Wtf

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Is anyone else angry that Superman Returns isn't doing that well at the box office. It's doing well but not where I think many people thought it would be, including myself. It definetly should have done better than War of the Worlds in it's opening weekend. I even expected it to rival Spiderman 1 and 2 in terms of opening weekends and overall gross; but now I see that's almost an impossibility. I loved the Spiderman movies but Superman Returns IMO is better and it would of been nice to see this iconic figure top the box office records in terms of opening weekend and overall gross.
Sadly I think it's just a reflection of modern society, Superman isn't as important to people (especially younger generations including my own) as it once was. Superman used to be the figure that Americans could unite under, he fights for truth, justice, and the American way. Now, it seems, to most people he's nothing more than another comic book superhero, people forget he was the first superhero, and even though i absolutely love Spiderman 1 and 2, and Batman Begins they don't have nearly as epic a story or feel as Superman the characters or Superman Returns.

WrathfulDwarf
It's number #1 at the box office...that's not bad. There is no way any comic book movie will rival any movie with a Marvel Comics character. Hype always prevails in the end.

xmarksthespot
That... or the Spider-Man movies were just... better.

This is Superman, the first Superman movie in 20 years. If anything hype should have been on its side.

sithsaber408
Box office isn't always the deciding factor in how good a film is.

Most reviews (7 or 8 out of ten here, on rottentomatoes, and with most critics like TIME, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, Larry King) are good or GREAT and say that the movie is awesome.

X3 (which I personally loved) stick out tongue got shitty reviews from both established journalists and internet forum chatters....

yet it still managed to set a few box office records and make it's money back.

This movie will be viewed as successful in terms of its story, depth, and truth to the source material.

I've yet to see it (going tomorrow on 4th of July) but I watched all trailers, the 11 clips on IGN, am totally spoiled by all the reviews here, and watched Superman and Superman II this week.....

I think its safe to say that I will enjoy it.

First time out of the gate in 20 years, and I WANT Williams music.

I WANT to see him save a plane and tell Lois it's still the safest way to fly.

I WANT Luthor to come up with a hair-brained scheme. (Better than being Zod's be-otch.)

I WANT my wooshing opening credits and my smile-by flying over the Earth at the end.

The next movie can take care of other things.

I would be curious to see if the film hasnt' topped 200 mil by NEXT mon. (currently at 84 mil.)

Also, once people have seen Pirates, Miami Vice and other films that will pass away soon, I can see them still catching a 2nd or 3rd showing of this in late August or even Sept.

It may win in the end, we shall have to see. smile

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Box office isn't always the deciding factor in how good a film is.

Read you loud and clear. If the box office sales decide whether it's a good or bad movie. Then by that logic Titanic is the greatest movie ever. Whereas any independent films are the worst.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Read you loud and clear. If the box office sales decide whether it's a good or bad movie. Then by that logic Titanic is the greatest movie ever. Whereas any independent films are the worst.

Right. It's not a 1:1 corellation. And we're so glutted on $100Mil+ openings in our society that anything less seems like a letdown. It opened on a Wed, so it was trying mroe for the 5-day take than a monster weekend.

As long as comic movies keep doing well enough for more to be made, whether they are the same franchise (Superman in this case) or smaller characters (DD, Ghost Rider, etc.) then it's us, the fans, who win.

smile

xmarksthespot
Box office isn't always the deciding factor in how good a film is.Originally posted by sithsaber408
The next movie can take care of other things.The box office may not make the film.. but it does play a role in whether there will be another.
I would be curious to see if the film hasnt' topped 200 mil by NEXT mon. (currently at 84 mil.)84 million over 5 days. 52 in the weekend. I wouldn't bet cold hard cash on it reaching 200 next Monday considering Pirates opens next weekend.

Even being incredibly generous and saying it only drops an implausible 20% in its second weekend against the backdrop of Pirates i.e. 40 million, it would have to make another 80 million throughout this working week.

Jimmy Buggs
flop

sithsaber408
You're forgetting that many people aren't working today, and that many more have tomorrow off for the 4th of July. (Me, my wife, my bro-in-law, his wife, and 2 of our friends are watching it tomorrow)

I saw Cars yesterday, with my dad and lil sis, and when I poked my head in Supes, it was packed full of people.

As I said, box office a great film does not make, but it's still too early to tell if this is gonna fail.

You saw it X, I'm curious to see if you think it has good legs on it, and that it may last through most of the summer in the top 5?

xmarksthespot
You're forgetting that many people aren't working today, and that many more have tomorrow off for the 4th of July. (Me, my wife, my bro-in-law, his wife, and 2 of our friends are watching it tomorrow)80 million over the working week and a 20% drop are still highly implausible.
I saw Cars yesterday, with my dad and lil sis, and when I poked my head in Supes, it was packed full of people.

As I said, box office a great film does not make, but it's still too early to tell if this is gonna fail.

You saw it X, I'm curious to see if you think it has good legs on it, and that it may last through most of the summer in the top 5? I think it will have "reasonable" legs, but reasonable relative to the fact that it will face a lot of competition from Pirates, as well as the Devil Wears Prada doing surprisingly well and sucking away the chick audience. It's not something I'd see twice but there are people who will I'm sure. There isn't really much going on for the rest of summer so it will still likely do well enough.

badabing
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I hated Titanic. My girlfriend dragged me to that 3 1/2 mush fest. Anyway, I'm sure Superman Returns will end up doing great.

roughrider
It's almost the same opening King Kong had last Christmas; a bit less than they expected. But, there are other reasons - (1) Length. KK was a half hour longer than was needed, which made some kids restless, and I noticed some restless people at my showing of SR (2) Greater emphasis on the relationships and romatic triangle, at the expense of action people expected to see - KK had same problem (3) Both were very-long awaited projects with defeaning hype. Sometimes, there is too much hype.
I can see it breaking 200 million domestically by the end, and even more oversees, and it will be a success. Then, they will address the nagging problems with this interpretation, and fix it for the sequel.

sithsaber408
thumb up yes

xmarksthespot
Depends on how you define "success". If indeed on average the studio only makes around 50% of the final gross, then the film needs to generate around 600+ million at least in ticket sales just to break even (and that's excluding overseas prints and marketing costs) - and an opening weekend of 50 million doesn't really bode well for a 600 million box office take. It may not actually turn a reasonable profit until DVD sales play a part.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Depends on how you define "success". If indeed on average the studio only makes around 50% of the final gross, then the film needs to generate around 600+ million at least in ticket sales just to break even (and that's excluding overseas prints and marketing costs) - and an opening weekend of 50 million doesn't really bode well for a 600 million box office take. It may not actually turn a reasonable profit until DVD sales play a part.

A lot of films anymore don't mkae a profit until DVD sales and rentals, so you're right in that respect. Even big openings sometimes just get their money back, then the sales give them their profits.

roughrider
The big thing to watch is North America, because in the Hollywood community it's about optics. Godzilla in 1998 did over $400 million worldwide, but barely $130 million domestically; half of what the studio thought it would make. And though nearly all films can eventually be profitable through DVD and cable, that opening run means something for publicity's sake. The North American market is the first bragging point. For Superman Returns, I would say anything below $150 million will be looked at as failure; $150 and up can be spun into a success story. It's just tough, because this film cost as much as $100 million more than Batman Begins, if the stories are true.

calvinNhobbes
I just saw the Superman movie. Here is why it isn't doing so well.

