Best Kung Fu Movie Ever.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GODOFALL1
I know there is a lot. But Shaolin Vs Lama has got to be the best EVER! I collect martial arts movies, so bring it on people.

Solo
MOTFG

C-Dic
MOTFG is more manga than Kung Fu, overhyped manga at that. I think the characters appeal to everyone while the storyline and pace suffer.

"Enter the Dragon" gets my vote, as mainstream as it is. Too many other Kung Fu movies suffer from carbon copy characters and plots.

lordofwar
There is already a thread like this.

GODOFALL1
Enter the Dragon was horrible. Not even good choreography. Not to mention like Bruce Lee fights anyone with martial arts experience in his movies. I dont like his movies at all actually. Anything with Gordon Liu is awesome.

Instructors of Death
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Shaolin vs Ninja
Challenge of the Masters
Shaolin Master Killer
Fists of the White Lotus

DeVi| D0do
Kung Fu Hustle.

C-Dic
Originally posted by GODOFALL1
Enter the Dragon was horrible. Not even good choreography. Not to mention like Bruce Lee fights anyone with martial arts experience in his movies.

Yeah...Bolo Yeung and Jim Kelly are just crap...roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
I enjoyed two movies with Jackie Chan quite a lot, sadly I am not perfectly aware of the English or Chinese title, but I think that is what imdb told me:

Se ying diu sau - Snake in Eagle's Shadow (1978)
Jui kuen - Drunken Master (1978)

Bardock42
My bad, the movie I thought was pretty good was Drunken master II...weird.

Dusty
Originally posted by C-Dic
Yeah...Bolo Yeung and Jim Kelly are just crap...roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bolo is the shit. Awesome in 'Bloodsport' and 'Enter the Dragon'.

Have you seen 'Shootfighter'?

jayElias
i havent seen the 'shootfighter'.
and i think most of jackie chan's movies are best kung fu movie ever.
jet lee is other style of kung fu movie, i also like his movies very much.

GODOFALL1
Man, you guys must not watch Gordon Liu. He's the best ever. Seriously, check these out: INstructors of Death, Shaolin Master Killer, Shaolin and Wutang, Fists of the White Lotus, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. Those are just a few. He is sooooooooo crisp its amazing. Also, no stupid wires. I HATE wires!!!!!!!! So fake. Nothing against Jet Li, but you know......
However, Shaolin vs Lama is the best ever. I have seen many of the movies you guys mention. They are great. But once you see Shaolin vs Lama it will change everything you have ever thought about martial arts!

dragoninn
Saw Gordon Liu in 36 Chambers, more like a bloated studio pdt with a studio star more than a martial artist. I will watch Jet Li played three section staff in Shaolin temple than amateurish three section staff played by Liu. Jet Li used wire when exaggerated action was requested such as the seven kicks in midair in Wong fei hung. Most of his modern pics do not or use very little wire: Shaolin temple triology, The Master, Dragon fight, Meltdown, Enforcer, Defender, Hitman, LW4, Kiss of dragon, Unleashed. Also donnie yen used insane amout of wire in iron monkey and wire is all over the place in the final alley sword fight in seven swords, and the fight with jackie in twin effect. wire is sometimes used to hold back the force on a stuntman or to increase the dramatic flair eg a kick that sends a stuntman ten feet away w/o hurting them. it also depends on what kind of movie you are making eg wuxia where people can fly, wire must be used.stop quoting like wire is the privilege of Jet cause it isn't

Quoting from Jetli.com
That wasn't all I learned from Tsui Hark ...

Occasionally, the script demanded that our characters perform bizarre and improbable feats. Case in point: Wong Fei-hung's "No Shadow Kick." A few of us protested, feeling that the audience would find it impossible to believe that a person could land seven kicks in mid-air. But Tsui Hark insisted on it. So we all had a lively argument about this issue. Of course, the director's vision always wins out, so we agreed to respect his decision. But I remember asking him, "Don't you think that this kick is a little too exaggerated?"

