Why Do Crappy Bands Always Cover "Smells Like Teen Spirit?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
Anyone else noticed this? On Youtube Ive seen a dozen videos of the song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana being covered by kids who completely destroy a simple song.

Why that particular song? Why it over any other Nirvana song? Or any other easy rock song, for that matter?

Later Ill post some examples so you can see what I mean

Bloigen
NIRVANA SUCKS!

Just wanted to get that out my system. herbjedi

SelphieT
yeah, I read in an interview with Kurt Cobain that he was disappointed that all the wrong people like that song. He wrote it against all the popular kids, and then all the popular kids took that song over......and its just overrated and totally cliche now.....sad

SelphieT
Originally posted by Bloigen
NIRVANA SUCKS!

Just wanted to get that out my system. herbjedi

......I like them. *covers eyes*

Bloigen
Originally posted by SelphieT

herbjedi

Bardock42
Originally posted by SelphieT

......I like them *covers smells like teen spirit*

Nevermind
Because they think stoner's are cool. On that note, Nirvana's cool.

RedAlertv2
NIRVANA SUCKS!

Just wanted to get that out my system. herbjedi Nirvana's skill was questionable, but the fact of the matter is they brought grunge to the masses. Even though they werent the best grunge band, they still brought the genre to the public eye.

But thats not really the point of this thread.

Edit - For the record, I like Nirvana

Bloigen
Nirvana had no skill.

herbjedi

Nevermind
herbjedi

Get on MSN.

NOW!! shock

Bloigen
Originally posted by Nevermind
Get on MSN.

NOW!! shock

I am, I think.

herbjedi

RogerRamjet
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Anyone else noticed this? On Youtube Ive seen a dozen videos of the song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana being covered by kids who completely destroy a simple song.

Why that particular song? Why it over any other Nirvana song? Or any other easy rock song, for that matter?

Later Ill post some examples so you can see what I mean

because it has only three chords so nearly every beginner can handle it...it's just the ingenious simplicity of the arrangement...

Bloigen
Wait, no I'm not. What the hell?

herbjedi

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by RogerRamjet
because it has only three chords so nearly every beginner can handle it...it's just the ingenious simplicity of the arrangement... Thats true. But Ive seen so many people do terrible jobs at it. The fact that it is a ridiculously easy song only makes it worse.

PeterGriffin
Maybe cause they think its a popular song, so covering it will make them popular? Stupid crappy bands...

Punkyhermy
Nirvana is overrated. roll eyes (sarcastic)

SelphieT
I like them, but they aren't the greatest band in the world to me.....

Flamboyant4Life
Nirvana isn't very musically talented, but I still love 'em.

Flamboyant4Life
wasn't*

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
Nirvana is overrated. roll eyes (sarcastic) Yeah seriously, whats the big deal with Nirvana? All they did was singlehandedly expose the entire world to the Seattle sound.roll eyes (sarcastic)

Every other band from the scene got big thanks to Nirvana. That includes Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Coldplay are overrated. Nirvana arent wink

Leo.M
Nirvana was only really good when Kurt Cobain was still alive. The bands still good, but not as good as when Kurt was around. rock

And the song, Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the best songs out there. stereo

Originally posted by Punkyhermy
Nirvana is overrated. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Coldplay is overrated. stick out tongue

C-Dic
First things first, Nirvana is singular. When you refer to 'em, it's "Nirvana were overrated". "Nirvana suck". Cobain wasn't Nirvana and vice versa.

Secondly, Nirvana were not and are not overrated. They're overhyped by kids who lament Kurt's death, even though they were 3 or 4 at the time, holding him in a godlike regard when alls he was was a guitar player for a rock band.

They cranked out a lot of great tunes and a signature sound, but they were far from revolutionary, music wise. In fact, they were better acoustic than live instrumentally, and Kurt, to his credit was a great, deep song writer.

Anycrap, everyone who ever covers the song, they do it because it's part of the clause when you sleep with Courtney Love, that you have to cover a Nirvana track, and give her a cut of your take from the door.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.