1. The chemistry between Bosworth and the guy who plays superman is non existant.

2. The music was relied on too much. there was more noise than script.

3. Too much drama killed the climax.

4. Inconsistent premise with the use of kryptonite.

5. The lack of appeal in the Lois character besides her attractivenes.

6. The lack of dialogue to build up the lois lane and clark kent relationship.

7. do yourself a favor and save you money. This movie sucks!!!

Don't be suckered in by the previews like I was.
Spiderman was a good movie whereas this movie was cow manure.
Plus sales don't make a good movie. Don't be a drone.

systemshock2
If the movie reaches at least $200 million to $250 million in the US, and around $400 to $450 million worldwide, there's a much better chance at a sequel within two to three years, especially considering the merchandise and DVD add-ins.

But if it doesn't get past $200 million dollars in the US, and it somehow only makes around $350 million dollars worldwide (remember that Superman is predominantly an American icon. Much like Batman Begins did, I'll wager that it's worldwide gross will be less than the American gross), then I highly doubt a sequel will be made until some creative changes are unfortunately made.

Theater chains keep almost exactly 50% of all revenues, so for this thing to break even it'll have to make at least $400 million worlwide.

This situation sucks. I really liked this movie. I want this film to get to the $250 million point here at least and $450 to $500 worldwide. Hopefully it'll pull a Batman Begins, which grossed 75% of its remaining gross after its first week, meaning it gets some really strong legs. There's some indications that it might since it's a really feel-good movie, and generally those kind of movies have really long legs, so maybe it'll pull it off.

xmarksthespot
Comic superhero movies tend be top heavy and have crap legs. BB is an exception not the rule.

Batman Begins had phenomenal box office legs, but from what I can find 35% of its domestic gross was made by it's opening weekend. If SR performs similarly then it could end up with domestic box office of around 240 million. However there are two things that BB had favouring profitability that SR won't, very little competition in the weeks following its opening and a production budget 100 million dollars less than SR.

With a production budget of 250 and (probably) somewhere in the region of 60 million in prints and (lackluster) marketing it will need to make like 6-700 million.

MattDay
ahh yes, give it time, people a lot of people are holding their money for pirates of carribean, when they see it and go yea thats good, now that superman film... the box office will jump up... all my mates want to see both and will go see both, just not superman first.... stop worrying that is a fact... a lot of people are just waiting, thats why im not worried that there wont be a sequel becaues there will be! ciao!

smiley8
Give the film a bit of time, all we've heard here in the UK is that it did the the best 3 day opening for WB and that all is reviews are positive, although it probably aint gonna beat titanic, even that took a while for people to go and see it and hear how good it was!

H. S. 6
That... or the Spider-Man movies were just... better.

This is Superman, the first Superman movie in 20 years. If anything hype should have been on its side.

thumb up

I was going to say that.

sithsaber408
As for Superman Returns box office (which someone else mentioned)-- it ain't bad. $108 million domestically (as of Tuesday) and $20 million internationally. This comparison from Bluetights.net: the seven-day opening of Superman Returns is tracking higher than the first seven days of Fellowship of the Ring, Pirates of the Caribbean, Chronicles of Narnia, Finding Nemo, and Batman Begins, all of which went on to VERY successful runs. For something a little more recent, SR is ahead of X3's opening earnings internationally. Also, don't forget that at 5 million dollars, Superman Returns is the highest-grossing IMAX opening on record.

Edit: Boxoffice mojo says that it has 119mil here and 20 mil foregin for a total of 139 mil.

I think it might pull another 20mil (conservatively) this weekend, (with Pirates opening) which would put it at about 160mil total.

Hardly anything to scoff at.

Worldwide it will hit at least 250mil before closing up shop, and will make the rest back on dvd.

Singer's already talking about the sequel anyway, but I'm curious to see if this doesn't have long legs on it.

I already plan to see it again in Aug. or Sept. when all the other films have run thier course, and I fully expect this movie to be in the top 5 til then, too. smile

xmarksthespot
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest; $55.5 million in one day, $3 million more than Superman Returns did over it's entire 3-day opening frame.

With a friday-to-friday drop somewhere between 55-60% against the PotC box office juggernaut, the Man of Steel is looking at a dismal second frame of somewhere between $20-25 million, giving it a domestic total of somewhere between $140-145 million. For a film made on a reported production budget of over $250 million this is unfortunately something "to scoff at".

For comparison The Devil Wears Prada, a niche film made on a budget of only $35 million has already made around $50+ million domestic gross.

Those kind of legs don't bode well for the last son of Krypton.

Maybe I'm being a bit premature but WBs probably should of gone with the Death of Superman, as it stands they're witnessing the Death of Superman Returns.

cartman23
ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

Adam Warlock
I actually enjoyed POTC 2 better than I did Superman Returns. Both were good movies. But Superman Returns had it's slow points. While POTC 2 was alot to absorb, it was entertaining. POTC 2 does not bode well for Superman Returns chances of reclaiming box office glory.

roughrider
Many experts - like Premiere - thought POTC 2 was going to be no. 1 this summer anyway. It's still getting the same mixed reviews that the first one got, while SR has gotten more positive reviews. SR will still get past the $200 million mark in North America, and that will be considered successful enough, I believe.

Jimmy Buggs
200 Mil = a flop. Superman is dead! They should of waited and made the superman movie with the smallvillie cast.

roughrider
Hell no. Smallville is too outside of continuity.

Adam Warlock
POTC 2 practically grossed what Superman Returns did in 2 weeks, in just 3 days.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/;_ylt=AoDdCP8wK4oEWHO9Q6uKDdFfVXcA

roughrider
The first POTC grossed only $44 million it's first weekend - it ended up with $300 million by the end of the year. Batman Begins didn't have the biggest opening either, but had strong legs. Let's see how the next few weeks play out for both. X-Men 3 had a gigantic opening too; the amount of which will end up being nearly half it's North American gross.

Originally posted by Adam Warlock
I actually enjoyed POTC 2 better than I did Superman Returns. Both were good movies. But Superman Returns had it's slow points. While POTC 2 was alot to absorb, it was entertaining. POTC 2 does not bode well for Superman Returns chances of reclaiming box office glory.

It's sad POTC is doing so well because almost every teenage girl in america is going to see it just because "it's that new jonny depp and orlando bloom movie." They would see anything will a famous good looking actor in it, and this movie has TWO of them so they're heads are exploding with excitement...disgusting.

And you said something interesting in your post above, you mentioned that Superman Returns has its slow points. The question I have is why is that a bad thing? It seems people in modern american society need something new and exciting every 2 minutes or they get bored. That's not only sad but it makes me sick to my stomach.

btw i wasn't blasting you or your post justing making an observation based on your post

NPC
SR is doing bad because the director sucks, FIRE SINGER IMMEDIATELY! Dont let him go NEAR the sequel if there is one.
Those actions sequences sucked balls, watch a few action sequences of smallville an compare them to SR, its pathetic. If they just would have had the action sequences shot better, bigger an more over the top, the film might of been able to make more.
Action clearly isnt Singer's strong point, get him the hell outta there!

Adam Warlock
Originally posted by 113
It's sad POTC is doing so well because almost every teenage girl in america is going to see it just because "it's that new jonny depp and orlando bloom movie." They would see anything will a famous good looking actor in it, and this movie has TWO of them so they're heads are exploding with excitement...disgusting.

