Do you find the world Hedonistic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Do you believe people are more hedonistic then they would ever admit??

xmarksthespot
Mmmm Hedonism... droolio

debbiejo
laughing out loud

Wonderer
Yes, I think people would like to think they aren't so materialistic and pleasure seeking, but they are - including myself...well, I'm trying my best...

grey fox
Yes , their no more 'enough' in the world. Everyone wants as much as they can . Ergo pleasure is on the up-rise.

cking
more than any other generation before.

The Omega
Originally posted by grey fox
Yes , their no more 'enough' in the world. Everyone wants as much as they can . Ergo pleasure is on the up-rise.

And you base those claims on... ?

Originally posted by cking
more than any other generation before.

And you base this claim on... ?

zephiel7
I find that morality has been pretty much constant throughout the ages.

In the Victorian times, affairs were just as constant, except they were done in private. This reflected the social implications of fornification , which have gradually diminished over time. Pleasuring oneself (sexually) has always been noticeable

I cannot say whether hedonistic behavior (pleasure yourself up) has changed, and I admit that many a times I have indulged in what I perceive to be sinful thoughts. (I myself strive for a more ascetic lifestyle, happiness via spiritual fulfillment, not physical).

The truth is, in any age there is a fair share of hedonists, comparetively less number of ascetics, and a fair share of people in between. During the time of Galileo, even the pope was rumoured to have illegitimate children! I would consider myself someone in between striving to become an ascetic (I am Orthodox Christian).

Regret
Hedonism is practiced by everyone, including Christians etc.

The issue is when they gain that pleasure or that pain, and what things give pleasure or pain.

A Christian is seeking heaven/pleasure and avoiding hell/pain. He does good, which is his form of pleasure in that it brings him closer to heaven. He avoids sin, which is his form of pain in that it leads him to hell. Even if describing it in the immediate the thought of the movement closer or further from heaven causes psychological "pain." All religions are similar in some way, not necessarily heaven and hell, but gaining good or avoiding bad in some way.

And everyone else is stupid if they think they are not hedonistic, it all depends on the individual what form their pleasure and pain takes.

xmarksthespot
Yes, I find the world hedonistic... and it pleases me so.

Capt_Fantastic
I think the best course of action is to define the term "hedonistic".

It's such an ambigious term. Thinking black people should have the same rights as a white person might be considered "hedonistic" to some, or gay relationships, or abortion or any number of things.

Of course, once someone defines, absolutely, the term...them morals can be legislated. Which is impro'bible'.

zephiel7
Originally posted by Regret
Hedonism is practiced by everyone, including Christians etc.

The issue is when they gain that pleasure or that pain, and what things give pleasure or pain.

A Christian is seeking heaven/pleasure and avoiding hell/pain. He does good, which is his form of pleasure in that it brings him closer to heaven. He avoids sin, which is his form of pain in that it leads him to hell. Even if describing it in the immediate the thought of the movement closer or further from heaven causes psychological "pain." All religions are similar in some way, not necessarily heaven and hell, but gaining good or avoiding bad in some way.

And everyone else is stupid if they think they are not hedonistic, it all depends on the individual what form their pleasure and pain takes.

Sometimes what a Christian does, does not necessarily bring them any satisfaction or enjoyment. What a christian believes to be right may not always bring their body the satisfaction that it craves. Nor the mind the peace that it longs for.

For example, engaging in sexual activity may bring them physical pleasure, and perhaps give them some psychological edge, however their beliefs prevent them from indulging in such activities. As such the christian is sacrificing pleasure for enlightenment.

Bardock42
Originally posted by zephiel7
Sometimes what a Christian does, does not necessarily bring them any satisfaction or enjoyment. What a christian believes to be right may not always bring their body the satisfaction that it craves. Nor the mind the peace that it longs for.

For example, engaging in sexual activity may bring them physical pleasure, and perhaps give them some psychological edge, however their beliefs prevent them from indulging in such activities. As such the christian is sacrificing pleasure for enlightenment.

Bullshit, as such the christian is sacrificing pleasure in the now for some sort of eternal pleasure fantasy.

WrathfulDwarf
What's hedonistic?

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
What's hedonistic?

Pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hedonism

WrathfulDwarf
*sigh*

I was trying to tease deb and hopefuly trying to get her to laugh.

thanks for the explanation and link bardock.

Bardock42
*sigh*

I was trying to tease deb and hopefuly trying to get her to laugh.

thanks for the explanation and link bardock.

You are welcome.

debbiejo
What's hedonistic? You know.........It's that thing you men do when you're sure you're alone...........lol laughing out loud stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf
big grin

Pandemoniac
Even the most honorable motivations are hedonistic. In the end everything we do is because we want to feel better ourselves. The only difference is in how we try to accomplish this. A fireman or cop saves lives, but does so to feel good about him/herself eventually.

debbiejo
So does anyone feel hedonism is a bad thing??

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by debbiejo
Do you believe people are more hedonistic then they would ever admit??

No, I don't believe that, and let me tell your ears why..."Libraries give us power, then work came and set us free." So, do you see what I'm going on about here? Let me break it down...If we only ever did what made us feel good, why the f*ck do we go to the dentist and wipe our asses after we poop? I'm starting a revolution in my teeth right now. Who's with my armpits?

debbiejo
Do you all think this is a good thing or not??

Soleran
Originally posted by debbiejo
Do you all think this is a good thing or not??

The answer is maybe!

F you Debbiejo, is that hedonistic?

stick out tongue

finti
the biggest bigot patronizing lot of them all are religious blokes

debbiejo
I feel that a person needs to be who they are...........not what a religion says they are.........and in finding yourselve you wil find some freedom to who you are............and yet to me........treat others as you would like to be treated which would still be in this same thought

hitokiri jin
hmm just be yourself I say...It might really look idiotic that you do the sign of the cross everytime something hedonistic happens around here which do happen always...yeah I feel that we are living in "evil times" but not as evil in the days of WWII et al...we can be hedonistic just add "with moderation" in the mix....

debbiejo
Originally posted by Soleran
The answer is maybe!

F you Debbiejo, is that hedonistic?

stick out tongue sad

lol

hitokiri jin
hmm Thats quite grand...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.