Omega Level Mutants-enough or more?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RisingStorm
Hey guys, with all this Omega level mutants taking the spotlights, does it make you feel sick or do you hunger for more of them? In my opinion, sometimes, vast power and potential doesn't always equate to a great storyline, and besides, they kinda overshadow the other mutants.

I mean sure, Phoenix was fun, and the other omegas like Iceman and Elixir leave you guessing with their potential and it's all fun, but you know, I sometimes feel that some great stories can also be molded from other reasons and causes other than power play.

And I guess some omega mutants are just ridiculous if you think about it. I mean, Hyperstorm and Mister M are basically gods. I long for the days where the old X-Men kick asses as a team, but now basically some of them can practically annihilate the universe in a blink of an eye; which sometimes is cool, but all this power upgrades, how do you put this, is already kinda bores me to death. I know that powerful villains and all can formulate a great story but I just don't want the real and ORIGINAL X-Men/mutant characters (Cyclops, Storm, Gambit, Rogue, Xavier, Havok, Polaris, Wolfsbane, Siryn, etc) to be shoved back from the spotlight. I mean, some of these mutants can develop more and all and I just you know, would want to see them shine more than a new character introduced every other series.

Just my opinion though. cool

Shalimar_fox
i see were your coming from. all these level 5 mutants is become to much.in that case why not call them god men.it was more fun to see the x-men try.now it's like if they look at you blow up.yea some of the omega mutants but don't make alot of them.

The Pict
there should be less omega mutants around. some of their powers are pretty limitless, like Mr.M for instance. he could destroy the world if he wanted and i don't understand the need for a character like that.

Loot

The Pict
defining omega level mutants is hard. there should be 2 classes for them. one group for the likes of iceman, and another for Mr. M, jean grey etc.

eternitygoddess
There should be wayyy less. I mean come on, this is suppose to be an ELITE group. It can't be elite when you have some 10 mutants already.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by eternitygoddess
There should be wayyy less. I mean come on, this is suppose to be an ELITE group. It can't be elite when you have some 10 mutants already.

Out of thousands of mutants? I'm sorry but 9 out of a thousand is still an "elite" group.

And don't say "oh, but there's only 198 mutants left..." because they were Omega level before Wanda had her tantrum.

Loot

Shalimar_fox
if see caused 90% of the world mutants to lose their powers she's more than an omega mutant she's an god

Loot

Shalimar_fox
she wasn't with type of power she can do almost anything

Darth Macabre

RisingStorm
I think Wanda is not an omega level mutant. I think a lot of the effects of her powers are from her chaos magic, not directly towards her mutant powers, so they just kinda meshed together, I guess. Nevertheless, she can be a powerful alpha if her mutant powers acted alone on all the reality warping thing, but if she had help with her witch side, then maybe she's just the same one from the Avengers series. Although she could be included with the other powerful alphas such as Magneto, Xavier, and Storm. Powerful as they can be, they still have limits, I just want them to be really powerful BUT with limits. That's all.

Although it's fascinating to see some OMEGA mutants, but you know, sometimes, when they are on your team, it's like all things are anti-climactic.

xmarksthespot
Hyperstorm isn't an Omega. If I recall Wanda's powers are no longer defined as chaos magic... she simply has incredibly powerful reality altering abilities. Her powers set her far and above the likes of Xavier, Magneto and Storm and imo she is more powerful and has more potential for expansion of her abilities than some Omegas like Iceman and Elixir but nonetheless mutants are not Omegas unless they are specifically stated as so.

Thus far they're limited to:
Elixir (New Mutants v2, New X-Men: Academy X)
Iceman and Phoenix (X-Men: Forever)
Mr M and Franklin Richards (198 Files)
Vulcan (X-Men Deadly Genesis)
Kid Omega (New X-Men, Phoenix: Endsong)

Nimrod referred to Rachel using the phrase "Omega Level" way back in Uncanny but it didn't really mean the same thing back then the concept is fairly recent - so I don't really think it's valid.

There's already a really long thread discussing the Omega mutants:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327723&perpage=20&highlight=omega&pagenumber=1

RisingStorm
Anyone who can alter reality in an enormous scale should be set higher anyway. I think her potential is just showing.

Really? Hyperstorm isn't an omega? I mean he's the son of two omegas, and his powers are practically powerful, I'm surprised he's not.

xmarksthespot
He was around before the Omega concept came about.

botcherby
Originally posted by RisingStorm
I think Wanda is not an omega level mutant. I think a lot of the effects of her powers are from her chaos magic, not directly towards her mutant powers, so they just kinda meshed together, I guess. Nevertheless, she can be a powerful alpha if her mutant powers acted alone on all the reality warping thing, but if she had help with her witch side, then maybe she's just the same one from the Avengers series. Although she could be included with the other powerful alphas such as Magneto, Xavier, and Storm. Powerful as they can be, they still have limits, I just want them to be really powerful BUT with limits. That's all.

Although it's fascinating to see some OMEGA mutants, but you know, sometimes, when they are on your team, it's like all things are anti-climactic.

Theres no such thing as Chaos magic... it doesn't exist... did you not reaed Avengers Disassembled??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draco69
I've also had enough of Omega mutants. It's the X-Men against the world that fears and despises them. They're struggling to survive and keep the peace.

That all goes out the window when half your team can nuke a planet....

They should depower alot of characters.

The Pict
Originally posted by Draco69

They should depower alot of characters.

i was glad when alot of mutants lost their powers on M-Day. there were too many mutants around who were powerful enough to take out an army.

