Astonishing X-Men

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Okay, people. I realize that there is an entire X-men forum, but I really wanted to discuss this series with YOU guys, not the crew that hangs around the X-Men forum. So there you have it.

Anyways; in my personal opinion, this is one of the only X-series worth reading right now. I also think it's really good.

Does anyone else read this?

Thoughts?

cool

xmarksthespot
A lot of people read this... and from the "calibre" of some of the threads and posts in the X-Men forum I can see why you'd rather discuss it here. shifty

Ganner Rhysode
I don't know if they've started on the next set of issues yet or not, but I've read everything else. I really, really enjoy this series. It isn't super outlandish or anything, and still definitely has the X-Men feel to it, but it does a lot of new stuff and doesn't reuse a lot of old plot or story devices. I really don't like the feel of a lot of other X-Men comics, which is part of the reason I really like this one - it isn't those other ones.

But yeah, I agree...

jumpmann
Too bad Whedon can't write in continuity.

batdude123
It's a good read, but he makes Wolverine a goof. He has seriously admitted to only writing Wolverine as comic relief. Wolverine needs to have more respect from Whedon, but other than that it's okay.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by batdude123
It's a good read, but he makes Wolverine a goof. He has seriously admitted to only writing Wolverine as comic relief. Wolverine needs to have more respect from Whedon, but other than that it's okay. I'd imagine Wolverine is only there because he has to be on every team by decree of Marvel. He can only be treated as comic relief because he really has no real role there that I can think of.

ST0RM SHAD0W
I read it, its great.

The best X book out right now till this tuesday.

H. S. 6
It's a good read, but he makes Wolverine a goof. He has seriously admitted to only writing Wolverine as comic relief. Wolverine needs to have more respect from Whedon, but other than that it's okay.

I like the Wolverine in Astonishing. Especially when he has his argument with Beast. That was awesome writing.

By the way, Astonishing is the only X-book that is worth the money right now.

Validus
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Co-sign.

batdude123
I like the Wolverine in Astonishing. Especially when he has his argument with Beast. That was awesome writing.

Probably because he's only there for jokes, and he's written like a weakling dumbass. Other than that, it's fine.

Validus
I don't see how either of those are true. Do you think Wolverine should have dominated Ord and Danger or something?

H. S. 6
Probably because he's only there for jokes, and he's written like a weakling dumbass. Other than that, it's fine.

Probably what?

batdude123
Probably what?

He's only there for jokes, and the writer (Whedon) ADMITTED that he only writes Wolverine in there for the comic relief. Whedon doesn't really like Wolverine, he only put him in there because it's a fact that Wolverine sells comics.

batdude123
Originally posted by Validus
I don't see how either of those are true. Do you think Wolverine should have dominated Ord and Danger or something?

(While attacking the green monster)

Wolverine: "I really like beer."

no expression

Validus
(While attacking the green monster)

Wolverine: "I really like beer."

no expression
And? Did you have the same disdain for Kyle and Wally in the JLA?

Some people like a few jokes in their overly melodramatic comics. It's called entertainment. Who else can provide that on the Astonishing team? Cyclops?

batdude123
And? Did you have the same disdain for Kyle and Wally in the JLA?

Some people like a few jokes in their overly melodramatic comics. It's called entertainment. Who else can provide that on the Astonishing team? Cyclops?

My point is, in that comic Wolverine is a joke. Kyle and Wally joke with each other because that's their personality.

Validus
He makes snappy one liners and is thus a joke? He's similar to the way he was in the Grant Morrison run which, incidently, is where Astonishing takes its cues from.

batdude123
He makes snappy one liners and is thus a joke? He's similar to the way he was in the Grant Morrison run which, incidently, is where Astonishing takes its cues from.

Whedon has admitted that Wolverine's SOLE purpose in that comic is for comic relief. He's sucked out the entire integrity of Wolverine's character in that comic. Seriously, I'm done discussing this topic. It's a fact. The guy admitted to it.

Validus
Seriously, I'm done discussing this topic.
Well, thats because you're a quitter and we all know quitters....quit.

Skeets
laughing why you always got to pick on people......weep just like Ramon.

batdude123

No, I'm done because it's a fact, and you aren't understanding it. So I figure, what the hell's the point?

Validus
No, I'm done because it's a fact, and you aren't understanding it. So I figure, what the hell's the point?
Translation: I'm a quitter.

batdude123
Translation: I'm a quitter.

I've explained my point. It's over now Val. Let it go.

Validus
I've explained my point. It's over now Val. Let it go.
Quitter

Skeets
laughing

H. S. 6
Whedon has admitted that Wolverine's SOLE purpose in that comic is for comic relief. He's sucked out the entire integrity of Wolverine's character in that comic. Seriously, I'm done discussing this topic. It's a fact. The guy admitted to it.

