Has anyone ever changed their opinion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
Has a post, thread or particular words of a poster ever changed your opinion or caused you to look into an issue further?

There are some intelligent people who post here and I am thankful that some of them have intellgently inspired me to question some of my beliefs while others have educated me regarding certain issues.

Has anyone else had that experience, or do we just post here to shout about how right we are?

Alpha Centauri
Many people have said things I haven't necessarily thought of but end up agreeing with once brought to light.

Not necessarily changed a belief though.

-AC

debbiejo
Sure. I'm open minded enough to look at facts.

Bardock42
Sure of course many posts have inspired me..some made me agree in the end....some later thinking on my own.

Only one I can really think of now is a rather stupid one "Goku vs. Superman"

When it comes to serious topic a change is much harder and slower to achieve...after all I am a little stubborn...or let's jsut call it pride.

WrathfulDwarf
No

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
No

Haha..you are infallible....except for your choice in names.

PVS
you misspelled "impossible"

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
you misspelled "impossible"

You mean me? Fact of the matter is that I misspelled Infallible .....I didn't even attempt to spell impossible...then again you might want to argue that since I said infallible I misspelled "impossible"...but applying that same logic I also misspelled "dog" since I didn't want to say it.

PVS
geek

§cooter
Infallible is a word stick out tongue

And yes, actually.

Bardock42

Wonderer
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Has a post, thread or particular words of a poster ever changed your opinion or caused you to look into an issue further?

There are some intelligent people who post here and I am thankful that some of them have intellgently inspired me to question some of my beliefs while others have educated me regarding certain issues.

Has anyone else had that experience, or do we just post here to shout about how right we are?

Yes! I stumbled into Shakyamunison in the Religion forum, can't remember the exact thread. Something in his posts really caught my attention and I started to PM him. At the time I was a full blown, pessimistic atheist and heavily, painfully addicted to prescription drugs for depression and anxiety. He told me about Buddhism. Slowly but surely it started to really interest me, then it became part of my thoughts and now I am a Buddhist myself. I shifted my entire view of life into a more spiritual direction, I even started to feel the pressence of something greater in life...maybe even God and the real effect of Buddha's practical (mentally medicinal) wisdom, methods and advice. I also freed myself from my addictions.

If I had not come accross Shakyamunison in the Religion forum, I don't know whether my beliefs and views would ever have changed.

Eis

Yes, but not on KMC forums. erm

lil bitchiness

Of course.

There are some things which I have thought of differently before reading certain articles and certain points of view - I take into consideration everything that is said, with a particular manner of course.

Someone who speaks with a patronising tone, or with a superiority complex, I do not deem as knowledgable, but insecure, and I tend not to respond or read their posts.

The chances of their posts ever changing my mind are minimal.

Fire
it happens, used to happen more tho, before the downfall of the gdf, but it still happens now and then.

Grand Moff Gav
I have had things brought to my attention here but It's never changed an oppinion.

jaden101
Originally posted by Wonderer
Yes! I stumbled into Shakyamunison in the Religion forum, can't remember the exact thread. Something in his posts really caught my attention and I started to PM him. At the time I was a full blown, pessimistic atheist and heavily, painfully addicted to prescription drugs for depression and anxiety. He told me about Buddhism. Slowly but surely it started to really interest me, then it became part of my thoughts and now I am a Buddhist myself. I shifted my entire view of life into a more spiritual direction, I even started to feel the pressence of something greater in life...maybe even God and the real effect of Buddha's practical (mentally medicinal) wisdom, methods and advice. I also freed myself from my addictions.

If I had not come accross Shakyamunison in the Religion forum, I don't know whether my beliefs and views would ever have changed.

wow...thats pretty big...cant say shakyamunison would change my religious beliefs...he makes some pretty good music though

Hit_and_Miss
With the amount of people here who find it hard to admit there wrong sometimes I would be surprised if anybody ever changed there thoughts here!

botankus
Changed my opinion on the subject matter? Very, very rarely.
Changed my opinion on the poster? All the time!

