Making Drugs Legal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arcana
Personally I'm for making drugs legal because...

1. It would eliminate the need for underground and illegal dealers thus lowering crime rates.

2. People by nature (especially teens) like to rebel and if drugs were legal then well I wouldn't be so fun anymore would it?

2. If someone decides to be stupid and **** up their bodies with drugs... who are we to stop them? Might as well make alcohol illegal again...

I think what is needed is more education of the dangers drugs prevent instead of just restricting them and therefore making it all more appealing to rebellious teens.

Again this is just my 16-year-old opinion... and no I do not do drugs.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6797/sign7bz.png

autumn dreams
And there would be drug addicts roaming the streets, people would be high, walking around stoned, people would commit more crime because they under the influence...yep, sounds like a bloody good idea!

Arcana
Originally posted by autumn dreams
And there would be drug addicts roaming the streets, people would be high, walking around stoned, people would commit more crime because they under the influence...yep, sounds like a bloody good idea!

Considering the fact that we already have drug addicts walking the streets being stoned and all that "shit" not to mention the numerous illegal dealers...

Had I wanted to at school I could have gotten my hands on plenty of pot and coke... so seeing as how the laws don't really seem to be helping.

autumn dreams
Originally posted by Arcana
Considering the fact that we already have drug addicts walking the streets being stoned and all that "shit" not to mention the numerous illegal dealers...

Had I wanted to at school I could have gotten my hands on plenty of pot and coke... so seeing as how the laws don't really seem to be helping.

But what would happen if we made drugs legal? More drugs, more crime. The law is the problem, we need to crack down on junkies, but so far we are doing nothing.

Arcana
But what would happen if we made drugs legal? More drugs, more crime. The law is the problem, we need to crack down on junkies, but so far we are doing nothing.
Uh?

We are, but guess what? It's not working. People still do drugs anyways, and many don't understand what they are doing. Most of people at my school did drugs because it was the "cool" thing to do.

There would be less crime actually since those Latin American Drug Lords would suddenly be out of a big business (consider where coke comes from), and then there would be no more need of illegal drug dealers.

Dangerous drugs such as heroin should be controlled yes. But pot and coke? It's pointless.

What is needed is better drug education.

LighterFluid
More crime? What drug-related crime that exists right now is there because drugs are illegal. There won't be more people arrested for illegally dealing drugs if dealing drugs is legal. There is, of course, the violence that results from the drug trade; however, I think that if drugs were made legal, they would become less profitable for gangs and such. You don't see street gangs having wars over alcohol or cigarettes.

I'm not so sure that there would be more junkies if drugs were made legal, either. The people who want to do drugs right now get the drugs anyway.

autumn dreams
Originally posted by LighterFluid
More crime? What drug-related crime that exists right now is there because drugs are illegal. There won't be more people arrested for illegally dealing drugs if dealing drugs is legal.

Lets make murder legal, then there won't be so many murders because it is legal.

LighterFluid
There won't be any murder arrests; there will still be murders. You're missing the main point of that post, though.

DarkC
I, for one, am against it.

There's a few good reasons why drugs are illegal in the first place.

crazylozer
Legal? Fine. But I want it controlled, and done right.

Alcohol is abused, even while legal, simply because teenagers believe that it is cool to defy the law.

I'm unsure as to how it should be done; what is the right balance between ensuring safety, but not making it taboo, thus desirable?

I don't want infants to be able to go get high, but it'd be far worse if college hazing involved seeing how much heroin a guy can take.

So for now, I say not legal yet, but maybe after some consideration.

Meus Amor
Originally posted by DarkC

Nazgulinthedark
Uh?

We are, but guess what? It's not working. People still do drugs anyways, and many don't understand what they are doing. Most of people at my school did drugs because it was the "cool" thing to do.

There would be less crime actually since those Latin American Drug Lords would suddenly be out of a big business (consider where coke comes from), and then there would be no more need of illegal drug dealers.

Dangerous drugs such as heroin should be controlled yes. But pot and coke? It's pointless.

What is needed is better drug education.

We're doing something about drugs? I think not! Especially in high schools. One of the teachers at my school does drugs and abuses alcohol, and I don't see anything happening to her. If we can't do anything about the teachers how are we supposed to do anything about the students? For god sakes, that woman is teaching us.

And don't start with the crap about kids not knowing what they're doing. Everybody who goes to school in the US goes through DARE classes.

And the Latin American Drug Lords would have a BIGGER business! Because then they wouldn't have to keep anything secret! Take any beer company for instance. Do you think Budweiser was doing so hot during Prohibition? The law is probably the only deterrent for many kids. If you take that away then everybody's going to do drugs. It won't just be the rebels anymore.

