Old Ben Kenobi vs Depa Billaba.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Razielim
Ole' lovable Jedi Obi-Wan versus Vaapad master Depa.

Captain REX
Kenobi's a very defensive fighter, but Depa's not as old, and probably a better fighter in this fight.

Razielim
Depa did manage to beat Mace, but Mace was emotionally stressed and kinda injured...

General Kon-El
I think Obi-Wan might pull a win 6/10. maybe. His force abilities are higher than Depa's; and theyre lightsaber abilities, not so sure.

Count Kent
Kenobi wins.

darthsith19
Originally posted by Razielim
Depa did manage to beat Mace, but Mace was emotionally stressed and kinda injured...
You talkin' bout when they fought in Shatterpoint? Cause when they fought that time Mace wasn't even fighting back, he said he couldn't bring himself to hurt the woman that used to be his Padawan.

As for Old Obi-Wan vs. Depa Billaba, that's a good question. Billaba uses Vaapad and, according to Mace, is 2nd best Jedi in the order with a lightsaber with him being #1 (personally I doubt this, she's got to be behind Yoda as well). But Kenobi's stronger with the Force. There's no way she'll be able to pull a Dooku on him and chuck him across a room. I actually see this going very much like Obi-Wan and Vader's duel in ROTS, except a bit slower and less intense. Kenobi plays the defense and if Depa f*cks up then Kenobi wins, otherwise he holds Depa off for a while but he gets tired before she does and then she wins.

So yeah, could go either way, IMHO. But I want to say Kenobi, so I guess I will, don't know why. I'll say Kenobi wins 6/10, just like General Kon-El said. smile

jollyjim311
Old Ben is better than ROTS Kenobi. He has the win.

Captain REX
Not necessarily, but I still think Kenobi takes this.

zephiel7
Kenobi has one thing going for him. He looks like Jesus.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by Captain REX
Not necessarily, but I still think Kenobi takes this.

Well it says it in te ANH novel, I mean, and it makes logical sense.

Council#13
I think that Depa wins. Kenobi's fighting style is very defensive, and so it might be hard for Depa's Vaapad to break through. However, Depa has the advantage of age and speed. Eventually, I think Depa will wear the elderly Jedi down.

Basically, I'm summerizing everything everyone who thinks Depa will win said.

Legion_of_Maul
i feel that this obiwan could possibly be on par with mace windu at this time... force wise, he would bring depa to her knees, and he has perfected soresu. however he is slower and depa billaba is is younger and more agile...

jollyjim311
Kenobi may be slower, but he still has incredible speed for someone of his age. He has a defensive style that uses minimal energy, while Depa's style is slow and powerful. Obi Wan's advantage in the force should hand him a sure win.

Count Kent
Old Ben is basically on par with Dooku.

Borbarad
Depa defeats him.

Did you people read Shatterpoint ? Yoda himself says that only Mace would be able to defeat Depa in a lightsaber fight. She's Mace best student and (with Mace and Anakin as exceptions) she was the youngest Jedi Council Member.

And please. ANH Obi-Wan wasn't able to beat Vader - at least this is what the ANH novel tells us. Even if he was able to do so. Mace was able to beat Sidious and Vader is just 80 % of that. If Depa is basically Mace's equal she should be able to defeat ANH Obi-Wan.

Razielim
About Depa being Mace's equal... I was under the impression that although Mace and her are on par with sabers, Mace was the greater force user. And when Depa beat Mace, Mace was plagued by injuries. He wasn't exactly in tip-top shape.

Now, I think Obi-Wan in RotS isn't too far off from Mace and Depa where sabers are concerned. If ANH Ben is superior to RotS Kenobi, I say he stands a fair chance. Still, Depa managed to overcome Mace, something I think Ben would be unable to do. I think she takes it more often than not.

kamikz
Originally posted by jollyjim311
Kenobi may be slower, but he still has incredible speed for someone of his age. He has a defensive style that uses minimal energy, while Depa's style is slow and powerful. Obi Wan's advantage in the force should hand him a sure win.

