A comet hitting the earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
this is what would happen apparently

http://www.ursispaltenstein.ch/blog/weblog.php?/weblog/more/meteorite_collision/

JacopeX
that wuz cool big grin

Alliance
First of all...it was a metoerite.

Secondly...meteorites arent molten in space...I think that says something abou the credibility of that animation.

WrathfulDwarf
Things will always fall from the sky.....nothing new.

JacopeX
Like bird poop big grin

WrathfulDwarf
Among other things....yeah...big grin

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Deano
this is what would happen apparently

Originally posted by Alliance

Secondly...meteorites arent molten in space...I think that says something abou the credibility of that animation.

Once again, one of Deano's thoroughly researched investigations (basically the copy and pasting of web addresses or passages from conspiracy sites) proves to be, once again, full of crap.

Deano
chill out. im not a scientist. the video was cool so i posted it.

idiot.

JacopeX
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Once again, one of Deano's thoroughly researched investigations (basically the copy and pasting of web addresses or passages from conspiracy sites) proves to be, once again, full of crap. What else have things been as said "Full of crap" Anyways? I be hearin all that Deano belives anythin.

Alpha Centauri
It was a pretty decent video if drastically inaccurate.

Damn Japanese, always have to go a bit over the top. They can't have a regular asteroid, they have to have a moon-sized one.

-AC

JacopeX

idiot. why not the OTF man

Deano
i wanted to post it here man

Deano
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It was a pretty decent video if drastically inaccurate.

Damn Japanese, always have to go a bit over the top. They can't have a regular asteroid, they have to have a moon-sized one.

-AC

thats the japs for ya. like the football team. coudnt of had a japanese manager, had to go for a brazilian

KharmaDog

idiot.

Not a scientist? I'm sure you surprised the entire board with that one.

And you post things like that to either panic people or get a reaction.

And once again, I thought that you didn't insult people? You are so full of crap that you should be made to carry a shovel and a ream of plaastic bags wherever you walk.

Deano

And once again, I thought that you didn't insult people? You are so full of crap that you should be made to carry a shovel and a ream of plaastic bags wherever you walk.

i posted it because it was cool. not to scare people. you assume to much and think so little.

i called you an idiot because you are acting like one. you have started an argument for this simple reason...i started this thread,
that makes you an idiot.

i said that i never go into a thread with the intention of insulting, like you did when you saw my name on this thread. ive told you this before. maybe you should listen.

now run along little one

amity75
Pesky Japanese.

Mindship
cool

KharmaDog
i posted it because it was cool. not to scare people. you assume to much and think so little.

Whatever.

now run along little one

Oh, Deano, you can do better than that, you could wish that I was dead again, that nevver gets old.

jaden101

idiot.

indeed the video was cool...very...

The Pict
shocking
man i hope something like that never happens. scary.

outlaw_4_life
moes gay!

Mindship
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,201355,00.html

Deano
some say a comet will fall from the sky, followed by meteor showers and tidal waves, followed by fault lines that cannot sit still, followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits...some say the end is near
- tool

big grin

Dregh2

STFU, who do you think you are? He just posted a video, he didn't say he discovered AIDS cure or anything, so don't insult.

Mei Amor

And once again, I thought that you didn't insult people? You are so full of crap that you should be made to carry a shovel and a ream of plaastic bags wherever you walk. Get a reaction? You're insulting him to get a reaction. no expression

PVS
notice it hits north america.

DarkC
Originally posted by PVS
notice it hits north america.
A giant toss of the dice and America's the first to go.

PVS
hey, at least we die quickly. the rest of you poor shmucks have to wait it out a bit

Mei Amor
Originally posted by PVS
notice it hits north america. They hate the Americans. laughing out loud

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Dregh2
STFU, who do you think you are?

I could say the same to you.

He just posted a video, he didn't say he discovered AIDS cure or anything, so don't insult.

Deano's posting history involves posting cut and paste articles or addresses, that contain little or no regard at all for facts or reality, then claiming that everyone is an idiot for not agreeing with him that the facts that he just displayed are gospel. I was just pointing out, that once again, whether it is cool or not, he posted a link that (as Alliance pointed out) has little or no credibility.

As for you commenting as to me me not insulting someone, you began your post with "STFU", so your point is disregarded.

Originally posted by Mei Amor
Get a reaction? You're insulting him to get a reaction. no expression

I posted an observation (that if you care to peruse the conspiracy thread) on a members posting history that flagrantly disregards fact or plausibility for the sake of grandstanding and misrepresentation.