So you don't think pot and coke are dangerous? Tell that to every drug rehab center in the world.

Again: DARE. If you don't think those classes are effective enough, that's something for you to bring up with the local police station, not to go and impose a change in the law.

Leo.M

1. It would eliminate the need for underground and illegal dealers thus lowering crime rates.

2. People by nature (especially teens) like to rebel and if drugs were legal then well I wouldn't be so fun anymore would it?

2. If someone decides to be stupid and **** up their bodies with drugs... who are we to stop them? Might as well make alcohol illegal again...

I think what is needed is more education of the dangers drugs prevent instead of just restricting them and therefore making it all more appealing to rebellious teens.

no expression

LighterFluid
Originally posted by Nazgulinthedark
We're doing something about drugs? I think not! Especially in high schools. One of the teachers at my school does drugs and abuses alcohol, and I don't see anything happening to her. If we can't do anything about the teachers how are we supposed to do anything about the students? For god sakes, that woman is teaching us.

And don't start with the crap about kids not knowing what they're doing. Everybody who goes to school in the US goes through DARE classes.

And the Latin American Drug Lords would have a BIGGER business! Because then they wouldn't have to keep anything secret! Take any beer company for instance. Do you think Budweiser was doing so hot during Prohibition? The law is probably the only deterrent for many kids. If you take that away then everybody's going to do drugs. It won't just be the rebels anymore.

So you don't think pot and coke are dangerous? Tell that to every drug rehab center in the world.

Again: DARE. If you don't think those classes are effective enough, that's something for you to bring up with the local police station, not to go and impose a change in the law.

Pot and coke would be a lot safer if drugs were legalized. Right now they can be laced with all sorts of crap. If legalized, drugs would start being produced by major companies. This has two major consequences. First, drug lords would have LESS business. The drug trade is so profitable right now because everything has to be done illegally. Major corporations would start edging drug lords out of the market. This brings me to my second point - a major reason why they would be able to take over the market is because their drugs would be regulated. After all, who wants to buy street drugs when they could buy drugs that they know aren't laced?

Anything can be abused - drugs, food, posting privileges.

Alpha Centauri

So you adhere to the very silly rationale of "They're illegal so they must be bad"? Alcohol is legal, does much more damage, so do cigarettes.

All drugs should be legalised for the simple reasons:

1) Tax the hell out of them and you've got another massive income point.

2) You can keep track of who is buying them and who isn't.

3) You eliminate the way they are dealt, which is the worst problem with drugs.

4) Regardless of your concern for me, you have absolutely no right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body. That's like making cola illegal because you don't want me rotting my teeth.

As long as I physically hurt no other human being on this planet, what I do to myself is nobody's business.

-AC

Nazgulinthedark
Originally posted by LighterFluid
Pot and coke would be a lot safer if drugs were legalized. Right now they can be laced with all sorts of crap. If legalized, drugs would start being produced by major companies. This has two major consequences. First, drug lords would have LESS business. The drug trade is so profitable right now because everything has to be done illegally. Major corporations would start edging drug lords out of the market. A major reason why they would be able to take over the market is because their drugs would be regulated. After all, who wants to buy street drugs when they could buy drugs that they know aren't laced?

Anything can be abused - drugs, food, posting privileges.

Sure, they would be safer because they wouldn't be laced with crap. Of course, then you get a higher concentrated dose, which I can't imagine is good for you.

Nazgulinthedark
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
So you adhere to the very silly rationale of "They're illegal so they must be bad"? Alcohol is legal, does much more damage, so do cigarettes.

All drugs should be legalised for the simple reasons:

1) Tax the hell out of them and you've got another massive income point.

2) You can keep track of who is buying them and who isn't.

3) You eliminate the way they are dealt, which is the worst problem with drugs.

4) Regardless of your concern for me, you have absolutely no right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body. That's like making cola illegal because you don't want me rotting my teeth.

As long as I physically hurt no other human being on this planet, what I do to myself is nobody's business.

-AC

2) Because we're doing such a good job keeping cigarettes and alcohol out of the hands of minors already.

3) Really? The way they are dealt is the worst problem? My guess was going to be the fact that drugs have negative effects on the brain and lungs, not to mention that users quadruple their chance of heart attack. (www.nida.nih.gov)

4) The point of the law is to protect the citizens. The government doesn't care one way or another if you get hurt from drug abuse. The laws that make drugs illegal are there to keep people that are high who have no idea what the hell they are doing, like you, from hurting law abiding citizens, like me.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

All these points have already been covered far more substantially in this thread:

Should All Drugs Be Legalised?

Stop smokin' crack, and start using the search button. Peas.

