on social equality...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alliance
Personally...I believe every man is endowed with certian inealieable rights.

Aside from that...there has never been a society where people have equal social status.

Could a society exist and survive if everyone was a social equal? Is this a goal for society? Or is having a top and bottom essential for the dynamic of a healthy society?

Eis
I assume you mean 'inalienable', however, I don't believe we will ever live in a society where everyone has the exact same social status but we might get somewhat close, which I think should be a goal.

Wonderer
It is not worth forcing society to the state in which it should be, but the world would truly be a better place if everyone was treated with equal respect and helped each other. In a selfless, respectful, kind and tranquil society, nobody would have to fear anything. And if society was unconditionally helpfull and accomodating, then poverty would not have existed.

It is a goal we should all strive towards.

Mindship
In a nutshell: as long as there is desire - specifically, in this context, a desire to "be better than the next guy" - we will not have a truly fair and equitable society. Tying this into that other thread: we need to be the master of our minds, not the other way around.

misha
No I don't think we're ever going to live in a society where everyone gets along and everyone has equal rights - simply because (generally) those who have the most power don't care for those things.
I think the best thing to do is stop wondering if these things will ever happen and start doing something about them! That way we at least have a start.

Atlantis001

redcaped
You're all wrong. People seem to be better or inferior according to the situation and what makes the situation...the world makes it. You can be a wise person from birth trapped in misery or just the opposite. The only way to create a difference/change/improvement is by doing so...they need to see results, not words.

Regret
Originally posted by Alliance

Aside from that...there has never been a society where people have equal social status.

Could a society exist and survive if everyone was a social equal? Is this a goal for society? Or is having a top and bottom essential for the dynamic of a healthy society?

Mormons believe that this state could, and should, occur.

It requires the members of the society to live in a more selfless manner than is currently the norm. You should do some research into early Mormon settlement of Utah, particularly if it refers to the Law of Consecration or the United Order. I believe that the type of society you refer to is the style they lived under.

Regret
Here is a link to a Church history reference for the United Order.

Church History Intitute Manual

You want chapter 31 Pg. 402-405 The section United Order.

Eis
Rich men, women, black men, proletarians, homosexual men, atheist were all treated exactly equally?

Regret
Originally posted by Eis
Rich men, women, black men, proletarians, homosexual men, atheist were all treated exactly equally?

Lol, this isn't a debate about sexuality or discrimination. I believe Alliance is referring to social standing in the economic class distinction, not in everyone agreeing with everyone else's views. The society they were attempting is what I believe Alliance is referring to.

Although, it is worth mentioning that even a group of people that believed the same, and lost nearly everything they owned to follow that belief, failed at it.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Alliance

I am not a functionalist, thus I do not believe that ineqality - financial or enthnic, is necessary for the healthy society.
It just sin't natural for a society to understand its inferiours through possesions, gender and colour of their skin.

Soleran
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I am not a functionalist, thus I do not believe that ineqality - financial or enthnic, is necessary for the healthy society.
It just sin't natural for a society to understand its inferiours through possesions, gender and colour of their skin.

How about if we based soley on achievments instead?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Soleran
How about if we based soley on achievments instead?

I think that would be extreamly difficult in the world we live now, because of the enthnic, gender and socio-economic factors affecting such.

Soleran
I think that would be extreamly difficult in the world we live now, because of the enthnic, gender and socioeconomic factors affecting such.

Certainly if we look at the most common restricting factors such as ethnic, gender and socioeconomic we could say it would be difficult. However who's to say it should be easy anyway?

Redcaped said it best "The only way to create a difference / change / improvement is by doing so...they need to see results, not words."

The first way to change a situation is to make the decision a change needs to be made, after that its relatively easy.

So I believe that everyone does deserve certain rights, but not everyone deserves the same lifestyle/privileges, thats just me though.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Soleran
So I believe that everyone does deserve certain rights, but not everyone deserves the same lifestyle/privileges, thats just me though.

What do you mean?

We are very weird. We are ruthless and not so at the same time. Our society in certain aspects is the survival of the fittest but in many many others its not, since we tend to care for those who can't take care of themselves, such as kids, old people, disabled...so in that sense, it isn't survival of the fittest.

Eis
Originally posted by Regret
Lol, this isn't a debate about sexuality or discrimination. I believe Alliance is referring to social standing in the economic class distinction, not in everyone agreeing with everyone else's views. The society they were attempting is what I believe Alliance is referring to.

Although, it is worth mentioning that even a group of people that believed the same, and lost nearly everything they owned to follow that belief, failed at it.
Well, social equality is social equality it goes further than economic equality.

Mindship
We are very weird. We are ruthless and not so at the same time. Our society in certain aspects is the survival of the fittest but in many many others its not, since we tend to care for those who can't take care of themselves, such as kids, old people, disabled...so in that sense, it isn't survival of the fittest.

That, I think is the essence of the human condition. We are angel and demon, monster and hero in one being, one species, a creature poised self-aware between Fear of Death and Embrace of Life. We know where we are from and strive for what we can be.

Regret
Originally posted by Eis
Well, social equality is social equality it goes further than economic equality.

Social equality is a pipe dream. There is no method for this to occur. If people regard another in a more positive, or negative, light than another, for any reason, then you have social inequality. Social inequality builds on itself at this point and the gaps grow. So, if social equality is the question then it is an impossible feet. Also, any form of cohesive effort would require someone, or a group of someones, taking the lead. This will cause an increased probability of deference to that leader by those that followed him, and he will likely take the lead again. The social gap will increase.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Regret
Social equality is a pipe dream. There is no method for this to occur. If people regard another in a more positive, or negative, light than another, for any reason, then you have social inequality. Social inequality builds on itself at this point and the gaps grow. So, if social equality is the question then it is an impossible feet. Also, any form of cohesive effort would require someone, or a group of someones, taking the lead. This will cause an increased probability of deference to that leader by those that followed him, and he will likely take the lead again. The social gap will increase.

I disagree thumb down

The Methods would most likely be moderate Liberation and Open minded education.

Social Inequality is the result of fear, greed, hate and bias. To rid of social inequality we must DISCOURAGE irrational fear, greed, hate, and discrimination.

Conservatism slows down Social Equality Progress due to its tendency to stay with tradition "take the safe route" and inability to open its mind to other ways of living. Conservatism is ultamately a lifestyle system of ORDER based on what seemed to work in the past. IT is encouraged by intolerance, fear, bias, and sometimes Hate. It is also strengthened by an illusion of a "perfect world" where everyone thinks the same way and does the same thing. BORINGyawn

Regret
It has been shown that man will form groups of us and them. If your socially equal community has a them to compare themselves to, then yes it could occur. But, if there is not a them, they will split into groups of us and them. It will occur, once it does social equality will disappear.

Soleran
If there is competition there will be differentiation....................

Tangible God
Plus compensation, remuneration and restitutionation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.