How dumb is Obi-Wan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jam-Jul_Lison
I am a fan of Obi-Wan but I can see that he is not to smart.

1. Dooku told Obi-Wan that the Senate was being controlled by a sith lord. Obi-Wan automaticly dismisses this as a lie. I can understand why though.

2. Walks into the room where they fight Dooku and see's Palpatine chained to a large chair that resembles a throne. You would think he would find that kind of odd. Especialy considering what Dooku told him in AOTC.

Rampant ox
Hahahaha. Obi-Wan is my third fav character in SW but he doesnt have a very high IQ. What about "I dont seem to remeber owning any droids". R2 was like his right hand droid in the CW but now he cant remeber him!!!

But then again if everyone listened to the Count we would have a perfect galaxy with no war,violence or criminals. Thats not how GL wanted SW so that is why he had the Count killed off.

Blue_Hefner
Obi Wan never did own a droid because jedi dont have property and R2 was Padme's droid so what he said was true---from a certain point of view.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Obi Wan never did own a droid because jedi dont have property and R2 was Padme's droid so what he said was true---from a certain point of view.

True. But you get my point.

Lord Saboteur
Originally posted by Jam-Jul_Lison
I am a fan of Obi-Wan but I can see that he is not to smart.

1. Dooku told Obi-Wan that the Senate was being controlled by a sith lord. Obi-Wan automaticly dismisses this as a lie. I can understand why though.

2. Walks into the room where they fight Dooku and see's Palpatine chained to a large chair that resembles a throne. You would think he would find that kind of odd. Especialy considering what Dooku told him in AOTC. 1. No need to debate this, common understanding.
2. I can see why he would dismiss it, look at it like this: It's Grievous' flagship, and that was the General's Quarters IIRC, so it would make sense considering the droid leader's ego(from what I saw) he'd want something as grand as such. But that's IMO.

Originally posted by Rampant ox
Hahahaha. Obi-Wan is my third fav character in SW but he doesnt have a very high IQ. What about "I dont seem to remeber owning any droids". R2 was like his right hand droid in the CW but now he cant remeber him!!!

But then again if everyone listened to the Count we would have a perfect galaxy with no war,violence or criminals. Thats not how GL wanted SW so that is why he had the Count killed off. Already answered but I'll say it for reference: Jedi don't have attachments or possessions, it was Padme's droid, then it served at Anakin's side. And as for Obi Wan not 'remembering' R2, I think it might've been a bit of an act so Luke didn't know any better.

Ganner Rhysode
I agree. With the way he says it and all. "Come here, little friend." He talks to R2 with a degree of familiarity. And, the way he says "Hm. I don't seem to remember owning any droids." He almost chuckles to himself. He used that "certain point of view" logic all the time. Odds are, he was just being cryptic as usual.

Tangible God
1.) Yes, common misunderstanding, why the hell should he believe Dooku?

2.) Supreme Chancellor of the Republic WOULD be tied to a throne, especially with ego's like Grievous and Dooku onboard.

3.) Obi-Wan didn't want to reveal he knew of R2 because that would kinda blow the cover of Luke's daddy being Vader, wouldn't it? Also, ANH was made 19 freakin' years before ROTS. I mean, Jesus, give the continuity of the films a little flexibility, for once! Christ.

The real question should be: "Why was Obi-Wan so stupid in not changing Luke's last name?"

Captain REX
To answer that question...

Vader thought that Padme was dead, as well as his offspring. Pained by his past life as Anakin Skywalker, he would try to avoid Tatooine as much as possible. Putting Luke Skywalker with family was actually not a bad idea. Anakin would definitely avoid them. At least, in person.

overlord
Lucas made the story of ANH up before deciding that R2D2 and C3PO should be heroes aswell in the prequels. (and then to think that the prequels were supposed to be darker movies, pfahaha!!!)

But yeah, Obi Wan never struck me as an intelligent dude.