He replied: "You've forgotten one thing. Once the audience begins to sympathize with the character, he can't do anything wrong. Even if he does something slightly superhuman, they're willing to suspend their disbelief. The audience is already wrapped up in the character and his story; it's not like they're watching the No Shadow Kick out of context. So when I plot out each move, I often ask myself: 'If I were watching this as a member of the audience, would I be able to keep up with the idea that is being conveyed in that instant?' They might miss it altogether. Remember, a fight scene may take one to two months to choreograph and film, but the audience experiences it in a few seconds. It's never just a matter of the physical movements."

WrathfulDwarf
There are so many indeed...I'd pick these five:

The Drunken Master
5 Deadly Venoms
Master Killer (a.k.a. 36th Chamber of Shaolin)
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Enter the Dragon (one of my top 10 favorite films of all time)

Make that six!

Iron Monkey!

Quiero Mota
Enter the Dragon hands down!

Enter the Dragon is to kung fu movies, what The Godfather is to mafia films.

Impediment
I always liked Enter the Dragon best, but good runner ups have to be Drunken Master, MOTFG, Iron Monkey, and (I don't care what anyone says) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

jayElias
yes, have no wires, just have real kung fu. that's amazing. i have to rent 'Shaolin Master Killer' to see.

GODOFALL1
Go rent Shaolin Vs Lama. It is the BEST one ever!!! Trust me. I collect kungfu movies. Its like 100 times better than Enter the Dragon. Seriously! lol Then again, the kungfu in Enter the Dragon isn't good at all, bad choreography. I dont like any of Bruce Lee movies though. Greatest martial artist, worst movies though. Or rent Shaolin and Wutang or Instructors of Death. They'll blow your socks off too!
Somebody put Five Deadly Venoms as their fav. Man, if you like that, you might not be able to keep up with these other three movies. The kungfu is lightning faster. Truly unreal. Check them out.

C-Dic
Personally, I don't even consider MOTFG a "kung fu" movie in the least. It's a Chinese "Gladiator" if anything. There's so little martial arts in this movie I don't see how it could be otherwise..

Lots of gimmicks, lots of different unique characters, all to mask bad choreography.

GODOFALL1
I hoping one of you will somehow find Shaolin vs Lama just so you can see what kungfu really is! i collect a lot of kungfu movies. I have over 400 films. It all depends on what turns you on. If you are into wires, and superpowers, then Lord of the Wutang is crazy!!!!!! But on a more realisitic note, Shaolin vs Lama and Instructors of Death pretty much top the top. Hey, Bruce Lee gets my respect more than anyone, for being a fighter!,( well except Goku! lol) The way he called out everyone in the arena and said he would beat them in less then a minute, and then actually did it, is amazing!!!(He really did that by the way) But his movies SUCKED! Shaolin vs Lama............thats choreography, thats a story, that's REAL, that's KungFu!!!

C-Dic
They're all the same to me. Bad dubs, monotonous fighting, similar storylines. That's why I opt for vintage Japanese drama and live action manga, i.e. Lady Snowblood, Shogun Assassin, Shadow Hunters, etc.

WrathfulDwarf

lordofwar
Once Upon a Time in China 1 2 and Last Hero in China
Tai Chi Master
Swordsman 2
Fong Sai Yuk 1 2
Fist of Legend
Kung Fu Cult Master
New Legend of Shaolin
Iron Monkey
Wing Chun
Drunken Master 1 2
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Young Master
Project A
Prodigal Son
Eastern Condors
Police Story 1 2
Dragons Forever
The Victim
Warrior Two
Magnificent Butcher
Pedicab Driver
Knockabout
Dreadnought
Butterfly and Sword
New Dragon Inn
Fire Dragon
Moon Warriors
All Men are Brothers
Blade of Fury
Swordsman 3: The East is Red

jayElias
about Kung Fu film, i like jet lee's.
the fist of legend is my best favor.
http://img.verycd.com/posts/0509/post-201734-1126608916.jpg

GODOFALL1
Shaolin vs Lama
Instructors of Death
Fists of the White Lotus
Shaolin and Wutang

Those are the best ever!

Crisp, clean, pretty, fast, realisitc kung fu. That is what is to be appreciated by these movies.

