A merging scenario question I would appreciate advice on

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthsith19
I have a question. Earlier today I was driving on a street in the city and the street had 2 lanes. I was in the left lane and needed to turn right so I needed to merge into the right lane. There was a car next to me in the right lane and I believe 3 cars right behind him. My dad thought if I put on my right turn signal one of them would let me merge into the right lane, I didn't think so. When merging it is the merger who has to yield to the cars in the lane he or she wants to merge into, not the other way around. My dad thought they would be courtious and let me merge in. So I ask you, the wise people of KMC, what do you think? If I had turned on my signal to merge into the right lane when there were 4 cars next to me would one of them have let me in?

Sorry if any of that was confusing. Please give me your input.

darthsith19
Here's the scenaio again in case it was confusing the first time. I turned left at a stop light. I turned into the left lane. Then I had to turn right at the next street, therefor I needed to merge into the right lane. Next to me was a car and right behind that car was 3 more cars, making 4 total. My dad thinks that if I turned on my signal to merge one of the cars would have let me in. I doubted it, so I waited until the next street to turn. So the question is, would one of the cars stopped/slowed down so I could merge in? This is a common city street, not a freeway or a highway. Speed limit was, I think, 45 MPH.

-Tired Hiker-
It's hard to really have a solid answer for this. It all depends on the scenario, time of day, whose behind the wheel of the cars next to you, and so forth. What I usually to is make sure to change lanes well ahead of time to avoid things like this, however, depending on where you are going and where you are coming from, there sometimes isn't enough time to prevent this problem, which could have been your case. What I do sometimes is put my blinker on so the car next to me will hurry their ass up and pass me, cuz they are not sure if I see them or not and they don't want to get hit. That usually works for those cases where you only have one car in your way. Otherwise, you just have to be agressive and hit your blinker and merge right away when you see the gap. Don't leave the blinker on for too long before merging because people will just speed up and not let you in. Hope this makes sense. smile

darthsith19
Okay, I turned left at the stop light, though, and only had one block to merge and turn again. So I really had no time.

Anyone else?

darthsith19
confused

-Tired Hiker-
Originally posted by darthsith19
Anyone else?

It really doesn't look like it. no2

bogen
howcome you suck?

Bloigen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.