My belief on life/afterlife etc. - A Mormon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
Some of my beliefs for what they are worth, comment as you will, it's all well and good.

I believe that life is a learning/proving ground.

I believe that God created spirits from a material we refer to as the "Light of Truth". The Light of Truth was not created or made, but always was. He then gave us the option of getting a body or not. Satan and his devils chose not.

He then created the Earth. Man was placed on it.

Man's purpose here:

1) Show that he'll do what has been commanded by God willingly
2) Learn how to express love in the charitable sense of the word.
3) Learn how to control the body so as to inhibit its drives if they are in conflict with God's commands
4) Learn parental concepts
5) Gain a physical form

Why?

Because, due to my religion, God is literally Man's father in respect to the Spirit as well as the "creation" of the physical form. This means that as any father would, God would like us to be the most that we can be. Also, like a father, he wants us to be like him. So following this life we, if we have proved ourselves capable of handling the responsibility by accomplishing the above purposes, are capable of being more than just Man in the sense that Man is now.

So. Afterlife for me.

Upon death the spirit enters either Paradise or Purgatory (a prison of sorts.) I believe that this is the heaven and hell refered to by many religions. Christ broke the bonds of purgatory and made it possible, if those in purgatory would accept him, to leave purgatory. I believe that those in heaven make attempts to convince those in purgatory to accept Christ. Following the coming of Christ at some point in our future paradise and purgatory expel the spirits as a literal resurrection occurs.

During this time a final judgement occurs as Satan and his devils are bound in some way, unable to exert any influence on man for a period of time that may be relative (Bible says one thousand years.) During this time man is able to have his freewill tested without unknown influences interfering. This will allow man to make decisions based on the level of control of his physical form he has and his capabilities for love (charity reference) as well as knowledge and understanding of the Gospel (which may or may not depend on understanding in this life, I don't know.) The results of this "Judgement" will result in the next portion of my beliefs

There are differing degrees of life at this point. We label three, but there is a statement that for every level of law there is an existence to match.

Telestial - A state very similar to life as we know it, only eternal.
Terestrial - A little more possibility than is available in the Telestial realm.
Celestial - High level of possibility.

Now in these realms there are varying degrees of possibility. We believe that being saved by grace refers to the ability granted to all to enter these realms and not have their spirits just disperse. We also believe in a literal resurrection, which occurs prior to entering these realms.

There is also what is called Outer Darkness, hell for those that use the term. This is reserved for Satan and the aforementioned devils. It is very difficult to achieve this realm. To achieve it a man would have to have absolute knowledge of God and deny him, as such there are a relatively small number of people that go here.

These are my views. I am a Mormon, all the same these are my interpretation of what I believe as a Mormon and not necessarily official doctrine. If you have questions I will answer them, but if it is an attack I may simply ignore you because I don't care about your comment.

Ritoshi
Answer these please

Originally posted by Ritoshi
Question if you go..Hey God eek! If I do this then you do this eek! as a deal and if I fail to do this then you could make what I wanted go horribily wrong...then 5 days later you don't do it no expression so is something going to go wrong now evil face ... I am afraid cry

Ok, what was that religion site that answers everything ? I say we debate with them shifty It was questions something, ahh I forget.

Anyway on a side note, is the only way to be forgiven for a sin or w/e you want to call it, is to confess it in a church with strangers no expression so they have something to talk about with friends ?

So tell me how else you can be forgiven without doing this shifty What ever religion you are, just say it in that view

Oh, and breathing is a sin

Also how can thoughts be a sin when you grow up in todays world and have stuff all around you ? It is not like you can stay in a corner to protect yourself.

Thanks eek!

debbiejo
Love to all human kind along with our earth and all it's gifts is the ultimate THANK YOU...........

Justbyfaith
Hi Regret,

Do you believe the Bible and the Book of Mormon are both inspired by God's Holy Spirit?

Do you believe it is impossible for God to lie?

Just curious... wink

debbiejo
Yet the devil is deceiving as an angel of light........so who's to say who you are following?