However, the "prettiest" kungfu I've ever seen is in a movie called, "Fists and Guts"

Ofcourse trying to compare Gordon Liu to anyone is really impossible. I would have to say Jackie Chan is second and Jet Li is 3rd. Bruce Lee is probably about 25th(for his movies)

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Enter the Dragon hands down!

Enter the Dragon is to kung fu movies, what The Godfather is to mafia films.

I could not agree more, happy

Originally posted by C-Dic
"Enter the Dragon" gets my vote, as mainstream as it is. Too many other Kung Fu movies suffer from carbon copy characters and plots.

I agree, it receives my #1 vote bar none.

Now imagine Bruce Lee had been given the opportunity to create more superior martial arts films...one can always dream.

GODOFALL1
I dont understand! Enter the Dragon SUCKED! I mean it was horrible. Terrible choreography. Holy smoke....you guys are either lost or your just lacking information. smile What in the world is there to like about Enter the Dragon? The fight scenes are terrible. They don't even last that long, and the martial arts is WEAK! Guys, check out Shaolin vs Lama or Shaolin and Wutang.........those movies are soooooooooooooo far beyond Enter the Dragon. Bruce Lee was probably the greatest martial artists ever........but his movies SUCKED! Check out the ones I've listed. I guarantee you, you will be amazed, and you'll probably NEVER watch Enter the Dragon again. Gordon Liu would whip Bruce Lee's ass!!!

Bicnarok

GODOFALL1
His movies were horrible. You guys just haven't seen any of the movies I've listed. If you have, you would never watch Enter the Dragon again. lol Just bad choreography. I also believe most of you haven't really even seen a lot of kungfu movies either. There's like 30 others that are waaaaaaaaayyyyyy better. Who does Bruce Lee fight in his movies anyway????? Some dork that knows no kungfu and has a metal claw for a hand??? Kareem ABdul Jabar???????? LMAO Chuch NOrris that is about the only guy, and even that fight scene was WEAK! Bruce Lee is sooooo overrated and his movies just lack good, crisp, martial arts.....Go watch any movie with Gordon Liu, that's REAL kungfu, shaolin kungfu, from which all martial arts arose. Jackie Chan is awesome too, Jet Lee is OK! Im just not into wires and fake stuff.

GODOFALL1
"I have had the Ye Ching Manual for 13 years. If I hadn't mastered it by now, I'd regard myself as an idiot!" ~Shaolin Vs Lama~

lordofwar
Fearless

vintageSW77
i got to go for
BLACK BELT JONES

K.Diddy
beer The Karate kid

LORDSIDIOUS01
I am gonna bring it. Enter the Dragon was great. How about The Four Assassins. Bloody Avengers. The 36th. Chamber or as it was known here in the states The Master Killer. Fell free to send me a personal email and we can debate this. smile http://images.killermovies.com/forums/smilies/roll.gif
rolling on floor laughing

The Sensei

If you think Shaolin v Lama is the best you have seen then you dear sir are no kung fu movie buff.

There are some many movies that blow that out of the water. Take a look at these movies. I'll only list the ones I own, and that are far better than Shaolin v Lama.

Odd Couple (aka Eternal Conflict)
Dreadnaught
Magnificent Butcher
Prodigal Son
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
My Young Auntie
Master Strikes
Two on the Road
5 Superfighters (one of the best quotes ever, I'm here to fix your broken kung fu)
Legend of a Fighter
The Victim
Knockabout
Warriors Two
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
Stroke of Death
Lion vs Lion
Duel To The Death
New Tales of The Flying Fox
Dance of the Drunk Mantis
Two Champions of Death
3 Evil Masters
The Challenger
The Loot
Legendary Weapons of China

I'll throw some new age in there too...........

