Does anyone eles think Superman's origin is annoying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sparkz
I don't mind that he comes from another planet and everything but its the fact that he is so freaking powerful yet its his natural powers, now if he was a god it wouldnt be so bad or he got his powers due to some accident but the fact is he's just an alien, and even though on his home planet he has no powers I just find it weird how if krypton hadn't gone boom then if kryptonians emigrated to earth (lets say they wanted a better tan) then there would be a race of gods.

((The_Anomaly))
What the f**k?

Blair Wind
I get you...and agree 100%

Accel
Originally posted by Sparkz
I don't mind that he comes from another planet and everything but its the fact that he is so freaking powerful yet its his natural powers, now if he was a god it wouldnt be so bad or he got his powers due to some accident but the fact is he's just an alien, and even though on his home planet he has no powers I just find it weird how if krypton hadn't gone boom then if kryptonians emigrated to earth (lets say they wanted a better tan) then there would be a race of gods.
In the beginning, I don't believe Supes had a real origin at all. His powers were just there without any real explanation until writers came up with the Sun giving him his powers.

I'm curious, though, was Krypton near a red sun or something that kept the residents from becoming a race of supermen and women?

((The_Anomaly))
Yes, Krypton was in a solar system with a Red Sun, thats why the Kryptonians on Krypton didnt have any superpowers.

MattDay
thread starter shut up whining, his story origin is one of the best and most interesting, as it traverses space, and his growing up on earth as a child, then teenager is intersting struggling with life being bullied, which everyone can relate too, and not being able to do anything even with his abilities... and a lot of u americans watch a show called smallville which uses the core parts of his origin... so again shut up as he has a great origin and his powers is what makes him superman! not kinda-superman or supermanish alrite!? lol

think before you say is a saying i use and stay by a lot...

Demonic Phoenix
Ya, his origin's cool. It's coz of his origin that he has his powers in the first place, and that's not the only reason y his origin's cool.

Sparkz
Originally posted by MattDay
thread starter shut up whining, his story origin is one of the best and most interesting, as it traverses space, and his growing up on earth as a child, then teenager is intersting struggling with life being bullied, which everyone can relate too, and not being able to do anything even with his abilities... and a lot of u americans watch a show called smallville which uses the core parts of his origin... so again shut up as he has a great origin and his powers is what makes him superman! not kinda-superman or supermanish alrite!? lol

think before you say is a saying i use and stay by a lot...

First off, I'm not American stick out tongue.

Secondly its not that that I find stupid its the fact that his powers are natural and that if his race was alive and moved to earth they would essentialy be an unstoppable force. Next time read what I said before you start having a go at me...Please note I also didn't complain about his powers, I was complaining on the fact of why he has them.

redcaped
Sorry for those who are currently upset. He is only a character not a rule.

((The_Anomaly))
First off, I'm not American stick out tongue.

Secondly its not that that I find stupid its the fact that his powers are natural and that if his race was alive and moved to earth they would essentialy be an unstoppable force. Next time read what I said before you start having a go at me...Please note I also didn't complain about his powers, I was complaining on the fact of why he has them.

I don't quite understand what your exactly trying to say...you don't like Superman's powers because they're natural??

The fact that Superman just has his powers naturally, from birth, with no cliche "accident" from which he got his powers, the fact that Superman just has his powers, and are a part of who he is is what makes him so dynamic and special. To use a quote from Kill Bill 2:

An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, SpiderMan is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become SpiderMan. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak, he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

cool

Sparkz
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I don't quite understand what your exactly trying to say...you don't like Superman's powers because they're natural??

The fact that Superman just has his powers naturally, from birth, with no cliche "accident" from which he got his powers, the fact that Superman just has his powers, and are a part of who he is is what makes him so dynamic and special. To use a quote from Kill Bill 2:

An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, SpiderMan is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become SpiderMan. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak, he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

cool

In a sense yes, I have no problem with supermans powers or that they a fueled from the sun, but the fact that any Kryptonian could go under a yellow sun could become so powerful they could conqure almost any planet and give lesser gods a good tussel, I like how he grew up with them and everything, but I'd have liked it if he was weaker seeing as the powers are natural, I know he dosen't move planets now but the fact that he just has these powers and can move a planet just bugs me. If he was a lesser god or something sent to Earth wouldn't be so bad because you expect Gods to be that powerful, but not just an average race from the universewho could probbaly conqure it if they wanted to.

