Superman Returns Movie Review...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam Warlock
I saw the 10:00pm show last night.

Not bad.

I give it a 7 out of 10.

They could of used more of Superman's enemies.

This movie could go on to gross a few hundred million. I don't think it's beating Spiderman's record though. But it was all right.

maddani
my review of your review
i give it a one out of ten it does have the word superman in it smile
just kiddin give us details!

MattDay
no spoilers... but anywho it got 5 out of 5 by the majority, so it's got good odds that you'll like this film when you see it! considering this is a near restart, more of a refresh im counting this as the first of the new superman films, it'll do better than the first spiderman film and the sequel will do better than the second spiderman film.

What an amazing movie, i saw the advanced screening at 10 last night and i'm seeing it again tonight at 7 cause i knew it would live and surpass all my expectations. And i was not disappointed; finally a comic book movie comes along which delivers in all areas. The perfect amount of action scenes, perfect amount of love scenes, perfect amount of reflection/emotional scenes, and i love how singer used religious imagery throughout the film (the obvious jesus references, and imo one of the coolest scenes is him holding up the earth mimicking atlas). All of the religious themes really make superman into an epic character, which he deserves, something that other superhero movies have been lacking. Watching this movies was like a religious experience for me (being i'm not religious). Superman returns to me is like passion of the christ for some christians. It's just that epic imo.
As for a specific scene which is my favorite, for me it's a no-brainer; {spoiler} the scene after he lifts the continent into space and is so weaken from it that he just faints and falls back down to earth. I loved it how everyone in the city is just watching him fall slowly down to earth and afterwards they take him to the hospitle. Singer made a great choice by putting this scene in the movie cause it shows Superman weakened, something we never see (unless there's kryptonite).
A lot of people don't like superman as a superhero because they feel that his powers make him completely invulnerable and therefore boring but by Singer putting this scene in the movie it humanized him and it's important to note that when i was watching this scene, everyone in the theatre (including me) was general concerned for this character (like the people up on screen). It was such an emotional scene that for the second time in the movie (the first being when he is getting beat down by lex's men) made superman "real."

This movie is the greatest movie of all time for me. I love superhero movies and this surpasses Spiderman 1 and 2 and even Batman Begins for me. My hat goes off to Bryan Singer who not only directed it but co-wrote it. Brandon routh played Superman perfectly and paid homage to Christopher Reeves as Clark Kent. I thought including James Marsden in the film was a great touch and the kid, well that's prettty self-explanatory. Kate bosworth was also great. Aight this was a really long review but i loved this movie.

maddani
thats a review !

((The_Anomaly))
Awesome! stuff 113!

I'm seeing it tonight at 10 with my gf. I'm sure I'll prolly feel the same way about it as you.

I cant wait!

BackFire
I really enjoyed it, a little slow at times but it was still engaging and fun to watch. Kevin Spacey was great and the new guy as Superman did well.

Adam Warlock
Originally posted by BackFire
I really enjoyed it, a little slow at times but it was still engaging and fun to watch. Kevin Spacey was great and the new guy as Superman did well.

It was a little slow at times. The end was a little slow and anticlimactic but it was all right I enjoyed it.

H. S. 6
The movie was very, very well done. I'm definitely seeing it again!

RUNMAN
you better...

BlaxicanTroller
Originally posted by BackFire

Yeah I think Kevin Spacey really did his part well, and that played SUperman looked so much like Reeves did when he played Superman, you almost can't tell the differance.

Rockinluc
I loved the movie, and I loved the Actors they got to play all the roles. Kevin Spacey is a GREAT Lex Luthor, and Brandon Routh as superman/clark kent was the best choice since Christopher reeves. I went into the movie with mediocore expectations and came out astonished. It was very well written and combined enough emotional scenes and dialouge with the action to keep every type of movie goer entrhalled. I went with three friends who had never seen any of the originals and knew little to nothing of superman. They were very pleased at the end of the movie. Although next time I'm not drinking so much pop. A movie thats almost three hours isn't good to hold it in for smile

xkalybr
LOVED Superman Returns.

Superman I is still the best superhero movie ever made.

Juntai
Awesome I'm going to see it later today. From what I gather they're about to begin work on the next one soon, apperently the actors signed on with 'possibility of 3 movies'.

GODOFALL1
Great movie. Something missing though.......But gotta love it when he moves a continent!!

SupezM'
He didnt fall back to earth due to exhaustion from lifting the continent, the continent was practically made of Kryptonite and he lifted the entire thing into space.

It drained his powers and bam he's in space with drained powers, no air.