Iron Monkey
Legend of Zu
Dragon Inn
Dragon Tiger Gate
Stormriders
Sha Po Lang
Flashpoint
Moon Warriors
Tai Chi Master
Peacock King
Hero Among Heros
Swordsman 2
Evil Cult
Seven Swords
Drunken Monkey

I have a lot more, but watch some of these, you may think twice about SvL, not saying it's a bad movie though. One of my favorite quotes from it are. "Allow me to show you the skill of Shaolin, the secret technique of Shaodow Boxing"

Mark Question
Remember Black Belt Theater... 5 Deadly Venoms, that is the heat.

ragesRemorse
Even though Enter the dragon should always be acknowledged and Lee is my favorite martial artist. I believe it pales in comparison to many other kung fu movies.

Shaolin temple
zu warriors
Supercop
operation condor

Although it is a shit movie. tony Jaa's the protector has the most impressive martial arts sequence i have ever seen. When he enters that hotel/restaurant and marches up the stairs while beating ass. the entire sequence is one continuous shot. It is nearly six minutes of physical exertion. I had never seen that before in a kung-fu flick

Aizen
I would say Mui Thai flick!

Ong Back and Tom Yum Goong are awesome, the strange thing is Thai ppl believe in different things so to us those stories were awe full but dose fight scenes, damn I mean the guy is doing some scary stuff there. Jackie Chan is old Jet Li is old, Donnie Yen is getting old Tony Jaa will be the next martial art movies star.

Ong Bak 2 will come in early 2008 and loads are speculating some of the news that Tony is doing some stuff that are even more crazy then the scenes in his well known movies.

Cant wait.

Bat Dude
His movies were horrible. You guys just haven't seen any of the movies I've listed. If you have, you would never watch Enter the Dragon again. lol Just bad choreography. I also believe most of you haven't really even seen a lot of kungfu movies either. There's like 30 others that are waaaaaaaaayyyyyy better. Who does Bruce Lee fight in his movies anyway????? Some dork that knows no kungfu and has a metal claw for a hand??? Kareem ABdul Jabar???????? LMAO Chuch NOrris that is about the only guy, and even that fight scene was WEAK! Bruce Lee is sooooo overrated and his movies just lack good, crisp, martial arts.....Go watch any movie with Gordon Liu, that's REAL kungfu, shaolin kungfu, from which all martial arts arose. Jackie Chan is awesome too, Jet Lee is OK! Im just not into wires and fake stuff.

Actually, he fought an entire school of Japanese samurai in Fist of Fury...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5q9kYKtvYU0&mode=related&search=

He fought that guy who played O' Hara in Enter the Dragon (who also played that Dutch or Russian guy in Fist of Fury, I think)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PdlCNF-F5oI

Chuck Norris as you said...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JLO1YIWQuXE&mode=related&search=

He also fought Jackie Chan once, in Enter the Dragon...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WTl_ZSaeDBo

As for best Martial Arts movies... (imo)
In no particular order...
Enter the Dragon (a classic)
Fist of Fury (Also a classic)
Tai Chi Master
My Father is a Hero (main villain looks like the younger Toguro Bro.)
Fong Sai Yuk

So basically 2 Bruce Lee and 3 Jet Li

FistOfThe North
Chinese Connection Starring Bruce Lee

magic_hate_ball
my top 5

5. Shaolin Drunken Monk
4. 5 Deadly Venoms
3. Ten Tigers of Kwangtung
2. Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin
1. Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang

Darth Martin
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Kung Fu Hustle. laughing That movie was hilarious!

stonerleo

Rogue Jedi
Twin Warriors.

marwash22
a few a my favorites are:

5 Deadly Venoms.
Way of the Dragon
Shaolin Temple
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Game of Death
Ong Bak
The Protector (Jaa)
Who Am I
Rumble in the Bronx
Legend of the Drunken Master

there are so many more.

galina
Originally posted by jayElias
i havent seen the 'shootfighter'.
and i think most of jackie chan's movies are best kung fu movie ever.
jet lee is other style of kung fu movie, i also like his movies very much.

Yes,i agree with you that most of the jackie chan's movie are best.

ChrisSolc

LLLLLink
http://www.screen-power.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/donnie_yen_ip_man_movie.jpg

Donnie Yen movies, 'nuff said.
Tony Jaa, Jet Li, and anyone else can eat their hearts out.

Bloinky
Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.................

ChrisGyle

Chris85

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.