Cosmic Flame
I've never understood what the big issue is with omega mutants. They're powerful, so what? So is Thor, Surfer, Supes, etc. There are quite a few characters, good and bad, that can cause damage on a global scale, yet I don't see a call for those characters to be killed off or depowered, certainly not from JLA fans.

And considering the number of "official" omega mutants, only one has wreaked havoc on a global scale. So what's the problem? Single celled organisms can develop into beings that can travel to the far reaches of the universe, but humanity itself shouldn't evolve further? I could see if all these omega mutants were causing tons upon tons of damage to the earth, but they're not.

And being ridiculously powerful doesn't change the fact that they're feared and hated. It underscores that hatred, if anything. Remember the reactions after Onslaught and HCT, not to mention House of M? Their struggle doesn't end because they have more power than other people. That's why the struggle began in the first place.

I really don't get it.

Draco69
Because they don't have a challenge. They're not meant to be the JLA or the Avengers or second to the TOAA for that matter.

They're people with powers in a world that fears and hates them. And can KILL them. There's no sense of conflict now. Sabretooth? Phoenix. Apoc? Iceman. Sentinels? Polaris.

Mutants should be powerful but not JLA-powerful. It's not fun to read Psylocke flying around with the power to destroy mountains. We want to see Psylocke kicking ass as ninja or wearing armour with the butterfly effect. NOT fighting cosmic battles with a reality-warper....

The suspense is gone. The feeling of tension is gone. Back then, we saw the X-Men struggling against their enemies and winning through sheer teamwork and leadership. They're supposed to be a team. Not a group of heralds. It takes away from what it is to be a mutant: a freak with extra ordinary powers. Not a freak with the power to rewrite creation. That's no fun.

I want the feeling that the X-Men really are struggling against humanity AND that Sentinels are an actual threat AND that their enemies aren't mere hinderances to their awesome might.

Which is why Uncanny X-Men is so unreadable while Astonishing X-Men is. UXM has the friggin Phoenix-junior on it. AXM has several powerful members but they can still lose. We want to see them lose sometimes..cause when they win it'll be much sweeter.

The X-Men aren't the JLA. The JLA were written to be an unstoppable beacon of justice. The X-Men are a ragtag group of muties just trying to survive and get through the next day....NOT blowing up continents with a plasma beam....

roll eyes (sarcastic)

RisingStorm
Exactly. What you said.smile

botcherby
yea although Iceman is all powerful, he has never used it right... thats why iceman can still work in a team book..

however its annoying where at some points he has grown up and realised some of his potential, but for it to be not followed upon later...

Iceman needs to go solo, its the only way Iceman can continue to be a contributing character to the marvel universe...

... hes the ultimate fireman

Omega-level
Well, i am the most qualified person to say it (big grin), and i agree there are too much Omegas now. The mutants and the characters of the Marvel Universe in general are getting too powerful. What's the fun of a team with 3 or 4 people who are a match to Galactus or Onslaught?

Kaos sebaceous
i think there should be few omega mutants because of there was more they wouldent really have any challenges

magnuslives
Originally posted by RisingStorm

it's actually been hinted that storm IS an omega- have you seen what abilities she has!

RisingStorm
Originally posted by magnuslives
it's actually been hinted that storm IS an omega- have you seen what abilities she has!

It's only hinted. Nothing special with that. I think her and Magneto are the alpha mutants that will never be made to Omega by the Marvel team. Including Xavier too. And perhaps Wanda.

ExodusCloak
I couldn't be bothered if more Omega's turn up..it doesn't mean that every single one of them will be powerful...because half of them won't realize their potential...so they can keep adding people if they want to....just as long as they leave my Emma alone..

And I disagree with the post at the top of this page....the mutants are on the verge of extinction..how do you think the ones who aren't omega feel...there is a sense of shock and horror...rememeber New X-Men...even more died...

I think the problem with X-Men and UXM is the bad writing...however since they shuffled around the teams...and started balancing them out...it's starting to get better..

Polaris got depowered.....Psylocke got moved to Exiles...Marvel Girls skill as a telepath is poor....Iceman still hasn't realized his potential...Mystique and Sabes keep things interesting...Rogue is becoming cooler by the moment...Cable seems burnt out..Emma gets taken out in style...so it's working IMO

chirostorm
With Omega's, the story needs to be more about the character and less about the power. I just wanted to add some in-site about Storm. In an alternate future, Storm transforms into a pure energy elemental being. The future was revealed to the Xmen by Apocalypse (Xmen Jan. 2000). It suggests Storm is an Omega level mutant. However, I think that her moral struggle keeps her grounded. Storm's story is more about the struggles of the character than the actual power, in which, I believe the Omega's need.

jdea
The writers say Storm is borderline Omega, but realize with their other omega's that once they reach that level they will have a limited amount of growth further on, and since fans love growth they're going to cut back on omegas now... I personally think it's a great choice, because who'd read a comic full of mutants who can all decimate planets and the basic storyline would always revolve around loosing control as no villain would be able to stand up to them

Tyler Dayspring
I think they are fun to some degree depending upon the writer and the personality. Unfortunately, when it's an omega-level bad guy, they usually have to kill them by the story's end. I liked Stryfe and Legion but it's tough to (Or at least seemed it to) keep psychos like that alive afterward without constantly sticking them in a coma.

Genosha
If you're looking for a great comic where you're heros aren't all powerful and infalible, I highly recommed Exiles, and so far New Exiles.

And Runaways is great.

I'm still undecided about New Excalibur. I like the team, but the issues have seemed a little choppy and fallen a little flat. I think they might have ended too. Not sure.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.