How exactly does Kryptonite kill Superman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

allofyousuckkk
Ok, he was stabbed, would he die? Or would being around it too long?

I'm lost

Also, why was he practically immune to it except for when he got stabbed.

SupezM'
Kryptonite drains him of his powers and weakens him like poison till eventually he would die.

His will is what kept him going and pushing the giant mass into space.

BlackC@
It drains him of his powers because when Kryptons' red sun exploded, it covered the debris of Krypton in the red suns' radiation. Remember, under the light of a red sun Krytonians are mortal. If we got near a rock that was covered in radiation from our sun, we would get pretty sick too.

allofyousuckkk
it wasn't his will, beacause he was also walking around on the island until he was pushed onto the floor where he touched kryptonite with his hands. WTF was up with that. Also, can Superman drown. I don't think so, right?

BlackC@
The Kryptonite logged into his back was draining his powers, so yes, he could have drowned.

SupezM'
What are you talking about? It was his will, which has been described by many writers to be his greatest strength, that kept him pushing the giant mass of kryptonite into space.

Notice when the job was done he was spent due to the Kryptonite draining him and being in space without his powers.

allofyousuckkk
it was so not his will. Willpower has a limit

SupezM'
His will keeps him going when his body wants to give up, willpower plays a huge factor in most of what he does. What good is all the power in the world when you dont have the will to do anything?

allofyousuckkk
its not a matter of if he had the will to do it, if kryptonite drains his strength then he would have been screwed.

That's like me covering my body in a butter an oil mixture, and then trying to pic up a 100 pound metallic barrel. I may have the will to do it, but It still isn't gonna happen.

SupezM'
lol you dont get it.. its ok.

NPC
Superman has mental blocks that prevent him from using is true, full power. When he is pushed beyond his limits sometimes those mental blocks disappear an he is more resistant to kryptonite, becomes faster, stronger, you name it. I think one comic suggested even his kryptonite weakness was merely a mental block an he couldnt handle being that powerful an unstoppable so he unconsciously gave himself a weakness.
Even with those mental blocks limiting his power, he still consciously pulls his punches when fighting most enemies.
I wasnt even truely aware of that until a recent Justice League episode, where he said something to the effect. He feels like he lives a world made of cardboard, an is always afraid of losing control even for second, cause someone could die. Then he said to Darksied, " This is a rare occasion I can cut lose an show you just how powerful I really am." Then he punches a powered up Darksied-fused-with-Brainiac so hard he makes a sonic boom an knocks Darksied thru about a dozen skyscrapers.

Tron
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk

Tell that to the Green Lantern Corps.

Ritoshi
Originally posted by NPC
Superman has mental blocks that prevent him from using is true, full power. When he is pushed beyond his limits sometimes those mental blocks disappear an he is more resistant to kryptonite, becomes faster, stronger, you name it. I think one comic suggested even his kryptonite weakness was merely a mental block an he couldnt handle being that powerful an unstoppable so he unconsciously gave himself a weakness.
Even with those mental blocks limiting his power, he still consciously pulls his punches when fighting most enemies.
I wasnt even truely aware of that until a recent Justice League episode, where he said something to the effect. He feels like he lives a world made of cardboard, an is always afraid of losing control even for second, cause someone could die. Then he said to Darksied, " This is a rare occasion I can cut lose an show you just how powerful I really am." Then he punches a powered up Darksied-fused-with-Brainiac so hard he makes a sonic boom an knocks Darksied thru about a dozen skyscrapers.
Like this http://media.putfile.com/Superman-Full-Power eek!

H. S. 6

If you can't understand that, then think of this: He was in space. In the Sun's rays. Pure, unadulterated rays.

Think about that.

NPC
Originally posted by Ritoshi
Like this http://media.putfile.com/Superman-Full-Power eek!

Someone shoulda shown Singer that clip before he finalized the story, ect. LOL
That 1 min clip is better than the whole Superman returns movie.

roughrider
A nice clip; unfortunately, they don't think much of Darkseid in the cartoon series - just like the comic these days(sigh).
Superman did go for a quick sun bath before going to push that island into space, which helped him handle the kryptonite exposure for as long as he did. I would have liked if they went further and he took a quick sun dip, returning to earth blazing with energy - that would have looked even better. This theory he can get around kryptonite like it's a mental block, I don't buy it. It's totally biological. Maybe when he's old enough he can get more immune - like the events in Kingdom Come show.

allofyousuckkk
ok, then that is confusing to everyone who doesn't follow it really closely. The movie didn't explain that at all. Why didn't he use his willpower in the first superman when the kryptonite necklace was on him?

Also, the sun's rays would have been blocked out for most of the trip because the island was miles long and he was in the center underneath.

roughrider
ok, then that is confusing to everyone who doesn't follow it really closely. The movie didn't explain that at all. Why didn't he use his willpower in the first superman when the kryptonite necklace was on him?

Also, the sun's rays would have been blocked out for most of the trip because the island was miles long and he was in the center underneath.

Because like I said, it's not psychological. That's why he couldn't lift the necklace.

He soaked up a lot of sunlight in the upper atmosphere before going to lift the island. But as I said, it would have looked better to me if he took an actual sun-dip, to handle that much Kryptonite up close.

Yarr
I agree and actually made the same comment to my friends after the movie.

Supes could have taken a quick dip to regen and really let lose. Although remember he was weak and who knows if he had time to fly to the sun and back in his condition. I mean if he wasnt hurt at all he could have made the trip in a few minutes im sure.

roughrider
The quick coles notes on Kryptonite, going back to John Byrne's reboot:

Exposure to it drives the yellow solar energy out of Superman's cells, replacing it with a green, glowing death. This 'green death' was spreading all over Krypton at the time he was sent away, because Krypton was falling slowly into it's red sun - the land mass was becoming poisoned.