C-Dic
I've had some time to think about it, and I think "Returns" was pretty much garbage. The plot was ludicrous, there was no natural charisma, Spacey LOOKED good as Luther, as did Routh as Superman, but they lacked pretty much all the mannerisms that made the characters who they were. In fact, Superman himself had VERY little screen time, and when he was on, it was to save somebody from something. Not only that, but the showdown between Luthor and Supes was so...****ing..WEEEEAK!

Atleast it had the "Spider-man 3" trailer, which kicked my ass ten ways to Tuesday.

supremthor
^^^ no movies is perfect there's always gonna be that person who hates it... me i loved the movie... he looked so freaking cool when he was flying down in his fortres.. with the shadows he almost looked like the KC superman for a min.

WrathfulDwarf
To make it short and sweet:

My impressions of the Superman Returns were good. I like the idea of continuation in the franchise rather than a relaunch the origin of Superman. This is a good idea specially since the Batman franchise recently was revive. Good idea for WB to not repeat the same with Superman. What I didn't like about the continuation of the franchise and still oppose is the death of Jonathan Kent. He is a key character in the mythology of Superman. There is NO reason to have kill the character. No matter how emotional the original made to be. It's ashame not have such a key character in the movie franchise.

Director Singer was not my first choice...but he's not such a bad choice. In fact! I'm glad he took over this project and completely avoided the X-men franchise third installment. His work on Superman Returns practically puts to shame over the two previous Xmen movies. Which as I always I have said Marvel Comics movies practically SUCK! (yeah, so much for fanboyism?) The only good movie based on a Marvel Comics character is Conan: The barbarian...and that was back in the 80's.

Actor Brandon Routh doesn't really capture the spirit and character of a Boy Scout Superman...however, he is a terrific Clark Kent! His portrayal of the clumpsy and geeky Clark Kent was indeed fantastic! You have to remenber that in order for an actor to truly capture the image of a Superhero he must have both a convincing secret identity and the alter ego. This was proven in Batman Begins when Christian Bale deliver a powerful image of the Bruce Wayne AND his alter ego BATMAN. There is no question about it. Batman Begins completely change the Comic Book movies. How I wish the Marvel fanbase would understand this....it takes more than a cool costume and one liners to make a convincing Superhero. But they just continue to support the butchery of the beloved characters with flat acting stars and terrible villains. But going back to Routh...despite his poor performance he still did a fair job.

Lois Lane? It's not about whether they should have picked a gorgeous babe for the role. It's about capturing the attitude and image of the love interest of Superman. With Kate's performance I'm 50/50.

Jimmy Olsen character was excellent! Well done job to the guy doing the role.

And let's not leave the bad guy....Lex Luthor! A name that should strike fear on those who dare to challenge him! Here is what I liked. Kevin did a pretty sinister job with the character. I love it! See, in the DC Universe there are two very dangerous Villains. One is The Joker the other is Lex Luthor. Even thought Lex doesn't use the same style as the Joker to commit his crimes...he is basically equal to the Joker in his evil methods. Lex won't kill you directly...he analyzes you...he studies you...he learns about you...and finally...he understands you...and once he knows everything about you....he strikes you. And when he strikes...it's always with the intention of eliminating you. That's how sinister the character truly behaves. However, in the movie franchise he's about 75% different. Luthor is way too powerful and way too rich in the comic books. There are differences in how the character is portray. Still, they somehow manage to maintain his sinister personality.

Superman Returns secret agenda is the following and please keep it mind that this is EXACTLY what they're planning for the future...The kid (Lois Lane son)...it's too obvious...he will eventually become...

SUPERBOY!

smile

I had a good time watching the movie. I could write a lengthy review. But as I said I want to keep it short. It's not a solid film...nor does it deliver powerful memorable moments. Well, maybe one...Superman lifting the huge island rock and throwing into space was SUPERCOOL

The film is worth it for a summer popcorn flick. Watch it.

WD awards Superman Returns a score For Truth, Justice, and THE AMERICAN WAY!:

4 out of 5

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by 113
What an amazing movie, i saw the advanced screening at 10 last night and i'm seeing it again tonight at 7 cause i knew it would live and surpass all my expectations. And i was not disappointed; finally a comic book movie comes along which delivers in all areas. The perfect amount of action scenes, perfect amount of love scenes, perfect amount of reflection/emotional scenes, and i love how singer used religious imagery throughout the film (the obvious jesus references, and imo one of the coolest scenes is him holding up the earth mimicking atlas). All of the religious themes really make superman into an epic character, which he deserves, something that other superhero movies have been lacking. Watching this movies was like a religious experience for me (being i'm not religious). Superman returns to me is like passion of the christ for some christians. It's just that epic imo.
As for a specific scene which is my favorite, for me it's a no-brainer; {spoiler} the scene after he lifts the continent into space and is so weaken from it that he just faints and falls back down to earth. I loved it how everyone in the city is just watching him fall slowly down to earth and afterwards they take him to the hospitle. Singer made a great choice by putting this scene in the movie cause it shows Superman weakened, something we never see (unless there's kryptonite).
A lot of people don't like superman as a superhero because they feel that his powers make him completely invulnerable and therefore boring but by Singer putting this scene in the movie it humanized him and it's important to note that when i was watching this scene, everyone in the theatre (including me) was general concerned for this character (like the people up on screen). It was such an emotional scene that for the second time in the movie (the first being when he is getting beat down by lex's men) made superman "real."

