What would you prefer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amity75
Sorry for putting my nose into the spider-man thread when I'm not a hardcore fan but here's something that crossed my mind prior to the release of Revenge of the Sith. With regards to Spider-Man 3, what would you prefer? A film that only the spidey fans love and is your dream spider-man film but every other member of the viewing public thinks is crap and avoids like the plague or a film that greatly upsets you and you despise due to it's content (costumes, organics etc) but everyone else loves and regards as one of the greatest films ever made?
As I said, I'm certainly not a hardcore fan but this is the movie I've been waiting for since ROTS and things like organic webslingers, accuracy of villians to their comic counterparts etc don't bother me.
Your thoughts?

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by amity75
Sorry for putting my nose into the spider-man thread when I'm not a hardcore fan but here's something that crossed my mind prior to the release of Revenge of the Sith. With regards to Spider-Man 3, what would you prefer? A film that only the spidey fans love and is your dream spider-man film but every other member of the viewing public thinks is crap and avoids like the plague or a film that greatly upsets you and you despise due to it's content (costumes, organics etc) but everyone else loves and regards as one of the greatest films ever made?
As I said, I'm certainly not a hardcore fan but this is the movie I've been waiting for since ROTS and things like organic webslingers, accuracy of villians to their comic counterparts etc don't bother me.
Your thoughts?

You're the perfect example why Raimi made the changes he made in the movies. There were some things that just weren't necessary in the movies as they are in the comics.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by amity75
Your thoughts?

You're the same as me. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me (and I'm a pretty big fan of Spidey) so I don't mind either way.

Dan-El
I'm a diehard Spidey fan, and some of the changes they made in the movie are just fine with me. I've never hated Norman's armor, though the mask bothers me a bit, organics seemed logical, and Doc Ock's lack of a costume made sense. Small changes like that, or origins such as Pete, Harry, and MJ all being friends in high school and later college, are things that don't bother me.
However, the big stuff is. Such as the look of the new Green Goblin costume, the late addition of Gwen Stacy (it's in the beginning or not at all guys!), the slightly confusing subplot of Peter losing his powers in 2, and things of that nature. I was initially miffed at the lack of the original black costume pattern, but I got over that when I thought about it. I mean, in the comics, Spidey said he subconciously patterned himself after the current Spider-Woman, and since there is none in the movies, then it makes sense that the movie black suit would resemble the red and blues.
So yeah, I can stand some changes, others don't make sense, but what happens with 3 remains to be seen. Regardless of what I hear, I'll see it for myself.

Doc Ock
I have no problem with costume changes as long as they look good. For example, Ock didn't wear his traditional green spandex, or his white armani suit. They gave him a trenchcoat and upgraded his tentacles, and he looked completely badass. Doc Ock with a modernized look.

The Goblin costume changes have been terrible. Absolutely awful in every way.

Character changes is more serious. For example, Spidey in the movies does not quip nearly as much as he should. It's like Spider-Man's most famous character trait, his smart mouth, and it's all but missing from the movies.
MJ in the movies is not the sassy, hip, fun loving party girl she is in the comics.
Doc Ock would never turn good like he did at the end of SM-2.

Things like that bother me.

amity75
Would I be right in saying that Tobey Maguire's voice isn't right? His voice in he cartoons seems so much more wittier and not at all whiney.

Dan-El
Originally posted by Doc Ock
I have no problem with costume changes as long as they look good. For example, Ock didn't wear his traditional green spandex, or his white armani suit. They gave him a trenchcoat and upgraded his tentacles, and he looked completely badass. Doc Ock with a modernized look.

The Goblin costume changes have been terrible. Absolutely awful in every way.

Character changes is more serious. For example, Spidey in the movies does not quip nearly as much as he should. It's like Spider-Man's most famous character trait, his smart mouth, and it's all but missing from the movies.
MJ in the movies is not the sassy, hip, fun loving party girl she is in the comics.
Doc Ock would never turn good like he did at the end of SM-2.

