I just saw Superman Returns (spoilers)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

superkronick92
I loved this movie, if you ask me, it was one of the best comic book movies I have ever seen. Although I had my doubts(kate bosworth and the new costume), this movie really came through.

here come slight spoilers so if you don't want to be spoiled, back away while you still can.

I was worried at first when I heared that supes almost dies twice in the film, both scenes are done incredibly tastefully. I won't spoil this but I liked the way they handled lois's son. BRANDON ROUTH IS SUPERMAN, BRANDON ROUTH IS CLARK KENT. any questions

Avalonofthewind
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20060619/115077382000.html

New Superman movie dazzles critics in first reviews
Monday June 19 8:23 PM ET

"Superman Returns," which opens in the United States next week, is receiving knock-out first reviews from critics, with newcomer Brandon Routh tipped to win over audiences as the latest crime-fighting "Man of Steel."

Hollywood's two trade newspapers, Daily Variety and Hollywood Reporter, gave the movie strong reviews, with The Reporter describing it as "a heartfelt Superman movie that plays to a broad audience thanks to an emotionally troubled Man of Steel."

Daily Variety critic Todd McCarthy said director Bryan Singer had imprinted the Warner Bros. movie with its own personality. "'Superman Returns' is never self-consciously hip, ironic, post-modern or camp. To the contrary, it's quite sincere, with an artistic elegance," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Routh won praise for his apparent effortlessness -- with his resemblance to Superman predecessor, the late Christopher Reeve, not going unnoticed.

The movie's plot has Superman returning to Earth following a mysterious absence of several years. Back home, an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all while the superhero's great love, Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), has moved on -- or has she?

Newsweek said Singer, who left the popular "X-Men" franchise to make "Superman Returns," did the right thing from the start of "this gorgeously crafted epic" by showing respect for the most foursquare comic superheroes of them all.

The magazine added that "Routh may or may not be a real actor, but he effortlessly lays claim to the iconic role, just as Reeve did. Indeed, he virtually duplicates Reeve in the way he plays Kent as a diffident, awkward Midwestern colt."

"Next to Singer's champagne, most recent superhero adventure movies are barely sparkling cider."

Time magazine said Singer and writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris had revived and revised the story's premise. "The result is an action adventure that's as thrilling for what it means as for what is shows," Time said.

The film is Superman's first big-screen appearance since the 1987 movie "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" starring Reeve.

Warner Bros. is a unit of Time Warner Inc

redcaped
You work in a theater? I asked my loco theater and they told me tickets will be on sale the 26th. One more week and I'll be in the skies!

superkronick92
Originally posted by redcaped
You work in a theater? I asked my loco theater and they told me tickets will be on sale the 26th. One more week and I'll be in the skies!

actually I got an invite from a friend who works at warner bros for an advance screening at a Burbank AMC. funny story actually, the movie started at 2:00, I assumed their would be a big line so I got there at 10:00, no one showed up for 3 hours. One the good side I made friends with the host of the TV show on mtv called the G Hole

Validus
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/?show=all

Nice reviews so far. The poster on the left is awesome. jockey

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by redcaped

www.fandango.com

I bought mine for the imax theater a couple of days ago.

3D! eek!

redcaped
I saw Spy Kids 3D the one when Stallone shows up and it wasn't what I expected...I mean the 3D effects. Besides, there is no imax around here. My nearest theater is good enough, it has huge screens with new designed auditoriums.

BlaxicanTroller
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
www.fandango.com

I bought mine for the imax theater a couple of days ago.

3D! eek!

Lol, I just saw the midnight showing of it at The Metreon in Imax 3d. It's frigan awsome.

redcaped
I have 5:07pm here and I'm experiencing tensing hours all the way to my show at 7:00pm today. Ready with my logo shirt and ticket. After the movie I won't be back here for a while.

nuwine200419
ok im really sorry but........that movie kinda sucked......look im one of the biggest superman fans ever...i mean i love the guy....but c'mon they killed the movie....it had verryy little action.....it didnt even follow the comics....SPOILERS AHEADD ....

and superman having a kid....wtheck is up with that....and where was the villian....lex trying to create a new continent....ok...whocares....i atleast wanted to see superman beat him up or somethin....did we get that ....noooo we didnt.....did we even get a fight scene at the end....(the scene that almost all the comic book movies have) no...we didnt even get that......i hope the second one fixes all these faults......but other than that...the movie was ok with the very few action scenes....they looked so realistic...etc......i recommend that u go and watch the movie..just because it is superman....but in the end it did dissapoint me....

Joseph_Kerr
Since SR takes place 5 years after Superman II, the kid was conceived probably the night Superman was without his powers and spent the night with Lois (if I recall correctly).

nuwine200419
then if he was without his powers.....y does the kid have special abilities....