This movie is the greatest movie of all time for me. I love superhero movies and this surpasses Spiderman 1 and 2 and even Batman Begins for me. My hat goes off to Bryan Singer who not only directed it but co-wrote it. Brandon routh played Superman perfectly and paid homage to Christopher Reeves as Clark Kent. I thought including James Marsden in the film was a great touch and the kid, well that's prettty self-explanatory. Kate bosworth was also great. Aight this was a really long review but i loved this movie.

You haven't seen many movies, have you?

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
You haven't seen many movies, have you?

you need to stop with your sarcastic comments. You disliked the movie, that's great good for you i hope you're proud of yourself. Some of us really liked the movie. So instead of bashing those of us who enjoyed it just keep your comments to yourself.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by 113
you need to stop with your sarcastic comments. You disliked the movie, that's great good for you i hope you're proud of yourself. Some of us really liked the movie. So instead of bashing those of us who enjoyed it just keep your comments to yourself.

No. Sorry. I like being sarcastic. Besides, this complaint is coming from a poster whose name is "Eat My Ass"?

WrathfulDwarf
Okay, this will be consider flaming Dr. Zaius. If you continue with this attitude you will received a warning. So I suggest you drop it.

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
No. Sorry. I like being sarcastic. Besides, this complaint is coming from a poster whose name is "Eat My Ass"?

You join KMC 4 days ago and you act like you've been here for years. You're not going to gain respect here by being a douchebag.

Dr. Zaius
Alright, Wrathful Dwarf, I'll lay off. I don't want to make anyone cry.

But, truth be told, I've noticed quite a bit of flaming on some of these other threads that's much worse than anything I've been dishing out. I'm just pithier than most.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by 113
You join KMC 4 days ago and you act like you've been here for years. You're not going to gain respect here by being a douchebag.

Is this not considered flaming, Wrathful Dwarf?

WrathfulDwarf
Okay, anything that is not a review will NOT be acceptable. Keep this thread on topic.

DigiMark007
My review:
Meh, as hokey as the originals...just with better special effects. Oddly amusing, but hardly movie gold. Felt like a soap opera with some fighting in between.

And Superboy is the worst movie decision since Greedo shooting first.

If you liked it, cool. There's plenty that it does well. But not enough for me, especially with some of the great comic films of the past few years.

C+

-DM

badabing
I have to disagree Digi. I thought the movie was right on with the first two movies. I liked the music and the effects. I was especially pleased with the homages to the first movie. I do agree with you about Superboy though.

B+

Slowhand
I was six years old when Superman the Movie hit theatres. Like the rest of the world, I was completely enthralled with Richard Donner's vision of the world's greatest superhero. With that said, I was expecting a lot from Bryan Singer. I was NOT disappointed.
I was the movie in IMAX 3D and, the not-quite-perfect 3D segments aside, after Supes' first heroic act I was hooked. I leaned over to my wife and said, "This is the coolest thing I have ever seen!"
Who is better than Superman? The answer is no one. I love how Singer captured the worldwide sense of awe and respect that humans show for Superman. I don't want to spoil it for anyone (*don't dead any further*).
The entire city looking up to see their savior falling from the sky; The utter silence following his impact with the ground; The police and fire departments rushing Superman's body to the hospital; Police standing guard outside his hospital room; The city at a standstill as a million people surrounded the hospital.
I don't mind admitting that it was hard for me to contain myself. My wife and daughter were not as successful in bottling their emotions and cried openly, as did much of the audience.
I refute any claims that Superman Returns was a poor offering. It captured perfectly a world where the ultimate hero is carried on the respect of the entire world. It showed the ultimate sacrifice Superman would make to protect the people of earth and the lengths to which his nemesis would go to to kill him.
I loved it, plain and simple. The DVD will take a prominent place in my collection. My experience at the movie theatre was almost spiritual in nature and will never be forgotten.
Love live Superman!
~Slowhand.

roughrider
I'll give it a thumbs up, grade of B. I'm still chewing it over; when I see it again, I should have a better idea of what I think.