Um...I thought both Mace and Old Ben was in their 50's.

Count Kent
Mace - 53.
Ben - 57.
Depa - early 30s.

Anyhow just to clear a few things up, at the time of shatterpoint, the only jedi on Depa's level were Mace, Yoda and Luminara Unduli. However as of ROTS, both Anakin and Obi-Wan became stronger then Depa ever was. Depa would have become as strong as the likes of Dooku if she had reached full potential.

Razielim
No... Depa couldn't be that young. If she were in her 30s (Let's say 33), should would have been put on the Council at the age of 20 which is younger than Anakin's (then Mace's) youngest in history. She'd be in her early forties, most likely.

Count Kent
Well let's see. She joined the council at the age of 23, in 41 BBY. She died in 21 BBY. So yeah she was about 42, 43.

Borbarad
Originally posted by Count Kent
Well let's see. She joined the council at the age of 23, in 41 BBY. She died in 21 BBY. So yeah she was about 42, 43.

So she entered the Council as a true master nearly in the same age Anakin had (22) and was younger then Mace (28) when he entered the Council but somehow both Anakin and Obi-Wan (who entered the Council in his mid 30s) manage to surpass her in terms of force powers or force knowledge ? Sure...

Not to mention that she would still be able to outduel both of them.

kamikz
She could not have joined the council at the age of 22. Obi didn't only say that he was the youngest, he specificlly said, "at your age". So Depa must have been older than 22. Anything that contradict the movie is wrong.

Razielim
Yeah, I think there was a timeline error somewhere.

I'm going to skim through Shatterpoint and see where it is.

But I must keep in mind:

- Mace is 52 during the Clone Wars. At the very least, you have to be 10 years older than your apprentice.

- Let's assume Depa is 42, then. She was on the Council 12 years before, making her 30 years old during TPM. She could have been put on the Council at the age of 29-30, making her effectively appointed a bit older than Mace and far older than Anakin, which would make sense because Anakin is near her in power (if not more powerful) when she's at her peak and when Anakin's 22.

kamikz
That sounds about it. But remember, power is not why you are chosen to the council only....

Razielim
Well, power and wisdom. And Anakin in the latter category....

Count Kent
None of what I posted was true.

Count Kent
Jedi were chosen for their wisdom, strength or knowledge in the force, saber skills and other combat abilities, and military leadership.

Borbarad
None of what I posted was true.

What a big pile of...

It's nowhere stated when Mace did save her but it's stated that she was 6 months old at this time. Period.
Even if Mace was very young when he did this - he was the youngest Council Member ever until Anakin in ROTS. And we know that he became Council Member at the age of 28. There is no way Depa could have joined the Council earlier than the age of 28 meaning it's outright impossible that she was on the Council in 43 or 44 BBY since that would mean she was equally old compared to Mace (max 1 or 2 years younger) and I doubt that Mace did save her from a bunch of space-pirates when he was 1 or 2 years old.

Next time better learn how to read before doing research in your "library"...

Count Kent
All that info is valid and accurate.

Borbarad
All that info is valid and accurate.

In your own universe or what ? It's obviously wrong, dude.

Count Kent
Her being 6 months old was shortly cleared up as it didn't make sense.

Borbarad
Her being 6 months old was shortly cleared up as it didn't make sense.

Oh. It was ? Where ? Source name ? Page number ? Actual quote ?

Count Kent
I'll pm it to you tomorrow.

Borbarad
I'll pm it to you tomorrow.

I'm still waiting and post it here...

Borbarad
And I'm still waiting, Kent. Can't be that hard to find some backup for your claims after having done research at your "library"...

Or can it be that you just posted some serious BS as I said ?

Count Kent
Oh sorry, I forgot about this thread. It was stated in an interview and press conference.

Borbarad
Oh sorry, I forgot about this thread. It was stated in an interview and press conference.

You call that giving me a source ? Lmao. Who said this ? Where did the interview happen ? Why can't jack shit of this be found in the actual source material ?

Count Kent
I do not remember. However I know for sure so I consider the case closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.