Custom Guitar Shoppe Talk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scythe
Alright, this thread is pretty much to talk about nothing else but customized guitars, or health tips for that matter. Custom guitars your talking about must be described, as well as a piccy too. Those without a custom guitar, post up your dream guitar, what shape would it be in? What type of pick-ups, electronics? so on, so on...

Here's my run down, Custom Gibson Explorer trans Red body, fixed with a maple bolt on neck designed by Epiphone. Floyd Rose tremolo, and Seymour Duncan invaders. I'll put up a pic later....

Coming soon, Custom Bat-Raven black Jackson Warrior with EMGHZ pick-ups, black hardware and licensed floyd rose tremolo.

Pic will be up when I get it.

Scythe
Also, for those people who asked me about their strap button coming off, here's a quick rundown at what you can do to help you out with that.

The question these dudes PMed me was:

"My strap button came literaly off my guitar, and if I screw it back in, it just keeps sliding off, how can I fix this? Should I use a longer screw?"

Okay, here's what you do, don't use a long screw, it might cause a crack in the guitars body. Take a few toothpicks, and break them into smaller pieces. Once you do that, take off your strap, and unscrew the screw in there. Pull everything out, then start stuffing the hole with those pieces of toothpicks, if you want, you could dip them in carpenters glue to make them stay longer, but you better have a good strap on there if you have one. Now, once you've filled the hole to the rim with the pieces of toothpicks, make sure none of them stick out, then take the screw, along with the strap, and any ring or washer you might have, and start driving the screw into the hole with the toothpicks, creating a new hole out of the wood from the picks, it'll mend, and you'll be good to go, and more questions, PM me. Hope that helps you guys.

Also. have you guys tried substituting regular washers for strap locks, they cost a quarter, strap locks cost more...

jaden101
my dream custom guitar is the one in my sig

its a taylor t5 custom blueburst maple although it isnt the dual top mounted humbucker version which i would prefer

jaden101
oh...and my esteve classical is a custom hand built job...solid rosewood with ebony fingerboard on a reinforced neck and unique fan bracing

jaden101

Scythe

Scythe
Well, I know I posted this up in the other guitar thread, but I need young musicians to take this into consideration, so here are two tips, one old, one new.

Just a reminder people, for those that care. If your in a metal band, or any band for that matter who likes to detune, please make it a standard to play your guitars fixed with a baritone neck. Guitars weren't made to be dropped that low, and for those with a good ear, you will start to sound out of tune past the seventh, or twelve fret, trust me.

For those guitar nuts who have troublesome Floating tremolo systems, heres a tip you might know, but I've met a few people who don't know, so here goes.

To speed up the process of re-stringing a guitar with a floating tremolo, try re-stringing backwards. Meaning don't cut off the string's balls, just insert them from the top, pull, and place them as normal. Tighten the string block, and start winding. It does save time, and it's pretty much the same thing. For those people who purchase strings with a thin edge near the point, just trim that piece with a string-cutter, and re-string backwards like I just mentioned.

Scythe
Small tid-bit, Radioshack brand electric dust cleaner works awesome on electric guitars. It's the only spray I've noticed doesn't mess with your guitar's paint job.

Also, don't use compressed air people, that just doesn't work...

Scythe
Here is my guitar collection.

My first wife, The Strifer-Zero in all her glory!

Scythe
Another beauty shot of her...

Scythe
This is my bastard son of a guitar, I call him, Thee Autobot...

Notice my sweet pimp ass trucker hat with an autobot symbol and a pentagram behind it.

Scythe
A closer look at Thee Autobot, and my black and red amp...

jaden101
Originally posted by Scythe
A closer look at Thee Autobot, and my black and red amp...

i'm liking that...very nice indeed...

Scythe
My MD acoustic/electric.

jaden101
i'll stick up my next additions to be added soon

the aforementioned telecaster

Scythe
Sorry, I forgot to note, Thee Autobot is a Fender second hand strat with exclusive Jazz pick-ups I won in a raffle.

Anyways, here's my Mexican hand built Nylon String guitar I helped biuld. Her name is Kate.

jaden101
and a dean resonator is also on my want list

Scythe
Nice.

Scythe
Resonators are quite exclusive down here.

Scythe
Hope to get one of these sometime in the near future.

guitar dude 69
my dream custom guitar would be a usa jackson RR1 with original floyd rose tremolo red with black custom flames and EMG 81 in the bridge and EMG 85 in the neck

Scythe
Nice, I used to own one of those, good times. Neckthru body design?

guitar dude 69
yep the very same

Scythe
Truly great. What's really getting to me is the prices. Going from a bolt on neck, to a NTB design raises most guitars price almost more then double, that really steams me.

guitar dude 69
especially on a custom jackson they are expensive as it is

guitar dude 69
and with the custom flame spray job they are not cheap to start with

Scythe
A custom paint job won't make the guitar feel any better like a NTB design, those things are just wonderful.

Scythe
Originally posted by guitar dude 69
yep the very same

I'de love to see a picture of your custom Jackson if you can put one up.