Originally posted by Slowhand
I was six years old when Superman the Movie hit theatres. Like the rest of the world, I was completely enthralled with Richard Donner's vision of the world's greatest superhero. With that said, I was expecting a lot from Bryan Singer. I was NOT disappointed.
I was the movie in IMAX 3D and, the not-quite-perfect 3D segments aside, after Supes' first heroic act I was hooked. I leaned over to my wife and said, "This is the coolest thing I have ever seen!"
Who is better than Superman? The answer is no one. I love how Singer captured the worldwide sense of awe and respect that humans show for Superman. I don't want to spoil it for anyone (*don't dead any further*).
The entire city looking up to see their savior falling from the sky; The utter silence following his impact with the ground; The police and fire departments rushing Superman's body to the hospital; Police standing guard outside his hospital room; The city at a standstill as a million people surrounded the hospital.
I don't mind admitting that it was hard for me to contain myself. My wife and daughter were not as successful in bottling their emotions and cried openly, as did much of the audience.
I refute any claims that Superman Returns was a poor offering. It captured perfectly a world where the ultimate hero is carried on the respect of the entire world. It showed the ultimate sacrifice Superman would make to protect the people of earth and the lengths to which his nemesis would go to to kill him.
I loved it, plain and simple. The DVD will take a prominent place in my collection. My experience at the movie theatre was almost spiritual in nature and will never be forgotten.
Love live Superman!
~Slowhand.

Supermans "fall from grace" is one of the best movie moments ever imo. Both times i saw it the theatre was in this collective sorrow for the character. The awe, gratefulness, and concern that the humans had for him while he was falling and afterwards was beautiful, no other way to put it. It reminded me of the scene in Spiderman 2 where Peter stops the runaway train and is so drained of energy he just faints from exhaustion and the people inside the train gentle bring him inside the train (jesus moment) and lay him on the floor. That moment as well as this moment in Superman almost made me cry, something i'm usually not capable of. It was powerful.
When I was in that theatre it was definetly a spiritual moment for me, something I'll never forget. I keep going back to see it because I want to relive that moment and it's a truelly beautiful piece of filmmaking.

roughrider
Originally posted by roughrider
I'll give it a thumbs up, grade of B. I'm still chewing it over; when I see it again, I should have a better idea of what I think.

I just saw it again yesterday; it gains more on a second viewing. Now I see better what they were going for. Though I thought it needed tightning, I see they are going for a more lyrical feeling, and him trying to find his personal attachment to humankind, beyond the people in his life. It's the son. Though I could see that before, I now feel it better.

sithsaber408
I've been late with my review, I saw this on 4th of July, but have been busy at work. stick out tongue

Some backround info: I was a huge fan of all the Christopher Reeves movies as a kid, saw Lois & Clark not really knowing that it was a romantic comedy, read all the Doomsday/World without a Superman/Reign of the Supermen comics but no more than that (which according to many were the shit comics.), saw a few seasons of smallville, and am a pretty big fan.

More recently I saw all the docs about Superman on the Donner dvd's and went back to watch Superman and Superman II before seeing this film.

I was TOTALLY spoiled as to what would happen, and read both good reviews and all the complaints here.

To start: the opening credits sequences was GREAT! The whooshing credits, set to the John Williams Superman march, had me on the films side as it started, going through what I realized was Supermans journey back to earth only near the end of it. big grin

(Seeing Krypton in the beginning there was a nice nod to the older films.)

The early parts with Clark on the farm were great, loved the flashback scenes, which just felt like an expansion of young Clark racing the train in the first film.

The intro of Lex was more humorous than threatening, but I didn't mind it much.

Routh as Clark was great, and I enjoyed all the scenes that he played as him. As Superman he is...very good. (a step shy of great, but I have hope for him. Still, very good.)

Seeing the Daily Planet stuff was good, but it felt like a new version, DP 2.0 rather than the old place remodeled. (I wonder if that makes sense to anybody other than me?)

The Lex plot of going back to the Fortess of Solitude and stealing the crystals to make his own continent was the PERFECT plan....

If you are really remembering films I and II, and taking this as III.

It continues off of him being there in II ("You act like you've been here before"wink smile, and is in-line with his land-loving ways in I and II.

The Superman/Lois dynamic was good, and I felt like they were pretty close to how the characters should be if they were the ones from the first films in these situations.

The only drawback is Bosworth, who does well enough, but is so YOUNG looking that it sort of pulls you out of it. (Kudos to Singer though, for thinking ahead to the sequels.)

The little tips of the hat to all the Superman stuff of the past, like him holding Kitty's mustang over his head ala Action Comics #1, or the little tag saying "Addas Abbaba-1978" next to the Kryptonite in the museum, were great, and I felt that the re-iteration of some lines/themes like Kitty saying "Get out" to Lex's question about his fathers advice, or "Still the safest way to travel" from Supes were meant to line up with the universe that this movie is in, not to be a re-hash.