Superman has been building it's hype for nearly 20 years and still got beat out by POTC 2 which only had a few years of hype.

The only reason I saw POTC 2, is because I saw a free screening of it a night before it was supposed to come out with my friends. My friends own our local theatre. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

Originally posted by 113
And you said something interesting in your post above, you mentioned that Superman Returns has its slow points. The question I have is why is that a bad thing? It seems people in modern american society need something new and exciting every 2 minutes or they get bored. That's not only sad but it makes me sick to my stomach.

btw i wasn't blasting you or your post justing making an observation based on your post

They made Superman Returns too much like the classic Superman films. Slow and a little hokey at times. POTC 2 had it's moments as well as it's fair share of comedy. This film was all right, I liked it. My kids found it boring though. So did my 13 year old nephew and his friends. If I were to compare SR to another movie, I'd compare it to King Kong. Both movies were quite long, and both will disappoint your average paying customer.

sithsaber408
Superman has only been out 12 days, and its cleared 170 mil:

Domestic: $141,642,667 79.8%
+ Foreign: $35,800,000 20.2%

= Worldwide: $177,442,667

I know it cost 250 mil, but it will for sure clear at least 200 in the next 2 weeks.

Plus it will make tons more on dvd since most people (myself inlcuded) loved the film and would buy it for at home.

Plus, 50 or 60 mil of the budget was spent in development for over 10 years, before a single frame of film was shot.

Now that they have the crew, the actors, the director and everybody saying that the next film is coming, they will probably be able to make it for less money.

Either way, we're getting a whole trilogy out of this.

Superman has Returned fools, get with it.
cool

xmarksthespot
Superman has only been out 12 days, and its cleared 170 mil:

Domestic: $141,642,667 79.8%
+ Foreign: $35,800,000 20.2%

= Worldwide: $177,442,667

I know it cost 250 mil, but it will for sure clear at least 200 in the next 2 weeks.

Plus it will make tons more on dvd since most people (myself inlcuded) loved the film and would buy it for at home.

Plus, 50 or 60 mil of the budget was spent in development for over 10 years, before a single frame of film was shot.

Now that they have the crew, the actors, the director and everybody saying that the next film is coming, they will probably be able to make it for less money.

Either way, we're getting a whole trilogy out of this.

Superman has Returned fools, get with it.
cool
SR - 10-day total = $126 million

PotC - 3-day total = $132 million

Even X-Men 3 - 5-day total = $130 million

SR Second week drop ~58% to $21 million
Similar drops in following weeks would end up with a 3rd and 4th frame of around $10 and $5 million respectively.

If it reaches $200 million domestic it will probably crawl there rather than soar there. Domestic may not hit $200 million in it's full run if it continues to suffer similar declines. This film will play better domestic than international.

DVD sales vs torrents.

Domestic box office the studio take ends up being roughly 50%. The $250 million reported budget excludes domestic prints and marketing and other miscellaneous expenses.

They'll have to make the second film on less money, the studio wouldn't have it any other way.

roughrider
Originally posted by NPC
SR is doing bad because the director sucks, FIRE SINGER IMMEDIATELY! Dont let him go NEAR the sequel if there is one.
Those actions sequences sucked balls, watch a few action sequences of smallville an compare them to SR, its pathetic. If they just would have had the action sequences shot better, bigger an more over the top, the film might of been able to make more.
Action clearly isnt Singer's strong point, get him the hell outta there!

So, I guess you hated his work on the X-Men films, too?

sithsaber408
Domestic: $144,297,955 80.1%
+ Foreign: $35,800,000 19.9%

= Worldwide: $180,097,955

It went up another 3 mil. on a Mon.

I'm thinking that it will most definitely have cleared 200 (here and abroad) by the end of this weekend, and will probably end up with around 225-250 before all is said and done.

As I said before, dvd will make up the rest of the budget and then the profits.

This film is hardly a failure.

xmarksthespot
I'm thinking that it will most definitely have cleared 200 (here and abroad) by the end of this weekend, and will probably end up with around 225-250 before all is said and done.

As I said before, dvd will make up the rest of the budget and then the profits.

This film is hardly a failure. Unless you're expecting it to pretty much match it's opening weekend, and double it's second weekend, in it's third weekend huh I have no idea how you expect it to make $200 million domestic.

These days a large budget film that doesn't make over $200 million domestic is a relative failure. erm
Whether or not it will make a double century is still up in the air.

systemshock2
Originally posted by 113

That is so true. Just the other day when I saw it again, there were many teeny bopper girls in the ticket lines, and I overheard nearly all of them say "Pirates of the Carribean" at the ticket booth. It's sad that a great movie like Superman Returns, with an iconic character, a great storyline, and incredible actors, is getting pummeled because a bunch of teeny bopper girls think Orlando Bloom is so hot, or because they want to see the latest "it" girl, Kiera Knightly. sad

SupezM'
Lots of fans of the Spiderman movies, I thought they sucked.

Should've been called Manspider.

Osaka
Either superman has been out of the public spotlight for too long and nobody cares anymore or the public is over saturated with comic book hero movies.

sithsaber408
Domestic: $146,926,451 80.4%
+ Foreign: $35,800,000 19.6%

= Worldwide: $182,726,451

As of yesterday.

This film will brake 200 mil. by this weekend for sure, and probably make back its entire 260 mil. budget(if you count both here and abroad) before it becomes a best-selling dvd.

I'm going to see it again in Aug., how bout y'all?

xmarksthespot
Domestic: $146,926,451 80.4%
+ Foreign: $35,800,000 19.6%

= Worldwide: $182,726,451

As of yesterday.

This film will brake 200 mil. by this weekend for sure, and probably make back its entire 260 mil. budget(if you count both here and abroad) before it becomes a best-selling dvd.

I'm going to see it again in Aug., how bout y'all? Studios do not receive 100% of the box office grosses. no expression

brainchild81
Originally posted by 113
Is anyone else angry that Superman Returns isn't doing that well at the box office. It's doing well but not where I think many people thought it would be, including myself. It definetly should have done better than War of the Worlds in it's opening weekend. I even expected it to rival Spiderman 1 and 2 in terms of opening weekends and overall gross; but now I see that's almost an impossibility. I loved the Spiderman movies but Superman Returns IMO is better and it would of been nice to see this iconic figure top the box office records in terms of opening weekend and overall gross.
Sadly I think it's just a reflection of modern society, Superman isn't as important to people (especially younger generations including my own) as it once was. Superman used to be the figure that Americans could unite under, he fights for truth, justice, and the American way. Now, it seems, to most people he's nothing more than another comic book superhero, people forget he was the first superhero, and even though i absolutely love Spiderman 1 and 2, and Batman Begins they don't have nearly as epic a story or feel as Superman the characters or Superman Returns.

