Inter-Forum Tournament

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blair Wind
So in the are we the best at what we do thread Jinzin, Digi and I started discussing an Inter-Forum Tournament. Since its a bit off topic to the original question asked, any thoughts can be put here. Right now were just trying to logically put the pieces together on how something of this magnitude would happen (no actual action would be taking place in the immediate future). Please dont spam the thread and be like 'OMG! KMC would like totally ROCK their SOCKS man! fu shure!!" Just ideas on how we could more smoothly handle this situation.
Thank you

newjak86
'OMG! KMC would like totally ROCK their SOCKS man! fu shure!!

Scoobless
'OMG! 'OMG!'OMG! KMC would like totally freakin' ROCK their SOCKS man! fu double shure dude!!

Blair Wind
no expression

newjak86
Originally posted by Scoobless
'OMG! 'OMG!'OMG! KMC would like totally freakin' ROCK their SOCKS man! fu double shure dude!! wink

A.J
Originally posted by newjak86
'OMG! KMC would like totally ROCK their SOCKS man! fu shure!!

newjak86
And now back on topic. This is a really good idea I think we should have nominations. The way I think it should work is kinda like the tournies he have here with a few exceptions. We should identify a certain power level like herald come up with limits as we did here.

Then we pick 5-10 people from each forum preferably an odd number. After which we have a draft where everyone gets to pick ONE person within the limits. Then we have a series of one on one debates between the forums.

From here it basically which ever side rakes up the most one on one wins wins the whole thing.

Blair Wind
I hate you all no expression

so anyways here are the ideas that were in the other thread

Originally posted by Sea King
we could set up something with antoher group like 10 chars. 5 from dc and 5 from marvel. have a debate draft who knows the most about those chars can sing up then we down size the sing up list by seeing who knows more in a debate on that char till certin team sizes are made.
then the other does the same and the we set up a time and what place witch debates will be placed.

numbers are just inputs does not mean thats how big or small it should be

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Yeah. It would be rough. I can list on maybe one hand the number of people that aren't in question (Mungi, DC, Val with GLs, I'd say you for Logan, but even that might be debatable). And determining the consensus 'best' for most characters would be nigh-impossible.

Maybe a nomination thread first. Like I'd come on and nominate the people I just listed for those characters (and a few others) and so would others. Then make poll-style thread for each character that's in question (like Batman for example) to determine a winner....and the nominees could make cases for themselves at that time if they want. So, for example, we wouldn't need a poll for namor, but we'd need one for Superman.

Still, that's lots of time and work. But a possible solution. And it doesn't involve extended debates for those who can't be on as much.

Originally posted by Blair Wind
We could start work now, tackle the problem with logic, then take action sometime later erm

I understand what you sayin about certain characters, and hell even about past debators. But a set number of teamates in a team for various characters will be easier than an expert on a certain character.
Personally I think people who can debate (those who can take information and apply it creatively) better should be put on the forefront of the battle, while the true experts on only specific characters supply them with the knowledge and scans they need. Alot of the time they ARE some of the best debators. But I like Digis idea as well on nomination thread.

Originally posted by DigiMark007
So we wouldn't narrow it to 1 for each character (except for ones that no one else cares about like Alpha Flight. stick out tongue ). And instead, team of 3-4 for more popular or well'known characters?? I like it....makes it a bit easier than havign to pick 1 for each.

Basic idea. Doesnt need to be only popular characters. IF there is an obscure character out there, a good debator given facts and scans and prodding by an expert (knowledge on a character and debating skills are two very different things) should be able to debate him efficiently.

Originally posted by jinzin
yeah i like that...

the REAL question before picking any members is simply revolved around the previously stated matter that sea king mentioned...

we should make a list of suitable characters that we would use in the tourney first. I mean I know we wouldn't be using every character located in the respect threads for example...
so which characters are we narrowed down to? which one's should we use? etc etc... that's first and foremost what we need; an adequate list of characters for each forum to use and debate with...

after that we can divvy who will represent the selected characters. Another good point that was brought up was that a person may know a TON about a specific character but may not be able to give very compelling or persuasive arguments for said character...

So we should pick people who are not only sufficient in knowledge of the character but also very articulate in the method of debate. And then the experts can back up the representatives with facts and scans as previously mentioned.
thanks for the mention but I agree entirely.. I know for a fact that both srank, capt, and riceroost know wayyy more about logan than I do, the only question is "who's the master debater between them/us"...

those are the kinds of things that need to be considered... since we would be repping the KMC forums we want to throw out the best we've got, not just the most knowledgeable. (and no I'm not implying I'm a better debater either, I'm just making a point)

but like I said... first we need a list to see which charcters would need representation since we can't debate using them all...