It had the desired effect on me, as I found myself grinning at each of the above mentioned things, rather than groaning.

Action: Was top-notch and great for both a Superman film and a summer-adventure movie.

Acting: Great from Routh, and REALLY great from Spacey.

Being from an inner-city as a teen, I personally loved how Lex was still sophisticated, clever, and evil, but had been through enough in life to know that the way to get Supes was to catch him off guard, weaken him, then have your homies beat his ass before you stick him in the back.

I had read about that scene but was still breathless as it happened.

GREAT character arc for the movie version of Luthor that we have come to know.

Story: I dug it. Supes having a kid was fine by me, again it matches this movie up to I and II.

I have to say that I enjoyed this movie thoroughly, I had expected that I would, but was slightly cautious due to all the b!tching here and at AICN.

Those folks who didn't like it were looking for something different, I guess.

I was looking for a great new Superman movie, one that complimented the earlier films, while continuing the story of those characters.

I found what I was looking for.

9/10.

FistOfThe North
6/10

Superman is my favorite superhero but Spiderman pt. 1 and Batman Begins were, in my opinion, better movies.

I expected more from Superman Returns. I didn't like how it supposedly took place right after Superman II (wtf).

-Other factors that made it not to great a movie, imo:

-Him having a sick kid.

-Too many lovey dovey scenes.

-I didn't like Routh's look meaning his body frame. He looks like a Superboy. He looks like he could play in "Smallville". Metropolis Superman should look 30, 35. Routh looked 18, 21.

-His voice wasn't as effective. he sounded kinda geeky as a matter of fact.

-Superman going to the hospital. (wtf) ?

And more...

I found more thing wrong with it that right. which was hardly the case with Spidey 1 a B.B.

roughrider
Superman has been to the hospital in the comics, when he was shot with Kryptonite needles.

I like the fact his kid was sickly at first - system having trouble with both human and kryptonian DNA, perhaps? - until he reached that point where some power manifested. He put down his inhaler after that.

Sea King
i give it 9.5 out of 10

so you know it has to be good cause i dont even like superman!

pr1983

Xman Unleashed
I would have to agree as a Huge Smallville and Superman Fan, I had big expectations for this movie. After leaving the cinema though I felt jibbed, it plainly sucked, where was the action? Most dramatic scene was Superman lifting up a big rock and throwing it into space. WOW!!!
F%#k yeah that was awesome script writing great stuff. Let's not make the story a little more modern, people wanna see some ultimate show down in most superhero acion films, not throwing an island into space...Lame, I am really dissapointed as a Superman fan . Kevin Spacy as Lex Luthor was ok, but like the above mentioned too similar to Gene Hackman, should have been darker nature/ personality. Lois Lane was hot but that is all, far too young and not strong enough a character as the old Lois Lane's were. The superkid angle = lame. Cyclops Dude = Lame, Superman = Good character good pick as Superman, however his Clark kent persona was lacking. An setting up a sequel at the end of the film as a redeeming quality would have been good, like Brainac or Darkseid watching and plotting. I mean come on , give us something not some PG13 rated movie with no depth. I hate to say all the above and eagerly await being flamed however I have bottled this up for too long, sorry to offend those who liked the film, however the true Superman fans know there was something missing in this film as we walked out of the cinema, The somber mood of the previous audience exiting the Superman Returns screening should have been a dead give away for me. Once again this is how I feel, At first I defended the film after watching it, however it is no use, people dont care about Supes anymore he is considered washed up by some. I have to agree, Superman Returns Sequel has to have a massively better storyling - Darkseid! Darkseid! Darkseid!

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by Xman Unleashed
I would have to agree as a Huge Smallville and Superman Fan, I had big expectations for this movie. After leaving the cinema though I felt jibbed, it plainly sucked, where was the action? Most dramatic scene was Superman lifting up a big rock and throwing it into space. WOW!!!
F%#k yeah that was awesome script writing great stuff. Let's not make the story a little more modern, people wanna see some ultimate show down in most superhero acion films, not throwing an island into space...Lame, I am really dissapointed as a Superman fan . Kevin Spacy as Lex Luthor was ok, but like the above mentioned too similar to Gene Hackman, should have been darker nature/ personality. Lois Lane was hot but that is all, far too young and not strong enough a character as the old Lois Lane's were. The superkid angle = lame. Cyclops Dude = Lame, Superman = Good character good pick as Superman, however his Clark kent persona was lacking. An setting up a sequel at the end of the film as a redeeming quality would have been good, like Brainac or Darkseid watching and plotting. I mean come on , give us something not some PG13 rated movie with no depth. I hate to say all the above and eagerly await being flamed however I have bottled this up for too long, sorry to offend those who liked the film, however the true Superman fans know there was something missing in this film as we walked out of the cinema, The somber mood of the previous audience exiting the Superman Returns screening should have been a dead give away for me. Once again this is how I feel, At first I defended the film after watching it, however it is no use, people dont care about Supes anymore he is considered washed up by some. I have to agree, Superman Returns Sequel has to have a massively better storyling - Darkseid! Darkseid! Darkseid!