Aunt May says: "You expected too much. He's not Spider-Man you know" smile

What really annoys me is that I haven't received any of the box office grosses from any of these movies. WTF's up w/that? mad

meep-meep
Originally posted by 113

1 Superman wasn't the first comic book hero.

and

2 Superman IS just a comic book character.

Saying that the moral fabric of american society is somehow at fault for low box office showings of Superman is presumptive to the extreme. In other words think before you say something like this.

sithsaber408
Studios do not receive 100% of the box office grosses. no expression laughing out loud

X, you really want this movie to fail, huh?

systemshock2
I've been telling everyone I know about how good the movie is to try and get more people to see it. Plus I plan on seeing it at least once or twice a week until it's out of theaters (I've already seen it four times now). And lastly I posted a bulletin on my myspace account to try and tell my Myspace friends to see it too. I encourage everyone to try and do any of these things if they'd like to see Superman Returns at least possibly get to the $200 million mark.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by systemshock2
I've been telling everyone I know about how good the movie is to try and get more people to see it. Plus I plan on seeing it at least once or twice a week until it's out of theaters (I've already seen it four times now). And lastly I posted a bulletin on my myspace account to try and tell my Myspace friends to see it too. I encourage everyone to try and do any of these things if they'd like to see Superman Returns at least possibly get to the $200 million mark.

This sounds like a religious crusade. Why do you care? There have been plenty of movies I liked that didn't make bank at the box office. I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Bottom line, WB knew this film was a falilure and has been ringing its hands since the end of opening week when they realized that they wouldn't make their money back on domestic ticket sales. (Xmarksthespot is right about his financial analysis.) I wouldn't be surprised if several of the execs in charge of this project had already jumped out of their office window. Also, don't forget, $260 million is what the studio spent--or admits to spending--before the marketing and promotional campaign. (Add another $40 million). Go see this movie 12 times! It won't change the basic dollars and cents facts.

Guys, this movie is fading because it just wasn't that good.

xmarksthespot
laughing out loud

X, you really want this movie to fail, huh? No. I am just stating facts.

systemshock2
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
This sounds like a religious crusade. Why do you care? There have been plenty of movies I liked that didn't make bank at the box office. I didn't lose any sleep over it.

No, I'm not really losing any sleep over it either. And it's not a religious crusade for me at all, as every item I mentioned is just really easy and convenient for me.

a) the theater is less than a block away from my apartment complex.

b) all the good summer movies are already out and I've already seen them, except POTC since that looks bad to me. Superman Returns was the best of the lot so there's no qualms with me seeing it again and again

c) it took about 15 seconds to post that Myspace bulletin

d) my friends and family members know by now that I've seen the movie already so they have all asked me about the movie, to which I respond with my enthusiastic recommendation

e) I care because Superman is my favorite comic-book character.

systemshock2
Studios do not receive 100% of the box office grosses.

That is so true. I had a friend who a few years ago worked at a theater and became good friends with the manager, and from what she told me theaters, over the run of a movie, keep about 50% of the total American gross.

With tentpole movies like Superman or POTC, the studios on the first week keep around 80% to 85% of the gross, with afterwards the percent balancing out so that by the time a movie is almost out of its initial run, the theaters are keeping almost 100% of the gross. All in all though this usually means around 50% of the gross eventually going to the theater owners.

Originally posted by meep-meep
1 Superman wasn't the first comic book hero.

and

2 Superman IS just a comic book character.

Saying that the moral fabric of american society is somehow at fault for low box office showings of Superman is presumptive to the extreme. In other words think before you say something like this.

1) He was the first comic book superhero. Spawned the birth of DC and Marvel.

2) To some people Superman is MORE than just a comic book character. And i'm defending this movie so passionately because I really think it's an amazing movie that you can really read into. Superman is a character that you can read into, just like EVERY character in any book, movie, or tv show. What annoys me is that people can't see past the nitpicky details and enjoy the really beautiful imagery in the movie.

Dr. Zaius
Nit-picky details like...poor writing, unthreatening villains, and ho-hum acting. You're right, 113, if only people could see past these things!

Look, I tend to agree with you on the beautiful image stuff, but nice pictures and good CGI don't make a good movie. By almost all objective standards, other than sheer hero worship, this movie was utterly forgetable.

roughrider
Studios count so much on DVD rentals and sales for films these days, the opening run of a film is just to get it off to a good start. That's partly why they have let budgets get so inflated; it's all the additional revenue streams later. This film will have to look respectable for it's opening run, but DVD will get it into the black for sure.

Nit-picky details like...poor writing, unthreatening villains, and ho-hum acting. You're right, 113, if only people could see past these things!

Look, I tend to agree with you on the beautiful image stuff, but nice pictures and good CGI don't make a good movie. By almost all objective standards, other than sheer hero worship, this movie was utterly forgetable.

I thought the writing was very good, wasn't great but very good. Lines like "You wrote how the world doesn't need a savior, but everyday I hear people crying out for one" ...that is one of my favorite quotes of all time right there. And the way they led up to that line was brilliant. I also thought Lex's lines were all very well done.

In terms of unthreatening villains, in the Donner films Lex was set up as a madman and wasn't portrayed as villainous as he is in the comics or in some tv incarnations. Singer is only continuing what Donner started. So if you wanna blast the writers and Singer for making Lex this way then really you're blasting Donner and his writers.

And in terms of acting, Kate Bosworth didn't really sit well with me from when i first heard she was cast, but what she lacked in the film I think the rest of the cast made up for brilliantly. I thought Brandon Routh really held is own in the film and he made a great Superman and made Clark a tiny bit more confident in himself than Donner made Clark. I thought that was refreshing, cause frankly after watching Superman I and II a bunch of times seeing Clark fall all over himself in every scene gets a bit annoying. (Not knocking Christopher Reeves cause he played that part really well, i'm knocking the writers that made him like that in the first place). I thought Spacey had a great performance which is what you expect from such a high-caliber actor, and Lex might have been forgettable in this movie but Lex was forgetteble since the beginning of this movie franchise (to me anyway).

sithsaber408
Domestic: $149,580,601 80.7%
+ Foreign: $35,800,000 19.3%

= Worldwide: $185,380,601

It went up another 3 mil. on a Wed.

What with our British friend making a thread to say that Supes premieres today in the U.K., and with at least 10 more mil. this weekend here at home (conservatively), I'm laying a bet that it will be at 215 mil worldwide by Mon.

Any takers?

xmarksthespot
Any takers? I'm going to be generous and say it only falls 50% this weekend and makes another $2.5 million from Thursday box office. Which by estimate gives it a relatively dismal domestic of around $165 million. Still nowhere near a double century.

Captain Jack has also pillaged Superman's overseas box office for the most part. It was down around 60% in a lot of countries. In opens in a few more countries - but it's facing the more universally appealing and better marketed Pirates. If there's one thing Disney knows that the WB doesn't it's marketing. Again if I'm being very generous I'll give it another $5-10 million in overseas box office.

So my estimate: ~$205-210 million worldwide.

Dr. Zaius
I'm going to be generous and say it only falls 50% this weekend and makes another $2.5 million from Thursday box office. Which by estimate gives it a relatively dismal domestic of around $165 million. Still nowhere near a double century.

Captain Jack has also pillaged Superman's overseas box office for the most part. It was down around 60% in a lot of countries. In opens in a few more countries - but it's facing the more universally appealing and better marketed Pirates. If there's one thing Disney knows that the WB doesn't it's marketing. Again if I'm being very generous I'll give it another $5-10 million in overseas box office.

So my estimate: ~$205-210 million worldwide.

xmarksthespot, do you work in Hollywood, by any chance?

Just curious.

xmarksthespot
xmarksthespot, do you work in Hollywood, by any chance?

