Seven Soldiers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Juntai
Hey, number 1 was scheduled to be out today, but I didn't see it.. . . anyone know if it got pushed back, and if so.. to when?

Darth Vicious
Wasnt this out already a few months ago? Or is it a new series?

ScarletSpider
For your edification, D. Vicious: Seven Soldiers was a Grant Morrison mega-concept/series thing. It had a Prologue Issue #0, then there were seven four-issue mini-series. Now there should be a big book end issue, Seven Soldiers Special #1. I'm guesing, because of all the Crises, One Year Later and 52, they pushed it back so when it comes out, it's a bit more special.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72905

Darth Vicious
Thank god I ask! I only know about it because I thought it was a Zatanna book. Thank god a came upon your very informative post which enlightened me about the very popular and seccesful series that is Seven Soldiers, for that I thank u. big grin

ScarletSpider
You're most welcome, gracious sir.

I had erroneously believed it was common knowledge. I suppose that shows the state of the masses nowadays, hmm?

Darth Vicious
Not really. Im a Marvel fan, i recently started getting into some of the DC stuff but frankly DCs stuff aint that great, most anyways. Well to be fair lately is been getting better specially with their aquisition of better artsts which sadly most of the good ones started or found fame at Marvel.

ScarletSpider
I'm with you. I only recently got into DC with the Crisis and One Year Later stuff.

I didn't really like Infinite Crisis, it was good, but as a rule I don't find big ultra-cosmic reality altering stuff interesting. Cosmic stuff in the vein of Annihilation of Seven Soldiers I enjoy though, just not reboot button Crises-esque events.

The outcome's been enjoyable though with One Year Later providing a great hop-aboard point for just about every title. Some writers I follow just on general principle that their stuff is always enjoyable, which is why I read and knew about Seven Soldiers, Morrison just about always spins an interesting yarn--although there were a couple stinkers in the Seven Soldiers batch. And Gail Simone's been ripping it up with Birds of Prey and Villains United/Secret Six.

Mider
are they gonna do something with darkseid and the ALE

ScarletSpider
He might touch upon it, but a lot of what Morrison did was reimagine and invigorate flagging properties. I think most of the One shot will deal with the Sheeda.

Mider
yeah great darkseid jobbing to superman for another 20 years YAY tries not to vomit

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
I'm with you. I only recently got into DC with the Crisis and One Year Later stuff.

I didn't really like Infinite Crisis, it was good, but as a rule I don't find big ultra-cosmic reality altering stuff interesting. Cosmic stuff in the vein of Annihilation of Seven Soldiers I enjoy though, just not reboot button Crises-esque events.

The outcome's been enjoyable though with One Year Later providing a great hop-aboard point for just about every title. Some writers I follow just on general principle that their stuff is always enjoyable, which is why I read and knew about Seven Soldiers, Morrison just about always spins an interesting yarn--although there were a couple stinkers in the Seven Soldiers batch. And Gail Simone's been ripping it up with Birds of Prey and Villains United/Secret Six.

I started getting into DC stuff with Batman:Hush, Green Lantern Rebirth but specially Identity Crisis which was more of a localised event, I thought Infinite Crisis was going to be like it but they made it into a cosmic event which ruin it for me. I thin he recent 52 event is just "ok" but i feel that is a way to get more money outta readers. Thank god for torrents, big grin.

ScarletSpider
If it wasn't for torrents I wouldn't be reading 52. But Booster Gold's one of my favorite characters, I don't know why, and Black Adam is badass.

Darth Vicious
If it wasn't for torrents I wouldn't be reading 52. But Booster Gold's one of my favorite characters, I don't know why, and Black Adam is badass. roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin Me too. Im only following 52 through torrents. I dont like Booster Gold, he is an opportunist. I thought he was gonna get a chance to become a real super heroe but instead he is taking everyone for fools. It should be interesting whene everything gets reveal, IF it gets reveal. Black Adam is a badass, he reminds me of Namor.

ScarletSpider
I don't mind that Booster's a lecherous bastard, it's kind of interesting, something else besides the morally upstanding superheroics we see all the time.

R.O.T. Yahman

I havn't read it all yet , but its still up there with other Morisson works. What is the other book that Simon is doing at the moment ? smile

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin Me too. Im only following 52 through torrents. I dont like Booster Gold, he is an opportunist. I thought he was gonna get a chance to become a real super heroe but instead he is taking everyone for fools. It should be interesting whene everything gets reveal, IF it gets reveal. Black Adam is a badass, he reminds me of Namor.

Indeed, although i beleive he's more dangerous than Namor. A 52 esque marvel book, featuring its more creative writers and less known characters would work really well. smile

ScarletSpider
Simone is currently writing the Secret Six mini-series, and will be working on the upcoming Atom series.

I don't know about a Marvel 52, I think people would point fingers, saying Marvel is ripping DC off, which at that point, they honestly would be.

I'd like to see a return of Marvel Comics Presents or something, and if they had rotating creators and whatnot, they could make it bi-monthly or something.

grey fox
Is Frankenstein in it ?

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
A 52 esque marvel book, featuring its more creative writers and less known characters would work really well. smile

Actually no, it wouldnt be a good idea, Specially for collectors. I dont mind a big storyline that runs through the summer and maybe the fall but one that runs all year is pushing it and punishing ones pocket. When Identity Crisis came out, I loved it, 7 issues, not that many tie-ins and a conclussive finish, then comes Infinite Crisis which I was awaiting and honestly I thought it was gonna follow Identities formula but Noooo. They made a bunch of tie-ins, a bunch of mini-series, a non conclussive ending, After-Crisis one shots and the frosting on the cake, 52. Isnt that too much? Specially since I dont think Infinite Crisis was that good.