Justbyfaith
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yet the devil is deceiving as an angel of light........so who's to say who you are following?

People who work at a bank and have handled money for some time are fast to identify a counterfeit. Those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior are also guided by His Holy Spirit who is not capable of deception. We are deceived by our own lusts and by the devil as you already stated above.

Ritoshi
Originally posted by Justbyfaith
People who work at a bank and have handled money for some time are fast to identify a counterfeit. Those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior are also guided by His Holy Spirit who is not capable of deception. We are deceived by our own lusts and by the devil as you already stated above.

I say you start a thread on Just ask faith evil face and I will flood you with God questions so you could help people out eek! evil face

Regret
I don't know. There is a thread on why not all prayers are answered. I wouldn't know if your prayer would be one that would be answered or not. I view God as a loving father, hence the term Eternal Father. Given this, how would a good loving father treat the situation? God is supposed to be perfect, so he'd behave in a more good and loving manner than most good loving fathers would. There are always consequences for our actions. My kids do similar things with me, I assume God deals with this on a much more grand scale than I do.

Dunno who they were. I figure if you believe that your religion isn't the only way to go, and that a number of them would work just fine, you should choose the most demanding one. That way you will be saved by its standards which cover the standards of the other ones, just in case it's te right one and the others don't really work.

The steps of repentance according to my beliefs:

1) Recognition. Admittance. Admit to yourself that it was a sin. If something that you have done bothers you, and you believe it to be a sin, do not excuse yourself in any way for it. Don't try to hide it.
2) Feel Sorrow for the sin. You must feel that the sin was wrong. A term used is "humble with a broken heart and contrite spirit."
3) Forsake the sin. No longer do that act.
4) Confession. Personal confession directly to the Lord in prayer is required. Confession to those we have wronged in the sin is required. In my religion sins that have the possibility of great impact on others must be confessed to the proper religious leader (This includes sexual sins.)
5) Restitution. As possible make right whatever wrong we have done. e.g. a thief would give back what was stolen. A liar should make the truth known. A gossip who slandered another would work to restore the good name of the person harmed.
6) We must forgive others. We must forgive those that have sinned against us.
7) We must maintain the lifestyle we believe proper given our beliefs.

Who says?

Thoughts as sins. Do you entertain them or do you push them away? If you think that a thought is a sin and think the thought and dwell on it, then you are sinning in your thoughts. God knows you. And like I said, I believe he is good and loving.

As stated before:

These are my views. I am a Mormon, all the same these are my interpretation of what I believe as a Mormon and not necessarily official doctrine. If you have questions I will answer them, but if it is an attack I may simply ignore you because I don't care about your comment.

Regret
Originally posted by debbiejo
Love to all human kind along with our earth and all it's gifts is the ultimate THANK YOU...........

A portion of my beliefs wink

Regret
Hi Regret,
Do you believe the Bible and the Book of Mormon are both inspired by God's Holy Spirit?

Yes, for my exact stance refer to our Eigth Article of Faith:

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

Do you believe it is impossible for God to lie?

No.

Just curious... wink

Ritoshi
Originally posted by Regret
I don't know. There is a thread on why not all prayers are answered. I wouldn't know if your prayer would be one that would be answered or not. I view God as a loving father, hence the term Eternal Father. Given this, how would a good loving father treat the situation? God is supposed to be perfect, so he'd behave in a more good and loving manner than most good loving fathers would. There are always consequences for our actions. My kids do similar things with me, I assume God deals with this on a much more grand scale than I do.

Dunno who they were. I figure if you believe that your religion isn't the only way to go, and that a number of them would work just fine, you should choose the most demanding one. That way you will be saved by its standards which cover the standards of the other ones, just in case it's te right one and the others don't really work.