Gasp! Other people actually thought the movie was bad too. I was beginning to think I was the only crank on this board.

NPC
Yes Superman Returns was a horrible film, Im just trying to put it out of my mind.
They should have just done a reboot rather than a continuation I think thats a big reason this movie sucked so bad.
Trying to be faithful to the Donner films rather than break new ground with some new original take on superman, that would require hard work dedication an talent.
The only reason to do a continuation is so Lois could have a child. You would think they were doing it so they could have Zod reappear. Take the child out of the movie an this could be a weak, limp-wristed reboot.
Make a sequel yes, but fire Singer immediately!
Kevin Spacey was totally under-used in this film, it makes me sick.
Routh as the man of steel I wasnt so sure about, but they CGI'ed him some more muscle in a few scenes which helped him pull it off. I think they should have taken a note from the spiderman costume an put some muscles into the suit to make him look more the part. The spidey costume does it just right. An they should have CGI'ed Routh with his veins popping in his arms an neck when he was pushing that island into space. So many things they did wrong, ugh.
Another thing that just didnt sit right with me is the kid.
I mean they are obviously trying to modernize the story by introducing the kid, but the characters Lois/Clark/Superman didnt follow suit they still acted virtually the exact same way towards each other as they did in the Donner films which makes no sense at all.
If you gonna introduce a child, in order to make us buy it you have to make Lois/Clark/Superman's relationship change to reflect that. At times it just felt like she addopted the kid.
Did anyone else think the part where supes was flying thru the flames, after the earthquake, was a rip-off/nod to Superman I when he picked up the continent underground?
I totally did not like that, to me it looked identical, I wanted to see NEW stuff. Of course the Superman I sequence looked better and was cooler. You know a conitnent weights more than that puny little island he threw into space.
I now offically hate this movie, I hope it does well so they can make a sequel that doesnt suck.

snoochyboochies
113!!You were right on the money!! i loved every minute of it.
It was perfectly done. Perfectly paced. Perfectly toned and perfectly produced. i never give anything a 10 but this was a 9.9999!! you cant compare it to spidey and batman because they're such different films in that spidey has more fist fights and batman is more of a crimefighter. Supes can perform more extraordinary feats and is clearly a saviour for all mankind and an undoubted inspiration to so many. I enjoyed it more than any other film I've seen. About time the character with the greatest powers got the SFX treatment. Gonna have to watch it in the IMAX next!!

gshkris72
i really disliked this movie, i think i fell asleep at one point. It was really boring. The only thing i liked was watching the guy who played uper man, brandon or brendon something.Anyways, overall *snooz

dragstercf
it was a action chick flick. i am a keen superman fan. ive seen all the moies, most of the adventgers, and all the smallville so far. so i was really hyped up for it. i liked it.but i was expecting more. i give it 8/10 being a bit genourous

cain marko
omg it was amazing soooo good. Kevin spacey was perfect...and it was wierd seeing james marsden have more than 5 mins on the screen. brandon was fantastic...at some parts i know he didnt really need to but he did look like the late reeves. he was born to be superman!!!! the kid thing although obvious was a good twist i also thought the whole hospital thing was really great...although i expected lois to recognise clark in him when she visited him...it was so comic book like. the guy wit the chain gun, the bullet of the eye, the heat vision disintergrating the glass

wow lol i really liked it

9.5/10 i would like to have seen more of the lois clark relationship build back up...

oh i also loved it that she asked how to spell catastrophic like from the original films. i never read the comics so dunno if that was in them.

eek i also love the reference to gotham!!!

kevdude
Pretty good movie. Defiantly getting it when it comes out..

Wesyeed
This was one awkward movie.

Super stalker

Clark's dragging suitcases to work. Where does he live, at the daily planet?

Why's he wearing glasses as a child? Is he superman back then? What was the point of flashing back anyway?

I'm always around? NO

kevin's just doing a hackman impression. What a waste... and He and his goons seem completely retarded.

Superman's a daddy, but cyclops is the daddy first, and in the end cyclops is still the daddy?

I left the theater dissapointed. 6/10.

cain marko
Originally posted by Wesyeed
This was one awkward movie.

Super stalker

Clark's dragging suitcases to work. Where does he live, at the daily planet?