ScarletSpider
That's why I think a Marvel Premiere type book would work better (although we sort of have it in the current Marvel Team-Up). No huge overarching storyline running for 52 issues. Sometimes threads would be left and answered later, but nothing that required you to buy everything. A few issues would be devoted to what Cloak and Dagger have been up to recently, then the most recent exploits of Maximus the Mad against his brother Black Bolt, flash to Wonderman in Hollywood, etc. They would be self contained, except for the single tapestry of being set in the Marvel U, so sometimes events would effect one another, but if you didn't like Character X, well not buying the issues with him in it wouldn't hamper your enjoyment of the title overall.

Darth Vicious
That's why I think a Marvel Premiere type book would work better (although we sort of have it in the current Marvel Team-Up). No huge overarching storyline running for 52 issues. Sometimes threads would be left and answered later, but nothing that required you to buy everything. A few issues would be devoted to what Cloak and Dagger have been up to recently, then the most recent exploits of Maximus the Mad against his brother Black Bolt, flash to Wonderman in Hollywood, etc. They would be self contained, except for the single tapestry of being set in the Marvel U, so sometimes events would effect one another, but if you didn't like Character X, well not buying the issues with him in it wouldn't hamper your enjoyment of the title overall.

I wouldnt mind a book like that. They could use characters we havent seen in a while that arent nesesarily popular. I would like to see a storyline with Vengeance.

Juntai
Originally posted by grey fox
Is Frankenstein in it ? Frank is one of the seven soldiers and got a 4 parter. His book was probably the best, imo.

ScarletSpider
I enjoyed the Bulleteer a lot and the Manhattan Guardian. Some of the others were cool, but were kind of weird, so I wouldn't suggest them to a casual superhero fan.

Mr. Miracle missed the mark, as far as I'm concerened. Morrison tried to get too weird and failed.

Mider
i hope that they keep darkseid with the ALE and he just says BYE BYE DCU TIRED OF JOBBING TO SUPES SEE YA

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Actually no, it wouldnt be a good idea, Specially for collectors. I dont mind a big storyline that runs through the summer and maybe the fall but one that runs all year is pushing it and punishing ones pocket. When Identity Crisis came out, I loved it, 7 issues, not that many tie-ins and a conclussive finish, then comes Infinite Crisis which I was awaiting and honestly I thought it was gonna follow Identities formula but Noooo. They made a bunch of tie-ins, a bunch of mini-series, a non conclussive ending, After-Crisis one shots and the frosting on the cake, 52. Isnt that too much? Specially since I dont think Infinite Crisis was that good.

So you think the original Crisis is more, well written that the new one ? smile

Hardly .... the original Crisis is one over the most over hyped, convoluted , mediocre pieces of crap ive ever read. The thing took me literally 10 months to read. The dialogue is bad, the art is bland, and the story is overly complicated and generally full of plot holes. Its doesn't deliver half the fan boy moments, that even the first issue of the new crisis had. smile

R.O.T. Yahman
I enjoyed the Bulleteer a lot and the Manhattan Guardian. Some of the others were cool, but were kind of weird, so I wouldn't suggest them to a casual superhero fan.

Mr. Miracle missed the mark, as far as I'm concerened. Morrison tried to get too weird and failed.

I haven't read the M.M. book yet, but i really enjoyed the Witchboy and Zattana stuff (and im not usually big fan of anything with magic in it). I do agree that Morisson does have a slight tendecy to be overly weird, and i smoetimes feel you should double dropp pills to fully enjoy his dialogue, but overall there are few (With the exception of Warren Ellis) who can make the truley unrealistic enjoyable. I cant wait until his Authority run, and i would pay serious money for him to write the Avengers. smile

A.J
yahman is back rock

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Mider
i hope that they keep darkseid with the ALE and he just says BYE BYE DCU TIRED OF JOBBING TO SUPES SEE YA

Apparently him and the IMP have some major role to play in the not to distant future. I agree though he should be returned to a Silver age/King Thor/ Current Thanos level. Superman should not be able to easilly beat him, and the Omega effect should be unstoppable. smile

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by A.J
yahman is back rock

Good to see you A.J. hows it going mate ? smile

ScarletSpider
Witchboy was really neat, I loved all the Grundy stuff, and Teekl and all the other pets, familiars I think.

Zatanna was fun too, I loved Sook's art and the gathering of all the magicians and stuff was fun, interestingly he didn't create any of those characters but really plowed through some continuity to bring up some old names.

I hope Spyder and Vigilante stick around afterwards. I just like Vigilante and Spyder's one of those badass cool characters whom everyone's supposed to like, but with the slant that he used to be the biggest loser around, so it's a fun juxtaposition, plus I'd like to see him go up against some of the other archers.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
So you think the original Crisis is more, well written that the new one ? smile

Hardly .... the original Crisis is one over the most over hyped, convoluted , mediocre pieces of crap ive ever read. The thing took me literally 10 months to read. The dialogue is bad, the art is bland, and the story is overly complicated and generally full of plot holes. Its doesn't deliver half the fan boy moments, that even the first issue of the new crisis had. smile

No, u got me wrong. I didnt like either INFINITE Crisis, I dont like cosmic storylines. What I liked was IDENTITY Crisis,were Sue Dibny was killed. It was a mystery, It was a more interesting read, it was localized and it didnt have hundreds of tie ins but most importantly it showed why Batman is the greatest detective in the DCU.

Darth Vicious
I don't mind that Booster's a lecherous bastard, it's kind of interesting, something else besides the morally upstanding superheroics we see all the time.

Sweet, he already got exposed. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.