The steps of repentance according to my beliefs:

1) Recognition. Admittance. Admit to yourself that it was a sin. If something that you have done bothers you, and you believe it to be a sin, do not excuse yourself in any way for it. Don't try to hide it.
2) Feel Sorrow for the sin. You must feel that the sin was wrong. A term used is "humble with a broken heart and contrite spirit."
3) Forsake the sin. No longer do that act.
4) Confession. Personal confession directly to the Lord in prayer is required. Confession to those we have wronged in the sin is required. In my religion sins that have the possibility of great impact on others must be confessed to the proper religious leader (This includes sexual sins.)
5) Restitution. As possible make right whatever wrong we have done. e.g. a thief would give back what was stolen. A liar should make the truth known. A gossip who slandered another would work to restore the good name of the person harmed.
6) We must forgive others. We must forgive those that have sinned against us.
7) We must maintain the lifestyle we believe proper given our beliefs.

Who says?

Thoughts as sins. Do you entertain them or do you push them away? If you think that a thought is a sin and think the thought and dwell on it, then you are sinning in your thoughts. God knows you. And like I said, I believe he is good and loving.

As stated before:

Thanks

But oh man, I am going to hell laughing To many things are a sin now adays and you can't even aviod anything because it is everywhere..It is hard to stop things if thats the way you grew up..heck Movies and Video games are a sin if it has violence in it no expression

Bah, Telling some guy you never met before your sins no expression not cool and not knowing what they will do with it...Humans are Humanas so even priests will laugh at your sins and have a smoke to it. Ever watch the news on preists gone nad no expression So you can't trust nobody!!!

Regret

Ritoshi

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

No. So God lies to us ? or it is possible but he doesn't do it sad

Regret
So God lies to us ? or it is possible but he doesn't do it sad

We believe that God could lie. We believe he does not, and will not, lie, that by doing so he would contradict himself and cease to be God.

Regret
Thanks

But oh man, I am going to hell laughing To many things are a sin now adays and you can't even aviod anything because it is everywhere..It is hard to stop things if thats the way you grew up..heck Movies and Video games are a sin if it has violence in it no expression

In my belief system you don't go to hell, just someplace like this life or better. You couldn't do enough to make it to hell wink

Bah, Telling some guy you never met before your sins no expression not cool and not knowing what they will do with it...Humans are Humanas so even priests will laugh at your sins and have a smoke to it. Ever watch the news on preists gone nad no expression So you can't trust nobody!!!

I figure maybe that's part of the punishment for the sin. Besides if he does he is in need of repentance. Also, if you've admitted it and repented who cares what he does?

Arachnoidfreak
Lucifer is a mistranslation from the Bible and Purgatory is a lie made up by the Catholic Church to make money.

Regret
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
Lucifer is a mistranslation from the Bible and Purgatory is a lie made up by the Catholic Church to make money.

Please do not respond to this type of post in this thread, it is not within the topic I am pursuing.

Justbyfaith
I say you start a thread on Just ask faith evil face and I will flood you with God questions so you could help people out eek! evil face

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ritoshi
How about a Kid thats been traiend to believe one religion from birth...How is God punishing that person when it is not that persons fault on how they were raised ?

Also what was the point of flooding the earth ? You give a person free will then you flood the earth because they didn't chose the right side ?

Ritoshi
roll eyes (sarcastic) I was serious sad no joke was intended no expression

Regret
How about a Kid thats been traiend to believe one religion from birth...How is God punishing that person when it is not that persons fault on how they were raised ?

He isn't. Why would that person be punished. Did anything I said state they would be?

Ritoshi
One more question for now. Umm, if one person is bad but you are good, would you be sperated from your loveones after death no expression because what sort of happiness is that.

Arachnoidfreak
Please do not respond to this type of post in this thread, it is not within the topic I am pursuing.

What's wrong with it? They are facts. What's your problem with them?

Justbyfaith

No.

Hi Regret,

I asked you if you believe it is impossible for God to lie. You said, No.

You said you believe the Bible to be the word of God. Well, this is what the word of God says about God lying.

"...in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began."

Titus 1:2

God is not a man that He should lie...

