Okay, who's broken down and gotten the Lite?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Kaliero
I myself had a DS of the original design, and enjoyed it very much. But now it is in the hands of my 6-year-old sister. Why? Well, blame it on the DS' new younger sibling. That's right, the DS Lite.

When I first heard that the DS was being redesigned, my initial reaction was to be intrigued, but not really planning on getting it. I mean, I had a DS, and no redesign without adding new features is really a necessary buy, right?

Right?

Well, not exactly. On Sunday, I got to see one for myself. Seriously, it's like a DS and an iPod had a kid. It looks like a Mac product, with a shiny clear plastic layer over the soft white body. It's just enough smaller than the DS to make you notice that it's smaller, and the overall design slips into a pocket much more easily. The stylus is relocated to the side instead of the back, much closer at hand, and is thicker and longer than the old stylus, making a much more comfortable fit to the fingers. The power button is now a spring-loaded slider switch on the right side, which is personally my second-favorite change. When my old DS was still new, I'd accidentally hit the power button while playing, since it was on the face with all the other buttons and, well, a button. The new slider makes it literally impossible to turn the Lite off while playing; it just can't be done. The Nintendo logo is gone fro mthe top of the lid, replaced with the cool little minimalistic double-screen logo. There's also a dust cover that slots into the GBA slot to protect it and keep the design fluid. And all that with the darn thing still closed.

Open, there's even more to admire. the buttons are smaller and softer, and the D-Pad has those little silver lines from the Wii-mote. the power indicator lights are easier to see on the far right of the hinge, and the mic is right in the middle, between the screens. The start and select buttons are now to the bottom right of the lower screen, out of the way when you don't want 'em, but easy to reach when you do. The hinge is better-built than the weirdly fragile-seeming DS hinge, and the lid closes with a satisfying audible snap. You can't see it closed, but the two screens lay against each other while the system's closed, making sure nothing can slip in there and mess up the screens.

The screens are what make the Lite amazing. They're the same size as the DS', but oh my gawd the brightness and clarity. Comparing the two side by side, the DS' screens look like they've been smeared with mud. It's just that much of a difference. There are four brightness settings (if you want to extend battery life), and all of them are brighter than the DS. You won't use them most of the time, though, because the default highest setting is too good for the other options to seem worthwhile unless you plan on using it non-stop all day away from an outlet.

And, as stupid as it sounds, games just PLAY better on the Lite. There's just so much vibrancy and life in them now with the new screen. The Lite made me play Metroid Prime Hunters again, as well as most of my GBA library, because it's just more fun with the extra pizazz from the screens.

I seriously recommend this system. If you never bought a DS the first time, find out what you've been missing the last two years, and if you own an original DS, sell it, and find out what you're missing now.

Smasandian
Hmm I'm also intrigued.

Is it comparable to the difference from GBA to GBA SP?

SaTsuJiN
You've gone absolutely crazy.... that said... I'll be checking it out soon.. eek!

BackFire
I traded in my old DS and my Gameboy advance SP and paid the difference, cost me $35 bucks. It's really nice, much more comfortable and the new screens are worth the money on their own, so bright and vibrant. Also the longer battery life, lighter weight, sleeker more aesthetically pleasing design and longer stylus, nicer, more responsive buttons and control pad are very welcome.

If you can do what I did, and get a decent deal by trading in old, obsolete systems, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, unless you're rolling in money, just stick with the old DS. The Lite is very nice, but not worth another $130.

Smas, yeah it's comparable to the upgrade of the GBA to the SP, but not quite as huge a leap. Comparable though.

MadMel
hmmi dont have a DS...and i dont think ill be getting until ive got the wii...so tell me...is it worth getting?

BackFire
In a heartbeat.

Scorpion_Master
Wow i think i must change my old DS to the new one! no expression

ninja

Lana
Makes me wish I could afford to buy it right now, I've been kinda wanting a DS and would rather get the Lite over the original stick out tongue

Jedi Shmedi
Hmmm, I might check this out as well...