Just curious. No I just read up on stuff like this every now and then out of interest.

I have some marketing background though... and frankly the SR marketing was shite.

Dr. Zaius
No I just read up on stuff like this every now and then out of interest.

I have some marketing background though... and frankly the SR marketing was shite.

Agree. I would characterize it as dyslexic.

The reason I asked is because you sound like a friend of mine who works up there and feeds me alot of the same information. He confirms that some of the WB execs in charge of this thing are already falling on their swords.

xmarksthespot
Not unexpected.

What is surprising though is Disney is cutting back its level of film production and staff even after the success of Pirates.

What else would surprise me? If this film reached $200 million domestic.

Dr. Zaius
Not unexpected.

What is surprising though is Disney is cutting back its level of film production and staff even after the success of Pirates.

Agree again. It ends up falling way short of $200 million on domestic ticket sales.

Heads will roll at WB.

the people in charge of marketing for this movie should take a large wooden broom and stick it up their asses. Even before the movie came out I was watching the tv-spots and I was like "wtf." The best trailer was the first teaser trailer. It gave superman that epic feel, that was brilliant, even my friends who don't know a lick about superman and some who are batman fans thought that trailer was amazing and couldn't stop watching it (like myself)...but after that initial trailer the marketing went way downhill.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by 113
the people in charge of marketing for this movie should take a large wooden broom and stick it up their asses. Even before the movie came out I was watching the tv-spots and I was like "wtf." The best trailer was the first teaser trailer. It gave superman that epic feel, that was brilliant, even my friends who don't know a lick about superman and some who are batman fans thought that trailer was amazing and couldn't stop watching it (like myself)...but after that initial trailer the marketing went way downhill.
For once, totally agree, 113.

Redwolf
I think there the reason SR didn't do aswell as Spiderman 1 & 2.

First, Superman has already had 4 previous movies years ago. While Spiderman had not. I'm positive the next Superman movie will make alot more.

sithsaber408

Domestic: $152,028,000 80.9%
+ Foreign: $35,800,000 19.1%

= Worldwide: $187,828,000

And that's as of Thur., heading into this weekend.

Well, it'll almost certainly crack 200-215mil this weekend world wide, but I think it has a good chance of making another 50 mil here at home in the next 2-3 weeks.

What else will people watch?

Clerks II? Miami Vice? Both will open well, but are rated R.

You, Me, & Dupree?
Yeah, a few chicks will drag guys to see it. I think most people are sick of seeing Owen Wilson playing a n'eer-do-well, lovable goof-ball who needs to get his shit together.

I can see Supes getting another 50 mil before Snakes On a Muthaf*ckin Plane opens to huge numbers.

Femi32

Guys, this movie is fading because it just wasn't that good.

I agree.

xmarksthespot
Well, it'll almost certainly crack 200-215mil this weekend world wide, but I think it has a good chance of making another 50 mil here at home in the next 2-3 weeks.You're apparently very naive over what makes a film a financial success.

Pirates made $196 million domestic in it's first seven days of release. It made more box office in it's inter-weekend period than SR did in it's opening weekend, and made nearly as much as SR's second frame on a Monday. This weekend Pirates will probably make roughly 5-6x as much box office as SR.

For one thing, no it doesn't really have a good chance of making another $50 million domestic in the next two weeks. If it even achieves this it will take most of, if not all of, it's domestic run.
For another, even if it did, taking 6 weeks to reach $200 million for a film budgeted at around $260 million is nothing to be that proud of. Considering the other studio's summer tentpole releases e.g. Pirates and X-Men, only took 8 (by my prediction) and 17 days respectively to reach the same figure; both costing far less to make.

Another box office success story albeit on a much smaller scale, The Devil Wears Prada, has made roughly half of SR's box office, and it was made on a budget of $35 million. Executives at 20th Century Fox are probably chuckling away right now at that Singer clip.
What else will people watch?As was made abundantly clear last weekend Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest and The Devil Wears Prada.

sithsaber408
Well X,... I guess I'll have my humble pie in slices. stick out tongue

It broke 200mil (internationaly, of course), but just barely.

To answer you, I do know what it takes to make a film a financial success, and what the studios look at. (and the difference between domestic and international sucess, and any combination therof.)

I'm in no way, shape, or form even trying to compare Superman Returns to POTC2.

One broke records all over the place and was a huge hit, the other is doing mariginally well (were it not for an inflated budget) and is limping along.

To me though, it won't be a failure if it cracks 200mil here, and makes another 50-60 mil abroad.

It went up against good competition, and wasn't marketed very well at all.

Maybe the positve reviews from established sources (TIME, Larry King, Premier, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, etc..) actually hurt it, since people seem to distrust them and shower box office on whatever the critics cite as ho-hum action movies. (see Dead Man's Chest, Xmen: Last Stand.)

In any event, if the film can make back most of its costs in theatres, then dvd's will provide the studios profits.

I am of the mind that a sequel is still coming, and that if they can make it for under 200 mil, then the studio will turn a better profit in 2009.

An article in Premier describing last years b.o. takes had this scale:

10-30 mil (bomb)
30-50 mil (misfire)
50-75 mil (sleeper)
100 mil+ (hit)
200 mil+ (blockbuster)

While you have to take in account budgets, I would say that Superman Returns is a hit, and may still make it to blockbuster status.

Currently, it needs another 36mil in the U.S. to do so:

Domestic: $164,316,103 68.1%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.9%

= Worldwide: $241,316,103

xmarksthespot
I recall an interesting anecdote about the show Entourage, in some of the B.O. stuff I've been reading. The star of the fictional Aquaman movie asks his manager if a $50 million opening would be good. The manager replies, it would be a disaster.

And for a summer tentpole film it is quite dismal to open to $50 million these days. Even moreso when one looks at inflation adjusted figures.

Those Premiere figures are much more applicable to a film like Prada on it's budget of $30 million than a film like SR. Frankly it makes more financial sense to make a Prada sequel than a SR sequel which is surreal. In absolute terms you can probably call it a blockbuster if it crosses the domestic double century, but in relative terms I wouldn't be so generous with my vocabulary.

Adam Warlock
Superman Returns got bounced from the number #2 spot domestically this week. It didn't even break 200 million domestically. Sure it reached 200 million World Wide. As of 7/16/06, Pirates is up to 383 million World Wide and has no signs of letting up.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/intl.htm

MattDay
well it was said it needed, 200 mil domestically for a good turn out, it will get there, the weekends will be the money jumps, as now most people have seen pirates, most of my mates are booking superman tickets now for... guess what the weekend, so i think the jumps up will occur on the coming weekends, people work dont you knowchair

MattDay
also the foreign domestic hasnt included UK (big income area) france, fairly big and a few other country's still havent been added to the total foreign income yet, so it will do good enough, people who hate superman are trying to antogise the situation beyond belief... like usual really, i ignore them... (xmarksthespot)2guns

MattDay
Im not getting lary X just leave it now, lets just let it run its course, and either hope or hope not, your opinion that they make a completely fresh start with a sequel to this reintroduction of the man of steel.

sithsaber408
Well, I'm glad 'ol Matty's gone, how bout you guys?

Anyway, here's the figures as of yesterday:

(For X marks, or anybody else, I'm just keeping tabs, not trying to argue that the film lived up to expectations, is better recieved than Pirates, etc....)