MattDay
well the kryptonians were very powerful, had intelligence eons ahead of us, they also knew visiting earth would affect their physiology, it was their blind ignorance of thinking they were invicible was what killed them when Jor-El warned them of their sun going supernova.

I think the idea of superman was to help curb humans from having the same fate and cure crime on earth... of course!

Mindship
To use a quote from Kill Bill 2:

cool

It's more than this. Superman's origin mirrors that of the archetypal hero found in many cultures throughout history. An explanation of this archetypal myth can be found in Joseph Campbell's "Hero With A Thousand Faces." This myth has influenced Seigel and Schuster as well as George Lucas in creating his Star Wars mythology.

That aside, the 2 things that bother me about Superman's origin are: 1) that Kryptonians and Earthlings are so damn similar as to be visually indistinguishable from one another; and 2) if they are so damn similar, how is that Kryptonians react so very, very differently to the radiation from a yellow sun (which, in itself, is strange, considering that solar radiation is solar radiation, regardless of star color: the color of a star varies with its temperature, not cuz it has a different kind of radiation).

In another thread, some months back, I offered this explanation as a means of reconciling some of the above: both Kryptonians and Earthlings initially hail from a common mother race of humanoids (kinda like Star Trek's idea of the Preservers). Neither race is indigenous to their worlds; they are the result of intervention from this much-older, starfaring mother race, Kryptonians being an "upgrade" or more advanced version of the basic humanoid-DNA matrix, which is why they react differently to radiation from a yellow star.

In any event, Jor-El--being the eminent scientist that he was--was aware of this common heritage, which is why he choose Earth as the place to send his son. (Nothing of this apparently long-gone mother race is mentioned in Kryptonian mythology because Kryptonians--being generally such a proud, indeed even arrogant people, as evidenced by refusing to believe their world was gonna go boom--regarded such discussion as taboo).

Decay
something ive always been curious about, kryptonian from red sun + yellow sun = superman, human from yellow sun + red sun =? if a human was to have been sent to krypton instead of a kryponian to earth would we be strong, or do we still suck, like almost every comic portrayal of us says.

Jargon343
Originally posted by Mindship
It's more than this. Superman's origin mirrors that of the archetypal hero found in many cultures throughout history. An explanation of this archetypal myth can be found in Joseph Campbell's "Hero With A Thousand Faces." This myth has influenced Seigel and Schuster as well as George Lucas in creating his Star Wars mythology.

That aside, the 2 things that bother me about Superman's origin are: 1) that Kryptonians and Earthlings are so damn similar as to be visually indistinguishable from one another; and 2) if they are so damn similar, how is that Kryptonians react so very, very differently to the radiation from a yellow sun (which, in itself, is strange, considering that solar radiation is solar radiation, regardless of star color: the color of a star varies with its temperature, not cuz it has a different kind of radiation).

In another thread, some months back, I offered this explanation as a means of reconciling some of the above: both Kryptonians and Earthlings initially hail from a common mother race of humanoids (kinda like Star Trek's idea of the Preservers). Neither race is indigenous to their worlds; they are the result of intervention from this much-older, starfaring mother race, Kryptonians being an "upgrade" or more advanced version of the basic humanoid-DNA matrix, which is why they react differently to radiation from a yellow star.

In any event, Jor-El--being the eminent scientist that he was--was aware of this common heritage, which is why he choose Earth as the place to send his son. (Nothing of this apparently long-gone mother race is mentioned in Kryptonian mythology because Kryptonians--being generally such a proud, indeed even arrogant people, as evidenced by refusing to believe their world was gonna go boom--regarded such discussion as taboo).

Almost all comic book aliens look almost identical to humans anyway though. Sometimes they have purple skin or a third eye in the middle of their foreheads or whatever, but for the most part they aren't really that different from humans. Superman isn't that unique in that characteristic.

Mindship
Originally posted by Jargon343
Almost all comic book aliens look almost identical to humans anyway though. Sometimes they have purple skin or a third eye in the middle of their foreheads or whatever, but for the most part they aren't really that different from humans. Superman isn't that unique in that characteristic.

True...that progenitor race of humanoids really got around... wink

meep-meep

Sort of like Saiyans...

jedi90
Originally posted by Accel
In the beginning, I don't believe Supes had a real origin at all. His powers were just there without any real explanation until writers came up with the Sun giving him his powers.

