The Hills Have Eyes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILoveMyDaniel
Alright, I know all of you have seen the ad at the top of KMC flashing about the upcoming release of The Hills Have Eyes! June 20th, for those who haven't! Whose going to buy it? Happy Dance

C-Dic
Not me. I watched it yesterday and thought it was as bad, if not worse, than the original. People are trying to make some sort of social commentary out of it when all it is are some genetically deformed cannibals in the middle of nowhere. There were some unnecessarily gruesome and disturbign scenes that were actually pretty tasteless and probably used to make up for the lack of anything of true interest.

Wolfie
I'll be picking it up. I rather enjoyed it. It's no High Tension but I thought it was a step up from the original.

hellsangels
i will be, trailer looks good.. found this little gem on it too www.unratedtrailer.co.uk

Suleyman
I loved it. Aja's a great director (though I still like High Tension better), and the extra gore will be nice. Definitely picking this one up.

MildPossession
I will be buying it to put next to my Haute Tension.

C-Dic
Sorry to interject again, but where's the rewatch value in this? The first 50 minutes, seriously, nothing happens. Aja resorted to cheap jump scares, which is a shame for someone who had the support of so many people before this. The remainder is just unnecessarily debotched, right down to the graphic rape scenes which have been done before, just not as tasteless, perhaps.

But, to each their own, I suppose. I'll leave a copy for you guys to let collect dust on your shelves.

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by Wolfie
I'll be picking it up. I rather enjoyed it. It's no High Tension but I thought it was a step up from the original.
thumb up
Originally posted by Suleyman
I loved it. Aja's a great director (though I still like High Tension better), and the extra gore will be nice. Definitely picking this one up.
thumb up
Originally posted by MildPossession
I will be buying it to put next to my Haute Tension.
thumb up

Good choice, people!

C-Dic
Raping a nursing mother. Even better choice? Seriously. The movie was grossly tasteless, and nothing can disprove that.

WrathfulDwarf
I'm picking up a copy this tuesday. I doubt there will be a SE somewhere in the future. So I'll settle for this unrated edition.

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by C-Dic
Raping a nursing mother. Even better choice? Seriously. The movie was grossly tasteless, and nothing can disprove that.
You must not've seen it then considering they didn't even rape her, they raped the other girl. eek!
Go watch it instead of getting information on it from your friends, you opinion might be different from theirs.
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I'm picking up a copy this tuesday. I doubt there will be a SE somewhere in the future. So I'll settle for this unrated edition.
I want the unrated edition too.

Suleyman
No. Cannibal Holocaust is grossly tasteless; THHE is just good, clean fun for the whole family. smile

Deano
i enjoyed the movie alot. i'll be picking up a copy

Impediment
I liked it, but didn't LOVE it, per se. I might buy the DVD.

Deano
you better! or i;ll hammer ya!

Solo
No. Cannibal Holocaust is grossly tasteless; THHE is just good, clean fun for the whole family. smile
When I went to the theater to see this, a woman brought her like seven year old boys. Quite strange, actually.

ILoveMyDaniel
Truthfully this thread has received a lot better comments than I thought it would; not trying to insult the movie. I'm glad for it though. smile

C-Dic
Originally posted by ILoveMyDaniel
You must not've seen it then considering they didn't even rape her, they raped the other girl. eek!
Go watch it instead of getting information on it from your friends, you opinion might be different from theirs.

I watched the DVD Wednesday night, at my house, by myself, and the mother WAS raped, because the camera was clearly focused on the one guy, sucking on her breast as she sat there and cried. A lingering shot of a lactating, new mom, being violated.

I don't cite reasons for the sake of knocking a movie. I know what I saw, and forced oral sex is as much rape as penentration. They both got raped, and it effected me on a personal level.

hellsangels
comes out 26th june in uk

ILoveMyDaniel
I watched the DVD Wednesday night, at my house, by myself, and the mother WAS raped, because the camera was clearly focused on the one guy, sucking on her breast as she sat there and cried. A lingering shot of a lactating, new mom, being violated.

I don't cite reasons for the sake of knocking a movie. I know what I saw, and forced oral sex is as much rape as penentration. They both got raped, and it effected me on a personal level.
Violation of a womans' parts is clearly different from rape. Sexual ASSAULT, maybe, but not rape.
And if that gave an effect on you, well, that's weird.