InnerRise
I don't see myself wasting a christmas gift from somebody on a DS Lite when I already have a DS, yeah it's a nice little upgrade but it's not necessary. Afterall I never got a GBA SP and I was fine until the DS came out. So I'll just keep my DS until the next generation of Game Boy comes out. Maybe if it was cheaper I'd get somebody to get it for me for christmas, but that $130 definitely can be used in other more needed areas of present buying for me.

is it comprehensible.....

SnakeEyes
How much would one of these cost?

InnerRise
The price has been posted in here multiple times.

$130.

SnakeEyes
So it has... my mistake.

SaTsuJiN
I was wondering if DS Lite is more delicate, or just as durable as the original DS... cuz I mean I'm usually very careful, but I have my clumsy moments where I'm getting out of a car and forget its on my lap ; ;

InnerRise
Well you don't want that to happen with any electronic device.

I've been hearing that the Hinges for the DS Lite are fragile and make an audible click (that's not good they say) and that it breaks off.

I don't know first hand though b/c I've yet to get one.

General Kaliero
My Lite is still in awesome condition, and it's been dropped, stepped on, bumped around, tossed, and all kinds of crap. The hinge could be called a little flimsy, I suppose, but the only way I can see it actually breaking OFF is if it was open and stepped on.

SaTsuJiN
Hmm I was wondering if anyone here has this issue with DS Lite's D-pad

basically... everytime I try to perform a diagonal movement on the D-pad (while playing met prime hunts) my input is ignored until I apply extra force, which is followed by an audible click (or pop depending on your choice of words).. which ultimately hinders my gameplay (i.e. leaving me to be a sittin duck while I wrestle with simplistic control movements).

Any advice, or experience with this issue would be appreciated smile

General Kaliero
Hmm, I don't have that problem... did you spill anything on it?

On another note, wanna fight right now? wink

dirkdirden
I have an old one which I use for my M3 homebrew apps and stuff like that. Then I have 2 ds lites one for me and one for my wife. The lites rule

Kenshinswife
i'm kinda pissed off that i waited so long to get one i feel like i have missed on what could've been some of the most awesome gaming in my life two whole years but thanx to some very important info i recieved about the psp i scraped up some change sold one of my gamecubes three controllers and two memory cards ran to eb games and i picked up my brand new coral pink lite yesterday..and i swear i must be the happiest person in the world... it rules!! My collection is sooooo complete a wii and a ds lite...makes ya want to sing..i'll so be kicking wireless ass with my friends when the new crystal chronicles comes out.......now only if i can get some controllers for my wii i'll be singing dancing and running around in my nuddy pants 4 life rock

InnerRise
Originally posted by Kenshinswife
i'm kinda pissed off that i waited so long to get one i feel like i have missed on what could've been some of the most awesome gaming in my life two whole years but thanx to some very important info i recieved about the psp i scraped up some change sold one of my gamecubes three controllers and two memory cards ran to eb games and i picked up my brand new coral pink lite yesterday..and i swear i must be the happiest person in the world... it rules!! My collection is sooooo complete a wii and a ds lite...makes ya want to sing..i'll so be kicking wireless ass with my friends when the new crystal chronicles comes out.......now only if i can get some controllers for my wii i'll be singing dancing and running around in my nuddy pants 4 life rock The Nintendo DS Lite hasn't been out for 2 years. erm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

SaTsuJiN
I'm probably going to be getting a regular ds again, and give this one to my sister... ds lite is too small to game seriously with... especially met prime hunters where the primary fire is the L trigger and you gotta do all the movement with the D-pad

Kenshinswife
Originally posted by InnerRise
The Nintendo DS Lite hasn't been out for 2 years. erm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

my mistake...well how ever old it is embarrasment ..it still is time minus from my what could have been gaming experince

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.