I'm curious, though, was Krypton near a red sun or something that kept the residents from becoming a race of supermen and women?

sorry, but you are quite wrong. superman always had an origin. the details were VERY vague originally. at first there was no jor-el, ma or pa kent. the first story simply stated that he was sent to earth from an exploding planet. found by a couple who dropped him off at a orphanage. yes, superman originally grew up in an orphanage. as time passed the story of him being rasied in an orphanage raised questions about how come no one knew he had powers, so superman's origin was tweaked to what most know today.
now about supermans powers. originally all kryptonians had superpowers. its was changed shortly to state that our lighter gravity is what enabled superman to have his powers vice krypton's heavier gravity. like most supernerds, fans wanted a more indepth explanation to superman's powers and thats when the yellow sun story came into play.

Darth Macabre
In a sense yes, I have no problem with supermans powers or that they a fueled from the sun, but the fact that any Kryptonian could go under a yellow sun could become so powerful they could conqure almost any planet and give lesser gods a good tussel, I like how he grew up with them and everything, but I'd have liked it if he was weaker seeing as the powers are natural, I know he dosen't move planets now but the fact that he just has these powers and can move a planet just bugs me. If he was a lesser god or something sent to Earth wouldn't be so bad because you expect Gods to be that powerful, but not just an average race from the universewho could probbaly conqure it if they wanted to.

Martians are even worse.

redcaped
I've found a hidden message to fans people viewers whatever...and that was some sort of comparison and also a dare...not from Superman but from the makers. I find nothing wrong with all he can do when necessary but certainly were a few intentional expressions. The movie? Perfect.

redcaped
To me Comics and Movies are the same. You may continue.

YellowFever

You're right.
I think he shoulda been bitten by a radioactive alien when he was in high school.

BlackC@
Originally posted by Decay
something ive always been curious about, kryptonian from red sun + yellow sun = superman, human from yellow sun + red sun =? if a human was to have been sent to krypton instead of a kryponian to earth would we be strong, or do we still suck, like almost every comic portrayal of us says.

Your post is confusing and hard to understand. Learn to structure it properly.

What I think you are asking is if us humans were under the light of a red sun, would we possess powers? That is a no. Kryptonians absorb solar energy, kind of like photosynthesis. We do not absorb solar energy the same way that they do. Also, their gravity is MUCH heavier than our own. On their planet we could not move.

Think of it like this, when we're on the moon we can leap very high, etc. But if someone was born and raised on the moon, they could not do these things because their muscles are less developed.

BlackC@
I actually think it's a very cool idea that Kryptonians are only god-like under the light of a yellow sun. It's a nice, new, and fresh idea.

Superboy Prime
Well...I don't really think it's such a new idea...I mean Supes has been around for nearly 70 years if I am not mistaken.

Swanky-Tuna
Yeah... Fresh and new? Superman's been around since the 40's I believe.

The origin of Superman's powers and his powers in general bug me too. He bugs me for roughly the same reason Phoenix bugs me. They were just given their powers at birth. And they're omnipotent powers. Yes, I know on paper Superman isn't actually omnipotent all the tales I hear of him make him out to be.

He's an example of a person power gaming in D&D or some other rpg, or someone who uses cheat codes in a first person shooter. Or those silly maps on Warcraft 3 where you can amp your hero to have stats into the thousands.

His weaknesses slowly diminish to the point where he can run for hundreds or thousands of years or whatever off his energy stores that it jades my thinking of his planet.

For the sake of the DC world, I'm glad krypton blew up and I'm glad the majority of the kryptonians died. This is just a wild guess but there must of been plenty of jerks. They couldn't all be plagued with the single character flaw of being too good a person like Clark. Think if they found out they could wrestle angels if they just sat in yellow sunlight.

And Phoenix... I just think the concept stinks and almost all the X-Men annoy me. Burn.

Martian Manhunter is awesome though. And Gladiator to some extent.
Originally posted by meep-meep
Sort of like Saiyans...
Even though I dislike the show, on DBZ they showed that anyone could become crazy powerful, it was just the Saiyans could get more powerful.

roughrider
No, his origin doesn't annoy me. In the movies especially, it's presented beautifully and lyrically.
And it's no coincidence that he looks human rather than more alien. Kryptonians were a race of humanoids. It's because they were so close genetically to the people of Earth, that Jor-El made the decision to send Kal-El there, so he could be part of them more easily.

Superherovandal
isnt it unfair to say his origin is annoying. i mean he was the first one with it. and there are plenty who were born with more power. MM, Genis Vell. etc.

who?-kid
To use a quote from Kill Bill 2:

That's a lot of bull.