Solo
I hated the movie. Not because of any sexual assault, rape, or whatever. But because it was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and it shouldn't have been.

Everything was just plain rotten. Also, Aja's direction, cinematography, and editing were all horrible.

Aja just didn't do well.

gabrella1991
hi everyone that is in here

Suleyman
Originally posted by C-Dic I don't cite reasons for the sake of knocking a movie. I know what I saw, and forced oral sex is as much rape as penentration. They both got raped, and it effected me on a personal level.
Stay far, far away from Irreversible then... stick out tongue

And if the film disturbed you so much, didn't Aja accomplish his goal?

C-Dic
It didn't disturb me. It offended me, and that's hard to do when you're a fan of trash cinema. There are limits. Raping new mothers is where I draw the line.

BackFire
A horror movies job is to find these limits, and then purposely cross them.

Also, a rape scene should be as tasteless and disgusting as possible. As so not to trivialize the act, which, in and of itself, is disgusting and tasteless.

C-Dic
What's the point when a characters depravity has already been established? He crossed the line, IMO, and it's just incredibly disrespectful to throw something like that in a "horror" movie that's in national release.

Apparently, rape has never been a personal issue with these directors, otherwise, they'd know how personally devistating it can be.

Suleyman
Originally posted by C-Dic Apparently, rape has never been a personal issue with these directors, otherwise, they'd know how personally devistating it can be.
And murder isn't personally devastating? You have no problem with the countless gruesome deaths in the film, but you think the "rape" crossed the line?

I don't get that.

Deano
true.

just keep telling yaself 'its only a movie, its only a movie' stick out tongue

Impediment
The more depraved, disturbing, shocking, vulgar, blasphemous/sacreligious, and/or gory the movie is.....................the better I like it. Call me one-sided, but I like violence and disturbing shit like that in a horror film. But all that alone can't make for a good horror flick. But it sure does make it fun!

BackFire
What's the point when a characters depravity has already been established? He crossed the line, IMO, and it's just incredibly disrespectful to throw something like that in a "horror" movie that's in national release.

Apparently, rape has never been a personal issue with these directors, otherwise, they'd know how personally devistating it can be.

It's these types of feelings that make rape such a valid action in horror films. It's one of the most horrifying and terrible acts imaginable, along with murder, thus it belongs in horror films, along with murder.

As was pointed out, murder can be just as personal, if not more so, to people who have experienced it first hand. This doesn't mean that murder shouldn't be shown in a horror film, right? You can't expect these directors to just throw out every event that would offend or upset someone, on the contrary, as horror film makers its their job to upset the audience, hence the name of the genre - Horror.

I believe that the more unnerving, upsetting, ugly and unsettling the acts in a horror movie are, the more respectful the horror movie is being to the victims of those acts. Sugar coating the acts, using convenient cuts or fades to 'spare' the audience the full impact of those acts is far more disrespectful to the true horror and pain those actions have caused people in real life. Violence is ugly, it's not fun or inticing, and it should be portraid as ugly in films, especially in horror films.

What's a worse offense, a rape scene that is sickening and depraved, or one that is standable and suger coated? I'd say the sugar coated one.

Wolfie
Word, BF!

C-Dic
A scene of implied rape would have been more effective and less offensive because you can draw your own conclusion, but to follow through with the act, IMO, is tasteless, and what's even more disturbing is that you guys can sit and try and justify a teenage girl and mother being raped on screen as ****ing entertainment.

Who's place is it to do what here? It's pretentious as hell for Hollywood to assume that that's what people want to see. Personally, I saw those acts in this movie as a mask for a boring, simplistic plot. A needless remake of an already overrated Horror film. That's my unbiased opinion, not a bashing tirade. Same goes for the first 55 minutes of jump scares. Just a load of shitty typical horror elements to keep people interested so that they could delve into some depravity in lieu of anything palpable, and then stick you with lookalikes of Chunk and the blob from "Blade" with bad dialogue.

I didn't want to ask this, but if/when your girlfriends or mothers are violated at the hands of a stranger, will you hope it makes its way into a movie? Will you just say "that's life"? I'm not going to participate in this thread anymore after this, guys. We're obviously not going to ever see eye to eye, I don't respect or understand any of your reasoning, and that's probably because multiple rape has never been an issue in your life.

People don't see movies to be upset, they go to be entertained or enlightened. People know murder is ugly. People know rape is devistating, They need horror movies to remind them? They need director's to tell them how depraved rapists are? Director's assume THEY know how soul-crushing those acts can be?