Domestic: $166,017,362 68.3%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.7%

= Worldwide: $243,017,362

Dr. Zaius
Well, I'm glad 'ol Matty's gone, how bout you guys?

Anyway, here's the figures as of yesterday:

(For X marks, or anybody else, I'm just keeping tabs, not trying to argue that the film lived up to expectations, is better recieved than Pirates, etc....)

Domestic: $166,017,362 68.3%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.7%

= Worldwide: $243,017,362

Amen to that, sithsaber408! What was the final straw? Not that that guy needed to provide any more reasons for his restriction.

Thanks, by the way, Wrathful Dwarf.

sithsaber408
Domestic: $167,742,734 68.5%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.5%

= Worldwide: $244,742,734

Got another mil.! Happy Dance

sad only about 33 more to go before its only 50 mil short of its budget.

Dr. Zaius
Domestic: $167,742,734 68.5%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.5%

= Worldwide: $244,742,734

Got another mil.! Happy Dance

sad only about 33 more to go before its only 50 mil short of its budget.

I read in a recent article online that $200 million domestic ticket sales is the magic number for WB. A final tally significantly below this number would jeapordize the future of the Singer franchise.

xmarksthespot
It's been consistently below the daily tallies of Batman Begins ever since the end of it's first week. Above by 17 million at the end of week one, dropping to a difference of 12 by the end of week 2, and now at a difference of about 10, so it will likely be a difference of about 9 by the end of this week. In its 4th weekend BB made just under 10, a conservative drop of around 45% for SR would give it 6 this weekend which will further reduce the margin to about 6.

Assuming this trend continues it may still make 200 million, as BB made 205 but if it does it will only just scrape in.

sithsaber408
Domestic: $169,310,014 68.7%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.3%

= Worldwide: $246,310,014

Add another 2 mil.

For all the Supes fans out there who liked this movie and want another one, GO SEE IT AGAIN this weekend or next weekend, and bring your family and friends.

We have to get the film AT LEAST another 30 mil before its out of theaters, and with it only making 1 or 2 mil a day, that looks doubtfull.

sithsaber408
Domestic: $170,967,498 68.9%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.1%

= Worldwide: $247,967,498

Not much of a change.

This weekend will be the real Litmus test, with Clerks II and Monster House and Ant Bully opening.

If Supes can stay in the top 5, I'd be really surprised.

Hopefully, we can come out of this weekend with another 10mil.

roughrider
The domestic tally is the one to really watch. It has to hit $200 million, to apparently satisfy the suits at Warner Bros. Your own backyard counts for a lot.

xmarksthespot
This weekend will be the real Litmus test, with Clerks II and Monster House and Ant Bully opening.

If Supes can stay in the top 5, I'd be really surprised.

Hopefully, we can come out of this weekend with another 10mil. There are four new films opening this week. I'd be willing to take a gentlemen's wager that it won't make the top 5.

A 17% drop to 10 million is highly implausible. Maybe 6.5 million.

systemshock2
Domestic: $169,310,014 68.7%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 31.3%

= Worldwide: $246,310,014

Add another 2 mil.

For all the Supes fans out there who liked this movie and want another one, GO SEE IT AGAIN this weekend or next weekend, and bring your family and friends.

We have to get the film AT LEAST another 30 mil before its out of theaters, and with it only making 1 or 2 mil a day, that looks doubtfull.

Don't worry buddy, I'll do my part and see it again this weekend, even though I've seen it six times now. smile And I'll keep letting my friends and family members who haven't seen it yet know how good it is. Just like you I want it to reach that $200 million mark.

sithsaber408
After Friday:

Domestic: $172,872,000 69.2%
+ Foreign: $77,000,000 30.8%

= Worldwide: $249,872,000

It'll make 200, probably after this weekend, next weekend, and the following one.

Three weeks from now, it will cross the mark, just you watch.

I predict it will take in 315mil, total worldwide.

MattDay
it'll make it, but the predictions of this movies success, may have been it's downfall.

I was at a party last night, the subject of the superman movie came up and everyone is getting it on dvd instead of going to the cinema, i bit my lip to stop from saying that it's not doing the best in the cinema, so go to the cinema lol

I can guess that the DVD sales will be better. Sound fair guys? i meen that was one party but everyone there said the same damn thing, which must reflect the UK's view on the movie atleast

xmarksthespot
These days when someone says "I'm going to wait for it to come out on DVD." what they really mean is "I'm downloading it."
It'll make 200, probably after this weekend, next weekend, and the following one.

Three weeks from now, it will cross the mark, just you watch.

I predict it will take in 315mil, total worldwide. It will make around 7 million by my guestimate Friday-Sunday this weekend. The Pirates juggernaut continues to chug, four new movies and two from last weekend will see Superman Returns fall to 8th place. To 9th place if The Devil Wears Prada holds better this weekend.

Three other movies begin wide release next weekend. SR will likely fall out of the top ten.

Being generous and assuming the film makes the same amount Batman Begins did in this same period it will be at 192 million "after this weekend, next weekend, and the following one." But I don't think it will make the same as BB in this period. BB was still 3rd place at the box office this same relative weekend - it had very little competition to deal with.

BB took 8 weeks to reach 200 million. SR is not holding anywhere near as well. It will take a similar timeframe if not longer.

roughrider
It took $7.4 million in the USA (as of today) for the weekend, for $178 million domestically, to date. That's in four weeks. I bet it will break $200 million in three weeks - one week better than Batman Begins.

POTC 2 is going gangbusters, but it's dropping over 50% a week. It should flatten out a little before $400 million domestically.
Miami Vice in one week...

In the next couple weeks it'll crawl to 200 it looks like. That's promising. Everyone who loved or liked it go see it again and a third time. I just saw it in imax 3d last night for the first time since opening weekend and i loved it all over again...SEE IT AGAIN!

roughrider
I have gone several times.

sithsaber408

It will make around 7 million by my guestimate Friday-Sunday this weekend. The Pirates juggernaut continues to chug, four new movies and two from last weekend will see Superman Returns fall to 8th place. To 9th place if The Devil Wears Prada holds better this weekend.

God, it's scary how you do that. big grin

It was indeed in 8th place, with like 7.4 mil or something.

However, I'm happy to report that it came in above Devil Wear Prada.

It may stay in the top ten for awhile though, as movies like Lady in the Water, and My Super Ex-girlfriend are getting bad reviews and opening in 3 rd or 4th place.

Many people are still going to see Supes again this weekend, at least thats what they are posting. wink

As of today:

Domestic: $178,342,711 61.9%
+ Foreign: $110,000,000 38.1%

= Worldwide: $288,342,711

.Dance_Inside.
Originally posted by systemshock2
Don't worry buddy, I'll do my part and see it again this weekend, even though I've seen it six times now. smile And I'll keep letting my friends and family members who haven't seen it yet know how good it is. Just like you I want it to reach that $200 million mark.

6 times! sweet now I don't feel as guilty for seeing it only 4 times lol
I'm seeing it again tho, probably 3 more lol I mean I watched LOTR:ROTK 7 times in theatre, and that was almost 4 hours long.

xmarksthespot
God, it's scary how you do that. big grin

It was indeed in 8th place, with like 7.4 mil or something.

However, I'm happy to report that it came in above Devil Wear Prada.

It may stay in the top ten for awhile though, as movies like Lady in the Water, and My Super Ex-girlfriend are getting bad reviews and opening in 3 rd or 4th place.