Darth Jello
Ok, so my dream guitar is very close to perfection. Basically my plan is to get a lefty sonic blue Japanese reissue 69' Fender Mustang. I'm going to replace the bridge with a slightly modified version from warmouth which is better for heavy gauge strings. I'm then going to replace the bridge pickup with a Seymour duncan ST59-1 little 59 Telecaster pickup (a single size humbucker) but am at a loss as to what kind of single coil to replace the neck pickup with.
I play mostly surf and punk with occasional heavier stuff. Now noise is not an issue since Mustangs pickup selectors are basically two switches with three-way in/off/out positions so playing out of phase cancels noise. Any suggestions?

and just for the hell of it, my favorite guitars-
1. Fender Mustang
2. Fender Jaguar
3. Eastwood HiFlyer
4. Eastwood HiFlyer Baritone
5. Fender Jaguar Baritone
6. Gibson SG
7. Danilectro Electric 12-string
8. Fender Bass VI
9. Fender Jaguar Bass
10. Fender Jazzmaster

Scythe
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Ok, so my dream guitar is very close to perfection. Basically my plan is to get a lefty sonic blue Japanese reissue 69' Fender Mustang. I'm going to replace the bridge with a slightly modified version from warmouth which is better for heavy gauge strings. I'm then going to replace the bridge pickup with a Seymour duncan ST59-1 little 59 Telecaster pickup (a single size humbucker) but am at a loss as to what kind of single coil to replace the neck pickup with.
I play mostly surf and punk with occasional heavier stuff. Now noise is not an issue since Mustangs pickup selectors are basically two switches with three-way in/off/out positions so playing out of phase cancels noise. Any suggestions?

and just for the hell of it, my favorite guitars-
1. Fender Mustang
2. Fender Jaguar
3. Eastwood HiFlyer
4. Eastwood HiFlyer Baritone
5. Fender Jaguar Baritone
6. Gibson SG
7. Danilectro Electric 12-string
8. Fender Bass VI
9. Fender Jaguar Bass
10. Fender Jazzmaster

Nice.

Schecter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/andthentherewhere2.jpg

the schecters. wish i could combine them into my own perfect guitar

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/acoustic.jpg

the acoustic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/guitars.jpg

the bass (plus the blue piece of shit with a warped neck that i gave away)

vanice
It would be nice if it was possible to make a good "all-in-one" guitar. Like a stratocaster shaped semi-acoustic with tremolo and string lock (sorry for using bad English, I'm not very good at guitar terminology since I'm normally speaking Swedish stick out tongue) A floating mini humbuker at the neck, single coil in the middle and a emg mike next to the bridge. separate volume controls.
Probably wouldn't work but it would be nice.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Schecter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/guitars.jpg

the bass (plus the blue piece of shit with a warped neck that i gave away) I got the same bass as you in the five string version.

Schecter
so what, you think you're better than me?

teeheevin

Nellinator
Originally posted by Schecter
so what, you think you're better than me? Yes... plus I have one more string on my bass for those of us that are counting.

amity75
I put this together over the winter, I got the plain wooden body off ebay and unfortunately I couldn't make it exactly like Eddie Van Halens because the bath size hole that had been routed out of the body meant I had to partially cover it with a scratchplate once I'd painted it. It's a warmoth neck and I put a Kramer logo on it to make it look more "official" and I treated myself to a Floyd Rose and as soon as I get bigger balls I'm gona rout out the neck to fit the locking nut. The pickups are standard strat ones I already had. It sounds great and is a lot of fun to play and it was great peeling off the masking tape once I'd painted it.

Nellinator
I'm ordering one but they quoted it at $8500... hmm... I'm gonna need to redesign, maybe drop the custom inlays and downgrade the wood a little... Custom guitars are so finicky.

Schecter
Originally posted by amity75
I put this together over the winter, I got the plain wooden body off ebay and unfortunately I couldn't make it exactly like Eddie Van Halens because the bath size hole that had been routed out of the body meant I had to partially cover it with a scratchplate once I'd painted it. It's a warmoth neck and I put a Kramer logo on it to make it look more "official" and I treated myself to a Floyd Rose and as soon as I get bigger balls I'm gona rout out the neck to fit the locking nut. The pickups are standard strat ones I already had. It sounds great and is a lot of fun to play and it was great peeling off the masking tape once I'd painted it.

thats beautiful. did you see the new evh fender?

Nellinator
Originally posted by amity75
I put this together over the winter, I got the plain wooden body off ebay and unfortunately I couldn't make it exactly like Eddie Van Halens because the bath size hole that had been routed out of the body meant I had to partially cover it with a scratchplate once I'd painted it. It's a warmoth neck and I put a Kramer logo on it to make it look more "official" and I treated myself to a Floyd Rose and as soon as I get bigger balls I'm gona rout out the neck to fit the locking nut. The pickups are standard strat ones I already had. It sounds great and is a lot of fun to play and it was great peeling off the masking tape once I'd painted it. It's pretty sweet that you are doing it yourself.

Scythe
Good job Amity.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.