Why's he wearing glasses as a child? Is he superman back then? What was the point of flashing back anyway?

I'm always around? NO

kevin's just doing a hackman impression. What a waste... and He and his goons seem completely retarded.

Superman's a daddy, but cyclops is the daddy first, and in the end cyclops is still the daddy?

I left the theater dissapointed. 6/10.

clark lives nowhere yet he asks some people in the daily planet if they no anywhere he can live.
ye he is the dad but nothing has become of that yet. it would have been rushed if marsden found out this film

the glasses thing i cant explain maybe they were his dads

spacey was AMAZING FANTSTIC ENTERTAINING

redcaped
My review is begging for the sequel!

.Dance_Inside.
I love Superman Returns.
thumb up

Lord Paradise
So, I've never been a big fan of Superman as a character, but I came into the theater expecting something about as good as Spider-Man 2. Also, my friends had all given it high reviews, so, despite the lack of sleep I got last night, I was pumped. What I ended up seeing was a movie about a guy who lifts heavy objects and gets into awkward conversations with his ex-girlfriend. Kevin Spacey's great performance as Lex Luthor, plus the creepy piano/fax/thing scene, put it a notch above the Hulk. Special effects were great, I suppose; it looked like he was really lifting some pretty heavy objects. I mean, really heavy. For a while I thought that he wouldn't be able to pull off some of the lifting that he did, but he never failed to perform. And then there was the one scene where instead of lifting things, he walked forwards and got shot repeatedly, but didn't die. That might have been the highlight of the movie.

Given other reviews I've heard, I feel like I'm missing something. Feel free to fill me in by PMs or whatever, as I probably won't look here again. 5/10.

xmarksthespot
xmarksthespot critically reviews Superman Returns. And will probably be lambasted for it. Purely my opinion but here goes...

The Story
A sequel of sorts.
Except a sequel is supposed to move forward from where the previous films left off. Not just repeat them, from scenes, to lines, to basic plot. When it's been done once and done well, recycling the same idea is rarely a good idea; see Psycho.

"Grow a large uninhabitable piece of land, while in the process killing the people you want to profit off of with the land, all the while proclaiming your own genius." By god, that is genius. Oh wait no it's not, and no amount of opera music is going to convince me that it is.

http://xoomer.alice.it/animaniacs/images/pbrainmain.jpg
"That was my plan, and I would have made it work."

But this isn't a remake Lois has a kid! And from the looks of it Superman now Superstalker should have been charged with statutory rape. But wait a minute, Superman erased her memory thus her immaculate conception of a Superbaby should spark a reporter's instincts. Alas no. This would be a major plothole if I wasn't so willing to believe that, yes, Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane really is that stupid. How many F's in catastrophic? Hand me your Pulitzer so I can beat you to death with it.

Other examples of lacklustre writing include but are not limited to flying off to Krypton, finding nothing, and somehow returning in a spaceship; Clark Kent and Superman returning to Metropolis at the exact same time, what a coinkidink; posing like it's Easter, tuning into Superhearing Easylistening and deciding of all the bad things happening in the world a bank robbery takes precedent; not to mention the annoyingly obtrusive Jesus allegory.

The idea of Superman Returning after a long absence to find the world no longer needs him, actually in itself sounds very interesting and could have made for a very compelling story. Unfortunately it hasn't offered anything exceedingly original. It leaves you thinking, "What was the point of this movie again?"

The Casting
Or more rather the miscasting.
Bosworth
Shit. That pretty much sums it up. I suppose I should elaborate. But it really can just be summed up in one word. Shit. I don't see her winning a prize at the special Olympics, let alone a Pulitzer.

http://www.harrywalker.com/photos/Walters_Barbara.jpg

Spacey
The hunter in Bambi is more menacing than Kevin Spacey in this film.
Barbara Walters is more menacing than Kevin Spacey in this film.
A grandma swindler with real estate ambitions is more.. oh wait... that is Kevin Spacey in this film.
Spacey wanders through the film as if he doesn't want to be there and the only thing keeping him on the set at all is a giant sack of cash with a big green dollar sign printed neatly on it. I'm not sure if it was just bad scripting or if he's simply lost the talent that brought him accolades in The Usual Suspects and American Beauty.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00032CDPA.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Routh
There isn't much to say about Routh - he isn't superb, he isn't terrible. He plays an adequate Superman, he certainly looks the part, he delivers lines stolen from the original film competently. He tries his best at imitating Reeve's Clark Kent, but comes up somewhat lacking. He's the acting equivalent of "I can't believe it's not butter." Except I can believe it. And it isn't nearly as good as the real thing.

The minor cast did a reasonable job, however given the role of background scenery, there is little they can do to help the film.