Thorinn
because superman is an alien, and could pass on his genetic genes. no expression

C-Dic
Originally posted by Joseph_Kerr
Since SR takes place 5 years after Superman II, the kid was conceived probably the night Superman was without his powers and spent the night with Lois (if I recall correctly).

The timeline is another huge flaw in this movie. This is supposedly taking place between Superman 2 and 3? There was only a 3 year difference between the movies, and the newspapers in "returns" read 2005, and there's modern technology abound, i.e. the kid with the camera cell phone. Not only that, but with Supe's accelerated aging, he'd be mid 30's by now, like Reeve was.

Flawed. Flawed. Flawed.

SupezM'
They are picking up where 2 left off, they are acting like 3 and 4 never happened since they were crap movies.

Draco69
Originally posted by C-Dic
The timeline is another huge flaw in this movie. This is supposedly taking place between Superman 2 and 3? There was only a 3 year difference between the movies, and the newspapers in "returns" read 2005, and there's modern technology abound, i.e. the kid with the camera cell phone. Not only that, but with Supe's accelerated aging, he'd be mid 30's by now, like Reeve was.

Flawed. Flawed. Flawed.

Who...cares? GASP. You're right! An old man with a saggy gut should have played Superman. I would have chosen Sean Connery.

Nitpicking at it's finest.

ST0RM SHAD0W
Comics are that way too. I don't think its a big deal.

Mindship
Okay, saw 'Superman Returns,' and very quickly I will share my review.

First of all, the '78 movie was still the better movie, though not by much, mainly because it moved more quickly, was more tightly done. And Chris Reeve also did a better job. I also didn't like the kid element...just plain unnecessary. And worst part: Kate Bosworth as LL. She just didn't have the screen presence.

Okay, things I liked.
Routhe did a much better job than I thought he ever would: he pulled it off (even if Superman should've been older). Even the costume kinda worked better than I thought. Kevin Spacey made a good Lex (though of all Lex portrayals, I think Michael Rosenbaum of 'Smallville' may be The definite Lex Luthor).
I liked the nods here n there to the '78 film, but mostly...the f/x were Out Of This World! The '78 film's tagline was "You'll believe a man can fly." Well, I believe it now.

3/4 stars.

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by BlaxicanTroller
Lol, I just saw the midnight showing of it at The Metreon in Imax 3d. It's frigan awsome.

Agreed. That was the first time I actually sat in the imax part of that theater. I'll be doing it again when possible. The fx are incredible.

SpyCspider
ok one question. Please excuse cuz I was drunk watching this.

Can someone please explain to me the beginning when a planet blows up and we see another starship land at the Kent's farm and out pops full-grown naked Clark? What was that all about? I thought he went to visit Krypton and realized it wasn't there. Why did he come back in a starship again?

Tron
Originally posted by SpyCspider
ok one question. Please excuse cuz I was drunk watching this.

Can someone please explain to me the beginning when a planet blows up and we see another starship land at the Kent's farm and out pops full-grown naked Clark? What was that all about? I thought he went to visit Krypton and realized it wasn't there. Why did he come back in a starship again?

Probably because he left in a starship.no expression

And he wasn't naked.

SpyCspider
Oh, it was the same starship that brought him to earth when he was a kid? I thought Superman can fly to distant planets...guess not in this movie.

And I thought when Ma Kent was holding him, he didnt' have his outfit on.

snoopdogg
I'm pretty sure he could have flown to Krypton but it's in a solar system with a red sun. So he had to take his ship.

Did anybody catch the part where the news reporter said Supes has to be moving at the speed of light? He was saving people all over the world at roughly seconds apart.

roughrider
Is there a red sun, though? It blew up and destroyed Krypton, remember.
I think taking the ship means two things - (1) It's an acknowledgement that he can't survive for too long a time in space; certainly not the years it may take to reach the largest collection of Krypton debris; (2) It's for protection. Because shouldn't it all be Kryptonite now? He would need shielding.
He likely put himself to sleep for the journey.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by roughrider
Is there a red sun, though? It blew up and destroyed Krypton, remember.
I think taking the ship means two things - (1) It's an acknowledgement that he can't survive for too long a time in space; certainly not the years it may take to reach the largest collection of Krypton debris; (2) It's for protection. Because shouldn't it all be Kryptonite now? He would need shielding.
He likely put himself to sleep for the journey. I don't think it's that he cannot survive in space. It may have to do with the K-nite or the red sun system. But you mentioned that the Sun blew up. I did't catch that in the movie. Is it true?

roughrider
Originally posted by snoopdogg
I don't think it's that he cannot survive in space. It may have to do with the K-nite or the red sun system. But you mentioned that the Sun blew up. I did't catch that in the movie. Is it true?