That's not how I roll. Rape wasn't a necessary plot device, and especially not twice. Those people were merely trying to survive, and that's all they needed.

Suleyman
You've said that you're not going to respond, which makes this an exercise in futility, but here goes...

Who's place is it to do what here? It's pretentious as hell for Hollywood to assume that that's what people want to see.

I think it's reasonable for Hollywood to assume that people going to see an R-rated film (so rated for "strong gruesome violence and terror throughout"wink are prepared to deal with, well, strong gruesome violence. Evidently they're right, judging from the box office results of THHE.

Originally posted by C-Dic I didn't want to ask this, but if/when your girlfriends or mothers are violated at the hands of a stranger, will you hope it makes its way into a movie? Will you just say "that's life"?.

Of course not. I may avoid films that depict acts of rape, but I certainly wouldn't deem a film worthless because of it. (All hypothetical, of course, as there's no way of knowing until it actually happens). My problem with your position is that you seem to want to censor all cinematic rape due to its offensiveness.

I reiterate my previous question: is murder somehow not offensive? Showing murder on screen could be upsetting and disturbing to the families of murder victims, so should depictions of murder be banned?

Originally posted by C-Dic People don't see movies to be upset, they go to be entertained or enlightened. People know murder is ugly.

Because you know what the entire moviegoing public wants roll eyes (sarcastic). Being upset, scared, disturbed, offended, etc. is the entire point of watching horror films.

ILoveMyDaniel
It didn't disturb me. It offended me, and that's hard to do when you're a fan of trash cinema. There are limits. Raping new mothers is where I draw the line.
Why get offended by something that was completely UNREAL? I mean, I'd understand it if it were on the news or something.
Originally posted by Impediment
The more depraved, disturbing, shocking, vulgar, blasphemous/sacreligious, and/or gory the movie is.....................the better I like it. Call me one-sided, but I like violence and disturbing shit like that in a horror film. But all that alone can't make for a good horror flick. But it sure does make it fun!
So do I. I'm one of the few women that actually do around here. Women get grossed out easily whereas I sit back and say "That...was...AWESOME!"

Solo
Why even keep arguing with Cine anyways guys? He obviously has some personal issues around the subject at hand. So drop it.

Let's stay on topic.

C-Dic
You've said that you're not going to respond, which makes this an exercise in futility, but here goes...

..but I am, just to answer rebuttals. I lost my long reply since my computer crashed, so here's the short and sweet. I don't know what people want to see when they go to the movies, but it's not the rape of a lactating mother, considering how many mothers come to be today because of rape in the first place, and abortion being a hot topic issue. It's as insensitive as it comes when pertaining to movie making. We're jaded to murder because it's all around us. You don't see new mothers and teenage girls being anally raped on television.

So, I've gathered that rape is awesome, people like to be offended by movies, and sexually violating young mothers is alright with movie goers.

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be part of these forums.

BackFire
Horror movies aren't about what people want to see, it's about what people don't want to see but what they can't ignore. Despite your opinions, the goal of every real horror movie is to upset and unnerve, whether it be through murder or rape, both are in the same boat.

No, you don't see mothers and teenage girls being anally raped on TV, but you sure do hear about it every night on the news. Rape is all around us, just as murder is. It's naive to think filmmakers aren't going to comment on that particular act just because it's immensely ugly.

You say the rape wasn't a necessary plot device. Maybe. It was used to increase the villainy of the mutants and make us hate them more and enjoy seeing them get what they had coming.

C-Dic
Sorry, I thought that driving a pick axe in someones head, gutting a dog, eating it, burning someone alive, blowing a hole in a mother's stomach, and ass-raping a teen girl solidified their title.

Guess not.

Seriously.............

BackFire
So no violence should be shown in films, right? Since every act of violence is going to offend someone somewhere and hit someone too close to home. Of course not.

I dunno why you're ashamed to be a part of these forums. Nothing shameful about people looking at something objectively and honestly.

Suleyman
We're jaded to murder because it's all around us.
Screw the people who have lost loved ones to murder. We're jaded, so it's alright to show people getting roasted alive, shot in the face, hacked to pieces. But for God's sake don't show any sexual violence, because that crosses the line.

