying true AT ALL to the comics, there is one more major thing I disliked. They shouldn't have tried to have 2 plots in the movie. They should have either focused on either the Phoenix story or the Cure story. One would have been better, if done correctly and in a good enough depth.

This movie had some good action and it was not a bad film. But... it just wasn't all that great. I think this is partly because of the fact that Bryan Singer didn't direct this one. He seemed to know what he wanted to do with the story/characters and he pulled it off really well. X2 is by far my favorite of the series, followed by X-Men, and then The Last Stand. It seemed as though they tried to cram way too many things into this film without proper coordination and planning.

If you haven't seen the film, and want to, then by all means, go for it. Just don't expect a whole lot, like I did.

I give it a 7/10.

A comic fan who apparently can't be satisfied by anything.

Filmmakers have the right to interpret material in their own way. Just because Robert Rodriguez chooses to do a shot-for-shot, word-for-word adaptation of SIN CITY, doesn't mean others must follow. That's an example of being so slavishly faithful it's boring, because everything from the comic is there; nothing new.

Like I've said in other threads, doing anything cosmic with the Phoenix storyline is impossible, because there is no cosmic elements to these films. You would need whole other films just to create the proper backstory. A spaceship from the Shi'ar can't just drop in and intervene, it would be ridiculous.

And, I will explain the significance of the twin plots and the deaths. We have travelled a narrative line from the first film, where there was fear and suspicion of mutants, nearly resulting in double genocide and goverment action in X2, before being narrowly averted. Now, just when there seems to be acceptence in society, the cure arises, with all the moral questions about taking it. At the same time, the greatest mutant threat of all emerges in the Phoenix, upping the emotional stakes for the X-Men and other mutants: Do we deserve to exist, because we can be so unstable? Should we fit in with society with this cure, or be proud in who we are? Must we conquer regular humans to live in peace, or is peaceful co-existence still possible? These are the questions put forth by the weaving of the two plots. The X-Men finally decide to support everyone's right to choose by helping the goverment, trusting they will do the right thing and not use the cure forcibly against them. Jean unfortunately is on Magneto's side, becuase she thinks any effort to control her unstable personality and powers is a "cure."

The deaths and de-powering of certain characters have significance. The young kids from the first film are finally grown up, and the death of Xavier is what makes them have to take charge. This has meaning in everyone's life; eventually childhood ends, and you must take over for yourself. After some doubt, Storm finds the Professor is right when he saw her as a leader and successor - just as she would lead the X-Men in the comics. Likewise, the 'death' of Cyclops, the natural leader, is what spurs Wolverine to finally embrace the X-Men as his family and the place he needs to be, after decades without a home. Scott, unfortunately, had little story to tell. People may tire of Wolverine's presence, but he IS the most popular character for a reason. The decision to have the three films about his evolution from loner to leader was the right one, and is faithful to the comics too.

The de-powering of Mystique was a test for Erik, to see how far he would go in his loyalty to mutants and no one else. His decision to abandon her was maybe right, but very cold. He's an example of someone who, having been scarred by monstrous acts of goverment policy, has turned himself into the kind of tyrant he grew up depising. Losing so much of his humanity to hate - it's ironic he is reduced to a mere human by the end.

Overall, I believe it's a good film, and would pay admission just to see Kelsey Grammer as Beast again.
8/10.

Jury
Guys, please stop responding to this thread. Let's use the X-Men: The Last Stand Discussion thread.

It's annoying to see similar threads in the Forums.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.