JaehSkywalker
agrees with all those who posted except for the first one..*

Jam-Jul_Lison
I am glad to see some people are posting here. I do not want this thread to get out of hand or become a vs thread or whatever. I just wanted to point out a few things and just chat. Yes I agree that perhaps Obi-Wan merely thought Dooku put in there because of his large ego. Though I am surprised he did not wonder why Palpatine would be held there instead of a secure cell or how they were able to capture Palpatine at all. If I recall Obi-Wan and Anakin were called back from the outer rim seiges to rescue Palpatine so I am not sure how much info he had on his capture. It is possible he was just thinking rescue now and ask questions later.

We know that the council was suspicious of Palpatine even at that time but could not act because they had no proof. I am not sure if Obi-Wan knew of this considering he was a junior member of the council.

More proof of Obi-Wan not being to smart in in ANH. Him whiping out his lightsaber and using it to protect Luke in the Mos Eisely Cantina. He might have just been thinking they were getting ready to leave so he said hell with it and used it. How lucky of him that he had run into Chewbacca there. lol.

Obi-Wan knew that would be dangerous to go to Alderaan with the imperials likly to be around and yet he immediatly decided to bring Luke. Remember this is before they realize Luke's aunt and uncle were killed. The look on his face at that time was like he was realy exited and happy to be able to train Luke. Maybe he thought it could be like the old days when him and Anakin went on missions together. lol. I think he realized his mistake when they were in the Falcon when Han was chasing that TIE in the debree field of Alderaan

Ushgarak
Moved.

And what a weird idea! Obi-Wan always looked like the smart one to me, and indeed that is his purpose in the OT.

Legion_of_Maul
he had binders binding him to the chair, that would convince me, not to mention the greatest sith lord at that time who could hide from an entire Galaxy would just be tricking anakin and obiwan anyway. plus they were too worried about rescueing the emporer to be doubting him.

Tangible God
The Chancellor is apparently a weak old man, laser bindings should damn well be enough. And that CW cartoon describes Palpatine's capture. It resulted in 4 dead Jedi, a wheezing Grievous, and a frantic Mace who became Superman for a moment.

Darth Kreiger
He was made stupid in the PT as were all characters (I would never see the PT Anakin becoming Vader), listen to him in the OT, he's super-genius/wise

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
He was made stupid in the PT as were all characters (I would never see the PT Anakin becoming Vader), listen to him in the OT, he's super-genius/wise In the nineteen years between ROTS and ANH, a Gungan scientist of the Imperial Food Department discovered that Mon Calamari are brain food. Naturally, Vader took a keen interest.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Tangible God
In the nineteen years between ROTS and ANH, a Gungan scientist of the Imperial Food Department discovered that Mon Calamari are brain food. Naturally, Vader took a keen interest.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing
You should work for Lucas, that sounds like something he would do

overlord
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Moved.

And what a weird idea! Obi-Wan always looked like the smart one to me, and indeed that is his purpose in the OT. Haha! His padawan went to the dark side. Obi Wan gets pushed around by Dooku all the time. Obi Wan is also very ugly!
big grin

JaehSkywalker
^

not ugly at 1 and he's ok at 2 and 3...

padawan to dark side, not his fault if that was what was 'destined' to happen..

overlord
It was destiny that Obi Wan was going to be ugly and dumb! jump
He only developt a mind by letting his old student kill him!

JaehSkywalker
> your point of view not mine...
> his choice not yours...

overlord
> My point of view
> His choice, not mine!

woah.. that was pretty pointless, I feel like Medvock now. fear

JaehSkywalker
> yep.. it was....

overlord
> all pointlessly stating the obvious.

JaehSkywalker
> can we please stop this?

overlord
> Let's continue!

JaehSkywalker
> what's the point...

> ok.. give a topic on Obi-Wan to talk about..

overlord
> the topic is the stupidity of Obi

> second topic is the uglyness of Obi in the PT

JaehSkywalker
> obi ain't stupid... he just doesn't know enough facts...

> NOT UGLY ESPECIALLY IN 1 !!!!!

overlord
Meh, he looks like a geriatric playing a teenager in TPM. Pretty scary.

JaehSkywalker
> your own point of view.. TOTALLY not mine...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.