So, I've gathered that rape is awesome, people like to be offended by movies, and sexually violating young mothers is alright with movie goers.
"Rape is awesome"? Where the hell did you get that? And yes, people go to horror films because they see horrible, scary things in them that aren't represented in other genres. Are you honestly disputing that? If no one could handle being challenged or offended, everyone would just turn their brains off and watch Big Momma's House 2.

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be part of these forums.
So am I, given that I share it with a guy who likes insinuating that people who disagree with his cinematic morality support rape.

C-Dic
Originally posted by BackFire
So no violence should be shown in films, right? Since every act of violence is going to offend someone somewhere and hit someone too close to home. Of course not.

I dunno why you're ashamed to be a part of these forums. Nothing shameful about people looking at something objectively and honestly.

There's making a POINT, and then there's making a STATEMENT. Aja made a point, then obliterated it by oversupporting his cause, as cited by me in the last post.

The shame comes in associating with people who will gladly justify graphic rape in movies because it gets across points that are already established, and think nothing of it, the people its affected, the consequences, or the opinion/fact that it's used unabashedly, just to soldify a characters already obvious disposition.

Rape/revenge movies make a point. This was just smut for entertainment sake.

C-Dic
Screw the people who have lost loved ones to murder. We're jaded, so it's alright to show people getting roasted alive, shot in the face, hacked to pieces. But for God's sake don't show any sexual violence, because that crosses the line.

"Rape is awesome"? Where the hell did you get that? And yes, people go to horror films because they see horrible, scary things in them that aren't represented in other genres. Are you honestly disputing that? If no one could handle being challenged or offended, everyone would just turn their brains off and watch Big Momma's House 2.

So am I, given that I share it with a guy who likes insinuating that people who disagree with his cinematic morality support rape.

Sexual domination and rape is MUCH more personal an act that murder ever could be. If you think that SHOWING a little girl or mother being raped is "necessary" to get across an already obvious point, I think you're out of touch in some respects, yes.

As for where I got that someone thinks rape is awesome..well..

Originally posted by ILoveMyDaniel

I'm one of the few women that actually do around here. Women get grossed out easily whereas I sit back and say "That...was...AWESOME!"

I'm through with you guys. Sorry you couldn't understand my views.

BackFire
There's making a POINT, and then there's making a STATEMENT. Aja made a point, then obliterated it by oversupporting his cause, as cited by me in the last post.

The shame comes in associating with people who will gladly justify graphic rape in movies because it gets across points that are already established, and think nothing of it, the people its affected, the consequences, or the opinion/fact that it's used unabashedly, just to soldify a characters already obvious disposition.

Rape/revenge movies make a point. This was just smut for entertainment sake.

The point is already established, but the scene fleshes it out more and creates more tension and hatred, thus making it MORE established. When the hippy guy goes and kills the mutants it's far more satisfying because these mutants are rapists AND murderers.

I justify any freedom of expression when it comes to films, this includes rape. I don't think there should be any censorship or taboos in film, artists should be free to show and portray what they want. If you aren't comfortable with specific acts, that's why ratings are there. The rape scene was being talked about quite a bit back when the movie was originall released, you should have known there was a rape scene in it and simply stayed away from it since you want no part of such scenes. Personal responsibility needs to come into play here.

And how would you know that rape is more personal than murder? You think if someones mother is murdered that it's easier to endure for her loved ones than if she was raped? Come on.

I understand your views, C-Dic, as do others, we just don't agree that rape should be cut off from film anymore than murder should. Sine they're both as affecting and offensive to those who have suffered through them in real life. It's you who don't understand us.

Deano
i have to agree there.

Emma718
wow, this is a deep conversation we have going here. I for one did want to see this film at the movies but i didn't get around to it, so i am hoping to hire/buy it on dvd.

Could someone please explain to me the differances between the versions of the film on dvd??

Wolfie
Someone at the video store was talking about how she doesn't want the rated version 'cause it's too fake or something like that. She was talking about it in disgust. It shut her up when I told her the unrated version is a minute longer.

Emma718
a minute longer?? is it meant to be more gruesome or somthing lol??

gosh by the sounds of it that lady was a bit stuck up

Wolfie
With pretty much all of the unrated DVDs coming out, they just add a few minutes to the movie so they can honestly call it "unrated". The original 107 min version was rated R by the MPAA. Add a minute to it and it's a completely new movie that the MPAA hasn't rated. Slap "unrated" on it and it sells more DVDs because it looks uncensored.

Emma718
interesting...does the unrated version come with different extra's?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.