Why does everyone make such a huge deal out of "Han shot first" ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ganner Rhysode
Honestly, Jesus Christ, people, it's NOT that big of a deal. It's a half second change, and even so, Han isn't even phased - he simply calmly nods out of the way, he's STIL a badass. The single half second doesn't make Han out to be some sort of wuss, it doesn't make him not a badass, it doesn't make him a pansy or anything. I don't understand the outcry - it just seems to me that it's just one more thing all of the elistist "ONLY THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY IS GOOD EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS" asses have to complain about.

I read things like this:

and wonder where the Hell you people are coming from. Again, it's a half second change, it's nothing major at all, the plot of the movie is NOT significantly changed, or changed at all, period. The fact that the person who said that honestly believes that such a change is a drastic and huge effect on Star Wars and that changing half of a second from the movie is akin to drastically altering the plot or adding in brand new scenes is sick. It's like some of you people can't think, and most of you just make a huge deal out of something that, well, couldn't effect you any less.

In short, you guys are making a huge deal out of nothing, and should quit whining. It's not going to get changed back anyway.

Tangible God
Don't look at me, I liked the change.

Darth Kreiger
Before I read it was changed, I never knew it was, I just knew they both shot and Greedo ends up dead

overlord
Originally posted by Ganner Rhysode
Honestly, Jesus Christ, people, it's NOT that big of a deal. It's a half second change, and even so, Han isn't even phased - he simply calmly nods out of the way, he's STIL a badass. The single half second doesn't make Han out to be some sort of wuss, it doesn't make him not a badass, it doesn't make him a pansy or anything. I don't understand the outcry - it just seems to me that it's just one more thing all of the elistist "ONLY THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY IS GOOD EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS" asses have to complain about.

I read things like this:

and wonder where the Hell you people are coming from. Again, it's a half second change, it's nothing major at all, the plot of the movie is NOT significantly changed, or changed at all, period. The fact that the person who said that honestly believes that such a change is a drastic and huge effect on Star Wars and that changing half of a second from the movie is akin to drastically altering the plot or adding in brand new scenes is sick. It's like some of you people can't think, and most of you just make a huge deal out of something that, well, couldn't effect you any less.

In short, you guys are making a huge deal out of nothing, and should quit whining. It's not going to get changed back anyway. Uhmm.. That's my post and I in no way represent the SW community, I am merely a very bored individual who hates everything and everyone.

KingDubya
The first time I saw the OT was the first time it was re-released as the Special Edition. I'm pretty sure that the "Greedo firing first" thing was in that version, so don't blame me for complaining about the change 'cause I didn't even know it was one.

amity75
It changes Han from being a "Don't f*ck with me" character into a "Yay, I'm a good guy who does no harm to innocents" character. I know which one I prefer.

Jam-Jul_Lison
Originally posted by amity75
It changes Han from being a "Don't f*ck with me" character into a "Yay, I'm a good guy who does no harm to innocents" character. I know which one I prefer.

Ha ha ha. I agree with you fully. In the orginals it made Han look like a guy that you would not want to mess with. Mess with him and you get killed. It makes since considering he is a smuggler and in the smuggler world it is shoot or be shot.

Also I honestly can not believe that Greedo is that bad of a shot. He is a bounty hunter after all. Heck I can not believe anyone is that bad of a shot. Not to mention the scene look real fake. It looks like someone just drew it onto the frame for a quick second. All of the orginal special effects look more real then that one shot.

Jedi Priestess

First of all some of us happen to like the entire saga and dont like that change.

And it IS a big deal. Like Amity said, it takes Hans bad ass character and waters it down, ALOT. messed

I myself wish Lucas had never released even the SE's but hey thats just me.

Secondly, you shouldnt be lumping all the OT fans into one big snotty, elitist pile since that makes you no better than they. no

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
First of all some of us happen to like the entire saga and dont like that change.