I did not post to get a reaction, nor did I insult him. I made the comment that his posts are "full of crap" (in the area of both scientific thought and common sense) and I stand by that coment.

DarkC
Originally posted by PVS
hey, at least we die quickly. the rest of you poor shmucks have to wait it out a bit
Yeah. Have fun pissing your pants in fear anticipating the Apocalpyse, crazy Japs.
I could say the same to you.

Deano's posting history involves posting cut and paste articles or addresses, that contain little or no regard at all for facts or reality, then claiming that everyone is an idiot for not agreeing with him that the facts that he just displayed are gospel. I was just pointing out, that once again, whether it is cool or not, he posted a link that (as Alliance pointed out) has little or no credibility.

As for you commenting as to me me not insulting someone, you began your post with "STFU", so your point is disregarded.

I posted an observation (that if you care to peruse the conspiracy thread) on a members posting history that flagrantly disregards fact or plausibility for the sake of grandstanding and misrepresentation.

I did not post to get a reaction, nor did I insult him. I made the comment that his posts are "full of crap" (in the area of both scientific thought and common sense) and I stand by that coment.
Is it possible to voice your opinion on the credibility of this thread (or lack of) without any bias relating to anything Deano has done in the past? Let's just focus on the thread topic at the moment and not the thread maker.

I'm sorry, but the first post you made in this thread looked an awful lot like trolling.

PVS
he DID say that this is what would happen....and its a cartoon...

if i posted a star wars video of a ship hitting hyperspace and said "apparently this is how we will travel light speed"...would you consider that a smart statement?

KharmaDog
Originally posted by DarkC
Is it possible to voice your opinion on the credibility of this thread (or lack of) without any bias relating to anything Deano has done in the past? Let's just focus on the thread topic at the moment and not the thread maker.

Fair enough. I agree with Alliance's observations. I believe that though it may be a cool video, the inconsistencies make it pointless.

I'm sorry, but the first post you made in this thread looked an awful lot like trolling.

No need to be sorry. No trolling was intended. I thought it a valid point that a member continually posts erroneous info and sites whether it be for entertainment or the advancement of a personal agenda. If that poiint is missed, my apologies, but I still stand by the intent.

DarkC
Originally posted by PVS
he DID say that this is what would happen....and its a cartoon...

if i posted a star wars video of a ship hitting hyperspace and said "apparently this is how we will travel light speed"...would you consider that a smart statement?
Nah, he said that this is what would happen, 'apparently'; that single word should probably imply that he didn't do any research.

Nonetheless, very interesting video. Chances of a moon-sized object smacking into Earth is pretty damn slim though.

PVS
Nah, he said that this is what would happen, 'apparently'; that single word should probably imply that he didn't do any research.

neither did i. if i tell you that i can flap my arms really really hard and fly, do you need to do research to know i'm full of shit? stick out tongue

DarkC
Originally posted by PVS
neither did i. if i tell you that i can flap my arms really really hard and fly, do you need to do research to know i'm full of shit? stick out tongue
Do you have thin, hollow bones? Feathers? Spongy brain? Powerful arm muscles?

No? Okay. stick out tongue

PVS
Do you have thin, hollow bones? Feathers? Spongy brain? Powerful arm muscles?

No? Okay. stick out tongue

yes i do.

check and mate

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance

I tend to agree, the thing in the animation looked more like a planetesimal. Didn't have meteor characteristics, nor size and so on. Still wasn't such a bad animation, reminded me a bit of the attacks on shows like DBZ, only looked a lot better. I could almost imagine some little Japanese guy at the bottom shouting "Buoken!!!" or something.

But anyway, video aside, Earth has been hit by large bits of celestial debris before, and scientists have stated again and again what such an impact can do.

PVS
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Still wasn't such a bad animation, reminded me a bit of the attacks on shows like DBZ, only looked a lot better.
lol

:edit: ok, i didnt lol...i snickered

The Omega
STFU, who do you think you are? He just posted a video, he didn't say he discovered AIDS cure or anything, so don't insult.

With the thread title "A comet hitting Earth." You're new here, aren't you? Go vist the conspiracy thread, please.

The_Fury
Giant Meteor hits Earth.We all die.Martians have a big laugh.