Almost the same thing can be said about Spider-Man, or Batman, or Iron Man and so on. Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, in a way they are fake, their real personality is Spider-Man, Batman and Iron Man.

roughrider
Originally posted by who?-kid
That's a lot of bull.

Almost the same thing can be said about Spider-Man, or Batman, or Iron Man and so on. Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, in a way they are fake, their real personality is Spider-Man, Batman and Iron Man.

I would somewhat disagree. Batman is the real person, Bruce Wayne is the disguise. Peter Parker was a shy teen who found an extroverted personality in Spider Man. Iron Man is just a convenient tool for Tony Stark to do good with; he doesn't have identity issues.

Superboy Prime
I never bought BB's line of Batman being above Bruce in terms of his personality. It just irritates me. Bruce Wayne was first. Bruce Wayne is the one that suffered the loss of his parents. Bruce Wayne is the one that decided to train himself to fight against crime. Batman is Bruce Wayne's creation. Bruce Wayne is what keeps Batman from turning into psycho.

Superboy Prime
And no who-kid it's not a lot of bull because the same cannot be said about Spider-Man and other characters. Well you can say whatever you want, but that doesn't make it a fact.

roughrider
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
I never bought BB's line of Batman being above Bruce in terms of his personality. It just irritates me. Bruce Wayne was first. Bruce Wayne is the one that suffered the loss of his parents. Bruce Wayne is the one that decided to train himself to fight against crime. Batman is Bruce Wayne's creation. Bruce Wayne is what keeps Batman from turning into psycho.

A lot of DC writers & editors - like Denny O'Neil, who mentored Frank Miller - over the past few decades, agree that Batman is Bruce Wayne's true persona. He has little interest in his daytime life out of costume.

Superboy Prime
Nice to know, but I strongly disagree with them.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by roughrider
A lot of DC writers & editors - like Denny O'Neil, who mentored Frank Miller - over the past few decades, agree that Batman is Bruce Wayne's true persona. He has little interest in his daytime life out of costume.

But he still has to put on a costume to become Batman...Superman has to put on a costume to become Clark Kent...

Juntai
But... the Kryptonians were considered a godlike race anyways...
They didn't need a yellow sun, they liked Krypton.

Juntai
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
But he still has to put on a costume to become Batman...Superman has to put on a costume to become Clark Kent... Actually, he takes the costume off to become Bruce Wayne. Batman is definately the superior in Bruce Wayne's psyche. It can easily be seen in Bruce Wayne Fugutive, when he himself said Bruce Wayne is a mask Batman wears to infiltrate society. The thing about it is, they must coexist... Batman relies on Bruce, and Bruce needs Batman to not be just a scared little rich boy. Batman is pretty much the definition of the old phrase "Don't go hunting monsters, lest ye become a monster yourself". Batman is about as a crazy as the guys he chases around.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Superherovandal
isnt it unfair to say his origin is annoying. i mean he was the first one with it. and there are plenty who were born with more power. MM, Genis Vell. etc.
Well, it does have a striking simularity to... ehh... Moses? who was sent down the nile to live a better life.

Superman's just made out better than he should be.

Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Could it be that Bruce's personality has shifted far enough that it became Batman and the Bruce Wayne persona is just a cover with the name Bruce Wayne?

MattDay
I agree with the forumer that says superman is superman clark kent is his disguise, you see his name is kal el, he never was originally clark kent, he adopted the name to blend in, his new family gave him the name, superman is the next step of kal el, he never was clark kent, bruce wayne was born, grew up and lived as bruce wayne, peter parker was born, grew up and lived as peter parker, it aint hard to see that they are different and superman beats them all!!! ahhhhh! lol well he's the defining hero of the aformentioned heroes

BlackC@
Originally posted by Juntai
But... the Kryptonians were considered a godlike race anyways...
They didn't need a yellow sun, they liked Krypton.

If someone came to Krypton, they could kill Kryptonians. They are not godlike. They're under a red sun, they're mortal.

It's only a yellow sun that gives them their powers.

Jesus H Christ...

Don't come in here if you don't know shit about Superman.

HigherLevel
Originally posted by BlackC@
If someone came to Krypton, they could kill Kryptonians. They are not godlike. They're under a red sun, they're mortal.

It's only a yellow sun that gives them their powers.

Jesus H Christ...

Don't come in here if you don't know shit about Superman.

He meant they felt so technologically superior that it was like they attained god-hood....ofcourse that didn't work out

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.