Wolfmother

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
They're nothing too orignal. They sound kinda like The Hives. I like them though, think they're great.

tabby999
they're a shameless rip off, ac/dc, led zepplin, black sabbath, all these bands had great, original, killer music, these guys just raped the sound. they're re-packaging the older, better music, dont add anything and sell it to the ignorant "youth" market who dont know the older, better bands. atleast when the Darkness did it they added something.

Flying High
they sounded good when i saw them live yesterday....no other bands were on at the time and a decent band were on after them smile

i wouldnt have said it was a waste of money...

Flamboyant4Life
My friend actually introduced them to me the other day. They're actually pretty good.

papabeard
Derivative but enjoyable. They will vanish as soon as they have appeared.

PeterGriffin
Wolfmother kick ass smokin'

Deicide
they have the song the radio constantly drives in ur skull, that sounds like Zeppelin's "were gonna groove"

Deicide
oh, and i have all the Family Guy sets that have come out on dvd.....nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.....

Mišt
Originally posted by tabby999
they're a shameless rip off, ac/dc, led zepplin, black sabbath, all these bands had great, original, killer music, these guys just raped the sound. they're re-packaging the older, better music, dont add anything and sell it to the ignorant "youth" market who dont know the older, better bands. atleast when the Darkness did it they added something.

Eventually old bands die off, they might have been good at some point, maybe even still a bit now, but newer bands come out all the time, you can't keep rehashing the same 'this band has just copied this other band who basically invented the genre' argument, or else you cant have any new bands entering that particular genre without everyone sounding the same.

There are plenty of bands coming out all the time, most are aimed at the marketable age range of young adults, you dont see these people walking around all the time going 'oh hey man, how about that ac/dc, led zeppelin, black sabbath album?', those bands appealed to the people who grew up with them back when they came out, and these new bands appeal to people who are growing up with them now. Not everyone has to like the older bands, it doesnt make them ignorant for liking new bands. Those older bands had their limelight, its selfish to keep rejecting newer bands and going back to the ones who already made their mark.

Alpha Centauri

Mišt
They might not be innovative, fresh or edgy from a technical point of view, but they sell albums because people like the music regardless of where it came from. Theres a good 30 years of music between the 70s and now, they need a selling point at the moment because they are a new band, trying something new could potentialy ruin them and sink them to the bottom. There isnt a lot of original and good material out at the moment, most artists seem focused on getting their name in the public first, then getting their music out. If they did try something new in later albums, they can only get better than where they are now. The Darkness have a good style and I like that they are different, but it suits their style of music. Even though they brought something new, people still didnt suddenly rush out to buy their albums. I dont know how big they are over at your country, I know they have fans and all, but when they were getting radio coverage, people were thinking it was crap because it was different. They are still building their market up, but they arent as popular to the mainstream for being different. As I said before, most bands these days market towards young adults, most of whom probably dont care about past bands who 'made' the genres into what they are. If it sounds good, they'll buy it.

Not many people know where they got their shit from in the first place though. Unless you are knowledgeable in the field of music, you're not going to know who influenced who, who developed something new etc. If you took say...a 15 year old, listening to a song by a newer band like Wolfmother on the radio, that doesnt exactly scream 'Led Zeppelin influence, stop listening!', given that those older bands dont even get much radio coverage. Most teenagers dont have 30 years of knowledge to be able to debate that.

Alpha Centauri

Mišt
Yeah I know, and I agree with you, I also agree with the original post "They are nothing original....but I still like them". Im not giving them credit for doing anything, because they aren't anything new or whatever, they just sound good and different to the rest of the crap played today.

My whole argument was towards tabby's post about the 'ignorant' market, I didn't know Wolfmother sounded like those older bands, and Im sure plenty of other people dont either, that doesnt make us ignorant. I cant research the background, if I dont know what the background is to start with.

jaden101
yeah wolfmother are pretty decent....certainly got more promise than dirty pretty things, the fratellis, the automatic and other such bands doing the rounds at the moment

Flying High
aww...i like the fratellis and the automatic...both great live bands...saw them on sunday...

tabby999

Alpha Centauri
I've always wondered how AC/DC are perceived in general where you are, Tabby. Are they considered national treasures or are they so big that people tend to backlash?

-AC

tabby999
national treasures man, theres never been any real backlash towards them, infact theres a AC/DC lane in melbourne now, they're pretty universally loved over here. People go in droves to Bon Scotts grave, its like our version of Jim Morrisons grave

Imaginary
I love both AC/DC and Wolfmother, and yeah I know that Wolfmother, along with lots of other bands out these days, is built off 70's rock in general, but that doesn't mean I can't like them. Like Michael reiterated... They're nothing original, but I like them.

Outcesticide
Nothing special with Wolfmother but it's worth the buy.

linkslittlehelp
wolfmother is a cross between led zeppelin and black sabbath......I LOVE IT

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.