Arcana
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
All these points have already been covered far more substantially in this thread:

Should All Drugs Be Legalised?

Stop smokin' crack, and start using the search button. Peas.

Oops embarrasment

Alpha Centauri
2) Because we're doing such a good job keeping cigarettes and alcohol out of the hands of minors already.

Use some sense. They drink and smoke underaged, and they do so because they aren't old enough to purchase them legally. Why do you think it's hard to stop them doing so? Go on. Why should everyone else be suppressed just because idiots are being stupid?

3) Really? The way they are dealt is the worst problem? My guess was going to be the fact that drugs have negative effects on the brain and lungs, not to mention that users quadruple their chance of heart attack. (www.nida.nih.gov)

Well that's your guess. "Negative" is subjective, and I've proven so, I've seen people and known people that counter your links and your anti-hype.

"DRUGS RUIN PEOPLE! DRUGS RUIN LIVES!" Keith Richards? Yeah, bye. He's the one man counter to any drugs argument. That said, I know people personally as I said before.

Am I denying that drugs can be a part of things going wrong? No, but that's not how it always is. Drugs have done good things for humans and humanity.

4) The point of the law is to protect the citizens. The government doesn't care one way or another if you get hurt from drug abuse. The laws that make drugs illegal are there to keep people that are high who have no idea what the hell they are doing, like you, from hurting law abiding citizens, like me.

Go back and read my point, ok? I said as long as I do not hurt anyone besides myself, who are you to tell me I can't take drugs? Precisely. Take the initiative to think that I don't want your protection.

Second, like me? Bit of an assumption. Oh, wait, because you can't possibly not be a regular drug user and have pro-drug stances can you? Yes, you can.

Third, do you want alcohol to be illegal? If the answer is no, your whole debate is trash.

-AC

RedAlertv2
Make drugs legal, put taxes on them, and watch crime go down.

LighterFluid
Sure, they would be safer because they wouldn't be laced with crap. Of course, then you get a higher concentrated dose, which I can't imagine is good for you.
Having a cigarette of pure marijuana is healthier than a cigarette of mostly marijuana and traces of crystal meth. I won't even go into some of the deadlier things that have been stuck in drugs.

Alpha Centauri
Marijuana has been proven to have more positive properties than negative.

The only way it's going to cause any "harm" in the real sense is if you smoke it, and even then it's the smoking that's doing it, not the pot. To add, doing that is even less dangerous.

It's just the word "illegal". It makes people knee-jerk with their reactions.

-AC

Jigsaw13

Arcana

Eis
I'm with AC on this one. Drugs should definitely be legalized.

Alpha Centauri

autumn dreams
Originally posted by crazylozer
Legal? Fine. But I want it controlled, and done right.

I would not be against the legalisation of marajuana for medicinal purposes only-from what I have heard, it actually works, and takes away pain. The patient should be monitered closely, and there would have to be measures in place to ensure he/she doesn't become addicted...

Alpha Centauri
Addicted, to marijuana? Do you know what you're on about?

-AC

autumn dreams
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Addicted, to marijuana? Do you know what you're on about?

-AC

People can become addicted to pot, much like they become addicted to smoking, can't they? confused

Bardock42

Usually people then would go ahead to state those reasons. I guess I can understand that you didn't seeing as there are hardly any good reasons for it.

People can become addicted to pot, much like they become addicted to smoking, can't they? confused No.

T.M

And how would crime be reduced.. ?

If you legalize drug use then more people will take the drugs because they will be much more widely available... People will need to pay for their drug habits and will eventually turn to theft as a way of payment. If more people take drugs more people will have to steal to pay for the drugs.. work levels will drop because everyone will be stoned.. this will cause people to have less and less money.. again leading to crime.

The only people who will benefit from legalizing drugs is the dealers.. and why should people who sell drugs to kids make more money..

make ALL drugs illegal.. except prescription drugs I think.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by T.M
And how would crime be reduced.. ?

Because dealers would quickly become obsolete.

Originally posted by T.M
People will need to pay for their drug habits and will eventually turn to theft as a way of payment.

You're basing this on...? People who are rich still use drugs and pay for it out of their own pocket.

Possibly the most ludicrous statement on drugs that I've seen.

Originally posted by T.M
If more people take drugs more people will have to steal to pay for the drugs.. work levels will drop because everyone will be stoned.. this will cause people to have less and less money.. again leading to crime.

You're basing this on nothing, aren't you? Be honest.

Originally posted by T.M
The only people who will benefit from legalizing drugs is the dealers.. and why should people who sell drugs to kids make more money..

Haha, they're the one group who will be on the end of it the worst.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Feel free to bump this thread for discussion:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18701&highlight=drugs

Closing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.