PVS
ZOMG METEOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs out and buys david icke books*

Meus Amor
Originally posted by PVS
ZOMG METEOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs out and buys david icke books* Because meteor hitting Earth scenarios exist only in his mind. roll eyes (sarcastic)

PVS
well, lets see. earth has existed for billions of years. in that time countless meteors have impacted the surface. and in that time, not once has the surface of the earth turned to frikin lava. the worst a meteor has ever done was mass climate shift, which sucks for all living things, but amounts to little more than a mosquito bite as far as the planet's concerned. so, yes. this scenario only exists in his mind. erm

Meus Amor
Originally posted by PVS
well, lets see. earth has existed for billions of years. in that time countless meteors have impacted the surface. and in that time, not once has the surface of the earth turned to frikin lava. the worst a meteor has ever done was mass climate shift, which sucks for all living things, but amounts to little more than a mosquito bite as far as the planet's concerned. so, yes. this scenario only exists in his mind. erm David Icke financed them Japaneese?

PVS
as AC jokingly put it, japanese animators love to go way over the top. so instead of a rock, they threw a molten moon at the planet just to say "i wonder what it would look like if the impossible happened" . and it looks really cool, but so does alot of ridiculously exagerated animation to come out of japan. KAME!!!! HAME!!!! HAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! stick out tongue

The Omega
Originally posted by PVS
ZOMG METEOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs out and buys david icke books*

laughing

Meus Amor
Originally posted by PVS
as AC jokingly put it, japanese animators love to go way over the top. so instead of a rock, they threw a molten moon at the planet just to say "i wonder what it would look like if the impossible happened" . and it looks really cool, but so does alot of ridiculously exagerated animation to come out of japan. KAME!!!! HAME!!!! HAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! stick out tongue

eek!

KidRock
Awesome. It looked like the dealth star at the end.

smoker4
What is this dealth star you speak of?

Deano
the star of many many deaths. i hope that answered your question sir

PVS
well, it seems 'dealth' is an obsolete old-english noun meaning 'share dealt'. i must ponder this further.

smoker4
The share dealt star of many deaths, the name alone frightens me

KidRock
Originally posted by smoker4
What is this dealth star you speak of?

Typo.

Mindship
Originally posted by PVS
well, lets see. earth has existed for billions of years. in that time countless meteors have impacted the surface. and in that time, not once has the surface of the earth turned to frikin lava. the worst a meteor has ever done was mass climate shift, which sucks for all living things, but amounts to little more than a mosquito bite as far as the planet's concerned. so, yes. this scenario only exists in his mind. erm
Actually, a leading theory today on the origin of the Moon is that about 4.3 gigayears ago, a Mars-sized planetesimal struck the young Earth, smashed up a good portion of the crust pretty good, sending loads of debris into space, which eventually aggregated in orbit to form our natural satellite.

This theory is supported by the similarity between the composition of moon rocks and the Earth's crust, and also that the Moon has no differentiated core like the Earth.

This depiction of the impact is from one of the many sites on this theory. As all can see, this impactor is much bigger than the one in that darlin' movie.

The Black Ghost
You would think there would be some reminiscent of that in the present day world though with a crater that size, even if the terrain rearanged?

PVS
Originally posted by Mindship
Actually, a leading theory today on the origin of the Moon is that about 4.3 gigayears ago, a Mars-sized planetesimal struck the young Earth, smashed up a good portion of the crust pretty good, sending loads of debris into space, which eventually aggregated in orbit to form our natural satellite.

This theory is supported by the similarity between the composition of moon rocks and the Earth's crust, and also that the Moon has no differentiated core like the Earth.

This depiction of the impact is from one of the many sites on this theory. As all can see, this impactor is much bigger than the one in that darlin' movie.

yes, but doesnt this theory also answer to the theory that at that time the solar system was complete chaos and collisions were a constant occurance? even then, we only got hit once...if the theory is true. so what are the chances now?

Mindship
Originally posted by PVS
yes, but doesnt this theory also answer to the theory that at that time the solar system was complete chaos and collisions were a constant occurance? even then, we only got hit once...if the theory is true. so what are the chances now?

Yes, this was when the Solar System was new and forming, with all kinds of nasty things zipping around. The chances of a Mars-sized body hitting now are virtually nil.

However...there is that asteroid, Ceres, which is about 600 miles in diameter (the "comet" in the movie at the start of this thread reminded me of a hot Ceres). It's not classified as a dangerous object, as far as we can tell...but, the Solar System is a big and often unpredictable place, and there are other very big rocks too, not just Ceres.

And this doesn't even begin to touch on the Oort Cloud, where being able to predict being hit by an actual comet is also virtually nil due to immense orbital periods. At least with asteroids from the Belt, we are dealing with much smaller, more predictable orbital periods. There could a huge comet out there, with an orbital period of 10,000 years, with our name on it. shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.