And it IS a big deal. Like Amity said, it takes Hans bad ass character and waters it down, ALOT. messed

I myself wish Lucas had never released even the SE's but hey thats just me.

Secondly, you shouldnt be lumping all the OT fans into one big snotty, elitist pile since that makes you no better than they. no

well, still............

Come January 30th 2007 people have been whining about this for 10 years.

Its gotten kinda redundant.

Red Superfly
The ONLY thing it does is show how more retarded Han is than before.

How does it prove he is more "caring?" They pretty much fired at the same time. As if Han saw the shot, dodged it, and had time to pull the trigger in a reaction shot? It's absurd.

The original cut was better. Han knew Greedo was going to kill him. Greedo even said he intended to kill him. How is Han frying Greedo after he states his morbid plans therefore heartless? I'd call that common sense.

The new cut makes Han look like a nervous, hesitant, spineless, slow, lucky, fool.

Darth Kreiger
It doesn't matter, at all, 2 seconds of Film, considering they shot at the same time pretty much.

Alliance
It also doesnt make sense that greedo would spend all that time aiming and then wildly miss

Ganner Rhysode
If less then two seconds of film are enough to determine if a character is "nervous, hesitant, spineless, slow, lucky, and fool," or if he's a daring "don't mess with me" guy who will kill anyone who gets in his way, then his character was poorly developed and written in the first place.

Not saying Han's character was poorly made, but if that little bit changes his character that drastically in your guys' eyes... ... Jesus.

overlord
I think Han should've been vaporised!

Blaxican Hydra
I agree that people tend to over exxagerate it.

I still think of Han as an uber badass, regardless of who shot first. It really doesn't matter. Old people..GOSH!

Anthony$Billy
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra
I agree that people tend to over exxagerate it.

I still think of Han as an uber badass

isay the fetts are UBERWTFPW3AGE badass Happy Dance

Jedi Priestess
And I say the Fetts are WAY beyond over-rated. messed

Blaxican Hydra
Word.

Alliance
If less then two seconds of film are enough to determine if a character is "nervous, hesitant, spineless, slow, lucky, and fool," or if he's a daring "don't mess with me" guy who will kill anyone who gets in his way, then his character was poorly developed and written in the first place.

Not saying Han's character was poorly made, but if that little bit changes his character that drastically in your guys' eyes... ... Jesus.

Its the first time we really see Han in character...it plays a major role. If you're Han's type, dealing with his scenarios....you don't wait to be shot before you shoot. Not a smuggler. Its totally out of character. He should have died...and it would have been a short rebellion smile

Geez...we could only hope?

And Jesus is not going to help you solve this issue.

JaehSkywalker
greedo is a lame shooter...

yay, 2 to 3 minutes to take aimand ready the darn blaster and he misses...

what the?!

Mr Parker
it all happens so quickly you really cant tell who shoots first so I honestly dont know what the big deal is about it either.

overlord
I honestly don't know why it had to be altered in the first place. As if he couldn't have done it before or something, Lucas just sat in his chair one day and thought "oh snap! I should've made Greedo shoot aswell, that's the reason why ESB is so much better than ANH! DERRRRRR...."

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
greedo is a lame shooter...

yay, 2 to 3 minutes to take aimand ready the darn blaster and he misses...

what the?!

He wasn't aiming, he was holding it down at his side, that's not how you shoot a gun

Jam-Jul_Lison
Originally posted by overlord
I honestly don't know why it had to be altered in the first place. As if he couldn't have done it before or something, Lucas just sat in his chair one day and thought "oh snap! I should've made Greedo shoot aswell, that's the reason why ESB is so much better than ANH! DERRRRRR...."

Something we finaly agree on. There was no reason for it to be changed at all. It showed Han as one would expect a smuggler that knew Greedo would kill him if he gave him a chance so he just took him out before he could be killed himself.

Then the add in itself was poorly done. Greedo's blaster fire looks like snake moving out of the way of han's head. No blaster fire is going to do that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.