Many people are still going to see Supes again this weekend, at least thats what they are posting. wink

As of today:

Domestic: $178,342,711 61.9%
+ Foreign: $110,000,000 38.1%

= Worldwide: $288,342,711 I really don't see how beating Prada by less than $14,000 in weekend box office is anything to boast about... Prada's already made an approximate 50% profit, while Superman Returns is still struggling to struggle to make back it's negative cost.

With three new films it's almost assured to fall out of the top 10, and it will probably fall behind Prada next weekend too.

I think when all is said and done Supes will make roughly $325 million worldwide...next weekend it'll make another 5 million domestically..and probabaly in the following weeks add on 5 more every 7 days.

xmarksthespot
Not this Sunday, but by next Sunday, I predict it will probably fall behind Batman Begins box office for the same time period.

sithsaber408
As of Tue:

Domestic: $180,245,955 62.1%
+ Foreign: $110,000,000 37.9%

= Worldwide: $290,245,955

Plus it has set a record by reaching 20.1mil in IMAX, the fastest IMAX film to do so.

xmarksthespot
Guestimated Domestic Cume on/by Sunday 30th July: $186.6 million.

sithsaber408
As of Wed:

Domestic: $181,118,165 62.2%
+ Foreign: $110,000,000 37.8%

= Worldwide: $291,118,165

X, you think it'll get only 5 between Thur.-Sun.?

xmarksthespot
My guestimate is 5.5. 900k Thursday. 4.6 million weekend. It will come 11th +/- 1 place. Prada is now making more per day.

xmarksthespot
I'm downgrading my guestimate. Superman Returns weekdays have been weaker than expected. It will make 4 million this Fri-Sun maximum, but probably fall short of that by a few hundred thousand. It will come 12th +/- 1 place. Est. domestic total by Sunday 30th July = $185.5 mil.

pr1983
On thursday i contributed my second donation to the sr fund...

man, the more i watched it, the more it seemed to turn into some awful romcom...

though the scene with the plane and the theme song made the hairs on my neck stand up yet again... least they did something right... the theme coulda been louder though...

and no matter what happens, i hope it makes enough to warrant another movie... i'd rather enjoy parts of a movie than have nothing to enjoy whatsoever...

TheKingofKINGS!
Meh, the PREVIEWS didn't even look good.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by pr1983
On thursday i contributed my second donation to the sr fund...

man, the more i watched it, the more it seemed to turn into some awful romcom...

though the scene with the plane and the theme song made the hairs on my neck stand up yet again... least they did something right... the theme coulda been louder though...

and no matter what happens, i hope it makes enough to warrant another movie... i'd rather enjoy parts of a movie than have nothing to enjoy whatsoever... I don't fully believe the 200 mil or bust for the franchise rumour they've invested a lot of money into bringing it back. But it's highly possible that it will be 200 mil or bust for Singer in the eyes of WB. I'm pretty sure the execs are regretting having to pay him all that money and let him remake Logan's Run to ditch X3

pr1983
I don't fully believe the 200 mil or bust for the franchise rumour they've invested a lot of money into bringing it back. But it's highly possible that it will be 200 mil or bust for Singer in the eyes of WB. I'm pretty sure the execs are regretting having to pay him all that money and let him remake Logan's Run to ditch X3

Bit of a gamble i'd say... just a lil gamble... stick out tongue

xmarksthespot
If you gave a guy 204 million dollars + the results of 50 million in preproduction + a marketing budget of probably around 50 million. Then watched the teasers and trailers and film, and had to seriously ponder about where all the money went... would you hire him again though?

pr1983
If you gave a guy 204 million dollars + the results of 50 million in preproduction + a marketing budget of probably around 50 million. Then watched the teasers and trailers and film, and had to seriously ponder about where all the money went... would you hire him again though?

f*ck no... i'd give the effects guys medals though... and hire them again, and again, and again...

systemshock2
Seven times now! clap There were still some people at the 07:00 p.m. showing yesterday, which is good. C'mon people, we're so close to the $200 million mark now. =)

xmarksthespot
Guestimated Domestic BO on Sunday 6th August = $190 million

pr1983
Let hope the dvd shifts like a very fast shifting thing...

MattDay
yeah they will i say leave it alone now, and dont worry about it, just focus on getting the sequel under go, doomsday? maybe, return of zod, possibilty? darksied, unknown? braniac, big maybe! see where im going with this

sithsaber408
As of Tue. Aug.1st:

Domestic: $186,921,324 58.7%
+ Foreign: $131,600,000 41.3%

= Worldwide: $318,521,324

sithsaber408
Domestic: $187,475,542 58.8%
+ Foreign: $131,600,000 41.2%

= Worldwide: $319,075,542

Earned another million.

Happy Dance

xmarksthespot
Earned another million.Over the course of two days... erm

sithsaber408
Over the course of two days... erm

No, over the course of one day.

On 8/2 I posted the totals as of 8/1, and on 8/3( the time you posted in response to) I was posting the totals as of 8/2.

Here's the totals as of 8/3 (Thur.):

Domestic: $188,018,343 58.8%
+ Foreign: $131,600,000 41.2%

= Worldwide: $319,618,343

I think it'll hit 195 by this weekend, and 200 by next week or the one after.

systemshock2
It just hit the IMAX theaters over here in Texas so that's bound to at least add another few million by next week too. Little by little it looks like it'll reach that $200 million mark here. Yay. Plus the worldwide returns, at least percentage-wise, were higher than I expected.

And I saw it again, so that's eight times now. Woo-hoo. Although it was a little harder now as I had to travel further up north in Austin, since most theaters are no longer showing it. Next week I plan on seeing it for the first time in IMAX.

xmarksthespot
No, over the course of one day.Mon:$558,152
Tue:$568,489
Wed:$554,218
Thur:$542,801

They must have changed the classification of one day, or one million.
I think it'll hit 195 by this weekend, and 200 by next week or the one after. You think it will make what it made last weekend + this Mon-Thu over one weekend. What the f**k? ~$190 million tops.

sithsaber408

What the f**k? ~$190 million tops.

Man I hate the way that you do that. big grin

Domestic: $190,176,570 56.5%
+ Foreign: $146,500,000 43.5%

= Worldwide: $336,676,570

Although with 336 world wide, the film has at least made most of its money back, and will hopefully turn a profit from dvd sales.

roughrider
$190 million yesterday. It will likely stop right at $200 million; no more.

This is what we've come to with North American boxoffice. A film that makes $200 million, considered to be underperforming.

xmarksthespot
erm Only if it costs more than $200 million in production, another ~$50 million in bungled pre-production, and another ~$50 in advertising and prints in the U.S. alone.

The Devil Wears Prada has made $113 million, it's a veritable financial success. It's all relative.

MattDay
200 mil is the films total costs, the 60 mil is pre production fowl ups with failed projects... simple as that, people trying to justify false monies really do confuse things, the 200 mil originally stated for the movie includes everything, adverts, and the like, when people say it didn't seem to be 200 mil or 150 mil, they are right as it's the total sum of the advertising and endorsements... stop adding false pretences into it, it's the total summing of the film... and I'm not going to insult some of the guys adding false additions by defining the word total.

xmarksthespot
$204 million excludes marketing and prints. no expression

MattDay
no it doesn't and i know you don't work in film, it's obvious

xmarksthespot
I never said I did. messed

I highly doubt their marketing budget was confined to $50 million and I highly doubt the production budget was confined to $150 million. But whatever floats your boat.

