Gates of Fire (Steven Pressfield)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Anyone read this book?

I'm nearly finished with it and I think it's really, really good.

It's historical fiction, and it is about the battle of Thermopylae, where the vastly outnumbered Spartans fought against the Persians.

Anyway, discuss the novel here.

GO!

smokin'

SnakeEyes
BUMP!

Has anyone read this novel?

Azure
I know this is random and no one knows me, but my goal is to spread the word.......there will be a Dragonlance movie in 2007! (don't bother flaming me, because will most likely never see it)

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
BUMP!

Has anyone read this novel?

Read it twice... Awesome book.

SnakeEyes
About time for another bump.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Azure
I know this is random and no one knows me, but my goal is to spread the word.......there will be a Dragonlance movie in 2007! (don't bother flaming me, because will most likely never see it) F*ck off.

Havent read it. Its the book about the 300 Spartans right?

Kid Kurdy
I read it. Good book, good story, no complaints.

RedAlertv2
Just put it on hold

SnakeEyes
Cool. And yeah, it is indeed the book on the 300 Spartans.

Probably the best fiction (or non-fiction for that matter) that I've read on the event.

Council#13
I've got it, and I'm going to read it after the book I'm currently reading. woot

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Council#13
I've got it, and I'm going to read it after the book I'm currently reading. woot

Cool cool

Let us know what you think, man.

I bet you'll like it.

Council#13
Cool cool

Let us know what you think, man.

I bet you'll like it.

laughing out loud I bet I will! eek!

Council#13
Oopsies daisies, I forgot to tell you all what I thought. embarrasment

Well, it was a very good book. A lot less fighting than I would've expected, and an odd way of depicting the aftermath of battles. A lot of books don't mention the emotion that might course through the combantants or.... well, I think you all know what I mean. smile

ragesRemorse
Anyone read this book?

I'm nearly finished with it and I think it's really, really good.

It's historical fiction, and it is about the battle of Thermopylae, where the vastly outnumbered Spartans fought against the Persians.

Anyway, discuss the novel here.

GO!

smokin'

not my afvorite of his, but yeah its good read and nice mixture of historical accuracy and fiction. I like the angle he took in telling the story, the perspective of a surviving spartan

jaden101
very good dramatization of the events...i'm currently reading "thermopylae" by Paul Cartledge...its more historically accurate but less dramatic...

leonidas
one of my favourites, and i actually think it is HIS best by quite a long ways. i liked a couple of his others, but wasn't thrilled with them. gates of fire i've read 3 times. smile

Jim Reaper
Who's your favorites? Mine are Polynikes and Rooster.

leonidas
leonidas, naturally. smile

SnakeEyes
Polynikes, Dienekes, and Leonidas were awesome.

Jim Reaper
Polynikes was such an a-hole, but he was a total badass.

mud_blood_princ
I was going to read it, but i watched the movie 300 instead, is it better then the movie?

SnakeEyes
In my opinion, it is a lot better than 300.

300 was great, don't get me wrong, but it was pure entertainment.

Gates of Fire is much more in-depth, and overall a ton better, in my opinion.

leonidas
Originally posted by mud_blood_princ
I was going to read it, but i watched the movie 300 instead, is it better then the movie?

actually, i don't think there is any comparison. the movie was ok, imo, the book is unbelieveable.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.