Darkside/Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
Which character has been written more competently??

Not a battle, dimwits!!

Just looking at the focus of each.

Thanos, never seems to be truly preoccupied with the heroes. Even, the most(arguably) powerful one in either universe.

Thanos actually came from Earth, iirc, but his many showings take place away from it, in the coldness of space.

Whereas Darkseid, seems to suffer from that thing, where he is focused on a singular character. Ie, Superman. And thus, Earth.

Darkseid went to the trouble, in OWAW of building the Aegis, for the sole purpose of Superman wearing it, just to inadvertently destroy the universe and laugh about it.

That, to me is utter tripe. Darkseid, bane of the universe is somewhere on Apokolips thinking about Superman?? Rather than pulling off great schemes like the GDS?? Get creative writers!!

Its almost as if, Marvel had Galactus sitting on his galaxy sized ship, thinking of ways to thwart Thor.....in return for the godblast debacle.
Its that below the conception of the character.

And this isn't a Darkseid bashing thread.
I find him to be vastly superior to Thanos in depth and drive, but he's suffered lately.
Alot.
Some people on other boards maintain that Superman going "all out" is infact, stronger than the guy! sick
Though it wouldn't bother me if he was, actually. I just hate to see the guy written like a teamwrecker.
If there was a whole arc, that took the heroes to their edge and they won the day, but not before he made a significant gain towards his ultimate goal, i'd be fine.
Darksied should never be beaten. Only thwarted.
If you can't tell the difference between the two, read more books of variety.

Private Pion
Originally posted by UniOmni
Darksied should never be beaten. Only thwarted.

You just summed up every problem with Jeph Loeb's writing.

UniOmni
Loeb didn't write Apok Now as well, did he??

OR what about Rock of Ages?? Wasn't that penned by the beloved G.Morrison?

Tron
Originally posted by UniOmni
Not a battle, dimwits!!

Well, since you explained that so politely, I'll just change the title so no one will be confused, and then move it to the Comic Books Forum, where it belongs.

The_Fury
Cool.

Solidus Snake
rock of ages was a creative destruction of darkseid.

darkseid should never be defeated physically barring them imploding a galaxy on him.

darkseid has been pussified

Darth Vicious
I dont like Darkseid. I think he is a cheap version of Apocalypse. IMO

Validus
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I dont like Darkseid. I think he is a cheap version of Apocalypse. IMO

blink

Accel
Originally posted by Validus
blink
Ditto.

roughrider
I see dimwits abound in here.

DV - Apocalypse came about 16 years AFTER Darkseid. It's the other way around, get it? roll eyes (sarcastic)

As for UniOmni - don't shoot your mouth off about dimwits, when you can't even spell. Darkside - it's DARKSEID.
Be prepared for some Omega Beams, fool.blowup

Mider
i have no idea how DC has no shame making a being who was powerful enough to harm the spectre, antimonitor, and servive the crisis, a being who moved planets with his mind, and controlled millions who where on supes level or near it i would think, how is it possible that they have downgraded him to this sad excuse that loses to superman, but of course they say its all been reconned and loses where due to avatars how do they explain the recent batman superman comic where he once again lost to superman, while darkseid gets weaker or seems to be if they plan on reconning it AGAIN........thanos seems to get stronger yet he was alwasy very powerful but where does marvel get the nerve to say that he would stand five seconds with odin? or even hang with tyrant with a second, then get smacked around by the magus? Such large gaps in continuity, he use to have trouble with surfer i mean A LITTLE trouble didnt he yet he servived with a few bruises after fighting with odin, odin was fresh as a daisy my point is shouldnt thanos have been fried to a crisp?

roughrider
Thanos only lived after facing Odin because he's incredibly durable - one of the best as an Eternal, having control over your molecules to a large extent - plus at that time, he was barred from entering Death's realm. ( Although if he's killed in Asgard, Odin could send him to Hel or Valhalla, couldn't he? shifty )
Still, Odin put some serious hurt on him. Marvel just likes to show off Thanos as a cool character, with these matches lately against Odin, Tyrant and Galactus.
I've never seen Darkseid at his best - he's just a powerful Superman villain, when he should be higher up the ladder as a foe to many heroes at once.

AcousticDoc
Darkseid gets punked by Batman. very sad...

Validus
Originally posted by AcousticDoc
Darkseid gets punked by Batman. very sad...
When was that? There's no need to make up facts to make DS look worse. DC does a fine job themselves.

R.O.T. Yahman
When was that? There's no need to make up facts to make DS look worse. DC does a fine job themselves.

He did out wit him. smile

R.O.T. Yahman
Id definitely say Thanos has accomplished a lot more, although i prefer the Darksied mthyology. smile

Takion
It's kind of true.

Takion
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Id definitely say Thanos has accomplished a lot more, although i prefer the Darksied mthyology. smile
I rather prefer DS.