Originally posted by DarkCrawler
I have to say honestly that there is perhaps only one person in this planet that comes close to my Namor knowledge. Avenging Son of the Alvaros Comic Book Boards. However, I think I have jumped ahead of him with the massive respect thread, and the Namor website that is most likely ready by the end of this year.

And I certainly have not met an Alpha Flight fan come even close to King_Mungi. Only one guy who is similar to demigawd in Magneto knowledge (Mightily Oats of SHC). Draco89 might be the best soource for Wonder Woman knowlege I know. GalacticStorm is defenitely the best Phoenix and general cosmic know-it-all guy. I have not met anyone who knows Aquaman better then Lucid. And snoopdogg is defenitely the number one Colossus guy.

Also the depth that is put to debates are probably matched by no-one.

So yes, in some areas and some characters, I think we are the best there is.

Originally posted by leonidas
to show who the real debaters are, it would be cool to have 2 random characters picked. neither participant would know who the characters would be and be given maybe one day to prep for the debate. of course the characters would need to be 'mainstream' -- no silly, obscure characters -- and of relatively comparable power levels (superman v gladiator, for example) but that would be very cool. it would also prevent need of 'experts' and polls (though it would bring experts in because the forum rep would be hitting up the experts for scans and strategies!) overall though, general comic knowledge and debating skills would be the prime requirement.

as they should be. smile

it WOULD be cool to see the experts on each debate each other. could be spiderman v spiderman. each expert would have a spiderman and the winning representative would earn a point for their forum.

this sounds really cool.

newjak86
I hate you all no expression

so anyways here are the ideas that were in the other thread where's mine sad

Blair Wind
Originally posted by newjak86
And now back on topic. This is a really good idea I think we should have nominations. The way I think it should work is kinda like the tournies he have here with a few exceptions. We should identify a certain power level like herald come up with limits as we did here.

Then we pick 5-10 people from each forum preferably an odd number. After which we have a draft where everyone gets to pick ONE person within the limits. Then we have a series of one on one debates between the forums.

From here it basically which ever side rakes up the most one on one wins wins the whole thing.

you just gave it no expression

leonidas
i do believe my dear newjak, that your partner just stuck a knife in your back!! you gonna take that, man!? you just gonna lie there and bleed and do nothing!!??

newjak86
i do believe my dear newjak, that your partner just stuck a knife in your back!! you gonna take that, man!? you just gonna lie there and bleed and do nothing!!?? Your right BW we're through mad
What I see whats going you just want to stick a wedge between us Leo well it won't work me and BW are unbreakable. evil face

Blair Wind
i do believe my dear newjak, that your partner just stuck a knife in your back!! you gonna take that, man!? you just gonna lie there and bleed and do nothing!!??

I stuck no knife. He gave his opinion, so I didnt quote it. Its actually really superb. As for the comments: At least Ive never called my partner a girl.....roll eyes (sarcastic)

Scoobless
I've been toying with this idea:

As a new tourney format (and to answer Digi's "Who's the best" question) we do this:

- Each person who wants to compete for the title of "Best Debater" for each specific character (eg Spider-Man, Batman, whoever...) puts their name forward.

- A set situation/fight scene is devised and everyone participating writes up their strategy for dealing with the situation/fight

- These write -ups are all PMd to the organiser and posted simultaneously

- No additional strategies can be posted after reading the competitors statements

- a basic write in vote follows (stating why you voted the way you did)

Not so much a tournament as a series of one off strategy matches

Could be fun though.... and it works in my head (so far)

It could also be part of the qualification criteria for inter-forum debate participants

newjak86
I don't know about the whole Spiderman vs Spiderman you just debate one character and who has the most knowledge about them.

Why becuase it would be so hard to do. So what the battles go like you try and post more obscure feats and knowledge on the character then the other people or you just try and stump the other people. There really isn't much debating skills being put to work and with the internet most people can find the info they want even if they don't really know what the answer is.

newjak86
I stuck no knife. He gave his opinion, so I didnt quote it. Its actually really superb. As for the comments: At least Ive never called my partner a girl.....roll eyes (sarcastic) Well thank you BW and thats true I bet you Khana are doing well leo

Blair Wind
Would this be for selecting who represents us? Or for the tourny itself?

