Americanized foriegn movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BakaXero
what are your thoughts?

i just recently saw a trailer called the lake house and relised it's a remake of the Korean Movie Il Marie. i don't know if it's gonna be good but i was annoyed when i heard about them making "my sassy girl" both of thhese a movies with Jeon Ji Hyun
as the main actress.

i don;t know about you but if the movie was great and the Amerivenise and it turns out crap. I'll be pissed no expression

TOH
Well, I've read somewhere that they are going to remake Battle Royale (japanese movie) I don't really understand why... erm

MildPossession
New Line are trying to buy the rights to Battle Royale, or they have already.

I went into Ill Mare in the Lakehouse topic in General forum.

They are remaking A Tale Of Two Sister also, a bunch of other foreign films that DO NOT need a remake.

BakaXero
reasons why i believe that many foriegn movie shouldn't be remade is because what was so great about the originals were the personalities of the characters brought to life by the original actors can not be recreated and sometime that's what brought the movies it's original success.

jeffer_wrote
i am against it. take IL MARE's LAKE HOUSE, for instance, i found it too.........."Hollywood-ized". It did not have any of the charm of the original. it simply did not live up to IL MARE.

BATTLE ROYALE??????????????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is so going to turn into a teen-flick. Who's gonna star in it? The likes of Paris Hilton a la House of Wax? jaysus!

Kryzula
They are remaking Oldboy. =/
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Paola
What's the name of the japanese version of The Ring? btw, btw...

Gregory
Ringu. As for remaking foreign movies, whine whine whine. The Magnificent Seven was an American remake of Seven Samurai, and it was prety damn well-received. So was The Ring, for that matter. And The Birdcage.

jaden101
in general they dont do it very well

diabolique, city of angels, unfaithful, swept away, the vanishing,

although 12 monkeys was a cool remake of la jette and vanilla sky was a reasonable effort at open your eyes

it can be masterful when its done the other way..."the beat that my heart skipped" is a superb french version of "fingers" starring harvey keitel

BakaXero
Originally posted by Gregory
Ringu. As for remaking foreign movies, whine whine whine. The Magnificent Seven was an American remake of Seven Samurai, and it was prety damn well-received. So was The Ring, for that matter. And The Birdcage.
The Ring sucked all together.

and this just in... Lakehouse is nothing compared to the original no expression

Gregory
The Ring was about as good as Ringu. Better, in some respects. And no, I'm not "pissed" about the Lake House. Why the hell would anyone be pissed because someone botched a remake? Just don't watch the damn thing.

BakaXero
I never said the original was good. no expression
no one said anything about you being pissed about a movie erm
man, i have no idea what comments you're replying to.
people get pissed off about stuffed up remakes, cause the orignal was good and they have destroyed some of it's original value by making a crap version. no expression

Gregory
How?

BakaXero
no expression
Perfectly good movies do no need to be remade. Usually when a movie is remade it shoould be at least an improvement on the original. Remaking a great movie just for the purpose of americanising it is stupid. It lacks many of the original values of character and atmoshere that have been created by the Actors and scenary. You can not duplicate the persona that the original actors gave it. The mood of the original is another thing that can not be replicated. There is no way you can tell me that you fell the same about any Movie from their original to their American counterpart.

Gregory
Originally posted by BakaXero
There is no way you can tell me that you fell the same about any Movie from their original to their American counterpart.

As a matter of fact, I just mentioned a remake that I thought matched the original. If you didn't like either version, it's not my problem.

Solo
Originally posted by jaden101
in general they dont do it very well

diabolique, city of angels, unfaithful, swept away, the vanishing,

although 12 monkeys was a cool remake of la jette and vanilla sky was a reasonable effort at open your eyes

it can be masterful when its done the other way..."the beat that my heart skipped" is a superb french version of "fingers" starring harvey keitel

I wouldn't even come close to saying 12 Monkeys is a remake of La Jetee. The writer said it was 12 Monkeys was based off of some key elements from the film. But obviously it didn't steal any characters, conflicts, the whole premise is moderately different.

MildPossession
Yeah both are very different, both good too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.