Inquiry re Exar Kun/Vodo-Siosk Baas duels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vious
I've been looking at the Tales of the Jedi comics as reference material for Exar Kun's double bladed lightsaber, and something struck me as interesting, and I wondered if anyone might know the reason why.
That Master Vodo was able to fight and disarm Exar with his walking stick doesn't surprise me, but, that he actually blocked Exar's blade with his walking stick did. Does anyone know why/how he was able to do this, as the only materials supposed to be able to block lightsaber blades are Mandalorian Iron, Phrik Allow and Cortosis, but not wood...

jollyjim311
He has the power to make it "More powerful than Exar Kun's lightsaber."

Darth Vious
So somehow using the Force to alter the molecular structure of the wood itself?

jollyjim311
I don't think specifics were mentioned. At any rate, you don't need to read that far into it. Just know that he can make his staff energy resilient.

Lord Saboteur
Originally posted by Darth Vious
So somehow using the Force to alter the molecular structure of the wood itself? Presumably yes, but that didn't save him later on in in The Sith Wars, now did it?

jollyjim311
Maybe Exar use it too, on his groin, so that while using an over hand attack on Vodo, he didn't split himself down the middle?!

http://www.swcomics.com/Old_Republic_Era_c.php?i=25&f=27&name=The_Sith_War_3_of_6

Darth Vious
Precicely, which was what made me wonder how/why he was able to do it.

My only other throught was maybe during the first duel, Exar's saber was in a low power 'training mode' like the youngling sabers in the PT. One scene did mention him turning up the intensity, so I wondered if until then, it had still been in 'training mode'.

Darth Vious
.Double post

kamikz
I just don't think it could take too much force put down on it. It is unable to break, but Exar picks up another saber and smashes them at the same time and breaks his staff. At the other time (shown above) he uses all his hate and his anger while striking, and...well I guess it made him alot stronger......

Another thing could be that Vodo was preparing to be a force spirit like Obi-Wan with Darth Vader. He talks alot about that he wins now, but not later, and that this is not the end. When then Exar struck his staff Vodo had already given up fighting and his force no longer supported his staff, thus Exar broke through it with only one saber....

jollyjim311
Vious, it wasn't mentioned, so, I'd say no. He probably just whacked it and broke it. Like, hitting a stick with a stick. Lightsabers can't be physically broken, and, despite Vodo's power, wood can. That's how I saw it.

HK69
However it just shows that Kun winning was not due to his swordsmanship but due to Vodo's stick being inferior, and therefor it's hard to determine who was actually a better swordsman. Vodo was imo.

Captain REX
Presumably what the thing was with the stick is that Vodo strengthened it with the Force, altering its molecular structure and whatnot, etc.

Kun actually smashed through the stick.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by HK69
However it just shows that Kun winning was not due to his swordsmanship but due to Vodo's stick being inferior, and therefor it's hard to determine who was actually a better swordsman. Vodo was imo.
Well that's the thing... In Crouching Tiger, there's a scene where the Master is duelling with a bamboo branch against a sword, and survived. Master Vodo was able to use his stick to disarm Exar, which was pretty impressive, but I agree, we didn't see them actually 'cross swords'. If Vodo was indeed using the Force to somehow strengthen the stick, that is indeed an impressive power.

jollyjim311
It doesn't seem that great. It's just specific and could be easily replaced by a lightsaber...

Captain REX
I could see it being useful in other circumstances. Someone's cutting through the door to kill you? Strengthen the door so that they can't. wink

Just a matter of style, I suppose.

There's a few panels (particularly when Vodo is cut down) where the lightsaber looks like it has hit the stick.

DE Luke
Originally posted by Captain REX
I could see it being useful in other circumstances. Someone's cutting through the door to kill you? Strengthen the door so that they can't. wink

Or,get out a gun and prepare to fill them with more holes than swiss cheese.

GM Nebaris
Well I think that it's pretty obvious why Vodo uses the stick. It is basically the ultimate jedi weapon in Vodo's point of view.

It can withstand the incredible cutting power of a lightsaber (due to Vodo's manipulation via the force) and so is a formidable weapon, and Vodo seems to have mastered it and it seems to be his preferred weapon (it also seems to be an ideal weapon for both his size (large enough to protect his whole body) and for defence(the way in which he wields it in the comic give the impression that it is almost impossible to break his defence - Kun was never able to do so)).

The goal of a true and orthodox jedi (like Vodo) is almost never to kill and Vodo's stick is basically harmless (well compared to a lightsaber) on contact and so is perfect for disarming an opponent (which is always a jedi's goal) and enables the user to not hold back in fear of killing its opponent.

These are the two main reasons why I think that it was the ultimate weapon for a jedi like Vodo and why I think that he chose to use it.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by jollyjim311
It doesn't seem that great. It's just specific and could be easily replaced by a lightsaber...
To be fair, it's pretty impressive to duel someone with a weapon that is nowhere near as powerfull as their's, and under normal circumstances, could not even be used to directly block the incoming blade. It's a sign of incredible skill, and as pointed out, total adherence to the philosophy that the Force is used for knowledge and defence, never to attack.

kamikz
It was said to be better than a lightsaber....

GM Nebaris
It clearly wasn't.

Darth Vious
Originally posted by kamikz
It was said to be better than a lightsaber....
I think he was speaking philosophically. A stick is clearly not a superior weapon to an energy blade capable of cutting effortlessly through most known materials...

kamikz
Well it actually said stronger than a lightsaber, not better, stronger. (My bad, read it wrong).

(Post number 2000)

Rampant ox
Originally posted by kamikz

(Post number 2000)

Congratulations!! big grin clapbig grin clapbig grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.