Ben's lack of imagination...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Another one of my questions... not sure if you;ve been through this one before...

Obi-Wan goes into hiding on Tatooine, right? This in itself seems to be a strange choice of planet to hide Luke, but never mind all that.

Now, why does this Jedi in hding wear his bloody robes? Talk about asking for trouble...

Mind you, perhaps it WAS a great idea. Everyone else on Tatooine dressed the same way as well- severe Jedi envy on that planet.

Ok, what this all comes from is that GL decided to make Obi-Wan's gear the standard Jedi Uniform, possibly forgetting that it was originally the Tatooine gear, and not meant to be his old uniform. For years I thought what Luke was wearing in ROTJ was proper Jedi gear- and from what I hear, early versions of TPM Jedi wore something very similar...

Anyhow. So, to bring all that together- Obi-Wan seems to display an appalling l;ack of imagination with the whole set-up as of the start of Episode IV. Anyone got any good ideas as to why this is all so?

mechmoggy
Maybe the beard was false? Hell superman puts on glasses and they don't recognise him!

queeq
laughing out loud

I always had that problem with the Jedi robes. I'd have preferred some cooler dress myself. Hence my rebellion against the robe in the role play.

Ushgarak
Fair enough. I'm waiting for someone else to make a move in that, by the way...

queeq
So am I, actually. But Xizor's latest move complicates things.

Ushgarak
It won't be a problem.

DarthBorgie
y not?

Ushgarak
These things work themselves out, and Xizor has edited his post anyway.

DarthBorgie
Thats good

Ushgarak
Time to bring this old topic back into foucs. Any ideas, anyone, on my original point up top?

finti
I kind of asked for the same thing only it regarded Luke. You find it under the why skywalker thread.

King Jedi
I like the Jedi uniform. It's kind of passive and unthreatening. The first mission the Jedi are on in TPM is to negotiate peace. If they walked into a peace meeting wearing military clothes and battle gear then I don't think it would work.

Also they have to fit in with the other people in the Galaxy. In TPM Qui-Gon walks around Mos Espa and no one except Anakin realises that he is a Jedi and the only disguise he has is a poncho. I think that's why Obi-Wan just kept his uniform. But if you watch ANH then you'll notice that in almost all of his scenes where he is in Mos Eisley he is covering himself up and hiding his face. I think he realises the dangers of living on Tatooine but he has to because of Luke.

Thats one thing I didn't like about Ewan McGregors performance in TPM. In ANH Obi-Wan seems odd. He walks nervously and always seems to be on edge but in TPM he has this swagger when he walks and is very confident. I hope he becomes more like the old Obi-Wan in ep2.

yerssot
I am of the opinion that TPM was released too quickly after the Special Editions, there are a few things that are not right if you compare Tatooine in TPM and ANH, those robes are a new example

jedi212guy
Well, OB1 is going to experience a lot of stuff in II and III to make him a bit edgy.

yerssot
Like he was dumped by Annakin for Padme wink

King Jedi
He was dumped by Qui-Gon for Anakin as well.

sand person no. 10
i always felt quite sorry for ob1, it was partly his fault that qgj died, partly his fault that anakin turned, he then had to leave in a sandpit for the rest of his life gaurding Luke, as far as we know he had no hot looking Natalie Portman type chasing after him, he then gets killed by Vader and then has to watch from afar as Luke gets his hand chopped off and labelled a liar by vader, oh happy days

jedi212guy
But he gets eternal life with Yoda and a redeemed Anakin!

King Jedi
And he kicked Darth Mauls ass. But I agree with you. He had a pretty tough life.

yerssot
And QGJ said in the commercial:
It will be a hard life etc.
So it was coming to him

sand person no. 10
its luke who redeemed anakin not ob1 so he can't take much credit, and is eternal life such a good thing, specially when you can't do anything but sit around with someone who killed all your friends and a little green alien. oh happy days.

yerssot
They can play poker for example

King Jedi
And they probably role play with each other. I think Yoda would want to be a bounty hunter and Obi-Wan a Sith, just for a change.

Ratcat
Is becoming One with the Force, the same as eternal life?

jedi212guy
It's never explictly stated. It's just my interpretation of "becoming one with the Force."

KDawg
I would think that eternal life would be a good thing because you can see changes in technology and watch your family and friends evolve. It would probably get boring though.

Also. Can you sleep when you are One with the Force? I mean you're only a spirit. It would probably get boring though.

Ratcat
I think that would be the last thing I would do. It could become very depressing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.