Atonement

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fiann@
New movie that is being cast at the moment based on the book of the same name by Ian McEwan. An absolutely amazing book, not what it first seems at all, I'm studying it for A-Level English at the moment, and it's just awesome. Can't wait to see how the film turns out, though slightly apprehensive on how they will handle it, especially the twist at the end.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else read the book?

Syren
Click

Joe Wright and Paul Webster, the director/producer team behind 'Pride & Prejudice', reunite for this adaptation. The cast includes Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Romola Garai, Saoirse Ronan and Brenda Blethyn. 'Atonement' has been adapted from Ian McEwan's novel by Christopher Hampton.

On the hottest day of the summer of 1935, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her older sister Cecilia strip off her clothes and plunge into the fountain in the garden of their country house. Watching Cecilia is their housekeeper's son Robbie Turner, a childhood friend who, along with Briony's sister, has recently graduated from Cambridge. By the end of that day the lives of all three will have been changed forever. Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had never before dared to approach and will have become victims of the younger girl's scheming imagination, and Briony will have committed a dreadful crime, the guilt for which will colour her entire life.

I recently saw this and I thought it was excellent. I haven't read the novel, although I have ordered it as a consequence of seeing the movie as I enjoyed it so much. Very rarely do I appreciate a movie adaptation of a book but on this occasion, as I hadn't read it, I obviously saw the movie with an open mind and without making immediate comparisons as I usually would.

Has anyone else seen it and what did you think of it?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Syren
Click

Joe Wright and Paul Webster, the director/producer team behind 'Pride & Prejudice', reunite for this adaptation. The cast includes Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Romola Garai, Saoirse Ronan and Brenda Blethyn. 'Atonement' has been adapted from Ian McEwan's novel by Christopher Hampton.

On the hottest day of the summer of 1935, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her older sister Cecilia strip off her clothes and plunge into the fountain in the garden of their country house. Watching Cecilia is their housekeeper's son Robbie Turner, a childhood friend who, along with Briony's sister, has recently graduated from Cambridge. By the end of that day the lives of all three will have been changed forever. Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had never before dared to approach and will have become victims of the younger girl's scheming imagination, and Briony will have committed a dreadful crime, the guilt for which will colour her entire life.

I recently saw this and I thought it was excellent. I haven't read the novel, although I have ordered it as a consequence of seeing the movie as I enjoyed it so much. Very rarely do I appreciate a movie adaptation of a book but on this occasion, as I hadn't read it, I obviously saw the movie with an open mind and without making immediate comparisons as I usually would.

Has anyone else seen it and what did you think of it?

Good film and good book

Kaleanae
I want to see this film, I'm still waiting until it comes here (December 8th, I believe...) I can't wait

chillmeistergen
I read the book for my A level English Literature, it's not really my kind of book, though McEwan's prose is fantastic. I haven't yet seen the film, I think Keira Knightley is a very good choice for Cecilia though.

What I hope, is that they don't minimise the importance of Briony's 'crime', or her later misgivings.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.