Numbers 23:19

...that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie...

Hebrews 6:18

Regret
Also what was the point of flooding the earth ? You give a person free will then you flood the earth because they didn't chose the right side ?

If children had no chance of growing up without sin, it seems that it was a choice. Allow people a better chance or make them live in a state that forced heavy contact with sin. We believe that the entire earth was covered with people of the worst sort, the majority had chosen to sin heavily. There was no place to escape it. Maybe that's what causes the end of the world described in the Bible, are people evil enough yet to justify similar action?

Arachnoidfreak
uhhh so you're basically reenforcing what he said? Or are you trying to debate his belief? because you arent doing a good job.

Regret
One more question for now. Umm, if one person is bad but you are good, would you be sperated from your loveones after death no expression because what sort of happiness is that.

During the Purgatory Paradise phase, perhaps. Following that, you will be able to contact your loved ones. If one person is bad but you are good, would you be required to live in hell (just using it as an example) no expression because what sort of happiness is that.

Ritoshi
During the Purgatory Paradise phase, perhaps. Following that, you will be able to contact your loved ones. If one person is bad but you are good, would you be required to live in hell (just using it as an example) no expression because what sort of happiness is that. So you could contact your love ones burning in hell for eternity no expression while you are in heaven ?

Regret
Hi Regret,

I asked you if you believe it is impossible for God to lie. You said, No.

You said you believe the Bible to be the word of God. Well, this is what the word of God says about God lying.

"...in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began."

Titus 1:2

God is not a man that He should lie...

Numbers 23:19

...that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie...

Hebrews 6:18

It is impossible in the fact that if he did he would cease to be God, can God cease to be God? No. If God lied he would not be God, thus God did not lie. Are you saying God cannot do anything? I believe that the Bible states that God can do anything, nothing is beyond him.

Regret
So you could contact your love ones burning in hell for eternity no expression while you are in heaven ?

I don't believe people will be in that type of place. They just aren't capable of doing the things you would be able to, and reside in a different place that reflects what they are able to do.

Regret
uhhh so you're basically reenforcing what he said? Or are you trying to debate his belief? because you arent doing a good job.

If you are refering to the flood question. Yes, I figure he wasn't necessarily wrong.

Justbyfaith

Answer: Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was greived in His heart. So the Lord said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord."

Genesis 6:5-8

Arachnoidfreak
What JustbyFaith means is "Yea, they burned because they used their free will"

Regret
What JustbyFaith means is "Yea, they burned because they used their free will"

Free will doesn't stop consequences from happening. Freedom doesn't mean you get to do everything without care of consequence. Also, they didn't burn, they drowned wink

Justbyfaith
It is impossible in the fact that if he did he would cease to be God, can God cease to be God? No. If God lied he would not be God, thus God did not lie. Are you saying God cannot do anything? I believe that the Bible states that God can do anything, nothing is beyond him.

This is a serious contradiction! The bible says it is "Impossible" for God to lie. Simply put...it can't happen, never will happen. It is not in His nature nor capacity as God to lie. He can't. Lying IS beyond Him. That's what the bible says. cool

Justbyfaith
During the Purgatory Paradise phase...

Where's that described in the bible?

Regret

Justbyfaith
Ok, I will concede. I looked up Hebrews 6:18

I do believe my previous comments were sufficient though, we were debating Bible doctrine, not my beliefs as a Mormon.

I too will also admit if I made an error. I appreciate your confession and most certainly will not hold it against you. smile

Regret

Justbyfaith
Much of the rest my reference is found in the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and the writings of our leaders.

It is this reality above that makes me have to part ways. I cannot focus on God's Word and several other additional writings that are not included in the Scriptures. I have enjoyed our gentle debate and truly will make an effort to put out your name in my prayers Regret.

Thank You,

Justbyfaith

Regret
I am taking off for a few hours. If you would like me to respond, expect it no sooner than 3 hours from the time of this post. Please, if comments are made on this thread keep them in line with my stated intent, do not respond to posts that are not in keeping with my intent for the topic of this thread.