Parker Posey is my muse. Too bad she was given so little to work with playing the role of Lex Luthor's beard, she would have made an infinitely better Lois than Bosworth.

The Execution
With a 2.5 hour movie pacing has to be impeccable. And pacing is off in parts, leading to the movie dragging. The occasionally choppy editing didn't help either. The action sequences show you what special effects these days can do, but really have little more impact than that. You can't help but notice how morose the feel of the film is, washed-out and dim even down to the costume alterations. Singer is a competent director but he really doesn't know the meaning of fun, a lot of the times he strives for epic and only achieves grandiose.

Artistically competent however does not necessarily imply fiscally competent, because I really don't see where the (at least) $205 million dollar budget went.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I don't think Richard Donner's ever been more "flattered".

C+/B-

Dr. Zaius
Very aptly and, may I say, amusingly, put.

I also liked the pictures. Illustrations are so helpful.

That said, brace yourself for the shitstorm. It's a coming, because you must be some kind of irrational, sociopathic hater of all that is good and holy if you found anything wrong with this movie. So goes the thinking on most of this board.

roughrider
Make criticism you can back up, is all. I've seen a lot of points made by the dislikers, calmly and rationly explained away by the fans. Think before you speak.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by roughrider
Make criticism you can back up, is all. I've seen a lot of points made by the dislikers, calmly and rationly explained away by the fans. Think before you speak.

Notice, I said "most", roughrider. You don't represent the norm on this board.

SpyCspider
actually, I was under the impression there was a balanced number of dislikers and people who enjoyed the movie...maybe the ones who enjoyed it are more vocal?

.Dance_Inside.
I love Superman Returns thumb up

redcaped
I can do it.

redcaped
but I won't

snoochyboochies

here here. i too was quite emotional.
Love live Superman!
~Slowhand.

mano012sg
Love live Superman!
~Slowhand.
the movie itself was good...the only part i felt that lacked were the morals. superman being world icon should take full responsibility for jason not run away, pretend nothing happened and then dish fatherly advice. to start with pre-marital sex...by the world's greatest super hero? ugly.

But I loved the lifting the contient etc....but I loved the book better...more in depth.

Slowhand
As the ultimate hero, Superman subjects himself to the laws of mankind. However, Superman does not takes lives because the bible says not to, but rather because it is illegal. He obeys the law, not a tattered book that expounds the words of a mortal man who walked the earth 2000 years ago. Superman is not bound by any law in the western world to be married before doing the nasty with Lois. Or anyone else, for that matter. Perhaps other religions do demand it, but Kal-el is not practicing any religion as far as I know.

Kal-el will make sure that nothing happens to Jason and will do what we can, in his limited role, to help where he can. Obviously, he cannot pay child support as Clark, for Lois would figure out his secret again.

And, let us not forget, Jason was conceived when Kal-el relinquished his powers and was planning to spend the rest of his life with Lois. Life has a funny way of turning everybody's plans inside out.

MarioR

redcaped
what! rrrrrrrrrrr you meaning?

MattDay
but the kid killed the mugger with a piano, i dont think anyone on earth can do that let alone a 5 year old child, he definitely has superman's oomf in him.

.Dance_Inside.
I just watched Superman Returns again for the 5th time! still love it

systemshock2
Originally posted by .Dance_Inside.
I just watched Superman Returns again for the 5th time! still love it

Awesome Dance_Inside! Happy Dance

BTW, does anybody know what the deal is with that goon who kept videotaping Lex's scheme throughout the movie. Do you'll think it was because the goon liked doing stuff like that, or do you'll think it was because maybe Lex ordered him to. I'm actually going with the second option. Lex seems to me so egotistical and megalomaniacal that he'd want his entire quest videotaped, and probably made in mass quantities, so that future citizens of Lexland could watch it.

super pr*xy
i think it's lex. he has hitler-esque tendencies anyways. the only differece is that he doesn't disciminate... he'll kill anybody.

brainchild81
Originally posted by DigiMark007
My review:
Meh, as hokey as the originals...just with better special effects. Oddly amusing, but hardly movie gold. Felt like a soap opera with some fighting in between.

And Superboy is the worst movie decision since Greedo shooting first.

If you liked it, cool. There's plenty that it does well. But not enough for me, especially with some of the great comic films of the past few years.

C+

-DM Spot on. Except I would have given it a D+ @ best. I didn't like the old films eitherOriginally posted by gshkris72
i really disliked this movie, i think i fell asleep at one point. It was really boring. The only thing i liked was watching the guy who played uper man, brandon or brendon something.Anyways, overall *snooz Lucky bastard! I couldn't go to sleep 'cause IMAX was too loud. Would've made the experience much quicker and more pleasant

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.