Maybe that explosion was just Krypton - I'll look again.
I know he can survive in space - just not for as long as the journey could take, is all I'm saying.

NPC
I don't think it's that he cannot survive in space. It may have to do with the K-nite or the red sun system. But you mentioned that the Sun blew up. I did't catch that in the movie. Is it true?

That was the opening sequence the red sun goes supernova . . .

sexyking
snoopdogg I know your a fan of supes and here in the UK the film hasnt been released but what did you think of the film?

snoopdogg
Originally posted by sexyking
snoopdogg I know your a fan of supes and here in the UK the film hasnt been released but what did you think of the film? I liked it. It's pretty much what I expected from a Superman movie.

Skeets
My only beef was that the best action was when supes was getting stomped on by Lex..........laughing

Avalonofthewind
I liked it. It's pretty much what I expected from a Superman movie.

Agreed. It was a fun movie. Surprisingly, I've heard a lot of people that don't like Supes all that much ended up enjoying the movie.

snoopdogg
I thought it was impressive he lifted that massive K-nite based island into space. Even with a piece of the k-nite knife stuck into his back! It was one of the better comic movies that I have seen so far.

SnakeEyes
I liked the film quite a bit, but I was just a bit disappointed that there wasn't really any sort of fight scene in the movie. I was expecting Supes to face off against Lex and have a really cool/epic battle. Didn't happen.

And Lois... didn't care for her too much.

sexyking
I thought it was impressive he lifted that massive K-nite based island into space. Even with a piece of the k-nite knife stuck into his back! It was one of the better comic movies that I have seen so far.

What did you think of the kid been supes do you like the fact that supes now has a kid?

snoopdogg
Originally posted by sexyking
What did you think of the kid been supes do you like the fact that supes now has a kid? I actually didn't like that part of the movie. But it's a movie and they have to switch things up a bit to keep it fresh.

So I'm fine with it.(Atleast it's his and not the other guys.)

Superboy Prime
What I dislike about the kid is that it doesn't make Superman unique anymore IMO. Now another person has powers like his and without kyrptonite weakness(From what I could tell). However it does humanize Superman in my point of view. Making him a father...having a son born of a human female. Now he has someplace to belong...he is one of us.

I wonder how the kid plot will echo in the comics.

redcaped
After the movies reading a comic is just silly. They had their time. What they should do now is reprint gold & silver age and stop wasting paper on things others ignore.

Superboy Prime
I can honestly say that I disagree 100% with you.

roughrider
They are not going to stop making comics. That's a pointless argument.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by superkronick92
I loved this movie, if you ask me, it was one of the best comic book movies I have ever seen. Although I had my doubts(kate bosworth and the new costume), this movie really came through.

here come slight spoilers so if you don't want to be spoiled, back away while you still can.

I was worried at first when I heared that supes almost dies twice in the film, both scenes are done incredibly tastefully. I won't spoil this but I liked the way they handled lois's son. BRANDON ROUTH IS SUPERMAN, BRANDON ROUTH IS CLARK KENT. any questions

Here's a question. Did you watch the same movie I did?

calvinNhobbes
Okay I already posted my thoughts of how bad this movie is on other thread. So Here is a question. Why is it that Supes is affected by the krptonite so badly that Lex can knock him around one second but the next second he can lift the entire island? It is just inconsistent. I know it is only a movie but the krptonite should have made him too weak to lift all that weight. the only thing is that this is the major point in the movie. At least in the older movies you were given a clue or an explanation to how he wins. Ie. tricks the bad guy. Here he is not really tricking or outsmarting anyone. Supeman can think faster than a computer, wouldn't he have prepared himself for an encounter with Lex being that he knew about the museum theft. Just a thought too point out further how much this movie sucks.

Superboy Prime
Thing is it is meant to showcase Superman's will and determination to save humanity. His will was so strong that it managed to carry him through and overcome his weakness for the sake of humanity. He became the epitome of a hero by pushing himself beyond his limits in order to do what was right for mankind; far ignoring his own body and illness. That is why once he got rid of the mass of kryptonie he inmediately fell back to earth and ended up in a coma. Besides he did take sunlight in before going back to Luthor's state.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Thing is it is meant to showcase Superman's will and determination to save humanity. His will was so strong that it managed to carry him through and overcome his weakness for the sake of humanity. He became the epitome of a hero by pushing himself beyond his limits in order to do what was right for mankind; far ignoring his own body and illness. That is why once he got rid of the mass of kryptonie he inmediately fell back to earth and ended up in a coma. Besides he did take sunlight in before going back to Luthor's state.

thumb up

If you can't understand that basic principal, then you aren't going to like the movie.

redcaped
I still keep the 3D red&blue glasses.

calvinNhobbes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.