Star Wars in 3D

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

phreak_v2.o
supposedly, all 6 sw movies r coming out in 3d starting w/ tpm this spring... sweet starwars

overlord
Pretty gay..

PVS
gay? perhaps. but you're all going to see it never the less, so dont even try to bullshit out of that.

smoker4
3-D roxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/geek.gif

DeVi| D0do
Wait... starting with TPM? Where'd you here that?

Darth_Hexus
YEah isn't it doing it in 07 or 08 right?

sithsaber408
From TF.N:

In the magazine Popular Science's June 2006 issue there's an article called "Return Of The 3D". The article features the work of a couple of companies working on transforming 2D movies into high tech 3D films, without the "distortionsi that cause your brain and stomach to revolt."

Specific quotes from the article include...

"...Lucas is expected to release a fully 3-D version of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace next spring."

"The staffers put on pairs of thick glasses and watched as clips from Star Wars were played. Suddenly the screen itself seemed to dissolve away, as scenes stretched out toward the audience. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi's faces grew closer to viewers as the characters prepared to chase a would-be assassin. Pod cars buzzing in the background really appeared to be hundreds of feet away ... Soon, the Jedi Master himself came in. George Lucas sat down, put on the glasses and, within a few minutes, passed judgment: 'I'm sold! I'm sold!'"

There's a bit more, and the article highlights a couple other big-name directors, and some major companies (including ILM) and the technologies being used to turn many movies (not just Star Wars) into big-screen 3D films.

I recieved my issue of Popular Science in the mail, I'm not sure if it's hit stores yet. Also, a web version of the article is still not available on the Popular Science website.

But yeah, seems like we can expect 3-D Star Wars in theaters next year!

-Jimmy

Here's a link to it:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/...In_3D_98598.asp

I was hoping for EPIV, since McCalum had made comments last year that they had about 10 min. of ANH converted into 3-D, but they may be converting them all at the same time, who knows.

Oh well, I'll be there in may of '07 no matter which it is.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by PVS
gay? perhaps. but you're all going to see it never the less, so dont even try to bullshit out of that.

Not this chica. I wish he'd just leave em alone.

Sith Master X
Yes! I can't wait. At least we'll all be able to get back to the theater in relive the memories.

overlord
Originally posted by PVS
gay? perhaps. but you're all going to see it never the less, so dont even try to bullshit out of that. I don't even like Star Wars that much. I'm just bored out of my skull but not bored enough to go watch SW 3D.

PeterGriffin
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I was hoping for EPIV, since McCalum had made comments last year that they had about 10 min. of ANH converted into 3-D, but they may be converting them all at the same time, who knows.

Maybe they're releasing them in chronological order?

Ill probably see it, the battle of coruscant will be awesome in 3d big grin smokin'

overlord
I hated the battle of Coruscant. Only the death star trench I found original. All the other attempts at wars between the stars were a bit dissapointing in my opinion..

greenangel
3-D~ cool

phreak_v2.o
sithsaber408 was right, i did read that in pop sci, i think it may have been last months mag... thanx 4 reminding me where i'd read that. i think that it said something about the movies being released in chronologial order. the technology that they will b using is similar to what was used for the 3d clips of superman returns (if u see it in imax)

Alliance
This is something I've wanted since I was a kid. Its so cool

but of course they're starting wiht TPM. ANH and ESB will have the biggest draws. Even if the first ones dont do so well, they can still hope to draw bigger crowds with the OT.

Tangible God
Originally posted by phreak_v2.o
supposedly, all 6 sw movies r coming out in 3d starting w/ tpm this spring... sweet starwars Ruining a good thing are they?

Rampant ox
Whoa! Count Dooku is going to be so close ill practically be able to reach out and touch him!!!

Tangible God
Originally posted by Rampant ox
Whoa! Count Dooku is going to be so close ill practically be able to reach out and touch him!!! A long time fantasy of yours you'll finally be able to act out. It'll be called: Brokeback Dooku.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Tangible God
A long time fantasy of yours you'll finally be able to act out. It'll be called: Brokeback Dooku.

LMAO!! I know I should be taking offense to that, but thats some funny sh*t!!

overlord
You have no idea how Medvock reacted to this. He can finally reach out and touch Kit Fisto before dying, then he will be touching himself. SW 3D will be the wet dream of every fanboy around the planet. As for myself, I will have to wait six damn movies before I am able to experience full princess Leia bikini galore.

That is my only reason why everybody hates me, oh why!! oh why am I not like Rampant and Medvock! I'm such a freak of nature that I am not attracted to 80 year old men or crazy fish like aliens with tentacles!!
What's wrong with me!!! weep

amity75
Even just watching 3D for a few minutes gives me an explosive headache. I may have to sit this one out.

sithsaber408
Its gonna be a new kind of 3-d, using digital projectors.

Its clear glasses too, or dark ones or something, not the old blue and red ones.

Think of Superman Returns in IMAX 3-d (awesome, from what I've heard) but with Starwars instead.

.:Space Opera:.
yeah tickets will be $20 a pop too...

MEDVOCK
This is AWESOME! Now they can finally REDO the Kit+Mace+Saesee+Agen VS Sidious scene, IN FULL 3-D!!! I can't wait!
(Kit is gonna PWN!!!)

Also, did you guys know they're remaking the Clone Wars cartoon series in full 3-D? TIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!

overlord
Yay, 3D cartoons! That will be awesome! And do I watch it in teh cinema or the television?

aj_vader
Looks like Star Wars is going to another higher Level again! big grin

Vaders hand reaching out! I AM YOUR FATHER!!!