Justbyfaith
quote: (post)
Much of the rest my reference is found in the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and the writings of our leaders.

quote:

It is this reality above that makes me have to part ways. I cannot focus on God's Word and several other additional writings that are not included in the Scriptures. I have enjoyed our gentle debate and truly will make an effort to put out your name in my prayers Regret.

Thank You,

Justbyfaith

Regret

Thank You,

Justbyfaith

I appreciate your comments. I have enjoyed it as well, and will do the same.

Ritoshi
Is playing Video games and watching movies a sin..eek(Violent games and movies)

Regret
Is playing Video games and watching movies a sin..eek(Violent games and movies)

I'll try this on my PDA

No, we do not officially believe that it is. Although we are told that it is unwise to watch movies with an "R" rating. If a game or movie makes a sin to appear good, it is probably a sin to watch it.

Alliance
YOu could find and construe biblical passages to mean almost anyything.

Arachnoidfreak
I'll try this on my PDA

No, we do not officially believe that it is. Although we are told that it is unwise to watch movies with an "R" rating. If a game or movie makes a sin to appear good, it is probably a sin to watch it.

Holy shit, you can't even watch R movies?

Thank **** I'm not Christian. Damn you guys ban all of the good stuff.

Regret
Holy shit, you can't even watch R movies?

Thank **** I'm not Christian. Damn you guys ban all of the good stuff.

I'm not the greatest Mormon. I figure if I don't make it to the best place, I'll just be content with wherever I end up. Worst place I can end up by Mormon views is the life I'm in now, it isn't that bad. Although I'd be stuck with a bunch of people that said, "Thank **** I'm not Christian. Damn you guys ban all of the good stuff." And they'd probably be all upset they ended up where they were wink

Woot, real keyboard and screen is nice after the mobile.

Regret
Originally posted by Alliance
YOu could find and construe biblical passages to mean almost anyything.

Many things are that way wink

Arachnoidfreak
Ended up where they really were? Winky face? Explain. Because I'm pretty content being a sinful bastard.

Alliance
Many things are that way wink

Not like relgion. And no. You want to provide examples?

Regret
Ended up where they really were? Winky face? Explain. Because I'm pretty content being a sinful bastard.

If my beliefs are correct, and you have the possibility of becoming like God, I do not believe many people that didn't believe what I do will be content with not making it there, some will be, but I doubt many will be. I believe that some people will end up in a place like the life we live in now, others will be in places that will be better, some better to an unimaginable degree.

Regret
Originally posted by Alliance
Not like relgion. And no. You want to provide examples?

I am speaking about religious beliefs. I don't really feel like leaving my topic to go outside religions to show examples elsewhere.

Arachnoidfreak
If my beliefs are correct, and you have the possibility of becoming like God, I do not believe many people that didn't believe what I do will be content with not making it there, some will be, but I doubt many will be. I believe that some people will end up in a place like the life we live in now, others will be in places that will be better, some better to an unimaginable degree.

Playing video games and getting laid for eternity is good enough for me. Besides, if your beliefs are wrong, you're screwed. What if my belief of a giant carnivorous mutant peanut that eats souls is correct? Then you're screwed.

So let's not compare 'ifs' and live in the now.

Regret
Playing video games and getting laid for eternity is good enough for me. Besides, if your beliefs are wrong, you're screwed. What if my belief of a giant carnivorous mutant peanut that eats souls is correct? Then you're screwed.

So let's not compare 'ifs' and live in the now.

I must apologize to you, but my intent is to explain my belief. I did not start this thread to defend it against what you believe. If you want to do that create a thread where it is the topic and subject. I will willingly respond on a thread of that type, but it is not why I created this one.

Be that as it may, it's possible I'm screwed. I figure it's like life, back the plan you like the possible result of. So far the Mormon beliefs have a better possible afterlife than the rest do. If it isn't right maybe I will be in hell, but that's all good, if I end up in a hell worse than this life, it's possible I wouldn't like God anyway wink

Arachnoidfreak
Threads are for debating opinions, not just preaching to people and not wanting them to respond. If you're going to post a belief, be prepared to defend it.