TheKahn

From what I could tell in the movie, the reason Superman was able to lift the island was because he dived underneath it and lifted a good chunk of the sea floor along with it (and thus was shielded from the kryptonite to some degree). As he was carrying it in the air the bottom layer of sea floor was falling away and as a result he was exposed to the kryptonite in the crystal island. At least that's the only way I could think of it and it still make sense. erm

Jargon343
Originally posted by BlackC@
It drains him of his powers because when Kryptons' red sun exploded, it covered the debris of Krypton in the red suns' radiation. Remember, under the light of a red sun Krytonians are mortal. If we got near a rock that was covered in radiation from our sun, we would get pretty sick too.

If you were hanging out with a rock that was emitting powerful radiation, it wouldn't matter where it got that radiation from. Whether it be our sun or another star or a nuclear explosion. All that would matter would be how badly it was contaminated.

BlackC@
That, my friend, is called a plot hole.

Slowhand
It is my contention that the Kryptonite necklace that Luthor gave Superman to wear was pure (right from the source) product. The chuck of rock that Luthor created in the Atlantic Ocean was not solid Kryptonite and possibly, a less potent variant. That would explain how he was able to launnch that big rock into space when he had a Kryptonite shiv in his kidney..

I hope that if there is another Superman film (please, please, please!), the screen writer will not rely on Kryptonite to fell Superman. There are other ways of putting the smackdown on him.

Dr. Zaius

And my limit has been reached.

My will is for all on this board to kneel before Zaius!

roughrider
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
And my limit has been reached.

My will is for all on this board to kneel before Zaius!

Go home, Orangutan. stick out tongue

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by roughrider
Go home, Orangutan. stick out tongue

You first, eh?

roughrider
Isn't Clint Eastwood waiting to drive you, in his pickup truck? stick out tongue

redcaped
The 1948 first series-chapter "Man of Steel" he fell and lost pulse but as the rock was covered again he revived. Superman can die "apparently" to us and revive...he is different. Kryptonite is the opposite of yellow sun=sun is Superman kryptonite is Superman.

redcaped
The sun and minerals combined as a balance, but we don't know Krypton's full story. In time the minerals grew in bigger proportions caused by moisture as the sun approached, creating the breakdown.

TheFilmProphet

Well for one the kryptonite necklace was many times the amount of kryptonite Superman still had lodged inside of him after Lois removed most of it. Second, the kryptonite on the necklace was from Addis Ababa where a portion of the debris landed directly from the source thus making it much more potent and pure.

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zmoygp.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zmp0cy.jpg

redcaped
1978<2006 that belongs to an old movie and nothing from it counts in my list. No spamming.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by redcaped
1978<2006 that belongs to an old movie and nothing from it counts in my list. No spamming.

What do you mean nothing from it counts? Superman Returns is a sequel to those first 2 films, so it directly connects together regardless. Spamming? Please...I've been here for years, there's no need.

redcaped
There is absolutely no evidence at all that this movie is where 1 and 2 left off. Yes, I heard it but that's just giving you an inside...a clue but not the actual statement. You've got to be clear with the audience all the time because sometimes they don't follow.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by redcaped
There is absolutely no evidence at all that this movie is where 1 and 2 left off. Yes, I heard it but that's just giving you an inside...a clue but not the actual statement.

It's fact my friend, Returns is a sequel to Superman 2 whether it properly continues the story from then or not does not change this.

Additionally, in case you didn't notice the pics I posted are entirely relevant considering Bryan Singer included the origin of the kryptonite stold from the museum by Lex Luthor being that of Addis Ababa....again. There is a an all too obvious crystal clear shot of the label underneath the broken glass case in Returns when the camera zooms in and the text takes up about half the screen.

Dan-El
Radiation poisoning

BlackC@
But it's said that if Superman would dive into the sun his atoms would become over-charged and he would die.

sheldogg
Who really cares this forum has prob been dead for a while but...did anyone else notice the length of the shot while Luthor's island floats off into zero gravity? Yeah...a director like Singer doesn't hold a shot like that for no reason. At some future juncture this giant krytponite meteor is going to cause trouble for the man of steel...it's a meteor now, ja? Got a powerful load of those mass-forming crystals on it too. Anyone else thinking this meteor is going to collide with a large stable mass (a planet in the milky way in all likelihood, given the Dickensian storyboard nature of ppl writing stuff like this) and create a new version of pre-apocalyptic version of the planet Krypton itself?

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by sheldogg
Who really cares this forum has prob been dead for a while but...did anyone else notice the length of the shot while Luthor's island floats off into zero gravity? Yeah...a director like Singer doesn't hold a shot like that for no reason. At some future juncture this giant krytponite meteor is going to cause trouble for the man of steel...it's a meteor now, ja? Got a powerful load of those mass-forming crystals on it too. Anyone else thinking this meteor is going to collide with a large stable mass (a planet in the milky way in all likelihood, given the Dickensian storyboard nature of ppl writing stuff like this) and create a new version of pre-apocalyptic version of the planet Krypton itself?
I'm not. It seems more likely it would form a giant ball of jagged kryptonite crystals.

SuperkatmanX
honestly i have only but one way to resolve this.. CAUSE HIS FREAAKIN SUPERMAN!!!

GorJess
Originally posted by SuperkatmanX
honestly i have only but one way to resolve this.. CAUSE HIS FREAAKIN SUPERMAN!!! laughing out loud another way to resolve this is to all agree to disagree and drink shots rolling on floor laughing big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.