Religion... a tool of the government?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Great Vengeance
Throughout the ages, political leaders have always tried to control the masses and in doing so gain more power. Is religion merely one of these tools?

Sometimes physical enforcement of laws isnt enough. I see religion as capable of controlling people on another level, so that not only do people need to worry about physical enforcement of laws, but you also need to worry about going to hell. Religion invites a sense of something much greater than yourself....a historically powerful idea. Discuss.

Regret
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Throughout the ages, political leaders have always tried to control the masses and in doing so gain more power. Is religion merely one of these tools?

Sometimes physical enforcement of laws isnt enough. I see religion as capable of controlling people on another level, so that not only do people need to worry about physical enforcement of laws, but you also need to worry about going to hell. Religion invites a sense of something much greater than yourself....a historically powerful idea. Discuss.

I do believe that throughout history religion has been used by the government to do its will. I believe that this is one of the major occurrences in the early Christian Church. Once Rome decided it would be beneficial for it to control the Church, it manipulated many things. Also, look at the Church of England, it was created to serve the King because he disagreed with the Catholics. Look at Bush, he plays it up. I don't think he controls it, but I do believe he uses it.

I do not believe it is "merely" at tool, but it has been used from time to time.

Alliance
Everythting and Anything can be used as a tool. Its no surprise that religion is used.

The Omega

debbiejo
True true!! Look at history Religions has always seemed to take on some sort of IMPORTANT role, and all to the death of many...Geez even Lincoln used it....I think most ALL Presidents used it along with The Roman Catholic church. Even taking it into the bedroom and telling what sexual position was acceptable to god and what is of Satan....Missionary Missionary position....You can only SPEAD the truth in one way....

Storm

debbiejo
An old rhyme:

Lincoln lincoln I've been thinking, what the hell have you been thinking, looks like water, taste like wine, oh my god it's turpentine

Yes our religious leaders use what ever platform they can to sway people....

Shakyamunison
Yes, but TV is also a tool of the government.

Alliance
many things are tools of government.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alliance
many things are tools of government.

Including you? stick out tongue

leonheartmm
couldnt agree more.

debbiejo
Goverment is taking the TOOL!!..............and using it to their benefit.

You think they're stupid?

Alliance
No. Government in brilliant.

Shakyamunison
No. Government in brilliant.

confused What? Is there a typo here?

debbiejo
Evangelism is a piece of shit if it doesn't Peace peace..

Alliance
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
confused What? Is there a typo here?

yes. can you find it?

Alliance
Originally posted by debbiejo
Evangelism is a piece of shit if it doesn't Peace peace..

Peace peace peace peace peace...

Shakyamunison
yes. can you find it?

Were ...IS... it? stick out tongue

Alliance
dunno.

debbiejo
Evangelism will be the wars to us all.........in the name of god.

Alliance
The Evangeliwars.

debbiejo
The Evangeliwars. Yep, and should be done away with....If not it will never end, and if people want to learn about a religion then they can research it out themselves.......That's what our brains are for...

Alliance
No. Our brians are to just barely understand what god has so explicitly told us. Then we turn them off and do what our preacher tells us.

...and they complain about popes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.