I can give you the fact how he "actually" lost his battles. smile

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by roughrider
I see dimwits abound in here.

DV - Apocalypse came about 16 years AFTER Darkseid. It's the other way around, get it? roll eyes (sarcastic)

As for UniOmni - don't shoot your mouth off about dimwits, when you can't even spell. Darkside - it's DARKSEID.
Be prepared for some Omega Beams, fool.blowup

I still feel that Apoc is a better character. Darkseid has a freaking planet under his command and he cant take care of Superman. I think Darkseid for all that he is gets beaten a lot.

Validus
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I still feel that Apoc is a better character. Darkseid has a freaking planet under his command and he cant take care of Superman. I think Darkseid for all that he is gets beaten a lot.
DS loses to DC's golden boy. Apoc loses to unimpressive X-Men teams. Somewhat of a difference there.

Takion
Let's debug some anti-feat

A popular claim on the internet is that Doomsday just took a point/blank Omega blast and was fine, then proceeded to pound DS. In actuality, it was far from point/blank range. Also, the blast left him down long enough for Darkseid to walk over, make a speech, and walk away. In fact, he melted the rubble DD was buried under before he left and DD doesn't start moving again until after it's fully dried. Given the time it would take that ammount of molten matter to solidify, this implies he was down an entire minute or thereabouts IMO. It's not clear how much damage DD took, but I beleive it's clear that he was incapacitated and needed time to recover. I've included the last two relevent panels as individual scans, instead of the entire page, to draw proper attention to my point about the rubble

There's a common bit of board hype that says GL (Raker) deflected Darkseid's beams and had him at the mercy of a shovel or whatever in their second battle. This is blatantly not so. Their first, more conclusive fight aside, I'd like to give my take on this.

First, Raker catches 'Seid slightly unawares with his speed and lifts him into the air with a weapon of war. Now, notice there's no visible damage. If a war weapon can't hurt DS, why would anyone think the shovel would've? Anyway, afterwards Raker tries to stop the Omega Beams before they form by containing 'Seid's charging eyes. Notice that, in the only definitive power match of thise fight, the Omega Force quickly bursts the ring's energy, sending them sprawling. They trade blows for one panel. Then Raker grabs a shovel. What's often overlooked is that, on the panel with the shovel raised, 'Seid is not only starting to rise, but he has Omega Force charging in his eyes. Before we can see what would've happened, the Guardians put a bubble around DS, and he stands down. What would logicially have triumphed if they didn't interfere, though? Omega Beams or a shovel? Personally, while I beleive Raker held his own in this brief battle, I also beleive it was about to come to an abrupt end for him if not for the blue guys.

Now check what happens between Darkseid and The Guardians. 'Seid does feel it's best to not war with them, but he's confident enough to demand a peace offering for it to happen -- namely Raker as a slave. The Guardians agree to this and even erase the day from their record books to save face. Now, if The Guardians were so much more powerful than Darkseid that they could've easily overpowered him and just taken their GLs back, why didn't they? Seems to imply to me something about how close he is to an Oan. Also, notice what Darkseid's servants do to Raker. Honestly, would that ever happen to DS himself?

Anyone who beleives the shovel wouldn't have been disentegrated by Omega Beams must also beleive that the shovel is tougher than a GL power battery, given what happened in the same issue

http://img447.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gl80pggnt309nastynat5mp.jpg

The Orion vs. Darkseid Walter Simonson fight has been used as a low-end 'Seid showing before. This was done in the form of "honorable warrior's combat"; IOW strictly HTH, though at the end DS cheated to throw the fight. Orion actually does get ahead on points before DS throws it. Nonetheless, parts like the slap-aside at the beginning make 'Seid look to be the stronger of the two, IMO. Anyway, something to note about this fight is that both combatants are fighting like hardcore martial artists, relying on speed and skill the entire time

http://www.comixtreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23730&highlight=Darkseid+respect+thread

Takion
Darkseid's gotten a lot of flak for his two losses to Superman and how recent they were. While I won'teven try to defend the jobfest that was Apokolips Now, S/B#12-13 gets exaggerated IMO. Up until WW teleported in by surprise to deflect his beams into his face, then the fight was taken near the sun, I beleive Darkseid had Superman well in-hand. A Darkseid sucker-punch, and Supergirl risks her life to sheild Supes. A Superman sucker-punch, followed by a flying bumrush, and 'Seid just shrugs it off, backhands Supes down, and this time WW steps in and risks her life to save Supes. I beleive the way the fight was panning out on Earth implies that, without his beams hitting his face and without Supes' sun-amp, DS would've won the fight.

bigbran
actully darkseid is stronger than supes. you know why, because supes throws his speed into his punches, and darkseid just punches. if darkseid had speed he would be putting supes in the hospital every second supes issue.

Mider
no darkseid just jobs, darkseid has shruged off his punches before like supes was a nobody.

bigbran
no im saying that supes throws every thing into his punches, darkseid cant really.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.