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by botankus

"Truth here, there be" - Yoda

Alpha Centauri

This I agree with, infact it happened just now. The latter, I mean.

-AC

botankus
laughing out loud Glad I could help, AC.

Shakyamunison

Wonderer
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
With the amount of people here who find it hard to admit there wrong sometimes I would be surprised if anybody ever changed there thoughts here!

People aren't prepared to change their beliefs, opinions, etc. because they are to proud of them and too attached to them - they self-identify with ideas and opinions to the extent that they only cling on to an idea because it makes them feel more of their selves and egos. People should learn to use ideas and views to their own and others benefit and improvement, like medicine, not become hooked on it.

Shaky, It's not that I give you all the credit, but that I acknowledge your valueble input and influence, but in the end we can only change ourselves.

Wonderer

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wonderer
...Shaky, It's not that I give you all the credit, but that I acknowledge your valueble input and influence, but in the end we can only change ourselves.

In that case, thank you. smile

whobdamandog
Not all "opinions" are meant to change anothers view. Some are meant as warnings. Others are given out for the sake of an individual not having an excuse when it is later revealed to them that their "opinion" on said subject did not represent truth.

Think about it. If someone tells you that by jumping off of a building..you will kill yourself, and you do not agree with this "opinion", then you have no one to blame other than yourself..when your opinion is proven to be false, and when you are forced to face the consequences of having an opinion that doesn't represent truth.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by whobdamandog
Not all "opinions" are meant to change anothers view. Some are meant as warnings. Others are given out for the sake of an individual not having an excuse when it is later revealed to them that their "opinion" on said subject did not represent truth.

Think about it. If someone tells you that by jumping off of a building..you will kill yourself, and you do not agree with this "opinion", then you have no one to blame other than yourself..when your opinion is proven to be false, and when you are forced to face the consequences of having an opinion that doesn't represent truth.

Are you still going on about this "jumping off of a building" thing eek! Get over it, man. laughing

PVS
Others are given out for the sake of an individual not having an excuse when it is later revealed to them that their "opinion" on said subject did not represent truth.

in which case they will then post many smilies and 'owned' pics and declare themselves the winner

soleran30

there are very VERY few absolutes and truths happen to fall into a more subjective rangesmile

K.Diddy
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
No

Grand Moff Gav

Skynard
No, I'm just as stubborn as the other people. Lets think, for which if our opinion changed from a thread, lets say a opinion makes us special.

Arachnoidfreak

I was totally going to post this.

Get out of my head.

MARCMAN
I have been reading tons of posts and many of the discussions/debates are very intersting but what I noticed is that people never seem to change there point of view. They just argue forever.

Why do you think that is?

Janus Marius
Cuz people are damn stubborn. I've convinced a few people, but mostly after a lot of lengthy posts. And it was their choice to change, not mine.

GCG
I think we have a thread along these lines. It was titled "Has a post ever changed your opinion ?" and then Botanikus wrote:

"opinion of the subject = No ; opinion of the poster = Yes"

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by GCG
I think we have a thread along these lines. It was titled "Has a post ever changed your opinion ?" and then Botanikus wrote:

"opinion of the subject = No ; opinion of the poster = Yes"

laughing

debbiejo
There was a similar thread like this...........and yes, I do read the posts, give them thought, and I have changed my views on some subjects...... big grin

But not everybody is as opened minded as I am...........I guess I'm just overly intelligent.......

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
There was a similar thread like this...........and yes, I do read the posts, give them thought, and I have changed my views on some subjects...... big grin

But not everybody is as opened minded as I am...........I guess I'm just overly intelligent.......

Or so open minded that your brain fell out. laughing jk

debbiejo
mad
lol.............Not!

The Omega
Not changed my opinion on "heavier" issues like DP, abortion, GWB, evolution etc. That's mostly because I've not been presented with arguments I can use on my "foundation of premises" so to speak.
However, I can debate and exchange viewpoints with people capable of intelligent debate, and sometimes understand their viewpoints, such as the viewpoints in favour of capital punishment. It did not change my standpoint, but it made me see some of the points in favour of CP better.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by The Omega
Not changed my opinion on "heavier" issues like DP

Double penetration?