MEDVOCK
Originally posted by overlord
Yay, 3D cartoons! That will be awesome! And do I watch it in teh cinema or the television?

They're gonna be aired on TV (like the original Clone Wars) - each episode running 30 mins.

Here's some quotes I found about it:

"A large component of the future of Star Wars and Lucasfilm is digital animation. Sansweet announced that the new Lucasfilm Animation division is open for business. "I'm very excited to be able to break the news to you here this afternoon that preproduction has begun on the next generation of the Star Wars saga, a cutting edge 30-minute, 3-D computer-animation series based on the Clone Wars that take place between Episode II ... and Episode III."

The new series, Sansweet explained, is planned for a TV debut in the Fall of 2007. "To get the series underway, Lucasfilm Animation has hired key production and creative talent to lead the development of its first animation project," said Sansweet. "Gail Currey, who's the Vice President and General Manager of Lucasfilm Animation couldn't be here today, but she asked me to tell you that the early episodic treatments for the series are absolutely amazing, and that she can't wait to share this treat with Star Wars fans."

Sansweet described the look of the new series as a melding of Asian anime with unique 3-D animation styling. He identified key members of the new television team. Executive Producer of the series will be Catherine Winder, whose credits include Ice Age, "Aeon Flux," and "Spawn." Also hired is Dave Filoni, whose credits include "Avatar: The Last Airbender." The Head of Lucasfilm Animation's Singapore location, where a lot of the animation work will take place, will be Chris Kubsch. His credits include the ILM animated short Work in Progress, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Titanic.

"Also on board is a guy who is already familiar to many Star Wars fans," said Sansweet. It's Henry Gilroy, who wrote the Dark Horse comic adaptations of both Episodes I and II.

"Over the next several years, Lucasfilm Animation will be hiring a total of about 300 digital artists and others in both locations to produce not only the series and animated feature films in the years ahead," said Sansweet."

commander fox
Originally posted by phreak_v2.o
supposedly, all 6 sw movies r coming out in 3d starting w/ tpm this spring... sweet starwars

3D?? then what the hell where the old movies in?confused confused

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by MEDVOCK
Also, did you guys know they're remaking the Clone Wars cartoon series in full 3-D? TIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!

Originally posted by overlord

Umm...I don't think they actually mean 3D...like reaching into your living room 3D...they mean it's 3D animation (ex. Over the Hedge), as opposed to traditional 2D animation. It's gonna be cutting edge because of some cool toon shader they're gonna use or something.

EPIIIBITES
The movies are being released in (put on the glasses) 3D...and IMO it's kinda gross. It's like, "let's take Casablanca and put colour all over it...that'll be cool!!!"

Just let the art rest, will you Lucas?

Alliance
I still think the #D might be cool...Just imagine the dogfights!

Its something I've always wanted as a kid. I'm going anyway. I'll probably throw a party too messed

sithsaber408
thumb up yes

It's gonna be great!

I'll love the chance just to stand in line with other StarWars fans again, plus the added bonus of watching my old faves with new technology.

Alliance
Just a chance to see SW on the big screen a gain is worth it. It better be on IMAX....or it should be.

DeVi| D0do
Star warz is bcoming teh ghey...

sithsaber408
thumb down no

Alliance
I agree. Fricking conservatives.

overlord
Lucas should have included more of exotic planets,
then it might be worth watching with ultra gay 3D glasses.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Alliance
I agree. Fricking conservatives.

I don't get you.

I disagree with the :Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Star warz is bcoming teh ghey...

but I AM a conservative. stick out tongue

Which is why I like soldiers, dogfights, a moral high ground, etc....

Alliance
I'm socially very liberal, actually a moderate. I like soldiers and dogfights. The clones are this sh*t.

There is no moral high ground though.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Alliance
I'm socially very liberal, actually a moderate. I like soldiers and dogfights. The clones are this sh*t.

There is no moral high ground though.

I meant in the starwars uninverse, i.e., the Jedi way, Light Side of the Force, Good v.s. Evil, etc...there is a moral high ground. stick out tongue

And now for a bit of sad news from TF.net about SW in 3-D:

Steve Sansweet tackled this question from one fan at the recent Fan Club Breakfast last week in San Diego. Here's his response as posted at Starwars.com.

"George and Rick are really excited about the technology they have seen in 3-D... they showed about 10 minutes of Star Wars at a trade industry show about a year ago, and there was a lot of great buzz. Well, a couple of things have turned out. You have to look at the business plan: When does it make sense to do something like that? And you need thousands of digital screen theaters. It does not work on a film projector... This may be the thing that is finally going to force a lot of theater chains to bring in digital projectors at least for one of their screens... A lot of theater chains have announced they are going ahead. That said, how long is it going to take to get three- to four- to five thousand theaters digitally converted? It's not going to happen this year. It's not going to happen by the end of next year. In addition, the process to do the movie turns out to be a little more expensive than initially thought. So you have the theaters converting, you have the costs of converting one or all of the six Star Wars movies into 3-D, and you have the fact that the technology involves wireless battery-operated glasses that blink maybe a thousand times a second; it's not like a read and blue lens. So you have to take all those factors into consideration. I think Lucasfilm is still very interested in releasing the saga in 3-D. I think it's really just a matter of time, but I don't think it's going to be in the next couple of years."

commander fox
Originally posted by commander fox
3D?? then what the hell where the old movies in?confused confused

I asked a question...angel

overlord
Well, you see something on a screen just like your photo's of horses on the background and they are 2D. They don't stick out or got any curves or whatever. It's all one side! eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.