Cosmics vs Heroes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
Somebody on another board perfectly summed up my feelings regarding comic universes powering up its lifeforms to stupid levels.

Sol Invictus from SHC
I'm not making a statement about the power levels as they are. I'm talking about how they should be. When whole planets are full of guys who could, potentially, become powerful enough to beat the living **** out of universal principles, there's something wrong.

That sums it up. When you have a character, who can possibly become more powerful than a universal power, there's a definite problem.

I'll toss out some names.

Genis Vell
Superman Prime
UniLord Surfer

and the list goes on.

When you have a character, who may be powerful enough to defeat a universal representation, well goddamn it, you just broke your universe!!

IF such a being is born, or gifted from a Serum(sentry), then there is a major problem. Such power has to be manifested, or you cheapen it. And not manifested under a sun, or moon bs.

Thats why whenever i see, "RKT can beat Galactus", or "Superman Prime stalemates the Spectre," it really pisses me off. Whenever you have a character that can possibly beat Galactus on up, and its not another abstract, then the sense has just flown out the window.

Am i the only one who's bothered by this trend of obscenely powering up characters??

golem370
Well It maybe a balance because when Thanos took Eternity's role in the Universe Living Tribunal did not interfere because of Survival of the Fittest. He took control of Eternity's place in the cosmic scheme of things.

Juntai
Superman is a universal force though.
"I can't explain it... but all things come from Superman." - Alexander Luthor, describing Superman's importance to the multiverse as he pulls it apart.

Darkseid also noted The Source protects Superman when trying to Omega Effect him.

In Our Worlds at War, the representation of the universe, Kismet, melded with Superman to defeat Imperiex.

golem370
DC is supose to be Judeo Christian believeing company but there comics are fiction so when the Supreme Being in DC is Yahwie doesn't that kinda brings there Non-Fiction believes into a Fictional work of art?

UniOmni
Originally posted by Juntai
Superman is a universal force though.
"I can't explain it... but all things come from Superman." - Alexander Luthor, describing Superman's importance to the multiverse as he pulls it apart.

Darkseid also noted The Source protects Superman when trying to Omega Effect him.

In Our Worlds at War, the representation of the universe, Kismet, melded with Superman to defeat Imperiex.

I think the whole "all things come from superman" is simply a nod to the fact that he was the first conventional superhero. But for him to be a universal force, requires him to have been there in the universes beginning.
The DCU existed in comic continuity for billions of years before he was born.
So i don't buy into the universal force thing.

I always saw it like this.
Earth is the lynchpin.....Don't know why, DC never bothered to explain why such a rinky dink planet is the key to it all, but it is.
Superman is the premier hero of Earth, so as the key protector, he would be seen as necessary. Necessary to the earth, which in turn is necessary to the universe. Thats as much as i'm willing to give.
But universal force?? Ha!
And did the whole universal force thing come from the Trial Of Superman thing?? Cuz to me, that was a bj of the highest order, to the Superman name.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by UniOmni
But for him to be a universal force, requires him to have been there in the universes beginning.Jean Grey was not there at the universe's beginning. She is a universal force. smile

UniOmni
Yeah, but Jean Grey also was retconned into being the force made flesh. If you're a Christian/knowing of them, you'll understand my analogy.

Jesus was God made flesh. But God was there in the beginning. Doesn't take away from Jesus.

The PF was there in the beginning. Jean is just it made flesh. Simple.
And prior to the retcon, Jean contacted the PF. So either way, the PF was there from the beginning.

Rols
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Jean Grey was not there at the universe's beginning. She is a universal force. smile

Jean Grey is not a univesal force, its the phoenix force that resides within her.

xmarksthespot
Yeah, but Jean Grey also was retconned into being the force made flesh. If you're a Christian/knowing of them, you'll understand my analogy.

Jesus was God made flesh. But God was there in the beginning. Doesn't take away from Jesus.

The PF was there in the beginning. Jean is just it made flesh. Simple.
And prior to the retcon, Jean contacted the PF. So either way, the PF was there from the beginning. Apparently it's Kabbalah shifty...

I thought Jesus was supposed to be the son of god.

Everything was there at the universe's beginning... because... it's the universe...

UniOmni
Jesus (imo) was the Son of God. And the bible says he's God made flesh.

xmarksthespot
Jesus (imo) was the Son of God. And the bible says he's God made flesh. Without getting into a deep theological discussion... how can you be your own son... confused

newjak86
Without getting into a deep theological discussion... how can you be your own son... confused People for thousands of years have been debating that statement.

UniOmni
Without getting into a deep theological discussion... how can you be your own son... confused

If you look at it in the physical manner, then yeah its impossible.
But as Lucifer, he is the Will of Yahweh made flesh. Nobody doubts that he is his son.

In the Bible, Jesus is Gods love and grace, made flesh. If you are looking for a mother in that equation, that might explain the doubt/reservations you have.

bigbran
an explanation is of hulk, having supposed infinate strength. my god, he got his strength from a bomb!!! but galactus got his powers from the big bang, and a cosmic egg!!!

Superboy Prime
You can be your own son when you're God.

Makes sense to me.

bigbran
or anyone beating galactus!!! hmm avengers, alpha flight, fantastic four.... its all pis, hes a god!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.