Regret
Threads are for debating opinions, not just preaching to people and not wanting them to respond. If you're going to post a belief, be prepared to defend it.

I created this one to answer questions about my belief. Not to debate it. I stated that, and I think it is sufficient to keep the thread going as long as I want it to. Also, I could not find a statement about the KMC forums that said all threads were for debate.

Also, I am not trying to preach, I just want a thread where I can answer questions about my religion without worrying about being off topic to do so. Given this, it is difficult to answer questions when the next post is always a statement of disbelief in what I have stated. I like debate, but it doesn't fit my intent for this thread.

Alliance

The point of the forum is not you. The point is discussion.

Arachnoidfreak
Hmm, if that was pointed at me, Im not sure you got my post.

Alliance
laughing No. It was supposed to be pointed at Regret. I agree with you. Sorry stick out tongue

docb77
Joke: A man once told a mormon that he was going to hell.

The mormon responded, "I know, but I'd rather know I was going to hell than not know where the hell I'm going."

Regret
Originally posted by docb77
Joke: A man once told a mormon that he was going to hell.

The mormon responded, "I know, but I'd rather know I was going to hell than not know where the hell I'm going."
laughing out loud

Alliance
So mormons like to have a clear sense of direction?

Regret
pretty much wink

Alliance
ah...

Regulus A Black
Ok, I'm assuming this comment is on unanswered prayers. My personal belief is that there is no such thing as an unanswered prayer. My belief there are three answers to all prayers.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Whatever you choose

Then also I'm going to comment on the idea, saying Hey God, If I do this, then you do this for me, and if I don't do my part then you could make what I wanted go horriblily wrong. First off, I'd just like to state we can make promises with God, but it's usually him telling us what we need to do and what we get for doing it, not us saying what we will do for what we will want.

Yes I believe it is possible, but doesn't always work they way we want it too. Most of the time, in my opinion, what people call unanswered prayers. Are when they get an answer they don't want, they ignore and say it was unanswered. I think we need to just trust in God more, he knows what is best for all of us.

oh, and Regret, you got another person to answer questions, at least for another couple months, I should get my mission call in a week. I'll also help answer questions about my belief as a mormon, and so far I agree with everything that Regret has said concerning our religion.

One last thing.

Story: A man who was holding a shotgun in a mormon's face once told him to deny his religion or die.

The mormon simply said, I will not deny God or any truth from the Mormon religion, shoot and be damned

The man pulled the trigger and nothing happened

Again the man said: Deny your beliefs

The mormon again replied: shoot and be damned

Again the man pulled the trigger and nothing happened

The man once more said: Deny your belif or die

The mormon again replied: shoot and be damned

The man pulled the trigger one last time the gun back fired and the man fell over dead.

Regret
Thanks Regulus. Sometimes my views are speculative, so if I state something that is off feel free to make it known. Some of my statements take some reference from the Journal of Discourses, some is also based in my personal study and how I personally think things might be, I try to seperate my opinion from doctrine though.

Congratrs on the call! Hopefully you can be bothering Alliance soon wink

Alliance
Somone mentioned my name?

Regret
Figure Regulus can bother you as he does the preaching thing wink

Alliance
oh laughing

Regulus A Black
maybe who knows though

Alliance
some people know...I am not one of them

BlackC@
I believe there is no heaven or hell. I believe that when we die, we are shown our life in the blink of an eye, then we weigh up the good and the bad, then WE judge OURSELVES. Once we have done this, we cross over to the Netherworld. This is just a place of rest until we are reborn. Some choose not to cross over just yet, and remain on Earth for awhile until they are ready to cross over.

Alliance
sounds like a cross between Greek Paganism and Riverworld

docb77
I don't think I'd be a very objective judge when it came to my own life. trade?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.