MattDay
lol yea i s'pose, x do you reckon a sequel is a possibility considering they have emassed 330 mill worldwide?

xmarksthespot
I think a sequel is a possibility because you don't sink a crapload of money into restarting a franchise and not continue the franchise. Unless it somehow fails to turn a profit on DVD eventually, which is possible but not probable. I'd imagine Singer is either gone or his budget, whatever it was this film, will be cut by at least $50 million.

MattDay
not a bad thing other than, they must have more action like singer has said in an interview over a possible sequel, and he wants to do it, which isn't a bad thing as he has always delivered in sequels so far... would being cut by 50 mill make the sequel pale in quality? like action scenes do cost a lot of money, that plane crash scene cost a boat load, 20 mil was a speculation of how much that scene cost in total, which is amazing, but not good for a more action packed sequel... the two don't go together if you know what I meen?

xmarksthespot
Singer isn't really that good with action scenes. They often end up seeming like things thrown in because he has to not because he really wants to. erm

MattDay
fair enough, i think he did fine with most things action wise in the superman film, he seems to have problems understanding the differences between unnecessary scenes and minor progressive scenes, but all in all it's better than pirates so I'm happy lol

MattDay
this is how close the success of superman is to batman begins...

41 days after release for both films tally up: -

Superman Returns = $657,821 on that day, Total* = $190,176,570

Batman Begins = $588,427 on that day, Total* = $191,693,621

*Total at 41 days

See how close they are in their success at the box office!

sithsaber408
Domestic: $190,524,000 56.5%
+ Foreign: $146,500,000 43.5%

= Worldwide: $337,024,000

'Nother half a mil yesterday.

xmarksthespot
More like $347,430.

I can't remember when I thought SR would fall behind BB, but 40 days sounds about right. BB was still 9th at the box office at about now.

MattDay
Superman returns looks like it's around ten days behind batman begins in terms of that superman is bringing the same amount of money as batman did ten days from now, but superman could still just climb over the 200 Mil mark, you'd be naive not to think it couldn't, it could go either way

sithsaber408
As of Wed:

Domestic: $191,088,406 56.6%
+ Foreign: $146,500,000 43.4%

= Worldwide: $337,588,406

superman41082
Yessssss!!!!! People are dumb. I actually want to tour the country to educate people on Superman. People need Superman EDUCATION....

sithsaber408
As of yesterday, Aug 15th:

Domestic: $192,961,820 55.5%
+ Foreign: $155,000,000 44.5%

= Worldwide: $347,961,820

Hmm... with Snakes on a Muthaf*ckin' Plane opening this weekend, it seems doubtfull that Superman Returns will crack 200 mil before its domestic run is up.

I'll wager it ends at 195 mil here, and 355 mil worldwide.

badabing
I'm surprised that the movie didn't do better. $195 million is no joke but Batman begins did better.

sithsaber408
Make that 193 mil now, as of yesterday:

Domestic: $193,139,220 55.5%
+ Foreign: $155,000,000 44.5%

= Worldwide: $348,139,220

xmarksthespot
It may make $200 million but the 8 ball said all signs point to no... the 8 ball being myself... weeks ago. Which means it failed to make back half-budget in domestic B.O.

Snakes on a Plane! eek! laughing out loud

sithsaber408
As of Mon

Domestic: $194,278,004 53.9%
+ Foreign: $166,000,000 46.1%

= Worldwide: $360,278,004

systemshock2
This sucks. This week in Austin TX it's only now showing in one theater, only one showtime a day. This tells me this should be the last week it's in Austin theaters before it's gone on Friday when some new movies come out.

I've already got it all planned out. I'm going to go to the last day on Thursday, to the last and only showing at 06:05 p.m., get me some buttered popcorn and Mr. Pibb, sit myself at the middle seat and enjoy Superman Returns for the last time it's in a theater. =(

I know the DVD will be out in November, but it's just not the same when seeing it on the big screen.

sithsaber408

I'll wager it ends at 195 mil here, and 355 mil worldwide.

Looks like I was right.

As of yesterday:

Domestic: $195,559,823 53.1%
+ Foreign: $173,000,000 46.9%

= Worldwide: $368,559,823

I'm sure that it's done here, but hopefully it will pull another 6.5 mil overseas to close with a respectable 375mil.

xmarksthespot
Looks like I was right.Looks like who was right?
I'm sure that it's done here, but hopefully it will pull another 6.5 mil overseas to close with a respectable 375mil. Depends on who is defining respectable.

pr1983
Most of our cinemas over here (and there are a few), have all dropped it from their schedules...

And given a budget of what, 200 million, 375 is in no way a good return imo... it should have been pushing 500 million by now...

MattDay
not good but steady... why always so negative pr?

pr1983
Originally posted by MattDay
not good but steady... why always so negative pr?

Frankly? Bryan Singer could have made one of the highest grossing movies of all time, and he could have shown Marvel a thing or two about making comic book movies...

After so many years, to be honest i'm a little disappointed that this is the best Warner Bros and Singer can come up with... erm

MattDay
i didn't think it was the "best" they could come up with... in the interviews with singer, that will be on the dvd, he states he has been having a hard time trying to figure a good story to reintroduce the character, but also show signs of a future in the franchise... well singer is always better at getting action up there through good plots... the sequel will most likely reflect this notion that singer can do this "xmen 2" anyone?

I'm remaining positive as I thought it was better than X-3, pirates (only a little, the story line sucked, same as the first when you strip it of the flashing lights and action sequences) and.. well every other film this summer. box office doesn't always reflect quality of film, the advertisement campaign sucked from warner brothers!

pr1983
Singer had a hard time choosing a story? Sweet christ... there are 60 years of comics to choose a story from... messed

I didn't like x2... buts thats just me...

you're right, box office doesnt, it probably earned more than it should have imo...

and how much of an advertising campaign do you need? 'a new superman movie is coming out' would usually suffice... stick out tongue

MattDay
lol yeah i thought that would of done it too, but did the adverts on tv start playing after it came out in the cinema? it did in the UK, which sucked, plus pirates had adverts all over the place, so most people saw that because of the adverts.. that's what i ment by a sucky campaign to get the viewers in

pr1983
thats true to a certain extent...

but to me, and i genuinely think this, i don't like saying it, nor am i saying it just to be one of those people who wants to sound cool by dissing a movie...

i honestly feel that if the movie had been better (than i thought it was), then it would have easily hit the 500 million mark... i mean, 200 million will buy you all the doomsday/brainiac/luthor powersuit effects shots you could ever need... plus there were some script/casting issues that alot of people disagreed with... i mean look here on kmc, we're split right down the middle on whether the movie as great or less than great... superman returns should have (imo) been a movie that we could all, as superman and comic book fans, watch again and again...

the sets seemed like a useless expenditure... why not use the smallville sets? even lois and clark was able to get decent sets on a somewhat less than stellar budget...

i just think in alot of ways, the 200 million was misused greatly...

which in its own way contributed to the less than stellar takings at the box office...

at least imo...

i think its the fault of the film-makers as much as the enormously overspending budget wise (i mean, 200 million? it doesnt show imo)

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>