Street Levellers Vs. Cosmics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
Two part question:

First, which do YOU prefer? Stories about those who are Cosmic Level? God-like? Skyfathers?

Or

Street level every day guys.

The second part; is there any street leveller who could have a chance against a cosmic? And, for this question, let us expand our 'street level' definition. Pretty much anyone that is below Cosmic level, most of the earth heros.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head would be Batman with preparation, Reed with preparation, Doom with preparation, and the Hulk, assuming that his opponent didn't have super speed or matter rearrangement capabilities (While most of them do stick out tongue).

Oh! And Wolverine. His Jobber aura makes him beat out people like Lobo and Thanos.

But those were just examples, I'm sure there are a million more.

confused confused confused

Cosmic Cube
Anything beyond Herald/GL level is excessive in my opinion.

The DC and Marvel cosmic hierarchies are confusing and stupid.

Soljer
Indeed; it is my opinion that when it starts becomming hard to think up new challenges (without severly debilitating the character), it makes for boring stories. But then again, most Herald/GL level characters do that, as well, are constantly debilitated. How often do you wish the Surfer would have just speed blitzed someone? or the flash? Heh.

Maybe even herald level is excessive.

But the hierarchies are indeed a bit too extensive.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by Soljer
Indeed; it is my opinion that when it starts becomming hard to think up new challenges (without severly debilitating the character), it makes for boring stories. But then again, most Herald/GL level characters do that, as well, are constantly debilitated. How often do you wish the Surfer would have just speed blitzed someone? or the flash? Heh.

Maybe even herald level is excessive.

But the hierarchies are indeed a bit too extensive. Agreed.

bigbran
Originally posted by Cosmic Cube
Agreed.
agreed, whos the strongest street level,hulk? coudnt do any thing to surfer.

Mordum
I love cosmic battles or anything involving cosmics. It really tickles my fancy.

AS for street level people taking on cosmics you pretty much covered it. Oh lets not forget everyone's favorite/hated hero superman. That guy takes on people 10000x his power and he still wins.

Soljer
Originally posted by Mordum
I love cosmic battles or anything involving cosmics. It really tickles my fancy.

AS for street level people taking on cosmics you pretty much covered it. Oh lets not forget everyone's favorite/hated hero superman. That guy takes on people 10000x his power and he still wins.

True, he sometimes beats people he shouldn't, but I wouldn't call him street level, not nearly. He is definitely herald level.

Blair Wind
My favorite stories? I like the Gods (ie Greek, Norse), Gl stories....but at heart I like me the Nightwing, Batman, daredevil type street characters

batdude123
Originally posted by bigbran
agreed, whos the strongest street level,hulk? coudnt do any thing to surfer.

Hulk isn't a street-leveler. What the f**k?

bigbran
True, he sometimes beats people he shouldn't, but I wouldn't call him street level, not nearly. He is definitely herald level.
sometimes???!?!?!!!!?!?!??!?!?!??!?imperiex,darkseid,doomsday,asmoldel....the list goes on and on.

newjak86
I don't know I think Herald level fights can be good because they aren't that strong when thinking of the higher ups. I also feel that though whole cosmic entites have gotten out of control I mean when you have 30 Cosmic beings that can end the universe 1000X overs it gets a little boring. I always felt that there should be few if any actual cosmic beings.

About which is better Street level or Herald I think it just depends on what you want. Street Level fights are genreally up close and personal while Cosmic fights are often greater in scope and alot more important to the scheme of things.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by newjak86
I don't know I think Herald level fights can be good because they aren't that strong when thinking of the higher ups. I also feel that though whole cosmic entites have gotten out of control I mean when you have 30 Cosmic beings that can end the universe 1000X overs it gets a little boring. I always felt that there should be few if any actual cosmic beings.

About which is better Street level or Herald I think it just depends on what you want. Street Level fights are genreally up close and personal while Cosmic fights are often greater in scope and alot more important to the scheme of things. I couldn't agree more.

Validus
I prefer herald level fights. Something about seeing godlike beings lighting up the sky makes me smile.

Soljer
Oh, and iceman. Although he is an omega-level mutant, he can take some cosmics.

Oh, and batdude, for this thread in particular, I kind of expanded the definition of "Street level" to pretty much 'Anything that isn't nearly omnipotent.'

batdude123
Oh, and iceman. Although he is an omega-level mutant, he can take some cosmics.

Oh, and batdude, for this thread in particular, I kind of expanded the definition of "Street level" to pretty much 'Anything that isn't nearly omnipotent.'

Well, I like Avengers, GL, Superman, Batman, JLA, X-Men, Spider-man, etc.... so I guess I like both.

Draco69
Herald-level is my limit.

I'm not a fan of "I can blow up more galaxies than you can!" cosmics....

batdude123
Originally posted by Draco69
Herald-level is my limit.

I'm not a fan of "I can blow up more galaxies than you can!" cosmics....

But you like Lucifer comics. confused

Draco69
Originally posted by batdude123
But you like Lucifer comics. confused

Eh. Not really. I like his personality though. He inspired Rucka's Ares after all. I also like the themes of the comic.

batdude123
Interesting....

brainchild81
More power = less interesting more often than not.

Darth_Erebus
I like herald level characters and higher. I findstories about super cosmics interesting. Street levelers are boring.

Dinalfos
I don't actually mind extremely powerful or versatile characters, it's just that balance is needed. Nobody(except Superman-fans) likes an omnipotent hero with only a few minor(and arguably tacked on) weaknesses.

UniOmni
Powerful people can be written well. Its a fallacy that most think different. Look at Ostranders Spectre. You don't get much more powerful than him, but it was well done.
The key imo, is to show what they can do, but let their foes be something that stumps them. Like Superman would be lost if he had to deal with someone that can't be handled physically. Not because they were too far up the chain to hurt, but they simply were unaffected on ALL levels by brutes. And not some cheap, my soul is pure so i win manuever. Writers need to put more effort into their writing, rather than making it predictable.
And character development is always a good flipside to battles.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.