Things like that bother me.

I agree with the quips. It was a let down with SM 1, because he was quippy in the ring, yet became more serious after Ben's death. SM2 had the classic "Here's your change!" line, when Spidey hit Ock with the big bag of gold coins, but not much else.

MORE QUIPS DAMMIT!

"It's you who's out, Gobby! Out of your mind!" lol

SpyCspider
I guess they didn't want to encourage kids to be smartasses when dealing with serious situations like violence and criminals? My only guess on why they toned down the quips...

Then again, the 90s Animated Series did just fine with Spidey cracking disses over and over again...

Dan-El
Come on, who doesn't want to hear Spidey bounce around, cocky as hell? lol

Sparkz
Originally posted by Dan-El
Come on, who doesn't want to hear Spidey bounce around, cocky as hell? lol

Exactly I'm I die hard Spidey fan and alot of the movie didn't bother me, i didnt mind the organics, but things like Raimi couldnt be botherd to put Gwen Stacy in the films because one he couldnt be arsed and 2 he prefferd MJ, which obviosly means he prefers red heads because he turned MJ into some sort of whiney version of Gwen with red Hair, then he decideds to put Gwen in Spider-man 3 as Spider-man's "mistress" that annoys me. But the GG costume never botherd me, the mask could use a little work, but the green body armour I thought was ok.

And they just seemed to get Peter's character all wrong even in the comics when things got him down he was still cheerful and as Spider-man very quippy, the films missed that out completley, just made a constant depressed Parker, the main reason that annoyed me was because of Tobey's voice so drolling and annoying lol.

And Spider-man 2 seemed to be just plain strange it had Peter's loosing his powers which only comic fans could understand (in the first sinister six story he subconsoly supressed his powers because he felt sorry for himself) which is what Raimi did in Spidey 2. And what the hell was with all that crap happening to Peter constantly I mean people can have a bad day but thats just plain crap. Raimi somehow blended a "people who don't know the comics won't understand this " and a " Won't stay true to the comics" story.

But overall i thought the films were good, there's just these little things which can get annoying, esspecialy when you hear Raimi's excuses for why he did it.

Scarlet_Spidey
A few things that REALLY bother me :

- The idiotic suit of the Green Goblin.
- Gwen Stacy, where are you ? You're supposed to appear and be dead !
- Dock Ock turns good in the end.
- Tobey being a mama's boy. Where is the selfconfident voice from the spiderman game from 2000 casted by rino romero ? I really liked that.
- MJ not being hot at all.
- The spidey symbiote costume in S3, they just coloured it blue with the CPU. Pretty lame.

Sparkz
Originally posted by Scarlet_Spidey
A few things that REALLY bother me :

- The idiotic suit of the Green Goblin.
- Gwen Stacy, where are you ? You're supposed to appear and be dead !
- Dock Ock turns good in the end.
- Tobey being a mama's boy. Where is the selfconfident voice from the spiderman game from 2000 casted by rino romero ? I really liked that.
- MJ not being hot at all.
- The spidey symbiote costume in S3, they just coloured it blue with the CPU. Pretty lame.

I thought MJ was hot at least in spidey 1 and yeah the guy who played Spider-man in the PS1 game was awsome, but he did have past experience playing Spidey in Spider-man unlimited.

Dan-El
The problem with MJ was when the lightened her hair color for SM 2. I liked the unnatural, unbelievable red from SM 1!

Sparkz
Originally posted by Dan-El
The problem with MJ was when the lightened her hair color for SM 2. I liked the unnatural, unbelievable red from SM 1!

So did I, it was just a nicer hair overall anyway, i think they used a wig Spider-man 2 and it just wasnt that good.

doctorstrongbad
I don't mind small changes in movies. I think they are bringing gwen stacey is part 3 so they can get rid of MJ, Kirtin Dunnst. Dunnst only wanted to do 3 films and we all know there will be more than that made.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.