He may have admitted it, but Wolverine is far from a joke in the series. He's just not his normal "uber g0d fanby's wet dr3am" form.

I suppose that upsets you.

Quitter

laughing

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by ST0RM SHAD0W
I read it, its great.

The best X book out right now till this tuesday.

The best X men book since Morisson's New X-men. Its a pity G.S. had to ruin it for everyone. smile

Validus
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
The best X men book since Morisson's New X-men. Its a pity G.S. had to ruin it for everyone. smile
laughing out loud

The Morrison run was probably my favorite era of X-Men outside of Chris Claremont's heyday (which is long past).

R.O.T. Yahman
laughing out loud

The Morrison run was probably my favorite era of X-Men outside of Chris Claremont's heyday (which is long past).

IMO Chris Claremont's heyday has had a dual role, on X-men comics. Its allowed X-men to be associated with some of the greatest stories ever illustrated, and is responsible for the utter crap that has been published since the late 80's.

Claremonts a legend, but he's really out stayed his welcome.

batdude123
He may have admitted it, but Wolverine is far from a joke in the series. He's just not his normal "uber g0d fanby's wet dr3am" form.

I suppose that upsets you.

No, I'm not a Wolverine fanboy. The integrity of Wolverine's character is shot to hell in that series. Whedon did to Wolverine what Adam West did to Batman. erm

batdude123
Quitter

stick out tongue

The Pict
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
A lot of people read this... and from the "calibre" of some of the threads and posts in the X-Men forum I can see why you'd rather discuss it here. shifty

hey i started of in the x-men forum, there is nowt wrong with it.

and astonishing x-men is really cool, features 4 of my favourite x-men, plus Ord is a cool villian.

Darth Vicious
No, I'm not a Wolverine fanboy. The integrity of Wolverine's character is shot to hell in that series. Whedon did to Wolverine what Adam West did to Batman. erm

I couldnt agree more. While I really like the series he did make Wolverine a joke. CAse in point the latest issues in which as a result of Cassandra Nova he acts like a scared puppy. No respect for the character but I like what he is doing with Emma Frost and the new Hellfire club. Very entertaining series.

xmarksthespot
Because Wolverine really has no place there. Everyone else has been relatively integral to the plot. He's only there because he has to be everywhere. There's no need for Whedon to devote a ton of time into giving dialogue to or developing Wolverine, when he's already in his own solo series, the other X-titles, and New Avengers.

Besides that's totally in character for Cassandra Nova.
Quitter laughing out loud

H. S. 6

I'm not saying you're a fanboy (I know you aren't), just that because Wolverine is back to his slightly-above street leveller status, you're a wee bit sad. stick out tongue

batdude123
I'm not saying you're a fanboy (I know you aren't), just that because Wolverine is back to his slightly-above street leveller status, you're a wee bit sad. stick out tongue

Just the overall integrity of his CHARACTER that was established many years ago is gone. erm I would actually prefer Wolverine to stay out of the Astonishing books all together, then for him to get written this way. wink

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Because Wolverine really has no place there. Everyone else has been relatively integral to the plot. He's only there because he has to be everywhere. There's no need for Whedon to devote a ton of time into giving dialogue to or developing Wolverine, when he's already in his own solo series, the other X-titles, and New Avengers.

Besides that's totally in character for Cassandra Nova.
laughing out loud

Whedon made reference to the fact that he would enjoy creating an X book without Wolverine, and that it frustrates him that the characters seems to be in virtually very marvel mainstream comic. To be fare, i reckon the Morison esque role he has at the moment is perfect for him. I haven't read the most recent issue, but the feat should be attributed to Cassandra Nova's power (IMO the Onslaught Saga would have been a lot better, if she had been the nemesis, instead of Onslaught) rather a 'diss' at wolverine. We know he's going to save the day in the end, anyway. smile I just hope Emma is kept as a good guy at the end of the series. She been one of the best female characters to come out of marvel since the 20th century. She's like a female version of Elijah Snow, from Planetary.

DarkCrawler
No, I'm not a Wolverine fanboy. The integrity of Wolverine's character is shot to hell in that series. Whedon did to Wolverine what Adam West did to Batman. erm Wolverine has some really badass things in that series too...

H. S. 6
Just the overall integrity of his CHARACTER that was established many years ago is gone. erm I would actually prefer Wolverine to stay out of the Astonishing books all together, then for him to get written this way. wink

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, then. I think the Wolverine character in this is one of the best he has in comics out now. wink

capt it up
agreed. He writes wolverine like an idiot

willRules
I like astonishing at the moment. I agree that wolverine is slightly underrated, but I am not complaining because they show Beast as a more central character to the storyline and he has had some impressive showings already yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.