I still dont like the idea of getting character centric people. I mean like I said before, the most knowledgeable people are NOT the best debaters sometimes. I think a team of debaters backed by the experts on whatever characters are agreed upon would be a more efficient and practical solution. Now as to who we send in as debators? Your idea could work if tweaked. They are given a character, have only one day to prep for them AND they are given an expert on the character (for both contestents the same expert) The expert has been given a heads up ahead of time and presents them with the exact same scans. What they do from there would be pure debating skills and how they interepret the scans. Whaddya think?

leonidas
Would this be for selecting who represents us? Or for the tourny itself?

I still dont like the idea of getting character centric people. I mean like I said before, the most knowledgeable people are NOT the best debaters sometimes. I think a team of debaters backed by the experts on whatever characters are agreed upon would be a more efficient and practical solution. Now as to who we send in as debators? Your idea could work if tweaked. They are given a character, have only one day to prep for them AND they are given an expert on the character (for both contestents the same expert) The expert has been given a heads up ahead of time and presents them with the exact same scans. What they do from there would be pure debating skills and how they interepret the scans. Whaddya think?

is that my idea you're referencing? sounds like. anyway, you wouldn't need to assign an 'expert'. the rep would just hit up the most knowledgeable in their respective forums for info and scans. it would be forum v forum in terms of gathering info and discussing strategy, but it would be up to the debaters themselves to sell the idea.

ie -- bw (kmc) v x (superherochat) they will be debating superman v gladiator. bw gets glads (could have a way to decide who gets who) debate starts at 12est tomorrow. prepare as best you can gathering info on your own and from your respective forum members.

that's it. then the debate starts and you're on your own after everyone has helped you prepare.

simple, actually. just need to find the people you'd want from the forum to debate. be cool to have like a best of seven then you'd even need to slot your own debaters in strategically where you think they'd best fit.

i think it would be so cool. imagine if it's tied at 3 and YOU'RE the one debating that seventh rd!!

so &^%$in' cool . . . big grin

Takion
EDIT

Validus
The only problem is every forum is different in debating style. SHC for example uses characters the way they're written in books so something like Superman Vs Hulk would be an even match yet on KMC that's considered lopsided.

DarkCrawler
I would want to compete for Namor...but nobody else probably wouldn't. sad

DigiMark007
I really don't want to be attached to this very much, but good luck.

And if you're looking for characters to "narrow down", most of the best respect threads we have are 'recommended' by me at the bottom of the respect directories. If we want to pick characters that we have the most scans for, that would be a good place to start.

grey fox
So in the are we the best at what we do thread Jinzin, Digi and I started discussing an Inter-Forum Tournament. Since its a bit off topic to the original question asked, any thoughts can be put here. Right now were just trying to logically put the pieces together on how something of this magnitude would happen (no actual action would be taking place in the immediate future). Please dont spam the thread and be like 'OMG! KMC would like totally ROCK their SOCKS man! fu shure!!" Just ideas on how we could more smoothly handle this situation.
Thank you

We get a representative from each forum to create a single new forum for each thread.

We then pose 'Whos the best' tourneys within each individual forum.

After that they then go on to form Team KMC , Team Newsrama , Team SuperheroHype and etc etc etc.

Power levels are defined by the highest mod's from each forum.

A set of judges then joins this 'new forum' as can hundreds of other people interested as spectators.

Or we could just fill 'em up with PCP and throw them in a steel cage . Ether ways good.

Blair Wind
interesting ideas

Blair Wind
anything else? Jinzin?

jinzin
at the moment I think I've given my best ideas.. I'm just waiting to see what everyone else has to say really.. I wouldn't mind debating some matches to rep KMC but I honestly know there's better people here than me to get the job done so I'm backseating it... but at the moment no.. just be aware I AM reading this stuff and lurking in the shadows like a good cyber ninja...

batdude123
I call Batman. Btw, KMC rocks their socks man!

King KAM
KMC wins....they got the LOC&O and the LOC&O got King Kam....the heir to the throne

HellMaster93
Yo... I technically have a forum that could be used as a "battleground" but most of the members are on KMC... big grin

Blair Wind
shifty

no one needs to know

HellMaster93
LOL...?

Blair Wind
you offered a place right? none of the other people need to know its an extension of KMC....shifty

HellMaster93
Indeed... evil face I have a different username too... shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.