Supernatural crews?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
There is one thing that bugs me about the POTC trilogy.

The major villains are always backed by a crew that is cursed or supernatural.

The crew of the Black Pearl has the curse of the Aztec gold upon them. They break the curse, of course, but it was a very original story. They can't die, they can't feel, etc.

Then, Davy Jones and the crew of the Flying Dutchman...also cannot die.

Then, spoilers from the upcoming POTC3 say that Sao Feng's crew, once again, is supernatural. I'm going to guess that cannot die as well.

Do you think that the plot still would have been good had the Flying Dutchman crew not been invincible?

jessigem
no it wouldn't have. because if his crew could die, liz woulda killed them all because she's so pro with a sword and the guy who's head turns into a hermit crab wouldn't have been able to crawl away with his body carrying the chest. and in the first movie, if the crew wasn't undead, it woulda ruined jack's whole plan of action. it would just be a regular war if the evil people could actually die from a sword.
war

Captain REX
I liked it in Black Pearl, but...I think reusing the invincible undying crew idea just made it less impressive. I would have been more entertained if they were just more skilled or had some other mystical powers being the crew of the Flying Dutchman...

jessigem
i didn't really notice that they were both supernatural until you pointed it out.....mostly because almost every evil villian is/has a supernatural crew. no expression

evilm0nki3
What is supernatural about Sao feng's crew?

jessigem
they probably can't die

evilm0nki3
I read that Sao Feng is supposed to be demonic or sumthin and I want to know how true this is or how he is demonic? I don't want to watch a movie with a demon pirate! Why would they put a demon pirate in a disney movie!?

allofyousuckkk
Are supernatural, and they cannot die

sorry, it was bugging me

spencerspider
if they could die then jack and friends would easily win so they got to be undead or something

Gauze
I think the whole supernatural thing wasn't thought out all that greatly in Dead Man's Chest. After all, this crew did all begin out as 'human'. I fail to realize how Davy Jones (once an average human sailor) tore out his heart, survived, and shoved it in a chest. =/

I really dislike the fact that the Flying Dutchman can simply go underwater at Jones' command. The ship itself is wood, not supernatural. There would be no means of getting a ship to do that. =/

I know it's a Disney, family, and fun movie. But those technicalities really bug me. Dead Man's Chest was full of them.

spencerspider
its a movie, it aint real, so why does it have to have technicalities

*-=Fat sacK=-*
I heard somewere that the flying dutchman was in myth stories a ghost ship not made of wood and thats why i could go underwater but hey who knows.

I agree spencerspider when he said that if the villians weren't imortal then Jack and company would win to easily. There has to be some kind of advantage that the villians have otherwise there wouldn't be half the plot. I mean almost all villians have an advantage over the hero/s. Eg Lex Luther has kriptonite over superman, Green goblin can fly spiderman can't and so the green goblin usually only fight while in the air, king john has wave after wave of men at his disposel against Robin hood, same with Captain hook and peter pan etc... if a villian didn't have an advantage over the hero than the villians defeat would mean nothing.

Mišt
True, but it takes out the excitement. We all know the heroes aren't going to be able to fight and kill the pirates if they're already undead, therefore any fight scenes are going to be pointless and end up being a waste of time. And, theres probably going to be some anti-curse the heroes have to find before they engage the villains eg. the Aztec gold from the first, which takes the fun out of the whole conflict. It would be more exciting if the villains were mortal, but couldnt be defeated easily due to superior numbers or something, like Lord of the Rings. At least then, when the heroes and villains engage in battle, theres no telling who could win.

Its as pointless as Jack and Barbossa fighting in the first movie, it was a cool fight, but it served nothing, neither of them could win. They may as well have sat down and had a cup of tea for all the good it did.

spencerspider
like Jack said "or he could surrender" be happy there is a fight lol. think if they had gotten will and just cut his hand first and everything was happy-go-lucky

jessigem
i don't think they would've just cut his hand, they said something about his throat.... blink
and i don't think the flying dutchman is made of wood, it's made of a mixture of sealife(barnacles and such) and very old crewmates.
this is really a disney movie anymore. this 2nd movie was pushing the PG13 mark, so i don't think the 3rd movie is going to be very kiddish....
i think i think too much confused

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
Are supernatural, and they cannot die

sorry, it was bugging me

He's talking about the crew...One crew...Not every individual of the crew...So it is "The crew IS supernatural."

Originally posted by *-=Fat sacK=-*
I heard somewere that the flying dutchman was in myth stories a ghost ship not made of wood and thats why i could go underwater but hey who knows.

I agree spencerspider when he said that if the villians weren't imortal then Jack and company would win to easily. There has to be some kind of advantage that the villians have otherwise there wouldn't be half the plot. I mean almost all villians have an advantage over the hero/s. Eg Lex Luther has kriptonite over superman, Green goblin can fly spiderman can't and so the green goblin usually only fight while in the air, king john has wave after wave of men at his disposel against Robin hood, same with Captain hook and peter pan etc... if a villian didn't have an advantage over the hero than the villians defeat would mean nothing.

It's a folklore...The flying Dutchman is a ghost ship that is destined to sail the seven seas for all eternity...It's crew is unable to go home.

jessigem
exactly. and i agree with spencerspider also. if the evil villian didn't have an advantage over the hero, then the hero wouldn't be much of a hero when it beat the villian.batman

spencerspider
yea and jesse um i meant like if they had gotten him first before elizabeth. if she didnt take it from him when he was a boy. they cut her hand and then said throat. so they might have just cut his hand too lol

jessigem
huh maybe....or if they had gotten him first then he'd be a real pirate. pirate

spencerspider
AHH i was trying to make a point be happy we got this

jessigem
big grin i'm happy big grin

spencerspider
again same lol

jessigem
laughing out loud the smilies better

spencerspider
true

jessigem
euro

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.