The Omega
No, the Death Penalty...

DiamondBullets
OK, thanks for clearing that up for us.

meep-meep
Yes I have changed some of my perceptions due to some people here and elsewhere. I'd agree with lil bitchiness in that I tend to listen to people who are not very egotistical though. All in all I gotta say there are some pretty insightful people here who rightfully pounce on any stray not-well-thought-out post that happens to make it's way on to KMC. I have been the victim of that pounce on many occassions. So, thanks for pouncings. I think I've learned some things from them.

Thunderstrike
Only about music stuff and comic books.

docb77
So here's the question - Has anyone ever actually changed their opinion based on something they've read in here?

I've argued on quite a few threads, but I've never seen an argument good enough to change my opinion, and it would seem that my arguments are insufficient to change anyones mind as well. So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever - at all - shifted their opinion based on an argument in a forum thread. If you have, please tell us about it. What was your original opinion, and what changed your mind?

xmarksthespot
Well at first I was with Barbara, but Star does give a compelling version of her side of the story. I'm torn.

Bardock42
Haha, this post will change docb77's opinion that to open this thread was a good idea...you just watch....

...are you watching....

...are you....

...here it is...

QED

Soleran
you mispelled just, sheesh

Bardock42
Originally posted by Soleran
you mispelled just, sheesh

Not anymore

finti
you now arrogaqnce is a bliss so keep up with this I know and I belive and dont listen to the other part cause I got a f***** mp3 player stuck in my ear, right winged ego trip MF dumbass yankee attitiude and then go on.....................................if you aint from the states still f*** off you dumbassed little ignorant ****

docb77
Originally posted by Bardock42
Haha, this post will change docb77's opinion that to open this thread was a good idea...you just watch....

...are you watching....

...are you....

...here it is...

QED

guilty. I wonder why that wasn't on top when I did the search before I made the thread. If there are any mods looking go ahead and join the threads.

GCG
AHHHHHHHHH !!

THIS QUESTION AGAIN !

K.Diddy
Originally posted by finti
you now arrogaqnce is a bliss so keep up with this I know and I belive and dont listen to the other part cause I got a f***** mp3 player stuck in my ear, right winged ego trip MF dumbass yankee attitiude and then go on.....................................if you aint from the states still f*** off you dumbassed little ignorant ****

laughing laughing laughing

Alliance
eek!

debbiejo
laughing out loud

hitokiri jin
hmm I just joined in here so there really isnt much basis on changing my opinion based on some reply made in here...but I have done so many times in other forums...

any way its best to stick with your first opinion and try to defend it as much as you can, eventually, youll tire off the ggeks,nerds, etc that try to challenge your opinion and run off...of course, when push comes to shove theres always the if-you-cant beat them-join them- button...

botankus
Oh, I almost forgot about the time PVS changed his opinion about our President:

Originally posted by PVS
we've got bush

Regret
It seems to me that the major shift in my opinion typically comes when someone I thought might be a decent person to discuss things with makes a comment/s soooo stupid I am forced to change my opinion of them and attempt to ignore them... (e.g. JIA... JBF)

allofyousuckkk
I pride myself in being able to read others views and see the facts, which eventually leads to me taking the most logical side. Damn I'm perfect.

autumn dreams
I haven't changed my mind on anything I have read here, if anything, reading comments here has made my beliefs even stronger than before.

docb77
One thing that I've noticed upon arguing in some of these threads is that my view gets pushed to the extreme. I generally take a right of center view, but some people who argue on the left can't accept that and I find myself defending views that are even more to the right than those I actually hold.

autumn dreams
Originally posted by docb77
One thing that I've noticed upon arguing in some of these threads is that my view gets pushed to the extreme. I generally take a right of center view, but some people who argue on the left can't accept that and I find myself defending views that are even more to the right than those I actually hold.

The only thing I hate is when person views/opinions are taken out of context.

Alliance
Originally posted by docb77

It happens. People tend to polarize. I say just be above it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.